Athens Transportation: Airport >> Ship //Airport >> Hotel // Hotel >> Ship

Bruin Steve

On 7/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Athens Airport Taxi | Taxi – Minivan – Minibus

info@athensairport.taxi

TEL. 0030 694 164 94 64

Bruin Steve, the last time we arrived Athens airport we pre-booked a limo who was parked way out in a lot.....so we had to schlep all the luggage a long way in the heat.  Not fun!  Was your taxi parked closer to the building? Thanks for all your advice on this!

Last trip to Greece we spent several hours after landing in Athens waiting for our flight to Ioannini.  Much of it outside walking around for exercise and having a bite to eat at the food stalls.  

We say many, many taxis lined up and many others what appeared to be a taxi waiting area.   

I would not be concerned about the availability of taxis.  Tourism is down, there are still probably the same number of taxis.  

My guess is that getting a cab at the airport will be a snap.

17 hours ago, iancal said:

Last trip to Greece we spent several hours after landing in Athens waiting for our flight to Ioannini.  Much of it outside walking around for exercise and having a bite to eat at the food stalls.  

We say many, many taxis lined up and many others what appeared to be a taxi waiting area.   

I would not be concerned about the availability of taxis.  Tourism is down, there are still probably the same number of taxis.  

My guess is that getting a cab at the airport will be a snap.

I am at the airport right now doing as you did. There are a million taxis out there just as usual.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marazul said:

I am at the airport right now doing as you did. There are a million taxis out there just as usual.

I would add that when we disembarked, yesterday, from the Seabourn Ovation there were several taxis waiting near the pier.  We asked a taxi driver if he would take us across the harbor which is about a 1 mile run (we needed to get to a ferry).  The driver quickly agreed to a 15 Euro fare for the short hop (I was willing to pay more) and could not have been more helpful.  A taxi from ATH to the port is normally a 55 Euro fee while many drivers want 60Euro from the port to ATH (I have no explanation for the fare difference other then the government controls the fixed fees for transfers from the airport.

Folks might want to consider that with a taxi there is no waiting around for others (or an entire group).  You just get your luggage at ATH (or at the port) walk outside and hop into a taxi.

Hank

50 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would add that when we disembarked, yesterday, from the Seabourn Ovation there were several taxis waiting near the pier.  We asked a taxi driver if he would take us across the harbor which is about a 1 mile run (we needed to get to a ferry).  The driver quickly agreed to a 15 Euro fare for the short hop (I was willing to pay more) and could not have been more helpful.  A taxi from ATH to the port is normally a 55 Euro fee while many drivers want 60Euro from the port to ATH (I have no explanation for the fare difference other then the government controls the fixed fees for transfers from the airport.

Folks might want to consider that with a taxi there is no waiting around for others (or an entire group).  You just get your luggage at ATH (or at the port) walk outside and hop into a taxi.

Hank

Agree. Who want to wait around for some bus to fill up when you can jump into a cab and be on your way.  Often at a cost equal to or less that the cruise line bus...assuming that there are two of you.

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, Bruin Steve said:

To circle back and follow up....since we are now in Athens and leave the hotel for the ship tomorrow.

My wife prefers NOT to take a train or bus...She doesn't want to have to schlepp luggage on or off the vehicle or lift it onto a rack...prefers door-to-door personalized service...so out usual default is Uber, if not a taxi.  I learned on these boards that, due to Greek law, Uber in Athens operates as little more than a taxi intermediary.  So, I scanned the internet, checked websites such as tripadvisor for reviews and compared prices...as well as reviews/ratings.

I learned there is a FIXED fare from the Airport to central Athens hotels of €38...But all taxis/car services don't necessarily abide by this.  I saw several services quoting higher fares.  From hotel to the pier in Piraeus, it's a free-for-all...prices vary widely.

