The Daily for Monday Jul 12, 2021

richwmn

44 minutes ago, garlictown said:

👍Rich @richwmn thank you for The Daily to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. I'm enjoying the photos from Ravenna ( somehow missed that port on earlier🚢 Princess cruises to the Med) ....thank you to all who contribute. 😊

Wonderful MLK quote.

Riesling seems to taste better while sitting outside in a cafe in Germany, lol. 😉

Darling photo of Camilla @smitty34877.

Retirement is the best and glad you're enjoying it @aliaschief. What an ordeal @mamaofami..better days ahead.

When I think of simplicity, Marie Kondo comes to mind. Remember all the decluttering and organizing ideas?🤔 I stopped purchasing books and use the Libby App for free downloads. 

🙏Prayers to all in need and ONLY 87° for today's high.

Katie

funny-marie-kondo-konmari-method-memes-2-5c5aa35e0e3ac__700.jpg

For sure!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Today promises to be a better day since Sam came home. On hearing from me yesterday about the things the aide did over the past few days, the agency told her she is leaving and they are coming with a new person, the head of the agency, a nurse and my daughter. She has lied to us, twisted everything we or she has said, refused to take Sam to the bathroom when he asked, wouldn’t let me take his blood pressure because she was concerned about what we would do if it was too high, took away my cane and said I couldn’t  use it. Ive e been using it for 10 years. Sam said it’s like walking on egg shells with her around. The list goes on and on. 

The sun is shining and it promises to be a better day.

Carol

Oh my, Carol!  That’s horrible.

I’m so glad a new person is being assigned - and, hopefully a top notch person 🙏🏻 

• Like 11

Good morning!  I LOVE Mondays!!  Why is that?  Because weekends almost always mean a lot of extra things to do: extra errands, extra chores....they are far more hectic than weekdays which follow a routine, they are predictable and because I work from home, almost relaxing, far more calm than weekend days.  

We have a couple more days of low 80's which is just a tad too warm upstairs, the marine layer returns later in the week bringing us down to the low 50's at night, brrrr....that's more like early Autumn, which I'd welcome even now, it's my favorite season. 

It certainly is nice to look at the ship location map and see the NA on her way up the coast.  I will be watching the harbor cams as it gets closer to her Wednesday arrival. 

Thanks to all listers and contributors.  Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  

Tasks for the day: schedule the junk haul, I got the garage mostly ready yesterday.  I also need to order the kennel for the cat and the window ac units to be installed later this month.  Somebody offered us a couch, someone whom I know took care of it, so I accepted, as it'll be better for Dear Dad's back.  

I have never met anyone with different color eyes, people are mentioning dogs, must be more common in animals.  I must admit it would be hard to ignore looking at someone that had it.  I have heard of people's eyes changing colors though, not unlike a baby's shortly after birth.  

I don't go out of my way for pecan pie or anything with, as Dear Dad puts it "junk in it".  I have to agree! Why ruin a perfectly good piece of cake or cookies by adding nuts, coconut, or the sin of all sins: raisins!!!

Well, I better go, Monday mornings always have 3 days worth of email.

Have a great day everybody!

PS To wet my appetite:

autumn-leaves-royalty-free-image-1594753784.jpg.5a6d0ca3c2b9ae47e20a2afcd14516a8.jpg

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 24

Good Morning.

I heard from my cousin last night and she said that the evacuation order has been lifted\  Although they are able to return home they are still under alert.  Plus the sprinkler systems placed on the roofs by the firefighters are still in place.

Val

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Today promises to be a better day since Sam came home. On hearing from me yesterday about the things the aide did over the past few days, the agency told her she is leaving and they are coming with a new person, the head of the agency, a nurse and my daughter. She has lied to us, twisted everything we or she has said, refused to take Sam to the bathroom when he asked, wouldn’t let me take his blood pressure because she was concerned about what we would do if it was too high, took away my cane and said I couldn’t  use it. Ive e been using it for 10 years. Sam said it’s like walking on egg shells with her around. The list goes on and on. 

The sun is shining and it promises to be a better day.

Carol

Good grief!  And good riddance!  I had a physical therapist try and tell me I don't need a cane after my stroke.  I don't know where people get the idea that they are bad or if they take it personally that you need more than just THEIR help.  Ugh!  I fired the PT.  Just because someone has a far more advanced degree doesn't mean I have to just sit and take that kind of garbage.  Hopefully you can turn the page to a new chapter here. 

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

I heard from my cousin last night and she said that the evacuation order has been lifted\  Although they are able to return home they are still under alert.  Plus the sprinkler systems placed on the roofs by the firefighters are still in place.

