Any advice appreciated on what to do in Boston (and Cape Cod)

ontheweb

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

How times have changed.When I was in HS and presumably you as well,nobody went to visit perspective colleges .Very few people that I knew went to out of town colleges.I actually only had one friend who did,he went to Harvard.

I went to the college out of town that I eventually attended. In fact I spent some overnight time there staying with a friend and neighbor who at the time was a freshman.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I went to the college out of town that I eventually attended. In fact I spent some overnight time there staying with a friend and neighbor who at the time was a freshman.

And I just remembered, it was not the only school I visited. There was another one, and we were somewhat lost. So my Dad stopped the car, and asked directions. And it turned out we were right by a billboard that was pointing in the direction of the college in question. LOL

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And I just remembered, it was not the only school I visited. There was another one, and we were somewhat lost. So my Dad stopped the car, and asked directions. And it turned out we were right by a billboard that was pointing in the direction of the college in question. LOL

My parents never owned a car ,therefore there were limitations.My father had a great desire for me to attend the Cornell School of Industrial Relations.If I had the grades presumably we would have found a way to visit there.However,I had an excellent education at Brooklyn College and never regretted going there.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My parents never owned a car ,therefore there were limitations.My father had a great desire for me to attend the Cornell School of Industrial Relations.If I had the grades presumably we would have found a way to visit there.However,I had an excellent education at Brooklyn College and never regretted going there.

At your height, you should have had the basketball coach have your name given to the admissions office.

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I played semi pro basketball for two years.

You could have sharpened your skills by attending Cornell instead. You would have experienced playing against Bill Bradley. I missed seeing him as an opponent by one year. I did see Dave Bing with Syracuse play against us one year.

And I did get to see future Hall of Fame goalie Ken Dryden play his college career and the team win an NCAA championship.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

How times have changed.When I was in HS and presumably you as well,nobody went to visit perspective colleges .Very few people that I knew went to out of town colleges.I actually only had one friend who did,he went to Harvard.

Now it seems that the young want to go across the country as a primary decider.  I made it clear to my lot that they should limit their search to a 500 mile radius — as air fare in addition to tuition was too much.   My four went as far south as Virginia and up to Maine - which provides a pretty wide range.  

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You could have sharpened your skills by attending Cornell instead. You would have experienced playing against Bill Bradley. I missed seeing him as an opponent by one year. I did see Dave Bing with Syracuse play against us one year.

And I did get to see future Hall of Fame goalie Ken Dryden play his college career and the team win an NCAA championship.

Cornell was not going to admit a 6’5 guy who did not meet the academic requirements .My good friend from HS ,Steve Rubell played LaCrosse for Syracuse and got to know Dave Bing and Vaughn Harper.I met the latter .

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cornell was not going to admit a 6’5 guy who did not meet the academic requirements .My good friend from HS ,Steve Rubell played LaCrosse for Syracuse and got to know Dave Bing and Vaughn Harper.I met the latter .

I think the hockey team may very well have snuck some players in who would not have normally met the academic standards.

And I thought I remembered you posting that you were 6 foot 7 inches tall.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Now it seems that the young want to go across the country as a primary decider.  I made it clear to my lot that they should limit their search to a 500 mile radius — as air fare in addition to tuition was too much.   My four went as far south as Virginia and up to Maine - which provides a pretty wide range.  

One of mine went to a college in upstate NY.Her husband is a graduate of a college in Virginia.

My other one and her future husband are graduates of the same college as my wife and I which was in NYC.Our post grad endeavors were at colleges also in NYC but not the same as our undergrad.

My daughter who went to college in upstate NY has 3 Masters degrees in NY colleges.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I think the hockey team may very well have snuck some players in who would not have normally met the academic standards.

And I thought I remembered you posting that you were 6 foot 7 inches tall.

Technically ,I was 6’4 and 3/4.When I was on the basketball team they had me listed as 6’6 but I suggested that they not do that and they listed me as 6’5.I would tend to believe that the hockey team would only do that if the prospective student was a very good player.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Technically ,I was 6’4 and 3/4.When I was on the basketball team they had me listed as 6’6 but I suggested that they not do that and they listed me as 6’5.I would tend to believe that the hockey team would only do that if the prospective student was a very good player.

They won the NCAA championship during Dryden's sophomore year. And again the year after he (and I) graduated. There were a lot of very, very good players. The coach, Ned Harkness, also ended up coaching the Detroit Redwings in the NHL, though he was not successful at that level.

And please do not take anything in this post to imply that Ken Dryden was not a real student.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, lenquixote66 said:

One of the state colleges at Cornell - Industrial and Labor Relations - referred to as ILR (and more casually referred to as “I Love Relaxation” — along with Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, and Home Economics (now Human Ecology) - that mix of state and private colleges in one university made Cornell unique in the Ivy League.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:46 PM, ontheweb said:

They won the NCAA championship during Dryden's sophomore year. And again the year after he (and I) graduated. There were a lot of very, very good players. The coach, Ned Harkness, also ended up coaching the Detroit Redwings in the NHL, though he was not successful at that level.

And please do not take anything in this post to imply that Ken Dryden was not a real student.

The college that you are a graduate of is an excellent institution .I do not believe you ever mentioned your major but I am sure that being a graduate enhanced your career.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One of the state colleges at Cornell - Industrial and Labor Relations - referred to as ILR (and more casually referred to as “I Love Relaxation” — along with Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, and Home Economics (now Human Ecology) - that mix of state and private colleges in one university made Cornell unique in the Ivy League.

I was initially a pre DVMD student.I would have loved to have the opportunity to study it there.I could have gone to Farmingdale but erred in judgement by not thinking I could get a good education there.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:39 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I remember the ILR school being referred to as "I Love Reading". And the Agriculture school is now know as Agriculture and Life Sciences.