When will Viking Ocean assign a guarantee veranda cabin?

C-sea

No experience.  Didn't even know Viking sold guaranteed cabins.  But with the other cruise line I use, assignment has been made from the day before the cruise date to maybe 10 days before.  I don't know how Viking does things when it comes to assignment, but if you used a non-Viking travel agent, you may want to make sure he or she knows you're expecting your room assignment soon and would appreciate a call if possible if it comes to the TA, not you. We've used guarantee rooms before with the other line, and other than the uncertainty of not knowing your cabin number/location in advance, and occasionally not being able to book specialty restaurants and excursions earlier than some people, we find these guarantee arrangements perfectly acceptable.  Most of the time we get the cabin category we paid for, but occasionally we get a nice surprise.

• Thanks 1

Yes, we have been unable to book any specialty restaurants. We booked this cruise recently as an added cruise. With the brilliant idea, we didn't want to wait for our Iceland cruise in late August.

I would call Viking directly and ask, especially if my TA doesn't have any info. 

There are a few threads about Viking's guaranteed cabin program, my recollection is people were happy with the deal.

• Thanks 1

We are on the Nov 1 2021 and about 3 weeks ago I upgraded to PV on guaranteed basis. Last week on MVJ I discovered they had assigned our cabin.

I found it under My Trip Summary. Instead of it saying guaranteed, it said Penthouse Veranda with a cabin number. We were about 120 days out.

They may have already assigned yours.

It looks like we may bit on the ship by ourselves. I started a roll call a couple of months ago and no one has replied. A private ship would be nice.

Hope you have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

It can be assigned as late as check in on the dock.

I agree with Jim, it can be as late as check-in. With another cruise line, we have waited until after dinner to get a cabin assignment.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hersheyhughes said:

We are on the Nov 1 2021 and about 3 weeks ago I upgraded to PV on guaranteed basis. Last week on MVJ I discovered they had assigned our cabin.

I found it under My Trip Summary. Instead of it saying guaranteed, it said Penthouse Veranda with a cabin number. We were about 120 days out.

It looks like we may bit on the ship by ourselves. I started a roll call a couple of months ago and no one has replied. A private ship would be nice.

DH and I are on the Nov 1 2021 Barcelona to Rome.  Is this your cruise too?  We're very excited and keeping fingers crossed that this cruise will sail.

We booked a guaranteed room last March and got our assignment in June (for a cruise next January). I only found out when I checked the My Viking Journey app. I didn’t expect to get it this soon, but I’m not complaining. 

Maybe you’ll get bumped up to the Owner’s Suite. I wonder if that ever happens …

Edited by Twitchly

17 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

So what happens to your luggage?  We were planning to use luggage forward, but they won’t know where to place the luggage?  

When the baggage is loaded onboard, the Baggage Master knows where you will be living even if you don't.  🍸

19 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

When the baggage is loaded onboard, the Baggage Master knows where you will be living even if you don't.  🍸

Well, that hardly seems fair!  We had to book guarantee as this is the first leg of the WC in Dec., FLL to LA.  We booked and paid for our regular category, PVI, but we don’t have a cabin assigned.  I doubt we will be upgraded, but in my opinion, there are no bad PVI cabins!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hersheyhughes said:

Thank you for your good wishes and to you also, a wonderful cruise!

I have been looking multiple times a day in MVJ,  to no avail.

Edited by C-sea

55 minutes ago, C-sea said:

Thank you for your good wishes and to you also, a wonderful cruise!

I have been looking multiple times a day in MVJ,  to no avail.

You are on our roll call for Bermuda  sailing  July 13. Is  it this sailing you have a guarantee? I could call Viking right now.  Did you fill out the health survey  which opened for us yesterday?   I know some  cruisers did cancel from our roll call, so don't worry,  you will have a stateroom. it might be even an upgrade. 

I would just call them .  You have enough to do with the pre covid test and getting the Bermuda Travel form approved this weekend.

See you on board the Orion on Tuesday.

We got our guaranteed cabin assigned in mid-June for our Late December Rome to Istanbul cruise. Someone recently posted receiving a guarantee cabin assignment 7 months in advance. As mentioned, it can be as late as the day of departure.

39 minutes ago, Azulann said:

You are on our roll call for Bermuda  sailing  July 13. Is  it this sailing you have a guarantee? I could call Viking right now.  Did you fill out the health survey  which opened for us yesterday?   I know some  cruisers did cancel from our roll call, so don't worry,  you will have a stateroom. it might be even an upgrade. 

I would just call them .  You have enough to do with the pre covid test and getting the Bermuda Travel form approved this weekend.

See you on board the Orion on Tuesday.

Yes, it is the Bermuda cruise we have the veranda guarantee, it was a spontaneous decision as was the Malta cruise in Sept. So now we have Bermuda next week, Iceland 24th of August, and Malta Sept 22nd and are so excited for each very different cruises!

4 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

We got our guaranteed cabin assigned in mid-June for our Late December Rome to Istanbul cruise. Someone recently posted receiving a guarantee cabin assignment 7 months in advance. As mentioned, it can be as late as the day of departure.

Getting close to "day of departure" being the case for us!

59 minutes ago, C-sea said:

Getting close to "day of departure" being the case for us!

We are jealous. We did get a four category cabin. Even our air is completed. Just hoping Italy, Greece and Turkey up their vaccination game. Praying the Delta variant doesn’t set the world back. 

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Well, that hardly seems fair!  We had to book guarantee as this is the first leg of the WC in Dec., FLL to LA.  We booked and paid for our regular category, PVI, but we don’t have a cabin assigned.  I doubt we will be upgraded, but in my opinion, there are no bad PVI cabins!

Same boat, same cruise segment, same waiting!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bbtondo said:

DH and I are on the Nov 1 2021 Barcelona to Rome.  Is this your cruise too?  We're very excited and keeping fingers crossed that this cruise will sail.

Bbtondo, Yes, that is our sailing. We are thrilled to find fellow cruisers. We have our fingers crossed as well.  Unfortunately the 4 day post Athens is sold out. Would have loved to tag along. 

we are going into Madrid for the pre cruise. 

We look forward to meeting you on board.

Kimberly & Phil

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hersheyhughes said:

Bbtondo, Yes, that is our sailing. We are thrilled to find fellow cruisers. We have our fingers crossed as well.  Unfortunately the 4 day post Athens is sold out. Would have loved to tag along. 

we are going into Madrid for the pre cruise. 

We look forward to meeting you on board.

Kimberly & Phil

We're getting off in Rome and are staying there for 3 days.  Nice to chat with a fellow cruiser! 

Barbara and Bill

I booked a guaranteed cabin and received the assigned cabin maybe two days later.  The viking rep said I would most likely get an upgrade.  Instead I got a cabin in the category chosen but not with the ability to actually choose said cabin.    I ended up cancelling the trip.  It is just not the time to cruise yet.  I'm hoping things settle down by next year.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:51 AM, C-sea said:

Yes, we have been unable to book any specialty restaurants. We booked this cruise recently as an added cruise. With the brilliant idea, we didn't want to wait for our Iceland cruise in late August.

C-Sea - if it is any consolation, we found that once we got on board our Bermuda cruise just finished, we were able to get reservations at the specialty restaurants with no problem.  We had some booked prior, but wound up changing them all and rebooking on board to better days and times.  Especially after the first day or two, things really opened up.

And the Restaurant no longer does reservations - they got rid of those.  Just go in and never a problem anytime to get seated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...