Val

🙏🙏 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

Val

Glad to hear that.  It sounds like they're making progress containing the fire.

• Like 9

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for the daily report. Today my daughter will be here with her two children. It’s been two years since I’ve seen her or my grandchildren. She had not been to my simple cabin on the river. The smoke is lifting so swimming, boating and kayaking will be fun. Meals are planned but no pecan pie. Just simple root beer floats for desert. 

• Like 17

35 minutes ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

Val

That is really encouraging news, Val. 👍 

Hoping that the fires can soon be abated 🙏🏻 

9 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for the daily report. Today my daughter will be here with her two children. It’s been two years since I’ve seen her or my grandchildren. She had not been to my simple cabin on the river. The smoke is lifting so swimming, boating and kayaking will be fun. Meals are planned but no pecan pie. Just simple root beer floats for desert. 

How nice to have your visit after such a long time 👍 Glad to hear that the smoke is lifting so they can enjoy time outside and hopefully this is a sing of good things 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Why ruin a perfectly good piece of cake or cookies by adding nuts, coconut, or the sin of all sins: raisins!!!

I agree with you and your dad on nuts and coconut, but I do enjoy raisins in oatmeal cookies.

I noticed you didn't include chocolate chips in your list of "junk" not to add to baked goods. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Wow!  Already on page 3!  Good morning all, and thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily News!  @mamaofami, how awful to have such a "care"giver, and I hope the new one is a big improvement.  @smitty34877,  a lovely picture, such a tiny baby, just look at her hand!  

Just looking at the picture of tonight's dinner gave me indigestion!  DD is planning a roasted vegetable with mascarpone on bucatini dish tonight, and I think I will get Pat to barbecue a steak to go with it.  DD likes to try new recipes and they are not always to my taste!  I go for the plain ordinary stuff that I have made for years..  When we lived in Virginia I used to make pecan pie, but I haven't for years.  I do love it though, I definitely have a very sweet tooth.

We have been to Ravenna, and were booked on another cruise which had Ravenna but had a tour booked to San Marino, all cancelled now.  If, as @grapau27mentioned, cruises from Venice are now going out of Ravenna, that  will be an option, but I think HAL might use Trieste instead of Venice.  We are booked to leave Venice, after an overnight, in October.  I wonder what will happen.  I had thought the cancellation of cruise ships out of Venice was not going to start until next year.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Well, today is interesting, to say the least.   I got to the gym and found out my water class had been cancelled.  I should have gotten a notification from them, but it didn't arrive until half way through the class time.  So, I did the weight machines and walked the water channel.  

Then, I went to my doctor's appointment and found out that she was running two hours behind due to an emergency.   So, I am rescheduled for a televisit this afternoon.  She'll probably be late for that.  

I am supposed to attend a Zoom meeting tonight at 6 pm, but so far there is no link for it.   Arrrrggghhh!

Camilla and her daddy helped take some of the sting out of it all.   

• Like 19

Thank you for the Daily Rich , Roy and all contributors , I am a little late to the party but I saw that there is another beautiful Port  on today’s draw where we have been to on the Prinsendam on Oct 17th , 2016 . 

Because I had seen that the industrial Port is quite a ways away from the town of Ravenna I had connected with a guide and arranged that she would pick us up in the Port with a couple of mini vans for a dozen of us . Also on our tour with us were Ann and Pat @VictOriann  and their DD Cathy .
I just saw a lot of very nice pictures of the mosaics already posted so I will try to find a few different ones which will give a good impression of Ravenna 

IMG_4538.thumb.JPG.1b4ea72449ea9da13788ce337a191c8d.JPG

IMG_4520.thumb.JPG.fff453896fb71c253fdde3e312bee98f.JPG

DSCN0308.thumb.jpg.62ecc56c50538f639f0605ee38451f55.jpg

DSCN0310.thumb.JPG.d3ae657ce4e889532a8047a7871381e0.JPG

DSCN0313.thumb.JPG.d232b892490bb7f8a8b9b70e7fe5c3f6.JPG

DSCN0320.thumb.JPG.49d2bd1e9b8fefc1c4ec132abdba7133.JPG

Look at this beautiful fence around the mausoleum where Dante is buried  , I tried to look through the window in the door but Pat checked if the door was open ……….and voila there it was…… ohoh ....