I ended up choosing to go with a company called Athens Airport Taxi.  Good ratings on tripadvisor.  and Emmy from the company was both prompt and responsive.  Quoted me the standard €38 from the airport to the Hilton...and €23 from the Hilton to the pier...Same in reverse.  Emailed reminders the day before the ride each time thus far.  When we got to the airport, after going through passport control and collecting our luggage, the driver was waiting right by the exit door with a sign with our name on it, just as promised.  No payment in advance was required, credit card to the driver at the end of each leg.

So, it will end us costing us €122 total, Airport to Hilton, Hilton to ship, ship to Hilton, Hilton to Airport.  Might have done it a bit cheaper with a bus or train...but this is far easier--door-to-door personalized service.  And the company appears very dependable and honest.

This was such helpful info! I just  made our reservation using the link you had posted…so easy! I do have a question for you…I chose option to “pay the driver” although it said in cash) and noticed you used your credit card…was that at pickup date?  I just wanted to see if that was an option you had?  I had rather pay using my CC at time of service.  Thanks! 

• Like 2

Just a few days ago our cruise ended in Athens.  We used George's taxi for our ride from the cruise port to our Athen's hotel, and the next day, we used them from the hotel to the airport.

The driver was waiting for us at the cruise port holding a card with my name on it.  He carried our luggage to the car.  On the way to the hotel, he showed us points of interest.  He even recommended and drove by 2 restaurants that were super close to our hotel. Very friendly service.

The hotel to airport ride was also very pleasant with a very friendly driver.  The costs for both rides were very reasonable.  I highly recommend this company and have no hesitation to use them again in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:
Just a few days ago our cruise ended in Athens.  We used George's taxi for our ride from the cruise port to our Athen's hotel, and the next day, we used them from the hotel to the airport.

The driver was waiting for us at the cruise port holding a card with my name on it.  He carried our luggage to the car.  On the way to the hotel, he showed us points of interest.  He even recommended and drove by 2 restaurants that were super close to our hotel. Very friendly service.

The hotel to airport ride was also very pleasant with a very friendly driver.  The costs for both rides were very reasonable.  I highly recommend this company and have no hesitation to use them again in the future.

Second the recommendation.  We have been using George's Taxi for many years, starting from when George himself would drive us around in his yellow taxi. This has grown into an excellent full service transfer/tour company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 1:24 PM, marazul said:

Second the recommendation.  We have been using George's Taxi for many years, starting from when George himself would drive us around in his yellow taxi. This has grown into an excellent full service transfer/tour company.

George retired, and now his son, Nicholas runs the business.  Nicholas is very prompt in replying emails and very accommodating of making changes and requests.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

George retired, and now his son, Nicholas runs the business.  Nicholas is very prompt in replying emails and very accommodating of making changes and requests.  

He did about 4 or 5 years ago. At one point his two sons were working in the business. I believe Nicholas is the eldest.

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Athens Transportation: Airport >> Ship //Airport >> Hotel // Hotel >> Ship
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to make arrangements with George's and would appreciate help with what time would work for being picked-up to get to our hotel. How does disembarkation in Athens work? Is there a long customs line, etc? TIA

On 6/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Flying in to Athens in four weeks for Apex B2B cruises, staying pre-cruise 4 nights and post-cruise one night at the Hilton.  Need to figure out ground transportation.  I read somewhere that there are fixed taxi prices for Airport to Central Athens hotels, however I'm seeing some greatly varying quotes.  Also heard Uber works, but really only as a conduit to taxis...which, again, makes me uncomfortable as to possible rates.  Benefit to Uber might be going direct to credit card...but it also looks like I could pre-arrange taxis and charge to card as well.  But thinking it may make sense to have the rides pre-arranged.  I am a little concerned that they tend to ask for time of arrival...and, who knows, with possible flight delays, time to retrieve luggage and time to make it through customs, what time to ask for.  I don't want someone charging me, not waiting and leaving...or charging me a large amount of money for "waiting time"...

Any suggestions?  Is a taxi the way to go?  Should I pre-arrange one or wait and take my chances?  Or is there a better way to get from the airport to the Hilton?  And how about the Hilton to the ship in Pireus?  Basically, the same for the return at end of B2B cruises.  Thanks.

