Test for Return to USA?

laurelguy

Sorry for the repeat - I posted this hint on another thread but thought it might be useful here as well.  I have returned from Italy twice in the past two months.  Both times, I used a "home test".  You can order rapid antigen tests from Navica (Abbott Labs) prior to departure.  They are 6 tests/$150.  You administer the test while on a 15 minute Zoom call with eMed.  (I am very nice when swabbing myself!) Results immediately available and can be downloaded and printed.  

Both times - very easy.  The only issue will be ensuring connectivity for 15 minutes for the Zoom call.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, laurelguy said:

Appreciate the info and thanks! Don't we need a PCR test not an Antigen test? I worry about a good internet connection onboard but I guess the telemed call could be done onshore....

I have the same question.  I believe you only need the antigen test, as that is all that is required returning from the Bahamas.  Unless you are going to Canada.  The ship offered it the last day before debarked, but we stayed two nights in Nassau so had to get it locally.  Hotels offer it to guests, as well as hospitals.  Maybe the hotels in Papeete will offer it, especially the ones used by Windstar.  EM

I posted in another thread.  There is another option.  It is $70 for two tests.  It is on the united site under testing to return to the USA. You buy the test in the USA.  Bring it with you.  You do the test in your room.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/covid-testing.html#provider  (Look under return flights to the USA, and click the link for a two pack.)

It is FDA approved AND can be used to get back into the USA.

18 hours ago, piedpiper99 said:

I posted in another thread.  There is another option.  It is $70 for two tests.  It is on the united site under testing to return to the USA. You buy the test in the USA.  Bring it with you.  You do the test in your room.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/covid-testing.html#provider  (Look under return flights to the USA, and click the link for a two pack.)

It is FDA approved AND can be used to get back into the USA.

If you do this with the test kit, in your room, how does the test sample get evaluated in the app?  My phone or tablet is connected to the internet, but it doesn't have a suction tube to send a sample to the lab.

1 hour ago, Del Rio said:

If you do this with the test kit, in your room, how does the test sample get evaluated in the app?  My phone or tablet is connected to the internet, but it doesn't have a suction tube to send a sample to the lab.

You download the NAVICA app and create a login.  When you are ready to take the test, you logon with video.  A technician will join you and walk you through administration of the test.  I like to use my computer but you could use your phone.  The technician supervises you through test administration (less than 5 minutes).  In 15 minutes, another technician appears. During that time, you leave the computer logged in but you do not have to stay in front of the computer.  After 15 minutes, the technician reads the results with you and the results are sent within a few minutes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FWFrog said:

You download the NAVICA app and create a login.  When you are ready to take the test, you logon with video.  A technician will join you and walk you through administration of the test.  I like to use my computer but you could use your phone.  The technician supervises you through test administration (less than 5 minutes).  In 15 minutes, another technician appears. During that time, you leave the computer logged in but you do not have to stay in front of the computer.  After 15 minutes, the technician reads the results with you and the results are sent within a few minutes.

So, a test which yields a visual result on a test strip that the technician can observe over the video link to produce official results.

Does anyone know if Windstar will do the antigen test on day of disembarkation (as opposed to the day before)? Specifically in Tahiti on Wind Spirit. I will of course call Windstar but the day we leave the ship will meet the 3 day requirement for return to the USA for us. Otherwise we’ll have to go to the lab in Papeete before going to our post-cruise hotel which does not offer the test. Hoping to avoid the hassle. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

So, a test which yields a visual result on a test strip that the technician can observe over the video link to produce official results.

You are correct - 

- one pink line:  test is working

- two pink lines:  positive test

So far, this is complicated for canadians. If our flight needs a connection in the US, do we need a USA test and then a second CND test prior to boarding for canada? or is the test valid for both?

Cheers

Just back from the July 24th St Maarten cruise - we were testing on boarding, the day before Antigua, and the day before returning to St Maarten.  All complimentary,  We could us the last test to fly back to the US as well.

You may want to see if your last port requires a test for disembarkment