IMG_4534.thumb.JPG.744aff004de9c2bdbce654defb109180.JPG

DSCN0331.thumb.JPG.9961fdb1216954016630149709b47988.JPG

It is hard to stay away from my mosaic pictures because that is what Ravenna is so famous for ………

DSCN0339.thumb.JPG.db455cf2acd61b22d7d37dba67a4b5a4.JPG

Time for our morning cup of coffee with the McCarthy's

DSCN0349.thumb.JPG.a5f28dcc04dd6ab4ac9aa4fc5effd2ec.JPG

DSCN0356.thumb.JPG.8adc6a426dd9e05c048216d6d0649611.JPG

DSCN0379.thumb.JPG.2cb863092de511afcc4e0683879234ca.JPG

1389999110_DSCN03812.thumb.JPG.2efa1cb8db8a47afc56579133ce2e56d.JPG

DSCN0392.thumb.JPG.e5b0e40cd135b6203ca2e03f409ad9c7.JPG

DSCN0357.thumb.jpg.3126c5c1e3b7e198ed6b788a684bed67.jpg

After a nice little lunch some more gorgeous  churches  a museum  and mosaics in Ravenna.

DSCN0409.thumb.JPG.606db33c8d12ec964cb43d6d4aecc9d9.JPG

DSCN0413.thumb.jpg.4bc2efcfe3cca10df652347c6e7581d8.jpg

It was than time for our shuttle to take us to the outskirts of Ravenna to the Basilica of St Apollinare in Classe 

IMG_4595.thumb.jpg.56ac7cabf8c5952067f3bdf054c58854.jpg

DSCN0422.thumb.JPG.307afc60d8d8ba9893db861c57f4fcea.JPG

DSCN0421.thumb.jpg.feee75d020a3279ca8ec76c7f38dd939.jpg

DSCN0425.thumb.JPG.9cadbe8850f93cdf3d9897b8f88ca404.JPG

DSCN0424.thumb.JPG.b91a2ac44b675ef41884f334c354a4bb.JPG

828025021_DSCN04333.thumb.jpg.bccad59a932cc5f3b8142fc94ffc87ba.jpg

A wonderful tour was had with our very knowledgeable guide Silvia by all but it was now time to say Arrivederci and go back Home to the Prinsendam where I had asked Canaletto manager Rifki if he had space for 15 of us for a nice Italian dinner which of coarse for me included my favourite Zuppa di Pesce !

Rifki had specially built for us during the day two very large tables in the Canaletto by the window !

DSCN0442.thumb.JPG.a149019b5c44822ef46ac97323eeb567.JPG

DSCN0439.thumb.JPG.19d577f5dd81c05cde1c9b11481da65e.JPG

Tony😄😄

IMG_4537.thumb.JPG.087e81822647918666a48684e56419c3.JPG

Translated :  Ravenna , Friendly City of Women  ! 
Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and a special thanks to Roy for taking such care with the lists!  

@smitty34877 aww!   That photo melted my heart! 
@mamaofami glad you called the agency!   I’m sure they’ll make sure you get the help you need!  

Ravenna has absolutely stunning mosaics, rivalling Istanbul and St Petersburg.  We stayed there overnight and thoroughly enjoyed it and had the best risotto ever, so good, DH ended up in the kitchen talking to the chef!  Thanks to all who posted the great photos!  

F529504B-0AF9-4E05-AAF0-58FEE57BEB4C.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Rich @richwmn thank you for The Daily to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. I'm enjoying the photos from Ravenna ( somehow missed that port on earlier🚢 Princess cruises to the Med) ....thank you to all who contribute. 😊

Wonderful MLK quote.

Riesling seems to taste better while sitting outside in a cafe in Germany, lol. 😉

Darling photo of Camilla @smitty34877.

Retirement is the best and glad you're enjoying it @aliaschief. What an ordeal @mamaofami..better days ahead.

When I think of simplicity, Marie Kondo comes to mind. Remember all the decluttering and organizing ideas?🤔 I stopped purchasing books and use the Libby App for free downloads. 

🙏Prayers to all in need and ONLY 87° for today's high.

Katie

funny-marie-kondo-konmari-method-memes-2-5c5aa35e0e3ac__700.jpg

Oh my ! I SO agree!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. My eyes are the same color. Pecan Pie is too rich/sweet for me usually. I'm pretty simple I think.

Great quote.

I like the meal and drinks.

I've been to Italy but haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

Went and got my tests done this morning. It's hot here today with possible storms.

@rafinmd My surgery day is actually Tuesday the 20th.

@St. Louis Sal Enjoy your lunch with friends!

@smitty34877 Awww, what a sweet picture of Camilla and her Dad.

@mamaofami Wow on that aide! She was a piece of work, as they say. She needs a new profession.

@Marmot@Sea Good news. Hoping things stay under control.

@lindaler  Enjoy that visit with DD and her children!

@dfish What a day! It's got to get better, right?

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Okay, my question of the day hasn't been asked:  If eyes are different colors, what does the drivers license read for eye color?  

