Two questions regarding sailing from Seattle in Sept

We are booked on the Ovation on Sept 3 to Alaska. We have two questions w the first being the easiest.

1. Where, near the pier or Marriott Waterfront, can we buy two bottles of wine to take on ship with us? We like good/more expensive wine so

need a wine shop or a place a bit better than a grocery store.

2. We were in Seattle for a week in fall of 2019 and fell in love with it. I know there are some concerns w safety now. We plan to fly in 2 days before the cruise 

and stay for 2 days after the cruise. I have our agenda pretty much planned. Is there anyplace we should avoid now that was safe in 2019.....

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t have an answer for you, but are you going to see the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum? It’s beautiful and well worth it.

We spent an evening here in 2019. We loved it! It was one of our favorite places.

• Like 1

For wine you might try Pike & Western Wine Shop located across the street from Pike Place Market (towards the far end of the Market).  There is a Total Wine located closer to Pier 91, which would be an Uber drive away (and not walking distance from Pier 91).

• Like 1

I was there in May and took myself on my own little wine tour.

So the closest I went to your hotel was White Heron Cellars which is in Pike's Market (a level down from street level). Pretty decent stuff - they have a wine tasting of all their stuff. 

The other 3 I went to are a bit farther away, but all close to each other. Browne Family Vineyards, Locust Wine, and Foundary Vineyards. The latter is a much smaller area if you want to do the tasting so I would call to reserve a time. They're all Washington wines. 

I actually walked to the other 3 from the first one so they're not that far. I strolled along the waterfront until I needed so it was a nice walk. I took the light rail back since I was carrying wine bottles and it was right there - but the stop was closer to my hotel than it would be yours. 

As for safety - it wasn't too bad. There was one or two streets that had camps set up on them, but I just avoided going down that street and I was otherwise left alone. I stayed at the Hilton on 6th and walked all around there with no problem.

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

As for safety - it wasn't too bad. There was one or two streets that had camps set up on them, but I just avoided going down that street and I was otherwise left alone.

Daytime and early evening seem to be ok.  It's later when things are getting dicey.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who has responded w suggestions. It is very much appreciated!!

No, I didn't mean to post on that forum and I am sad to see snarky responses. I posted here because I know some of the posters would give me informative, trust worthy answers. When I have posted in less active forums, I dont get as many responses, hence me coming here. Not that I owe anyone an explanation.....

If you dont like my question, dont be a hateful jerk...just scroll by and ignore it!!!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I was there in May and took myself on my own little wine tour.

So the closest I went to your hotel was White Heron Cellars which is in Pike's Market (a level down from street level). Pretty decent stuff - they have a wine tasting of all their stuff. 

The other 3 I went to are a bit farther away, but all close to each other. Browne Family Vineyards, Locust Wine, and Foundary Vineyards. The latter is a much smaller area if you want to do the tasting so I would call to reserve a time. They're all Washington wines. 

I actually walked to the other 3 from the first one so they're not that far. I strolled along the waterfront until I needed so it was a nice walk. I took the light rail back since I was carrying wine bottles and it was right there - but the stop was closer to my hotel than it would be yours. 

As for safety - it wasn't too bad. There was one or two streets that had camps set up on them, but I just avoided going down that street and I was otherwise left alone. I stayed at the Hilton on 6th and walked all around there with no problem.

Thank you very much for this detailed reply. We love wine tasting and we will definitely try a few of these places!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Daytime and early evening seem to be ok.  It's later when things are getting dicey.

I wasn't out super late at night. Usually back in the hotel between 10-12. But night time was less wandering and more going to specific places. I did steer clear of the few pockets though. Definitely a little more sketch than when I was there 2 years ago, but maybe living downtown in my city makes me not too bothered as long as I'm left alone - which I was on that trip. 

• Like 1