Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, JourneyDC said:

Here is one possible scenario.  The current July 10th sailing could be mandated for 14 day quarantine due to Icelands strict exposure rules.  If so - if guests are allowed to disembark Reykjavik - they may be subject to remainder of 14 day quarantine on land (own expense}.  Or will be required to stay on ship to complete (this could be govt mandated or Viking controlled).  If on ship then the July 17th and 25th sailings would be cancelled.  Stay tuned.....

For visitors traveling on land and testing positive, the quarantine protocol is to do so in an Iceland government approved quarantine hotel.  Is a Viking ship so designated?

1 hour ago, saratogian127 said:

I was also on a cruise where things didn't go... as planned to say the least... and Viking stepped up to the plate to make sure people were happy.

For me, Viking has always seemed to do the right thing. I'm more worried about United cancelling my flights (again)!

LOL.  I hear you.  Tried to check in for our domestic Jet Blue flight.  We couldn't and got a message saying our travel documents were not in order.  On earlier cruises people were saying they could not check in on line because the airline needed to see the vac card.

7 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

For visitors traveling on land and testing positive, the quarantine protocol is to do so in an Iceland government approved quarantine hotel.  Is a Viking ship so designated?

Yes.  Somewhere in papers I no longer have, Viking sent out a notice to the first Iceland cruisers who had to test and quarantine until the test results were in, that the ship constituted a quarantine hotel.  Hence we were allowed to go straight there, check in, and go to our cabins.

1 hour ago, dcl999 said:

Perhaps we should all also be super conscientious about properly masking with kn95 or double masks when in airports, on planes and when Viking requires. 

I have been saying this for weeks.  Be extremely cautious during the 10 days before travel, perhaps self quarantine, as well as double masking in airports and on plane.  AND don't take your mask off to eat or drink anywhere near other people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes.  Somewhere in papers I no longer have, Viking sent out a notice to the first Iceland cruisers who had to test and quarantine until the test results were in, that the ship constituted a quarantine hotel.  Hence we were allowed to go straight there, check in, and go to our cabins.

Yes, for the purposes of the brief 1 day at the most quarantine until test results were returned.  But i would not think for a full blown 14 day medically monitored isolation quarantine.

2 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

More like a "cult" following.

Wow you all are really dumping on this site which you purport to have nothing to do with and oh-so disdain,  on this man, the administrator of the site, who is, from all reports, actually salt of the earth and a really nice guy. Geesh! A cult? Seriously? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I have been saying this for weeks.  Be extremely cautious during the 10 days before travel, perhaps self quarantine, as well as double masking in airports and on plane.  AND don't take your mask off to eat or drink anywhere near other people.

14 days would be better as the incubation period is 4-14 days. Start wearing masks going into stores, no parties/gatherings, etc. 

Unvaccinated air arrivals to Bermuda are subjected to mandatory gov't controlled hotel quarantine, even if you have negative pre-arrival and arrival tests. Just today it was in the news that one guy test positive for covid on day 4 of his hotel quarantine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes, for the purposes of the brief 1 day at the most quarantine until test results were returned.  But i would not think for a full blown 14 day medically monitored isolation quarantine.

Why not?  The ship has a full time medical staff and the capacity for daily testing of all on board.

1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

Why not?  The ship has a full time medical staff and the capacity for daily testing of all on board.

If the Sky is being used as quarantine facility for 14 days, then what happen with the July 17th and July 24th sailings?

29 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well, my husband works in a hospital, so no self-quarantining for him (and, by proxy, for me). He had Covid and has since been vaccinated; there’s only so much you can do. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

No, I would not think that either.  I’m sure people will have to move off the ship by Saturday morning.  I certainly hope the unaffected get to go home. I remember taking an extra 14 days of prescription medicine just in case something like this occurred.  We all knew the risks…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

14 days would be better as the incubation period is 4-14 days. Start wearing masks going into stores, no parties/gatherings, etc. 

Unvaccinated air arrivals to Bermuda are subjected to mandatory gov't controlled hotel quarantine, even if you have negative pre-arrival and arrival tests. Just today it was in the news that one guy test positive for covid on day 4 of his hotel quarantine.

We start our "enhanced protocols" tomorrow evening, since Saturday is 14 days before our PCR test appointment prior to the flight to Bermuda. We've never gone unmasked in public, so for us "enhanced" means going back to curbside pickup for everything, or home delivery. It's a small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

If the Sky is being used as quarantine facility for 14 days, then what happen with the July 17th and July 24th sailings?

I would much rather blow off Iceland and take the five or six day sail to Boston or NY.  I'll even throw in a few (many) grand to avoid 14 days of pointless quarantine.

An option is Viking can charter flights for we, the unclean and get us outta here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

No, I would not think that either.  I’m sure people will have to move off the ship by Saturday morning.  I certainly hope the unaffected get to go home. I remember taking an extra 14 days of prescription medicine just in case something like this occurred.  We all knew the risks…

Funny, as I was packing extra meds this morning. And, considering bringing my laptop so I can work from there if I need to for any extra time "just in case".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

5pm

Captain just made an announcement that the Coastguard requires us to return directly to Reykjavik. He said shore excursions would be refunded and Viking was determining how to compensate us for the disruption. He stopped abruptly and said thank you. And there was not a follow on by Jenna. It ran through my head that he stopped so quickly as the phone rang with either Mr Hagen or the Iceland government with more information.   Stay tuned. 

So are you heading back to Reykjavik now?   Slow boat?  Since you are not suppose to be back in Reykjavik until Friday night sometime how slow do they have to go to make the trip take that long? Seems that is over kill for one passenger testing positive as I am assuming no others have tested positive since yesterday?   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jgg630 said:

I’ve been told that if they quarantine the Sky, they will bring another ship in for July 17 cruise. 

That’s funny! Like they have ships standing by that can be staffed and ready in two days  Would be nice tho. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, USI said:

Wow you all are really dumping on this site which you purport to have nothing to do with and oh-so disdain,  on this man, the administrator of the site, who is, from all reports, actually salt of the earth and a really nice guy. Geesh! A cult? Seriously? 

• Like 1

Just now, BQEC said:

I believe the "cult following" reference is for an unnamed individual who hosted an event on the Viking Bermuda cruise with unfortunate results. I believe that we all very much appreciate Clay's efforts to keep us informed throughout this situation. Following, yes "cult" no ...Thanks again, Clay. 

• Like 5