Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

I was certainly critical of the “get togethers” on the first Bermuda sailing, but in retrospect I really think he meant well and probably didn’t anticipate the backlash.  Viking facilitated his efforts at the time but it now appears they have adjusted their policies.  A “get together” of more than 100 (😮) was denied when a passenger contacted guest services prior to the 7/3 sailing (same social site, different person).  Some individuals seem to be determined to make their welcome back cruises exactly what they have experienced on previous cruises.  They are not going to be the same and best to accept that and enjoy what is “the new normal” … at least for now and the near future.  Viking has done a fabulous job making things as safe as they can and still providing a wonderful experience.  

Think he knew exactly what he was doing.  Flexing his pull with Viking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kate7047 said:

In no way is this a comment about the risk of getting infected (Delta or otherwise) once vaccinated. It is just a basic statistics principle. ALL tests have a sensitivity and specificity. The likelihood of a false positive increases as the prevalence of the disease decreases. The lower the prevalence the more likely that a positive test is a false positive. This applies to literally any test for a disease.

Thanks. Makes sense.

15 hours ago, KarNog said:

Y'all can't gossip without more details. NOT fair. I want to know details - who is the TikTok (it is TikTok, right?) celebrity and what is the site that cannot be named?

I'm new here - haven't you heard the adage, "If you can't say anything nice about someone, then sit by me."

He runs a Viking fan page on “zuckerberg’s invention” very popular among some……

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Oh shoot...

What a shame Clay, so sorry to hear this. I was concerned about what would happen if we tested positive (ie spending 2 weeks in an expensive hotel in Iceland( but didn’t foresee that a positive would result in all cruisers missing out. I understand why, but that makes cruising in Iceland quite expensive (unless you are only going for the ship exoerience0. 

9 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I thought the 3rd WB is not at full capacity yet.  

Word I got was ~750 pax.

My pessimistic senses are telling me we can expect a repeat of yesterday and today in Heimaey.  This begs the question of what will happen in Reykjavik....

2-1/2 sea days to Belfast.  5 to NYC.

Edited by Donaghadee
  • Like 1

Just now, Donaghadee said:

Word I got was ~750 pax.

My pessimistic senses are telling me we can expect a repeat of yesterday and today in Heimaey.

This begs the question of what will happen in Reykjavik....

Indeed. I’m sure the Covid positive person will need to quarantine there but shouldn’t others be able to return to US as long as they have negative tests in hand. 

1 minute ago, Donaghadee said:

Word I got was ~750 pax.

My pessimistic senses are telling me we can expect a repeat of yesterday and today in Heimaey.  This begs the question of what will happen in Reykjavik....

Agreed. Or sail around until the Icelandic government is convinced we are all well.

Luckily I’m retired so I can deal with spending as long aboard as they will let me stay. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, librarylady19 said:

Indeed. I’m sure the Covid positive person will need to quarantine there but shouldn’t others be able to return to US as long as they have negative tests in hand. 

We have negative tests in hand right now and aren't allowed ashore.

3 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Word I got was ~750 pax.

My pessimistic senses are telling me we can expect a repeat of yesterday and today in Heimaey.

This begs the question of what will happen in Reykjavik....

That still is a lot. In retrospect, Viking shouldn’t have ramped up the number of passengers so quickly. 

2 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

That still is a lot. In retrospect, Viking shouldn’t have ramped up the number of passengers so quickly. 

Agree. Or, should have stopped selling more rooms after the case in Bermuda. Or, have a had a more clear idea/agreement with Iceland of what do if/when you get a single positive test of an asymptomatic vaccinated individual not to ruin it for everyone else. At least in Bermuda, it didn't change anything for us in a negative way.

3 minutes ago, saratogian127 said:

Agree. Or, should have stopped selling more rooms after the case in Bermuda. Or, have a had a more clear idea/agreement with Iceland of what do if/when you get a single positive test of an asymptomatic vaccinated individual not to ruin it for everyone else. At least in Bermuda, it didn't change anything for us in a negative way.

Well, maybe Viking needs to change its marketing campaign to “welcome back….maybe” it is still a very uncertain and precarious situation with Covid.   Our Sept. fjords cruise (on RCCL) out of Southampton was just changed to Spain/Portugal only and we cancelled. Not sure we can even get to UK at this point.  So grateful we were able to go to Iceland last week. 

Edited by librarylady19

2 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Well, maybe Viking needs to change its marketing campaign to “welcome back….maybe” it is still a very uncertain and precarious situation with Covid.   Our Sept. fjords cruise (on RCCL) out of Southampton was just changed to Spain/Portugal only and we cancelled. Not sure we can even get to UK at this point.  So grateful we were able to go to Iceland last week. 

"Welcome back... kind of. In a way. Possibly from a distance off shore.."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

2 minutes ago, saratogian127 said:

I don’t know that fewer passengers would have stopped this from happening. 

I hope (and based on conversations aboard) I think those agreements were in place. But as others have reported, Iceland has seen an increase in positive cases since they stopped their border testing and perhaps they are changing the rules. This is sorta similar to the moving target for those who hope to be going to Malta. 

I’m not happy that we have missed some of the things we hoped to see while in Iceland but we knew that we had to be flexible when we booked the cruise. To date, from my perspective, Viking has done everything they can to give us a memorable experience. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1