Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

2 hours ago, Margy said:

Really curious what’s happening with current cruise & what will happen with ours (July 17)

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/viking-1 "One vaccinated guest sailing on Viking Sky's current cruise around Iceland has tested positive for COVID-19".

We are also on the 7/17 cruise and will be following this closely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

He is not aboard our ship. 

Y'all can't gossip without more details. NOT fair. I want to know details - who is the TikTok (it is TikTok, right?) celebrity and what is the site that cannot be named?

I'm new here - haven't you heard the adage, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, then sit by me."

Edited by KarNog
addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was asked to move this post to this board. Just meant to be FYI and possibly more statistics than you care for, but I find it useful while waiting to hear if true positive or false positive (or they may never tell us). 

I believe this is a general statement, but the false positive frequency has an inverse correlation with prevalence.    With Sky's passengers and crew being fully vaccinated, the true prevalence should be low, say <1%. Which would make the false positive rate pretty high. This is from an FDA bulletin 11/2020 which explains the inverse correlation. Reference at bottom.- 

Remember that positive predictive value (PPV) varies with disease prevalence when interpreting results from diagnostic tests. PPV is the percent of positive test results that are true positives. As disease prevalence decreases, the percent of test results that are false positives increase.

• For example, a test with 98% specificity would have a PPV of just over 80% in a population with 10% prevalence, meaning 20 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
  • The same test would only have a PPV of approximately 30% in a population with 1% prevalence, meaning 70 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.  This means that, in a population with 1% prevalence, only 30% of individuals with positive test results actually have the disease.
  • At 0.1% prevalence, the PPV would only be 4%, meaning that 96 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
  • Health care providers should take the local prevalence into consideration when interpreting diagnostic test results.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

Punch line is this may be a false positive. Hope so. They will be rechecking. One of the reasons that Iceland dropped incoming visitor testing earlier this month is there had been only a few positives AMONG FULLY VACCINATED ARRIVALS since Iceland reopened and all of them turned out to be false positives. (n.b.- this does not hold true where prior probability of infection is higher, like in un-vaccinated people.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scrider said:

TayanaLorna    Norovirus is transmitted through touch.  If you have ever been on a ship with Norovirus, you would absolutely know this,  EVERYTHING is repeatedly wiped down with disinfectant, food at buffets is dished out by staff.  You can't touch the salt or pepper.  Sick passengers are confined to their room and staff brings them food, linens, etc. which are passed quickly through the door.  We were on a ship during one outbreak and the couple across the hall from us got it.  They were in an inside room and it was pitiful. They stayed there until we disembarked.  The best way to stay healthy on any cruise is to wash your hands like you were going into surgery, rinse them with water as hot as you can stand and stay out of public restrooms unless it is an absolute emergency!  It is incredibly contagious.

Thank you.  Never experienced it.

1 hour ago, kate7047 said:

I was asked to move this post to this board. Just meant to be FYI and possibly more statistics than you care for, but I find it useful while waiting to hear if true positive or false positive (or they may never tell us). 

I believe this is a general statement, but the false positive frequency has an inverse correlation with prevalence.    With Sky's passengers and crew being fully vaccinated, the true prevalence should be low, say <1%. Which would make the false positive rate pretty high. This is from an FDA bulletin 11/2020 which explains the inverse correlation. Reference at bottom.- 

Remember that positive predictive value (PPV) varies with disease prevalence when interpreting results from diagnostic tests. PPV is the percent of positive test results that are true positives. As disease prevalence decreases, the percent of test results that are false positives increase.

• For example, a test with 98% specificity would have a PPV of just over 80% in a population with 10% prevalence, meaning 20 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
  • The same test would only have a PPV of approximately 30% in a population with 1% prevalence, meaning 70 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.  This means that, in a population with 1% prevalence, only 30% of individuals with positive test results actually have the disease.
  • At 0.1% prevalence, the PPV would only be 4%, meaning that 96 out of 100 positive results would be false positives.
  • Health care providers should take the local prevalence into consideration when interpreting diagnostic test results.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

Punch line is this may be a false positive. Hope so. They will be rechecking. One of the reasons that Iceland dropped incoming visitor testing earlier this month is there had been only a few positives AMONG FULLY VACCINATED ARRIVALS since Iceland reopened and all of them turned out to be false positives. (n.b.- this does not hold true where prior probability of infection is higher, like in un-vaccinated people.) 

I’m not sure this is correct. The highest vaccination rate in the world is Israel. They have found nearly 50% of the people infected with the Delta variant are vaccinated. Israel only used the Pfizer vaccine and is beginning to do booster shots for select segments of the population.

https://apple.news/AVm3BQ02xSaalQmPhAkb57A

Edited by rbslos18

1 hour ago, KarNog said:

Y'all can't gossip without more details. NOT fair. I want to know details - who is the TikTok (it is TikTok, right?) celebrity and what is the site that cannot be named?

I'm new here - haven't you heard the adage, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, then sit by me."

Adage?

"If you have nothing good to say about anyone, come and sit with me."

--- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbslos18 said:

I’m not sure this is correct. The highest vaccination rate in the world is Israel. They have found nearly 50% of the people infected with the Delta variant are vaccinated.

https://apple.news/AVm3BQ02xSaalQmPhAkb57A

In no way is this a comment about the risk of getting infected (Delta or otherwise) once vaccinated. It is just a basic statistics principle. ALL tests have a sensitivity and specificity. The likelihood of a false positive increases as the prevalence of the disease decreases. The lower the prevalence the more likely that a positive test is a false positive. This applies to literally any test for a disease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kate7047 said:

This is exactly why I hope Viking drops the daily testing before our cruise next winter. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Clay, for setting up this thread.  We are on the August 28 cruise.  Hopefully the test was a false positive.  I can think of worse places to be if you can’t go ashore.  Enjoy your sea day and drink.

How has the weather been there?  On you tube, Affluent travel was on the sky 6 days ago sitting on the upper deck, in the sun.  He had shorts on and what looked like a light jacket.😻

12 minutes ago, sprshop said:

Thank you, Clay, for setting up this thread.  We are on the August 28 cruise.  Hopefully the test was a false positive.  I can think of worse places to be if you can’t go ashore.  Enjoy your sea day and drink.

How has the weather been there?  On you tube, Affluent travel was on the sky 6 days ago sitting on the upper deck, in the sun.  He had shorts on and what looked like a light jacket.😻

By the way my understanding is if you had a positive test while on one of the Bermuda Cruises, the Bermuda Govt ordered you into a 14 day Quarantine in a hotel on their Island no questions asked, you go directly to jail so to speak.  No second tests are given the next day.  False positives is why we cancelled our July 13 Bermuda cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VolTravler said:

Thanks for the report, Clay.  So sorry this has happened and I know the anxiety level will be up on your cruise.  Keep us posted as you can, and we hope this can be resolved quickly.  I think there is Viking precedent for such an event, perhaps the Bahamas?  Anyway, thanks again!

Peace!

Bermuda 

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

You've answered your own question.

I canceled my September cruise after reading about this. I realized that one positive test can derail an entire cruise. I decided it’s too expensive and too stressful to take the risk right now.  I’ll wait.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kate7047 said:

The passenger was retested and was still positive 

• Like 2

We are anchored offshore Djùpivogur this morning and have been cleared to go ashore!  

This will be my last post on this thread unless the positive guest aboard (who is isolated) impacts us in the future. 

Please return to the Live Thread for continuing reports on this and future cruises around Iceland. 😊

• Like 14

We are hoping to join Viking Star round the UK in August and are a bit confused by the differing reports we have read on the PCR testing. Some say you must go straight to your cabin and do the test and remain there until you get the result(hopefully negative). Others say they did the test and headed out for lunch and explored the ship. What was the process on Sky?

12 minutes ago, John117 said:

We are hoping to join Viking Star round the UK in August and are a bit confused by the differing reports we have read on the PCR testing. Some say you must go straight to your cabin and do the test and remain there until you get the result(hopefully negative). Others say they did the test and headed out for lunch and explored the ship. What was the process on Sky?

I am currently on the Viking Orion. First time on board , you go to cabin and do the spit in the tube . Leave it in your cabin and go anyplace on ship. You are wearing your tracking device on your person. Each day you must do the saliva spitting by 11:00.  Always wear the tracking device and mask in common space inside ship. This saliva test is not antigen but PCR. They have a lab on board. 
their protocol is working and a positive case was picked up with the testing, and it did not spread !!’
Think of the other ships like RC that do not do testing each day . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Was a certain social media star (on another site) perhaps hosting a party in his swanky suite - I certainly hope not, after what happened in Bermuda. 

I was certainly critical of the “get togethers” on the first Bermuda sailing, but in retrospect I really think he meant well and probably didn’t anticipate the backlash.  Viking facilitated his efforts at the time but it now appears they have adjusted their policies.  A “get together” of more than 100 (😮) was denied when a passenger contacted guest services prior to the 7/3 sailing (same social site, different person).  Some individuals seem to be determined to make their welcome back cruises exactly what they have experienced on previous cruises.  They are not going to be the same and best to accept that and enjoy what is “the new normal” … at least for now and the near future.  Viking has done a fabulous job making things as safe as they can and still providing a wonderful experience.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John117 said:

It seems like the protocols are to some extent dictated by the country in which the cruise takes place.  Best to address this concern on the Viking UK cruise threads.  And of course things are changing all the time.

8 hours ago, Damicom said:

He’s in Iceland ready to board the next cruise

I was on the Bermuda cruise, now he'll be on my Iceland cruise? I'll make sure to tell him to follow the rules. In Bermuda, it didn't effect us. Seems like in Iceland they were stuck on board and pulled anchor... so if I see him, I'll make sure to remind him to follow the rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are anchored offshore Djùpivogur this morning and have been cleared to go ashore!  

This will be my last post on this thread unless the positive guest aboard (who is isolated) impacts us in the future. 

Please return to the Live Thread for continuing reports on this and future cruises around Iceland. 😊

Hurray!!!!

Well ..not sure if Clay is onboard...cruise director just announced that Icelandic Coast Guard has stopped tender operations and asked all guests to be returned to the ship.....