Current Capacity of the edge

CruiseAF

So from what I’m reading it seems the consensus that the first sailing of the edge was at 36% capacity for guests and about 60% capacity for crew.

If they can only get 36% out of their allotted 40% to sail wouldn't we agree that this is not strong.

Does anybody know the current Sailings capacity of guests?

I looked on shipmate and various Facebook groups for the upcoming Sailings to determine passenger count and it seems passenger count is decreasing substantially after the first 2 bookings. 

4 minutes ago, CruiseAF said:

So from what I’m reading it seems the consensus that the first sailing of the edge was at 36% capacity for guests and about 60% capacity for crew.

If they can only get 36% out of their allotted 40% to sail wouldn't we agree that this is not strong.

Does anybody know the current Sailings capacity of guests?

I looked on shipmate and various Facebook groups for the upcoming Sailings to determine passenger count and it seems passenger count is decreasing substantially after the first 2 bookings. 

How can you get the data on passenger count for upcoming sailings?  Celebrity does not release this until after the cruise embarks.  Is it your perception or do you somehow have access to data?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

How can you get the data on passenger count for upcoming sailings?  Celebrity does not release this until after the cruise embarks.  Is it your perception or do you somehow have access to data?

I’m going by members in shipmate and Facebook and making an educated guess. 

There are more this week. 

I heard about 1100 last week & 1450 this week. So definitely not dropping.

Based on open cabins on our upcoming cruises (7/24 & 31), they look to be around 50-60%. 

Super excited to cruise on a ship with half the passengers!!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

The 6/26 sailing was only available for a few weeks before it was pulled down, then the 7/3 sailing was removed from the website as well. A slow start is no surprise. Once Equinox starts at the end of the month and adds more capacity, lower passenger counts will be expected.

Caribbean cruises in the summer and hurricane season aren't all that popular on top of that. 

the 7/10 sailing has a ton of availability still. Shipmate group only has 34 members and Facebook only has 41. I think this sailing will be the emptiest yet and maybe slow increase up from here 

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If sailings are difficult to fill even at 30-40% capacity then cruise lines will need to respond with new incentives and price decreases.  I don't see evidence of that (yet).

This would devalue the brand at a pivotal point. Remember, people are still scared to leave their house when in fact a cruise ship Is statistically the safest place to be. 

Cruiser from our sailing which is sailing on Edge now just reported that they cannot do the third leg of their sailing... after sailing Back to Back... I wonder why would they do it if they cannot fill the ship?

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If sailings are difficult to fill even at 30-40% capacity then cruise lines will need to respond with new incentives and price decreases.  I don't see evidence of that (yet).

Edge isn't even fully crewed yet. Shortly after the Edge sailings were confirmed, Celebrity was very clear that prices will continue to increase. I think we're a long way off from seeing substantial discounts and price drops. As long as FCC's are out there price will remain where they are or higher. 

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Edge isn't even fully crewed yet. Shortly after the Edge sailings were confirmed, Celebrity was very clear that prices will continue to increase. I think we're a long way off from seeing substantial discounts and price drops. As long as FCC's are out there price will remain where they are or higher. 

Yes totally agree!

I'm on the 7/10 sailing.  I know they are blocking out any inside cabins.  And, Celebrity is limiting total number of passengers.  My guess is each week the numbers of passengers sailing is going up. I don't know the numbers Celebrity is shooting for until they actually sail.

But, my TA said Celebrity told her they are limiting passengers to about 35%-40% capacity, at least for the rest of July.  So, that all lines up.

Prices have gone up on mine, and I only booked it a few weeks ago.

I don't think you can make any reasonable deduction from Facebook counts, and I don't know what "cruise mate" is.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Cruiser from our sailing which is sailing on Edge now just reported that they cannot do the third leg of their sailing... after sailing Back to Back... I wonder why would they do it if they cannot fill the ship?

I had read it's a government "thing" and not Celebrity.  I can't imagine there would be more than a handful of people who would do a B2B2B.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm on the 7/10 sailing.  I know they are blocking out any inside cabins.  And, Celebrity is limiting total number of passengers.  My guess is each week the numbers of passengers sailing is going up. I don't know the numbers Celebrity is shooting for until they actually sail.

But, my TA said Celebrity told her they are limiting passengers to about 35%-40% capacity, at least for the rest of July.  So, that all lines up.

Your TA is correct. X set capacities for their return to service. They will continue to steadily increase those numbers.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind up until 2017 Celebrity had NO summer Caribbean cruises. Equinox was then moved to year-round Caribbean sailings. Now we have a pandemic to rebound from, Edge and Equinox in Florida and Summit in St. Martin all vying for guests to be among the first to cruise after a 15 month shut down, during the summer, in the midst of hurricane season. Those aren't exactly ideal circumstances to fill ships...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, someone in an Equinox group on FB posted that the Aug 1 Equinox sailing was at 70%… I did not believe it and now I can’t track down the post. I assumed this person was confusing blocked unavailable cabins with actual filled cabins

9 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Interesting, someone in an Equinox group on FB posted that the Aug 1 Equinox sailing was at 70%… I did not believe it and now I can’t track down the post. I assumed this person was confusing blocked unavailable cabins with actual filled cabins

Unless that ship sells like crazy in the next few weeks, it's far off from 70%. I've never heard if that is the max capacity they are allowing, but it's currently booked no where near that. 

40 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I had read it's a government "thing" and not Celebrity.  I can't imagine there would be more than a handful of people who would do a B2B2B.  

Carnival Horizon has about 75% capacity on board this week so clearly ain't a government thang.

1 hour ago, CruiseAF said:

This would devalue the brand at a pivotal point. Remember, people are still scared to leave their house when in fact a cruise ship Is statistically the safest place to be. 

I believe they do not want to cut prices since people can still cancel up to two days before, and get a FCC.  

Although I do not believe cruise ships are unsafe, I have not seen anything indicating they are the safest place to be.  

People on these boards are all over the place with capacity numbers.  The only true numbers are retrospective ones.  Once onboard and sailing- what did the Captain or Cruise Director say about actual passenger numbers for that cruise?  I would ignore everything else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Unless that ship sells like crazy in the next few weeks, it's far off from 70%. I've never heard if that is the max capacity they are allowing, but it's currently booked no where near that. 

This, that makes way more sense to me - I think that was FB talk

We are sailing next month on Edge. We are not in any Facebook or shipmate group so I am not sure that is a good way to judge occupancy. There do seem to be a lot of cabins available. of course it is getting closer to the heart of hurricane season so that may be keeping some people away also.