Mask wearing still required for fully vaccinated ship on Serenade of the Seas out of Seattle?

23 hours ago, dvdgunner said:

That is exactly how I felt, I have no interest in sailing on a ship of unvaccinated adults. I too felt that I was going to not have any restrictions. Ever since New York hit 70% vaccinated over a month ago we stopped all mask requirements unless people choose to wear them. Stinks the thought of paying for a vacation and having to do something we no longer do in public. Like before I am totally for masks but not after the majority of people that are vulnerable are protected. Just my opinion though.

I am of the same opinion but I've been told I'm beating a dead horse.

• Like 1

I was definitely surprised, as I assumed this cruise was 95% vaccinated. Guess I will be doing a lot of drinking in the Solarium if it means I can keep my mask off 🙂 

Definitely disappointed but not a game changer for us. My husband is in the military and didn't want to request elevated approval to leave the country so Alaska worked well for us. We haven't taken a cruise together in 2.5 years due to rigorous training in 2019 and then the pandemic hitting. This was the best time for us to take a vacation with his schedule and it checked all the boxes.

If we have to wear a mask occasionally, it's fine and we will deal. I do expect this to change by the end of the month (hopefully). If not, it's a much needed vacation and we eat and drink most of the time anyway. I am just happy we don't need to worry about any extra testing for vaccinated passengers like Bahamas itinerary.

• Like 1

I am fully vaccinated. I follow all masking rules. I just travelled from Tampa to San Diego and back on business. 10-14 hours of wearing a mask (with my fogging glasses) was no fun. If that is the requirement on a cruise, I'll wait. No big deal. #firstworldproblems #getvaxxed.

Still hoping our 2022 cruises to Europe and Australia will happen.

Also, since my grandkids can't get vaccinated yet (too young) I took a covid test 3 days after my outbound flight, 3 days after my return flight, and will take another test one week after my return flight. #keepthose babiessafe

Edited by cruisin from florida
  • Like 2

I will first point out that Washington State (and the city of Seattle) no longer has a masking requirement. (effective June 30)  What Royal is doing with the protocols onboard the Serenade and Ovation are a result of then plans they made in conjunction with the CDC.

As long as are passenger that are too young to be vaccinated, they can not achieve 100%  vaccination.  In the information listed on Royals site there will be some venues that are only for vaccinated  passengers. I expect that masking requirements will be adjusted at times.  The number of unvaccinated should decrease when school starts in September.     

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I will first point out that Washington State (and the city of Seattle) no longer has a masking requirement. (effective June 30)  What Royal is doing with the protocols onboard the Serenade and Ovation are a result of then plans they made in conjunction with the CDC.

As long as are passenger that are too young to be vaccinated, they can not achieve 100%  vaccination.  In the information listed on Royals site there will be some venues that are only for vaccinated  passengers. I expect that masking requirements will be adjusted at times.  The number of unvaccinated should decrease when school starts in September.     

A bit of a correction,  Masks are required on Metro Transit in Seattle.  I assume the Light Rail requires them as well.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, tampadee said:

CDC is no longer collecting data on breakthrough Covid cases.  It is unknown how effective the vaccine is against variants.  

True but misleading. A lot is unknown about covid in general. CDC stopped tracking breakthrough cases because they are such a small percentage and very low chance of serious symptoms/complications/hospitalization/death. 99.2% of US June covid deaths were unvaxxed people. 

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/unvaccinated-individuals-now-account-for-the-vast-majority-of-covid-19-hospitalizations-and-deaths-in-the-u-s-according-to-available-data/

On 7/6/2021 at 6:43 PM, cruisin from florida said:

I am fully vaccinated. I follow all masking rules. I just travelled from Tampa to San Diego and back on business. 10-14 hours of wearing a mask (with my fogging glasses) was no fun. If that is the requirement on a cruise, I'll wait. No big deal. #firstworldproblems #getvaxxed.

Also, since my grandkids can't get vaccinated yet (too young) I took a covid test 3 days after my outbound flight, 3 days after my return flight, and will take another test one week after my return flight. #keepthose babiessafe

Next time you wear a mask, place a folded or cut paper towel between your mask and nose. Helps with the condensation.  It really works!  Safe travels to you.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:43 PM, cruisin from florida said:

This is what I do with the tissue.

https://timeinthemarket.com/how-to-easily-stop-your-mask-from-fogging-up-your-glasses/

13 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I tried something similar but the tissue was too small and soft and didn't stay in place.  I find, for me, paper towel stays in place.  Good we have something that works for each of us. Let's hope the day will come soon when this pandemic will be in the past and we can enjoy life to the fullest once more.

• Like 1

I assume that my August 13th Ovation cruise will have different protocols than the first Serenade cruise.  If they don't drop the mask requirements I'll deal with it but I have a balcony that I can hang out on mask less. 

There's spray out there you can put on your glasses that works pretty good to stop the fogging. I was able to go from May weather in Florida into a hockey arena with no fogging. You just have to reapply it every time you clean your glasses. 

