Any advice appreciated on what to do in Boston (and Cape Cod)

ontheweb

11 hours ago, WatchHill said:

Yes, it is terminal C (Jet Blue)

i tried that link and for the shuttle it asks me for the age of the seniors when I put in 2 seniors, but it seems to only be allowing me to put in the age of senior #1. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

https://www.shuttlefare.com/hilton_back_bay_boston

Is this the shuttle service? I put in 2 passengers, but you can put in arrival and flight date/details. Best to call to confirm, I never trust any of these online reservations systems. Also checking with the hotel directly might give you up to date options. Though Rome2Rio is usually very good - it seems to be time sensitive to travel traffic. Hate to sit in Boston traffic in a taxi $$$. 

The Logan Express used to offer a free run to the Back Bay, but that has been suspended due to covid. We always use Logan Express, parking our car in Braintree [only $7./day - cheap compared to Logan or any Boston parking fees]. LX used to do three trips per hour, now only one each hour. 

I the past 16 months I've accumulated lots of FF miles [and not from flying] on my Jet Blue CC transferring to my True Blue account. Next year JB flies BOS to LHR and I have enough for mint, yea!

Darcy

In all honesty, take an Uber or cab.

Otherwise, you can take the Silver Line to South Station, then transfer to Red Line to Downtown Crossing, then either Orange Line to Hynes Convention Center, or Green Line to Prudential.

I agree with everyone above. From the airport to the Hilton take a taxi or Uber.  Trip by T is free (all outbound Silver Line from the airport is free) but requires 3 changes and once you get off the T the walking route to the hotel is odd unless you've done it before (Welcome to Boston!) and once you've walked it it will all make sense 😉

Silver Line from Airport to South Station. Transfer (free) to Red Line toward Alewife. Get off Red Line at Park Street.  Take either the B, C, or D Green Line trolley and get off at the Hynes Convention Center stop. Go up to Massachusetts Avenue. Turn left out of the station (you will cross over the Mass.Turnpike) to Boylston St. Cross Boylston and turn left. Follow Boylston to Dalton (2nd street on your right). Hilton is slightly down hill.

OR at Park Street change to the E Green Line. Get off at the Prudential Stop. Walk a short distance on Huntington to Belvedere St. (at the corner of Huntington/Belvedere you'll see the water fountains at the Christian Science Mother Church). Follow Belvedere to Dalton. Note the E Green Line on Huntington Ave  is what you'll take to the MFA and the Isabella Stewart Gardner (outbound) or to the Boston Public Library/Copley Square (inbound).

Edited by Traveling Library
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Traveling Library said:

I agree with everyone above. From the airport to the Hilton take a taxi or Uber.  Trip by T is free (all outbound Silver Line from the airport is free) but requires 3 changes and once you get off the T the walking route to the hotel is odd unless you've done it before (Welcome to Boston!) and once you've walked it it will all make sense 😉

Silver Line from Airport to South Station. Transfer (free) to Red Line toward Alewife. Get off Red Line at Park Street.  Take either the B, C, or D Green Line trolley and get off at the Hynes Convention Center stop. Go up to Massachusetts Avenue. Turn left out of the station (you will cross over the Mass.Turnpike) to Boylston St. Cross Boylston and turn left. Follow Boylston to Dalton (2nd street on your right). Hilton is slightly down hill.

OR at Park Street change to the E Green Line. Get off at the Prudential Stop. Walk a short distance on Huntington to Belvedere St. (at the corner of Huntington/Belvedere you'll see the water fountains at the Christian Science Mother Church). Follow Belvedere to Dalton. Note the E Green Line on Huntington Ave  is what you'll take to the MFA and the Isabella Stewart Gardner (outbound) or to the Boston Public Library/Copley Square (inbound).

Approximately what should a taxi cost?

I found this site with Lyft for $80 round trip.

Find a Quote - Jayride

1 hour ago, Traveling Library said:

If we take those first direction (second paragraph of your post), do we need whatever tokens of however they charge in advance?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

If we take those first direction (second paragraph of your post), do we need whatever tokens of however they charge in advance?

I don't know what a taxi would cost but $80 seems high. I'm sure if you call the Hilton they can give you a ballpark figure.  As for the T as long as you start at the airport on the Silver Line and make the transfers as noted there is no charge for the trip and transfers for the trolley system are free.  If you decide to use the T after you get to the hotel you can either buy a day pass or just pay for each fare as you go.  No more tokens on the T. Payment is by Charlie Ticket/Charlie Card.

Note that on the T the only portion of the trip that will have a place for your luggage is the Silver Line. The rest of the trip (Red and Green lines) will be regular trolley cars.  If you can handle your luggage then go for it! 

