Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

Good morning from Seydisfjordur!  This may be as much of the village as we get to see. 😢

At 8 am this morning, Captain made an announcement reminding everyone to wear masks on Viking excursions. He said he understood some people were not and that while Iceland was requiring them, Viking was. 

A few minutes later, Cruise Director Jenna announced the ship had been cleared and excursions began to leave. 

About 9:15, Jenna announced that passengers could no longer leave the ship but to feel free to enjoy the ship’s public spaces. Almost at the same time, I got a text from Someone who was aboard a bus to the Baths. They had been stopped by the police and we’re being returned to the ship. They were told that there was a positive Covid case aboard the ship. 

About 10:20, the Captain announced this case (did not say whether passenger or crew) and that they were working with the local village. He said they would be back with announcements as they had news. 

As if 10:43, those on the busses are  stil aboard though we have seen some passengers come off and then reboard. (Restroom break?)

🤞that all the protocols will keep us safe And that Viking will be able to work with the local authorities to allow us to visit this beautiful village 

C7D6CDE3-7BE9-4473-BFB8-176DD2110F9F.jpeg

25A2C165-759F-45E6-9AC0-E101EA8B7DEB.jpeg

9A9E2838-A044-4186-856F-7D0573C1CC58.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the report, Clay.  So sorry this has happened and I know the anxiety level will be up on your cruise.  Keep us posted as you can, and we hope this can be resolved quickly.  I think there is Viking precedent for such an event, perhaps the Bahamas?  Anyway, thanks again!

Peace!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Those poor people stuck on the buses. 

Hoping for the best. 

They were allowed off about 10:45 or 11. Buses hung out for a while but then left. I suspect that means that Viking’s discussions with the “local authorities” didn’t convince them to allow us ashore. 

12:27 announcement:

Discussions unsuccessful. We are departing and heading to our next port. Given we were to be here until 11pm and then only had to go 87 miles I suspect we will be very slow cruising. 

Jenna announced they have planned a great sea day for us and new dailies are printed and being delivered to all bars, restaurants and public areas. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Discussions unsuccessful. We are departing and heading to our next port. Given we were to be here until 11pm and then only had to go 87 miles I suspect we will be very slow cruising. 

Jenna announced they have planned a great sea day for us and new dailies are printed and being delivered to all bars, restaurants and public areas. 

Sorry to hear that.   Enjoy the sea day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VolTravler said:

Thanks for the report, Clay.  So sorry this has happened and I know the anxiety level will be up on your cruise.  Keep us posted as you can, and we hope this can be resolved quickly.  I think there is Viking precedent for such an event, perhaps the Bahamas?  Anyway, thanks again!

Peace!

First Viking positive Covid was in Bermuda.  Different country, different consequence.  

Interestingly we haven’t departed Seydisfjördur yet (it’s now 3:10pm). Not sure why but wondering if some folks had independent excursions and were already off the ship when the decision was made to keep us all aboard. So Mike is now having trying the warm Pap’s Brandy and I’m having a cappuccino.

No other news to report. 

0784BA38-FFAF-4FC9-93B1-4FB81A69BC30.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop on this.  So curious whether Viking will re-test the person who tested positive, I would assume they would.   I love the pictures, enjoy your cappuccino!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop on this.  So curious whether Viking will re-test the person who tested positive, I would assume they would.   I love the pictures, enjoy your cappuccino!

Unless that person is on cruise critic I doubt we will ever know. 

This is the 2nd time Viking had a passenger test + for COVID. 1st was on one of the Bermuda Cruises. The FAQs on your My Viking Journey state: Guests with a positive COVID-19 test will be isolated on board and then disembarked at the first opportunity for quarantine at an appropriate facility ashore. A second test will be performed to validate the first test. If the second test confirms COVID-19, we will arrange for the guest to recover ashore before returning home once their recovery is complete. Upon their return home, Viking Customer Relations will contact the guest and their travel advisor directly regarding any necessary refunding or rescheduling.

I'm sure they are following their procedures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any idea what the protocol is for cleaning the ship after a positive case??

Can they disinfect over the remaining cruise time or will they need an extended period on disembarkation day, which could cause a problem with accommodating the next batch of passengers?

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So very sorry this happened.  Too bad one case made 700 people miss a port.  Wonder why the ship couldn't just go out to anchor until 11 pm.  I am sure Viking did a good job planning activities for the sea day.  Hope you are able to make other ports.  Any word about contact tracing?

2 hours ago, HalenK said:

We cruise next week and I’m fearing “Back to Viking Bubble”😢

We are on next weeks cruise also and I hope for the return to the Viking bubble, social distancing and strict mask requirement.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

So very sorry this happened.  Too bad one case made 700 people miss a port.  Wonder why the ship couldn't just go out to anchor until 11 pm.  I am sure Viking did a good job planning activities for the sea day.  Hope you are able to make other ports.  Any word about contact tracing?

Presuming that the local authorities didn’t want to put their 600 citizens at risk. 

No other word other than what I’ve shared. Haven’t heard of anyone else being in isolation. 🤞 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Presuming that the local authorities didn’t want to put their 600 citizens at risk. 

No other word other than what I’ve shared. Haven’t heard of anyone else being in isolation. 🤞 

I doubt they have the health infrastructure in place to handle COVID. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

We are on the July 20th cruise and had reinstated our mask/isolation procedures about a 10 days ago.  

Good for you.  We are taking a Covid test before we depart, we live in PR where there is still a mask mandate, we have been isolating ourselves and plan to double mask when traveling.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Iceland is probably a bit edgy with those 26 departing travelers testing positive since July 1.  

• Like 2