I'm on the 8/20 sailing and I was also under the impression that masks would not be required, so I'm disappointed as well. I did choose RCCL because I'm traveling with my 8-year-old son and I couldn't take him on the other cruise lines. We discussed it, and decided not to let the mask policy ruin our fun. It doesn't really change anything for us, but it makes me really nervous what other changes they may make before sailing, you know? 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:54 AM, smplybcause said:

There's spray out there you can put on your glasses that works pretty good to stop the fogging. I was able to go from May weather in Florida into a hockey arena with no fogging. You just have to reapply it every time you clean your glasses. 

Been doing this for decades...

We just rub some IVORY soap on the lenses and buff them off....

(1) Does Soap Work to Keep Glasses from Fogging! - Eye Doctor Reviews - YouTube

Edited by boscobeans

This probably has everything to do with the 95% requirement with the CDC.  I just sailed the Adventure out of Nassau on 6/19.  The ship had requirement for all guests vaccinated 16 years or older.  No mask wearing by vaccinated guests anywhere on the ship or CoCo Cay.  Unvaccinated kids only had to wear masks inside.  We sailed with just about 1020 guests.  We had about 80 unvaccinated kids onboard.  So we were at a ~92% vaccinated rate.  But being in Bahamas we still sailed with no masks.  So you can see it doesn't take much to fall under the 95% and based on RCL policies they really have no way to control that number, so hence the requirement for mask by everyone indoors.  I can't imagine them doing the 95% calculation at the start of each sailing and then adjusting the mask policy for that sailing, way too much confusion.  Maybe with the requirement now at 12 years and older for vaccinations that will tip it over the 95%.  I think this is why Carnival has the policy for granting exceptions for vaccinations for anyone not vaccinated (kids under age or adults with medical conditions) so they can control the 95% requirement very tightly and keep the ships mask free.

We had 2 unvaccinated kids test positive on day 4-5 when everyone was tested for the return flights to the US.  No one else tested positive, even after retesting of close contacts (which they used facial recognition in the security cameras).  So the protocols worked, with not having Covid run rampant through the ship.  They, and their parents, were quarantined and then removed from the ship the next day as soon as we ported in Freeport, and then chartered back to the US on a private plane.

This is why the cruise lines want this 95%-100% because if you put 3000 people on a ship (vaccinated or unvaccinated) you WILL have Covid on board.  Its all statistics.  The whole key to this is to prevent the Covid from mass spreading on the ship, which vaccinations will clearly do.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, Blizzard54 said:

A bit of a correction,  Masks are required on Metro Transit in Seattle.  I assume the Light Rail requires them as well.

Yup, public transit and other transportation (like flights) are still masked up. Masks are also required at the two cruise piers.

Seattle was the first major U.S. city to hit the 70% first-dose mark, and King County was the first location in the state to drop masks for vaccinated people. Only one day earlier than the rest of the state but I’m sure they’re still smug about it… But anyway, RC’s decision is not related to Seattle restrictions. I’ll be sailing out of Seattle twice over the next 60 days - NCL and Princess, both 100% vaccinated, both mask-free. 

Just got my email from Royal regarding protocols for Serenade in August.  They are exactly the same as July.  I was hoping for a relaxing of the protocols for vaccinated passengers but that is not the case.  I'm very disappointed so far.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Just got my email from Royal regarding protocols for Serenade in August.  They are exactly the same as July.  I was hoping for a relaxing of the protocols for vaccinated passengers but that is not the case.  I'm very disappointed so far.

I’m booked on Ovation 8/20 and received the email with “updated” protocols.  Am I correct in assuming that vaccinated passengers do not have to wear a mask in vaccinated only areas? (Such as the solarium pool or the pub) and how does the “actively eating or drinking” stipulation work?  Do I have to walk around with a straw in my drink and never put it down?  If I’m at my table at the restaurant can I remove my mask entirely or do I have to put it back on between bites or while waiting for my food to arrive? What about in the theater or the music hall…if there are sections designated for the vaccinated can I remove my mask?

Look, I knew I took my chances when I booked a line that wasn’t necessarily 100% vaccinated, but these rules seem hard to wrap my vacation mind around. 

20 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I’m booked on Ovation 8/20 and received the email with “updated” protocols.  Am I correct in assuming that vaccinated passengers do not have to wear a mask in vaccinated only areas? (Such as the solarium pool or the pub) and how does the “actively eating or drinking” stipulation work?  Do I have to walk around with a straw in my drink and never put it down?  If I’m at my table at the restaurant can I remove my mask entirely or do I have to put it back on between bites or while waiting for my food to arrive? What about in the theater or the music hall…if there are sections designated for the vaccinated can I remove my mask?

Look, I knew I took my chances when I booked a line that wasn’t necessarily 100% vaccinated, but these rules seem hard to wrap my vacation mind around. 

Walking around with a drink in your hand will not fly. Mask on.

Edited by Jimbo

25 minutes ago, chefchick said:

You are correct for Ovation.  I don't understand why Ovation Solarium is vaccine only (maskless) and Serenade is open to all (requiring masks).  Solarium is 16 and up and everyone 12 and up will be vaccinated.  I can't be the only one that this has occurred to.  

As far as I can tell, you are maskless in the main dining room for the duration of the meal.  It is a vaccinated only venue.

The threatre will have vaccinated only shows. 

One thing is certain, I have the DBP, there won't be a minute where I don't have a drink in my hand. 🙂