NCL and Venice

MikeNKim

Hello all.    I have check the NCL site and also a few pages here but can’t find it 

does anyone know the earliest flight out of Venice.   We dock at 8am.   When would I be safe to book a flight home?

thank you

If things are still the same, the Venice airport is one of the more chaotic. Most times they will not start checking people in until 2 hours before their flight, but the lines in front of the counters start forming early and it can take a while. 

I would want to be AT the airport no less than 2.5 hours prior to my flight. Allow about 20 minutes, give or take from port to airport by taxi.

And also keep in mind that just because your ship is scheduled to dock at 8am does not guarantee that you'll be moving down the gangway at 8:05. 

If it were me, I'd not book anything prior to noon.

Since the ships no longer dock in Venice you now have to consider how ever long it takes to bus from were ever to the airport. Also what ever hiccups, i.e. late arrival, traffic, how soon they let you off the ship etc.  

On 7/17/2021 at 6:26 AM, ski ww said:

Since the ships no longer dock in Venice you now have to consider how ever long it takes to bus from were ever to the airport. Also what ever hiccups, i.e. late arrival, traffic, how soon they let you off the ship etc.  

It isn't cruising out of Venice anymore?   Yikes, glad I haven't booked flights yet.   Do you have any idea where it cruises from?   I just checked NCL's website and it still says Venice.

Thank you

Kim

This was just announced "officially" last week though it's been in the works for a while. All of the cruise lines are scrambling to make alternative arrangements. Most have not provided updated info yet.

This is one of the better articles I've read that lays out the more practical impacts:

Italian Decree Bans Cruise Ships From Venice August 1; Lines Seek Alternative Docking | Travel Agent Central

Your best bet is to contact NCL, although they'll probably just tell you to stay tuned...

On 7/19/2021 at 1:41 PM, cruisemom42 said:

This was just announced "officially" last week though it's been in the works for a while. All of the cruise lines are scrambling to make alternative arrangements. Most have not provided updated info yet.

This is one of the better articles I've read that lays out the more practical impacts:

Italian Decree Bans Cruise Ships From Venice August 1; Lines Seek Alternative Docking | Travel Agent Central

Your best bet is to contact NCL, although they'll probably just tell you to stay tuned...

thank you so much.   I also contacted NCL yesterday and they gave me this address as where theywill cruise out of

Stazione Marittime

30135 Santa Croce

Venezia.

Would you know if this is the same port they have been told they can't cruise out of?

Thank you
kIm

1 minute ago, MikeNKim said:

thank you so much.   I also contacted NCL yesterday and they gave me this address as where theywill cruise out of

Stazione Marittime

30135 Santa Croce

Venezia.

Would you know if this is the same port they have been told they can't cruise out of?

Thank you
kIm

This sounds like one of these all too common situations when the left hand has no clue about the right hand.  That address you got from NCL  is the Venice Cruise Port (it is called the Stazione Marritima) which can no longer be used by cruise ships (over 25000 tons).  NCL is well aware of this new restriction but I guess their customer service folks have not been updated.   So you will have to wait until they get their act together and I imagine they are still looking at their options.  There are a couple of other ports about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Venice that are going to be used by some cruise lines and the government is also working on plans to utilize the nearby Porta Marghera for some ships.  

If you are planning on buying your own airfare you might want to wait until NCL tells you from where you will really be embarking.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This sounds like one of these all too common situations when the left hand has no clue about the right hand.  That address you got from NCL  is the Venice Cruise Port (it is called the Stazione Marritima) which can no longer be used by cruise ships (over 25000 tons).  NCL is well aware of this new restriction but I guess their customer service folks have not been updated.   So you will have to wait until they get their act together and I imagine they are still looking at their options.  There are a couple of other ports about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from Venice that are going to be used by some cruise lines and the government is also working on plans to utilize the nearby Porta Marghera for some ships.  

If you are planning on buying your own airfare you might want to wait until NCL tells you from where you will really be embarking.