I was looking for a Hilton Property in Athens for next May and none showed up.  Is the Hilton in Athens switching brands soon?

2 hours ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

I was looking for a Hilton Property in Athens for next May and none showed up.  Is the Hilton in Athens switching brands soon?

Think it closed… But there many excellent options available.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:55 PM, MrsKMB said:

I'm trying to make arrangements with George's and would appreciate help with what time would work for being picked-up to get to our hotel. How does disembarkation in Athens work? Is there a long customs line, etc? TIA

You tell them the ship name and date and they will get the port info on disembarkation. They will be waiting for you when you disembark. Ask them whatever questions you have.  They have done this hundreds of times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:24 PM, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

Thought this interesting in that it's ben there forever.  The neighborhood is called "Hilton"!!

So I just checked and found this on Wikipedia:

"The Hilton Athens was a hotel in Athens, Greece. Opened in 1963, it closed for renovations in January 2022 and will reopen as Conrad Athens in 2024. It is on Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, within the Hilton Area, adjacent to the Kolonaki and Pangrati neighbourhoods."

So, yes, it's basically, still under the Hilton umbrella...but closed during the changeover.  BTW, the views--especially if you're on a high floor on the side of the hotel facing the Acropolis (like we were), fantastic...View from our room (disclaimer--zoom lens used):DSCN6662.thumb.JPG.afeea4b816ec78b543460ac4f5e7ef8b.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 4:54 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Thought this interesting in that it's ben there forever.  The neighborhood is called "Hilton"!!

So I just checked and found this on Wikipedia:

"The Hilton Athens was a hotel in Athens, Greece. Opened in 1963, it closed for renovations in January 2022 and will reopen as Conrad Athens in 2024. It is on Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, within the Hilton Area, adjacent to the Kolonaki and Pangrati neighbourhoods."

So, yes, it's basically, still under the Hilton umbrella...but closed during the changeover.  BTW, the views--especially if you're on a high floor on the side of the hotel facing the Acropolis (like we were), fantastic...View from our room (disclaimer--zoom lens used):DSCN6662.thumb.JPG.afeea4b816ec78b543460ac4f5e7ef8b.JPG

Thanks for the update

• 1 month later...

Our ship arrives at Athens at 4 AM.

Our flight leaves at 9:30 AM  I suppose we would be able to "walk off" the ship by 6:30 to 7 AM

will there be taxis that early a the port or should we pre-reserve?

Thoughts on 9:30 AM flight...it was the only one with a semi-sane schedule

• 3 weeks later...

On the transportation front, I highly recommend John Kontzialis - john.kontzialis@gmail.com. I can't seem to find his cell phone number, but I think we used What's app after we made initial contact via email. He was super helpful, nice to chat with, etc. On one of the legs of our trip he couldn't pick us up and found an equally nice colleague to get us. This was last summer but I doubt much has changed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For our Oct-Nov 2022 Azamara Pursuit cruise, our group of 8 seniors used Spiros Taxi Service / Elite Tours for Airport-Hotel and Hotel-Piraeus transfers, as well as a one day tour of Sparta and Mistras. Price is reasonable and service is excellent. I even recommended Spiros to other cruisers on our ship who was happy with Spiros' service too. He responds very quickly. WhatsApp +30 694 428 5686

• 4 weeks later...

We used George's taxi in October and were absolutely amazed at the quality of the service when juxtaposed to that in other ports in Europe and the Middle East. They were prompt, professional, well priced and went way above our expectations, including arranging an additional private guide for us sensitive to my wheelchair needs.  In addition and as others have said, Nicolas is responsive and Kostas our  driver didn't just spout the usual tourist talk track. He was responsive to many questions that helped us experience what it is (was) really like to live in Greece. That's an important aspect of travel for us.

TripAdvisor has them at 5 stars and I can see why:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g189400-d1905851-Reviews-George_s_Taxi-Athens_Attica.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1