In Italy for Uniworld for cruise!

Bookishcruiser

Yes on other dinner options though I haven’t tried them.  There is a chef’s table, I think, that costs extra. There is supposed to be a pizza option up on the sun deck starting tomorrow. And a couple of panini in the lounge. 

The screen was up on deck for the Europe Cup!  Very well attended and lots of fun. 

today’s excursion was great. Chioggia walking tour, boat ride and then a truly delightful stop at a rural villa (Ca’Zen Estate) for local nibbles, wine and beer. Now on the river Po. 

I really can’t say enough nice things about this cruise. 

• Like 1

Today was Bologna. It was a full day... walking tour (not super), free time (super) and pasta making demo and lunch (super duper).  Had our second COVID test this afternoon without issue. So that is a relief. Really enjoying the small group of 55.  I’m pretty I’ve talked to everyone on the ship at this point. 

There has been a bit of talk about the room decor. It is very very busy. I’ve tried to add a photo but who knows. Let’s just say that there is pattern everywhere. Walls. Drapes. Even the ceiling. It all matches. Soothing it is not. 

720EE02E-D445-4890-9C14-BE7247F218C1.jpeg

• Like 1

When I sailed the recently redone River Queen in 2010, I looked at the room decor which differed in every cabin class. I was grateful to be in the class with the least in-your-face decor. 

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, Ritabob, I totally agree with you about the decor. I love it in all of is over the top glory. The room itself is small. The bed, a small desk on one side and a night stand on the other is the extent of it. There is a small stool on the other side (yes, it is the same print).  It’s perfectly nice. The bathroom is compact but enough room. 

the lounge is lovely. Fingers crossed on the photos. I think they are sideways. Sorry. But note the candy and cookie jars in the last one. 
7D74D8D3-172B-4700-9BC5-BCB233DFC91F.jpeg.790c0ae9d805d546d4f8e86bfda3b3f7.jpeg77B9B59D-F6E7-41E2-9074-09059E495097.jpeg.5231c361b661ac2ba13e58a98011278c.jpeg

08B9F1F8-2E18-4F4D-A343-142E1E2BFDCC.jpeg

Today was Chioggia. The boat’s GPS broke and we were there a few extra hours. The market was great and then we all ended up at the beach. It spite of the hiccup it was another great day. Because lunch wasn’t available on the ship, we all got 20 euros for lunch. Nice of Uniworld.  

we are still visiting Burano, though the shops will be closed tonight while we are there. 

• Like 1

Bookish, looks like you live in Airzona. If you flew out of Phoenix, would you please share airline and flight info?  Did you use Uniworld Air service or book your own?  We're in AZ and booked this cruise for October.  Thank you for your posts!

For the flights, just don’t do what I did. Terrible long layover at JFK. And going home is Venice to London to Chicago to Phoenix. There is usually a nonstop from London to Phoenix on American/ British Airways but they canceled that. hopefully it’ll be back soon. It usually cheaper on the American Airlines website. For me those are the best option to and from Europe.   

Uniworld wasn’t an option because I wanted business class and they would only guarantee business class on the long haul flights. So, instead of first class domestically (normal), they might have put me in economy. Weird. And about the same price. 

Yesterday was Torricello and Brumano. Both were absolutely delightful. There was murano in the afternoon but I stayed on the ship and enjoyed transiting the lagoon. 

today was the Rialto market and watching the chef buy food for our dinner. Also great. He explained what he was buying and why. 

Tomorrow is disembarkation,  which is quite sad. It has been a great trip. The small crowds were amazing and likely not be be repeated. 

oh… I have been in cabin 402 which is the first cabin next to reception. It’s got a French balcony.  Which means the window opens. No issues with noise. Minimal issues with crowds around the desk. 401 might have better views but I was happy with this cabin. I don’t know if I would do this class again since the opening window didn’t seem super important. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Bookishcruiser said:

Tomorrow is disembarkation,  which is quite sad. It has been a great trip. The small crowds were amazing and likely not be be repeated. 

I was wondering about the amount of tourists - I assumed that the crowded conditions of previous years would not be in attendance this year but there are so few cruises that it has been difficult to find an answer to my questions.

Did you notice if most shops/restaurants are open? How about the museums in Venice - did they have any special Covid protocols?

Thank you so much for providing your review and answering all these questions!

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, Bookishcruiser said:

Yesterday was Torricello and Brumano. Both were absolutely delightful. There was murano in the afternoon but I stayed on the ship and enjoyed transiting the lagoon. 

today was the Rialto market and watching the chef buy food for our dinner. Also great. He explained what he was buying and why. 

oh… I have been in cabin 402 which is the first cabin next to reception. It’s got a French balcony.  Which means the window opens. No issues with noise. Minimal issues with crowds around the desk. 401 might have better views but I was happy with this cabin. I don’t know if I would do this class again since the opening window didn’t seem super important. 

We got a great last minute  deal on cruise Viking about 2 years ago and the room had a water level pothole type window…I had to stand on the bed to watch the scenery and saw nothing but dock boards views when in port….I have now set my expectations of rooms up…that being said, The Maria Theresa has a balcony room with sliding doors..they are in the all the suites…spectacular river cruising!  My condolences on having to leave tomorrow….it’s never easy.  Don’t be sad it’s over be happy it happened!  Thanks for all your info..

Bookishcruiser,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

So many of us are so starved for reading about cruising lo these past 17 months or so, it was a treat to hear about how much you enjoyed your time in Italy.

Bob

• Like 1

Thank you Bookishcruiser

We fly out a week from Thursday for the same trip including the Milan pre-trip. We are very excited after having so many trips canceled. Your postings were great. I also enjoyed the official Uniworld postings on Facebook that showed some gorgeous  photos of this itinerary. 

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in responding.  tough trip home with an extra night in Chicago due to a late flight from London. Funsies. 

Masks in all indoor spaces. Other than that, no real difference. Everything was open except maybe in the airports. 

Highlights for me were Burano/Torcello as well as all of Susan’s excursions. I also really loved the separate excursion I did to lake Como. Definitely worth an extra day in Milan. That said, the ship itself with all the great people was the best overall. 

I did learn on the last day that Uniworld had started with 24 passengers. Then 39. Ours was 55 and theY were expecting 64 this week. 

• Like 1

Good morning, thanks for doing this "live from" for us.  I sailed with Uniworld in Oct 2019....I did Venice/Venice.......(without Milan).  Loved this cruise😃....I sail solo as well....I wonder if next year restrictions about dining will be lifted.  Glad you found nice folks to sit with at dinner🙂

I will be looking at Venice again for next year!