Hank

Thank you Hank,  I will wait.   It doesn't make it hard for us type A planner types.....lol

I appreciate the info.

Kim

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeNKim said:

Thank you Hank,  I will wait.   It doesn't make it hard for us type A planner types.....lol

I appreciate the info.

Kim

I can identify with the Type A planner thing :).  And the current travel world does not work well for that kind of planning other then to learn all your options...only to later find out that the options have changed.  I assume you are looking towards next Spring but we are currently dealing with a trip (Greece) within two weeks,  Just today, it seems like the Greek Government changed their procedures (for the better) when they sent us a QR Code required for entry.  But this code was not supposed to be sent until midnight of our day of entry but I guess Greece decided to change the procedure (with no advance announcement).    We are still trying to make plans for some Greek island hopping (next month) but the rules for using the ferries and on the islands seem to be changing on a near daily basis.  I cannot even imagine how many rule changes affecting Italy will happen over the next few months.

What is really frustrating is spending hours planning the details of a trip (we are very independent travelers) only to have the entire trip cancelled because of COVID.  We have already had 5 cruises (involving over 100 days of travel) cancelled and are now facing the likelihood of two more cruises (18 day and 42 day) being canceled in the next few months.   I am finally learning to just relax, go with the flow, make  few commitments that cannot be canceled without penalty, etc. etc.  Just returned from AAA (to get an International Drivers Permit) where the travel agent agreed with me that international travel today is for the very experienced and heaven help the amateurs.

Hank

5 hours ago, MikeNKim said:

I see Hank already answered your questions. You don't say when your cruise is, but if it is not until next year I'd definitely hold off on any major planning until you get clearer direction. At least one cruise line (MSC) with cruises departing Venice in the next few months has said they will still check passengers in at Venice, then transfer them to the place where their ships are temporarily docking -- however I think that is a very short-term solution, e.g., for the next several months. As of now MSC is one of the few/only cruise lines sailing out of Venice....

We are sailing a B2B out of Venice next May. We originally planned to go in two days early (giving us 1 1/2 full days  in Venice, thinking we would have extra time during turn around. I spent the afternoon looking at flight options (using miles partially) and we will either stay with the original idea or go in a day earlier than planned in case the turn around involves a lot of drive time from Venice to the ship (ie: Ravenna, Trieste). I just feel better booking with the extra time up front to hopefully cover new logistics. 
Yep. Type A!

Knowing for some time that this was bound to happen, I sincerely thought that a ship with less than 700pax would be safe, but not so with the new rules. 

On 7/20/2021 at 10:44 PM, Vineyard View said:

We are sailing a B2B out of Venice next May. We originally planned to go in two days early (giving us 1 1/2 full days  in Venice, thinking we would have extra time during turn around. I spent the afternoon looking at flight options (using miles partially) and we will either stay with the original idea or go in a day earlier than planned in case the turn around involves a lot of drive time from Venice to the ship (ie: Ravenna, Trieste). I just feel better booking with the extra time up front to hopefully cover new logistics. 
Yep. Type A!

Knowing for some time that this was bound to happen, I sincerely thought that a ship with less than 700pax would be safe, but not so with the new rules. 

You might consider a combination of ideas.  Yes, travel three days earlier to allow for possible travel time.  And check the air prices through the cruise line.  Lately they have been very comparable to DIY and they are responsible for changes and transport to ship.  You can still fly in earlier if booking through the cruise line.  

Really good information. I will pass this on to travel companions, as that can certainly not be the case. 

We booked using miles. The sweet thing about this is that up until day prior to departure we can cancel, deposit our miles back into the account, and get a refund for the monies we paid for taxes, fees, etc. our return flight is not ideal - we are hoping to be able to return a couple days sooner out of Athens, so will keep watching for anything that might open up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Type A-er here as well! Our cruise on AZ is next August and we've more than begun our planning. Venice is our last port with an overnight and we have no idea if that will remain. As we get closer to flights opening up, we're certainly needing more info. I've emailed our travel agent and am waiting to hear back. If anyone has updated info, please share! Thanks!