The picture of Camilla with her adoring Father is just so precious!  @mamaofamiI hope that your aide situation is remedied ASAP!  What a nightmare.

Our smoke from the fires in states West of us is worse than last year when the fire was only 10 miles away!  Our temps are just brutal currently.  Was 107 last Friday!  Will be "quite mild" today as it is only supposed to get to 102.

I join others in not being a fan of pecan pie as it is way too sweet for me.  Other than ice cream, the only dessert I love is unfrosted angel food cake, as that is what was served when I was growing up.

The pictures of Ravenna are lovely.  The mosaics are stunning!  What artists to have created such masterpieces.  Thanks to all who make this the "go to" place on CC.  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Everybody,

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for all the comments. I think I will return. Maybe not every day, though.

My favorite pie - Key lime. My favorite drink - Pina Colada. Do not eat/drink them very often - health reasons but willing to give it a go in December at least once.

Cruising on the Rotterdam 12/01/21 with cousins from NC. celebrating our anniversary (54) and our birthdays (80 for me, 78 for Madie). Honeymooned in 1967 on St. Thomas. Shibui, a Japanese cottage style hotel, now condos. Strawberry Daiquiris at the Hotel 1829. Looking forward to see if it is still in business.

First cruise was 1959 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (1938 version). Sailed on her again in 1966 (same table server!). Westerdam, Panama Canal from FL to Seattle in 2012. Oosterdam from Rome to FL in 2016. In 1959, took the SS Constitution from Genoa to New York City. Both 1959 trips were 8 nights.

Celebrated my 75th and Madie's 73rd on that. Since we were going to Rome, we thought we could add Florence before the cruise. Decided to add Venice before Florence. Madie's family came from Vienna so we added that before Venice. I always wanted to see Prague (WWII spy thrillers and more; I have posted nearly 250 book reviews on GoodReads.com). Flew from Seattle to New York City to Oslo to Prague.

I have a great story about a bird poop scam that happened to us in Barcelona in 2009 (Navigator of the Seas) pre-transatlantic cruise). Three hours in a Barcelona police station. Two hours getting new passports.

In 1989 on the Costa Riviera to celebrate my father's 85th birthday (August) we played tag with a hurricane in the Caribbean. Great videos of that.

Hope to meet you all on a cruise someday. Stay well.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Hello everyone; Does anyone remember the Smothers Brothers? (I know I am showing my age) Tom Smothers had one green eye and one blue eye.

I didn’t know that!  And yes, I remember them 😉 

• Like 7

🥧The pecan pie looks delicious @Overhead Fred...great photo and I am also a big fan of Key Lime pie @jeh10641! 🤔I recall hearing all the different scams taking place in Barcelona and other ports especially the ones about "surveys"....young girls holding a clip board and asking you to sign this and that.👍 Rick Steve's has tips on travel, etc. 

We are only at 80°so far...seems cool, lol!😯

Katie

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Everybody,

This is my first visit to this site. Thanks for all the comments. I think I will return. Maybe not every day, though.

My favorite pie - Key lime. My favorite drink - Pina Colada. Do not eat/drink them very often - health reasons but willing to give it a go in December at least once.

Cruising on the Rotterdam 12/01/21 with cousins from NC. celebrating our anniversary (54) and our birthdays (80 for me, 78 for Madie). Honeymooned in 1967 on St. Thomas. Shibui, a Japanese cottage style hotel, now condos. Strawberry Daiquiris at the Hotel 1829. Looking forward to see if it is still in business.

First cruise was 1959 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (1938 version). Sailed on her again in 1966 (same table server!). Westerdam, Panama Canal from FL to Seattle in 2012. Oosterdam from Rome to FL in 2016. In 1959, took the SS Constitution from Genoa to New York City. Both 1959 trips were 8 nights.

Celebrated my 75th and Madie's 73rd on that. Since we were going to Rome, we thought we could add Florence before the cruise. Decided to add Venice before Florence. Madie's family came from Vienna so we added that before Venice. I always wanted to see Prague (WWII spy thrillers and more; I have posted nearly 250 book reviews on GoodReads.com). Flew from Seattle to New York City to Oslo to Prague.

I have a great story about a bird poop scam that happened to us in Barcelona in 2009 (Navigator of the Seas) pre-transatlantic cruise). Three hours in a Barcelona police station. Two hours getting new passports.

In 1989 on the Costa Riviera to celebrate my father's 85th birthday (August) we played tag with a hurricane in the Caribbean. Great videos of that.

Hope to meet you all on a cruise someday. Stay well.

Welcome to the Daily 🙂. It’s a nice place to visit on CC and we hope you visit often 👍 🤞 

• Like 9