Once you get settled I highly recommend a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden. This is also near Cheers and the Make Way for Ducklings statues.  Also the Boston Public Library has wonderful John Singer Sargent murals (these are in the old McKim Building) and a really nice take-out cafe in the library's Johnson Building. You can take your take-out and sit in the library courtyard if you wish.  If you like baseball, and I don't know if the Sox will be in town, you can take a tour of Fenway Park. And the Duck Tour leaves from the Prudential aka "The Pru" is fun because part of it is on the Charles River.

Food:  My two favorite places for seafood are Jasper White's Summer Shack which is just next door to your hotel, and The Barking Crab on the Ft. Point Channel. Also near the hotel (and other locations) is Joanne Chang's WONDERFUL bakery Flour. 

What ever you do. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

I don't know what a taxi would cost but $80 seems high. I'm sure if you call the Hilton they can give you a ballpark figure.  As for the T as long as you start at the airport on the Silver Line and make the transfers as noted there is no charge for the trip and transfers for the trolley system are free.  If you decide to use the T after you get to the hotel you can either buy a day pass or just pay for each fare as you go.  No more tokens on the T. Payment is by Charlie Ticket/Charlie Card.

Note that on the T the only portion of the trip that will have a place for your luggage is the Silver Line. The rest of the trip (Red and Green lines) will be regular trolley cars.  If you can handle your luggage then go for it! 

Once you get settled I highly recommend a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden. This is also near Cheers and the Make Way for Ducklings statues.  Also the Boston Public Library has wonderful John Singer Sargent murals (these are in the old McKim Building) and a really nice take-out cafe in the library's Johnson Building. You can take your take-out and sit in the library courtyard if you wish.  If you like baseball, and I don't know if the Sox will be in town, you can take a tour of Fenway Park. And the Duck Tour leaves from the Prudential aka "The Pru" is fun because part of it is on the Charles River.

Food:  My two favorite places for seafood are Jasper White's Summer Shack which is just next door to your hotel, and The Barking Crab on the Ft. Point Channel. Also near the hotel (and other locations) is Joanne Chang's WONDERFUL bakery Flour. 

Thanks again. I think that $80 fare was roundtrip.

4 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

Could you tell me if any of these locations* are close to us at the Hilton?

535 Boyston Street  Floor 1

1 Union Street near Faneiul Hall

185 Franklin Street Suite 105

* locations of TD bank with ATMs that I could use their debit card if we needed cash

Also if we got to the trolley and found out we could not at that point handle the luggage, I suppose we could then get a taxi and at least be closer.

Could you tell me if any of these locations* are close to us at the Hilton?

535 Boyston Street  Floor 1

This is the closest of the 3 sites to your hotel. It is near the Copley T stop on the Green Line 

1 Union Street near Faneuil Hall

This is downtown near the Government Center T stop on the Green Line and in the opposite direction from Park Street and your hotel.

185 Franklin Street Suite 105

This is downtown nearest to South Station. 

You probably would find the most taxis near South Station since it is also the Amtrak station. If you get to Park Street you probably will have to try to flag down a taxi from the street.   I checked Uber and $40 plus tip sounds about right for a 1 way fare from the Airport to the Hotel

* locations of TD bank with ATMs that I could use their debit card if we needed cash

Also if we got to the trolley and found out we could not at that point handle the luggage, I suppose we could then get a taxi and at least be closer.

• Thanks 1

When we spent a day in Boston our last cruise since we have spent time there before, we took the ferry over to Salem and had lunch and walked around town. Beautiful little town. We were there early September and weather and temperatures were lovely. 

Since we have been on sailings many times that have included Boston we are now starting to just do our own thing. Maybe we will see a new tour we maybe interested in trying.

As said in the past, just like to walk around, have a delightful meal in one of the restaurants we research ahead of time. We also like to walk around the Commons and Public Gardens. 

We also use the time to pickup any necessary items we need to use on the ship.

We have done alot in the past. Freedom Trail, Bus Tours, Walking Tours and roam around the streets.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, princeton123211 said:

You'll want to check out the Isabella St

On 7/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, Traveling Library said:

Boston has a great public transportation system called the "T" (short for MBTA).  From the port you can take the Silver Line (it's a bus) to South Station. From South Station you can walk along the waterfront to the North End (Italian District, Paul Revere House, Old North Church) or hop on the Red Line at South Station (transfers are free) to Cambridge to visit Harvard Yard (best view of the city is from the Red Line going over the Charles River) or take the Red Line to Downtown Crossing and head up Winter St. to the Common to get to the Freedom Trail and the Black Heritage Trail. Walk thru the Common to the Public Garden and take a ride on the Swan Boats.  I also second the recommendation to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  The T has an excellent website with a travel planner option. https://www.mbta.com/trip-planner

As for Cape Cod other than taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown you will need a car. Boston has Carson Beach. While your wife sunbathes you can visit the 1812 fort at Castle Island.

ewart Gardner Museum in addition to the Museum of Fine Arts-- they are very close to each other.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, princeton123211 said:

You'll want to check out the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in addition to the Museum of Fine Arts-- they are very close to each other. 

