Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

Thanks for keeping us informed Clay and I hope this is your only disruption.  So many of us are watching and trying to decide what to do about upcoming cruises.  

Enjoy your sea day!

13 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Good for you.  We are taking a Covid test before we depart, we live in PR where there is still a mask mandate, we have been isolating ourselves and plan to double mask when traveling.

That’s what we did also. 

• Like 4

Also onboard and enjoying the afternoon "at sea" at the dock! I have a few questions that may or may not be answered:

1. Is this the agreed protocol with the Iceland federal government and local authorities? This was the "plan"? It seems a bit excessive for one positive test and no other issue.

2. Will the next port have the same reaction? (same protocol question too)

Sigh. Love the little waterfall up the hill on the starboard side...

PXL_20210714_131004291~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

5:30pm

Captain just announced as we were departing Seydisfjordur that the Covid positive patient had been tested again and while asymptomatic  was being isolated. The contact tracing system was activated and all close contacts had been notified and retested.  None had positive results. 😊

He reported that they are working with authorities in our next three ports as well as the federal government and they hope our cruise can continued as planned. 

Hopefully tomorrow morning we will get to go ashore 🤞

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 17

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Captain just announced as we were departing Seydisfjordur that the Covid positive patient had been tested again and while asymptomatic  was being isolated. The contact tracing system was activated and all close contacts had been notified and retested.  None had positive results. 😊

He reported that they are working with authorities in our next three ports as well as the federal government and they hope our cruise can continued as planned. 

Stay safe Clay. I really hope you will be able to continue with your excursions as planned.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Liz55 said:

Couldn’t agree more that these updates are appreciated!  We sail next week and are carefully following this thread. Best of luck!

22 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thank you Clay. We are in the airport headed that way for Saturday’s cruise. Hope y’all can back on track and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Keeping my toes and fingers crossed that next ports are made and excursions happen.

• Like 3

Thanks for keeping us updated.  The second positive test/isolation report was what someone on Facebook reported this morning.  But I'd rather get it from the source - the Captain and you!  I assume they're not saying whether the person was crew or passenger, right?  And I am planning to be well masked on our flight to Reykjavik.  I figure that's the most likely place I could be exposed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Any idea what the protocol is for cleaning the ship after a positive case??

Can they disinfect over the remaining cruise time or will they need an extended period on disembarkation day, which could cause a problem with accommodating the next batch of passengers?

I don't know.  But on another cruise line on a similarly sized ship, embarkation was delayed in San Francisco when the ship came back with some norovirus cases.  We ended up waiting in the port terminal for several hours while they finished extensive cleaning.  I don't remember if we departed on time, but if not, it wasn't significantly later than planned. Of course that's just one person's experienced, with a different virus and line, so who knows what will happen.  Cruising sometimes requires patience, I've found!  I just go with the flow....  

47 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Thank you Clay. We are in the airport headed that way for Saturday’s cruise. Hope y’all can back on track and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Agree

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maggers said:

Thanks for keeping us informed Clay and I hope this is your only disruption.  So many of us are watching and trying to decide what to do about upcoming cruises.  

Enjoy your sea day!

I don’t want to be held captive on the ship.  We were so excited to have things lighten up and allowing people to get off and walk around ports  and go off on their own. I don’t want to cruise in a bubble.  Wondering if we should cancel?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I don't know.  But on another cruise line on a similarly sized ship, embarkation was delayed in San Francisco when the ship came back with some norovirus cases.  We ended up waiting in the port terminal for several hours while they finished extensive cleaning.  I don't remember if we departed on time, but if not, it wasn't significantly later than planned. Of course that's just one person's experienced, with a different virus and line, so who knows what will happen.  Cruising sometimes requires patience, I've found!  I just go with the flow....  

Don't know how norovirus is transmitted.  More airborne from breathing like Covid19 or more hand to mouth/eyes/nose?

Thank you Clay.  We really appreciate you taking the time to keep us informed and hope this is the only hiccup to your wonderful trip.  We also love your comments, suggestions and help - you're the best!  Fingers crossed it is smooth sailing from here....

Teri

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

We left Seydisfjordur around 6pm or so (compared to 11 pm as regularly scheduled). But the ship is moving very slowly and I wonder if they don't want to get to the next port too early? It is very pretty around here with snow capped mountains.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks for keeping us updated.  The second positive test/isolation report was what someone on Facebook reported this morning.  But I'd rather get it from the source - the Captain and you!  I assume they're not saying whether the person was crew or passenger, right?  And I am planning to be well masked on our flight to Reykjavik.  I figure that's the most likely place I could be exposed. 

correct, we have not been told whether guest or crew. 

22 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Don't know how norovirus is transmitted.  More airborne from breathing like Covid19 or more hand to mouth/eyes/nose?

My understanding that noro is transmitted by hand, hence the repeated requests to wash hands. A friend who is a nurse has suggested that we should also continue to wash our hands often and not touch our faces. 

• Like 3

TayanaLorna    Norovirus is transmitted through touch.  If you have ever been on a ship with Norovirus, you would absolutely know this,  EVERYTHING is repeatedly wiped down with disinfectant, food at buffets is dished out by staff.  You can't touch the salt or pepper.  Sick passengers are confined to their room and staff brings them food, linens, etc. which are passed quickly through the door.  We were on a ship during one outbreak and the couple across the hall from us got it.  They were in an inside room and it was pitiful. They stayed there until we disembarked.  The best way to stay healthy on any cruise is to wash your hands like you were going into surgery, rinse them with water as hot as you can stand and stay out of public restrooms unless it is an absolute emergency!  It is incredibly contagious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HalenK said:

I don’t want to be held captive on the ship.  We were so excited to have things lighten up and allowing people to get off and walk around ports  and go off on their own. I don’t want to cruise in a bubble.  Wondering if we should cancel?

You've answered your own question.

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Was a certain social media star (on another site) perhaps hosting a party in his swanky suite - I certainly hope not, after what happened in Bermuda. 

He is not aboard our ship. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2