Current Capacity of the edge

CruiseAF

50 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I’ve been checking every day on 3 people in a cabin. I was told no many times by my TA. Well today the Edge is now able to book 3. It’s almost the same cost as the two separate cabins. 

Then I would book 2 cabins!!

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I'm on the 7/10 sailing.  I know they are blocking out any inside cabins.  And, Celebrity is limiting total number of passengers.  My guess is each week the numbers of passengers sailing is going up. I don't know the numbers Celebrity is shooting for until they actually sail.

But, my TA said Celebrity told her they are limiting passengers to about 35%-40% capacity, at least for the rest of July.  So, that all lines up.

Prices have gone up on mine, and I only booked it a few weeks ago.

I don't think you can make any reasonable deduction from Facebook counts, and I don't know what "cruise mate" is.

No dog in this non-fight, but “Cruise Mate” sounds like Tinder for cruise fans. 🤣

• Haha 1

OK…curiosity got the best of me.  Looked up “cruise mate” and came up with a product that is related to cruise control for Harley Davidson Motorcycles.  As confused as ever (which seems to be perpetual).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK…curiosity got the best of me.  Looked up “cruise mate” and came up with a product that is related to cruise control for Harley Davidson Motorcycles.  As confused as ever (which seems to be perpetual).

Ship mate not cruise mater

At this juncture, it doesn't matter.  The July 10 (tomorrow) Edge cruise sold out a few days ago.  Now, at what capacity?  40%?  50%?  60%?  More?  I don't think we'll know that until the ship pulls away from the pier and they announce the passenger total.

I'm guessing it's going to be at, or maybe a little bit more, than the past two sailings of the Edge.  Say, 1,500 to 1,750....my guess.

Edited by graphicguy

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

The capacity never changes...the number of people on board does.  🙂

OK good point if talking about the build capacity on a ship.  But the dictated capacity does change.  So Celebrity might state that it will sail at no more than 50% capacity.  So that is a changed capacity for that cruise- no?😀

• Like 1

I wish I could find where I read this...but I read that Celebrity was keeping numbers at 60% max for July.

If so, the cruise tomorrow being sold out is not really surprising.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

At this juncture, it doesn't matter.  The July 10 (tomorrow) Edge cruise sold out a few days ago.  Now, at what capacity?  40%?  50%?  60%?  More?  I don't think we'll know that until the ship pulls away from the pier and they announce the passenger total.

I'm guessing it's going to be at, or maybe a little bit more, than the past two sailings of the Edge.  Say, 1,500 to 1,750....my guess.

Probably a good guess. The ship still isn't fully crewed so that will hold back the pax number a bit too. The July 3/10/17 cruises also have a decent number of people move over from the cancelled Equinox cruises too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

I wish I could find where I read this...but I read that Celebrity was keeping numbers at 60% max for July.

If so, the cruise tomorrow being sold out is not really surprising.

According to this article the first EDGE cruise was 40% of normal capacity.  Maybe the following cruises will slowly see that increased.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-cruise-us-onboard-celebrity-edge/index.html

Just now, TeeRick said:

According to this article the first EDGE cruise was 40% of normal capacity.  Maybe the following cruises will slowly see that increased.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/first-cruise-us-onboard-celebrity-edge/index.html

Yep I remember that--first cruise was around 1100.

This week they are around 1500--a bit over 50%.

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

OK good point if talking about the build capacity on a ship.  But the dictated capacity does change.  So Celebrity might state that it will sail at no more than 50% capacity.  So that is a changed capacity for that cruise- no?😀

The % of Capacity changes for sure.... 🙂

I'm wondering when it will be 100%.....hopefully, things keep going well.  

9 minutes ago, Duke95 said:

Is it bad that I am hoping it doesn't come close to reaching full capacity until after my cruise in September?!?

For our selfish reasons--NOPE! 

Part of why we are cruising now.

I suspect fall will be lower capacity too--it's a lower season for cruises until summer.

But we all know that cruises cannot sustain at a much lower % for the long term w/o raising prices A LOT.

14 hours ago, lux4me said:

Was told yesterday by a ship officer passenger count is 1580

OK.  So, if what we've been reading, if this week's capacity is 1580, and they have stated they want to increase capacity by 10%/week, then tomorrow's sailing capacity on the Edge should be somewhere in the 1,700 range?  Still, thinking that's a good number to cruise with on a ship that size (for the passengers). 

They have revenue flow.  That's a good thing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK.  So, if what we've been reading, if this week's capacity is 1580, and they have stated they want to increase capacity by 10%/week, then tomorrow's sailing capacity on the Edge should be somewhere in the 1,700 range?  Still, thinking that's a good number to cruise with on a ship that size (for the passengers). 

They have revenue flow.  That's a good thing.

Hmmmmm...I heard they were keeping things fairly static for July...

I need to go find my sources...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KKB said:

Hmmmmm...I heard they were keeping things fairly static for July...

I need to go find my sources...

You are probably right.  I can’t remember where I even heard that 10%/week number.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:12 AM, TeeRick said:

If sailings are difficult to fill even at 30-40% capacity then cruise lines will need to respond with new incentives and price decreases.  I don't see evidence of that (yet).

On 7/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, CruiseAF said:

This would devalue the brand at a pivotal point. Remember, people are still scared to leave their house when in fact a cruise ship Is statistically the safest place to be. 

We have to remember standard practice in the cruise industry is to offer discounted fares in categories with low occupancy around six months from sail date.  X calls these "cruise only" fares and if you already have a booked cabin, X won't match the fare to these lower fares.  Furthermore, various discounts can be enabled such as residency, military/1st responder or a lower single supplement %.  When journalists interview cruise execs about pricing strategies, the average ones do not ask about these last minutes discount but the greats one will press about these discounts

21 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We have to remember standard practice in the cruise industry is to offer discounted fares in categories with low occupancy around six months from sail date.  X calls these "cruise only" fares and if you already have a booked cabin, X won't match the fare to these lower fares.  Furthermore, various discounts can be enabled such as residency, military/1st responder or a lower single supplement %.  When journalists interview cruise execs about pricing strategies, the average ones do not ask about these last minutes discount but the greats one will press about these discounts

We have not had a 6-month lead time (yet) for any of these re-started cruises. And I still believe early pricing is high due to: 1) pent up demand, 2) reduced capacity, 3) L&S rules and dates, 4) backlog of FCC, and 5) very very few ships sailing.    But if demand goes down and capacity goes up- prices will need to be adjusted perhaps as you say starting 6 months from now.  We shall see. 

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You are probably right.  I can’t remember where I even heard that 10%/week number.

Well it was published that the first EDGE sailing was about 40% capacity and some on board said around 1100 people.  EDGE is now at 1580.

Today’s sailing is also a western itinerary for the first time which is usually less popular and less expensive, I wouldent be surprised if we were back to 1100 just for this week. Like I said, when they pulled the sailing from the website there were a TON of regular oceanview and balcony rooms along with 12 sky suites and 6 celebrity suites available. 

This is the first sailing that the retreat is not completely full.