All or some of the Freedom Trail is highly worthwhile. While some of it is touristy it gives you a great overview of the city of Boston. 

If they cover multiple places you plan on visiting then it might be worth it. Typically we don't use them that often when we visit cities unless there is a really compelling reason. 

You'll need to rent a car and you are about 1.5-2 hours from most beaches in Cape Cod. If being at the beach is that important have you considered staying a night down there? The Chatham Bars Inn is a favorite spot and is right on the water. 

DW earlier today bought timed tickets to both the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Gardner Museum.

Let me try that last post since it did not really come out.

DW earlier today booked timed tickets to both the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (including the Monet exhibit) and the Isabella Gardner Museum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

DW earlier today booked timed tickets to both the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (including the Monet exhibit)

I wish you hadn't posted that! No way we'll be in Boston during that exhibit, but quite possibly my favorite, at least of the impressionists. 

In 2018, we were in England for business with an add on to Stratford-upon-Avon and took the train into London from Birmingham. We weren't jetlagged, and had a good afternoon waiting on the room at our hotel. Unknown to us, the National Gallery had an Monet and Architecture exhibit. The most Monets we'd ever seen in one place, and some very unique ones! Actually bought the catalog and lugged it back to Virginia! 

Enjoy!

8 hours ago, markeb said:

I wish you hadn't posted that! No way we'll be in Boston during that exhibit, but quite possibly my favorite, at least of the impressionists. 

In 2018, we were in England for business with an add on to Stratford-upon-Avon and took the train into London from Birmingham. We weren't jetlagged, and had a good afternoon waiting on the room at our hotel. Unknown to us, the National Gallery had an Monet and Architecture exhibit. The most Monets we'd ever seen in one place, and some very unique ones! Actually bought the catalog and lugged it back to Virginia! 

Enjoy!

When we were in Paris (a land trip, not a cruise, and we actually landed there on our wedding anniversary), Monet's Gardens was of course on the bucket list. DW wanted a tee shirt as a souvenir, but they seemed to only have large sizes and childrens's sizes. I found one small for her, and she went to buy it and the cashier said this will never fit, and took it out of its package and held it up against her. The size was perfect! 

We're flying tomorrow morning, but will leave today and stay overnight in a motel in NJ near the airport that will allow us to park the car and have a shuttle to and from the airport. Otherwise we would have to leave here and drive to Newark about 4:30 tomorrow.

Yesterday, I printed the time tickets that DW bought for The Boston Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Gardner Mueum.

I will try to report back after we return, but it might take a bit of time as there will be other things to catch up on.

And thank you to everyone who posted with advice. It is greatly appreciated.

To get to the Cape, the Cape Flyer train service is now available on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, from South Station to Hyannis. Buses are also available.  From Hyannis, the Cape Cod Regional Transportation System offers buses to various towns, all the way out to P-town.

Our personal favorite for Cape beaches is Lighthouse Beach in Chatham.  But, even with trains or buses, Chatham is 4 hours from Boston.  As others have said, driving to the Cape in summer is an experience not generally recommended, and buses will suffer the same delays.

Just a reminder....masks are required on the MBTA. 

Enjoy Boston, take in the swan boats on Boston Common, enjoy the museums.  If you can fit it in, wander the North End and enjoy dinner at one of the many Italian restaurants.

IMO, the Cape is best enjoyed in the early fall when most of the tourists have left. 

Darcy

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Mid-September to early October gives you the least crowded, best weather, and warmest seawater on the Cape.

Plus, we can get into our favorite restaurants without lengthy wait times. And getting over the Bourne Bridge without delay!  It's also the perfect time to bike/walk/run along the canal. We used to keep our sail boat in Wareham and sailed Buzzards Bay - early fall was the best!

Darcy

On 7/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, Traveling Library said:

Basically worked perfectly. We did need help finding where we could get the Silver Line. And the funny thing is the bag was easier to handle on the Green Line. The others had the place to put bags, but they were full and I just had to keep the suitcase by me. On the Green Line, it was so empty, I just put it on a seat.

• Thanks 1