This why cruise ships should not allow any unvaccinated adult onboard any ship.

terrydtx

On 7/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, Babr said:

Have you checked your credit card benefits for travel protection? Some people are comfortable pairing that for cancellation and other travel related risks with an annual policy for medical and evacuation.

Yes.  Some Credit Cards provide travel protection and some people are happy with it.   But in my experience it is pretty basic coverage when you compare with purchased Travel Insurance policies and the multiple options they offer.  But yes for a price.  In the current COVID travel age, check all policies carefully including credit card policies.  Some have certain types of COVID or Pandemic coverage now- check all the fine print.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes.  Some Credit Cards provide travel protection and some people are happy with it.   But in my experience it is pretty basic coverage when you compare with purchased Travel Insurance policies and the multiple options they offer.  But yes for a price.  In the current COVID travel age, check all policies carefully including credit card policies.  Some have certain types of COVID or Pandemic coverage now- check all the fine print.

I was thinking of it in terms of cancellation coverage paired with GeoBlue. Cards such as Chase Sapphire Reserve offer up to$10,000 per trip with a small amount for medical, but I don’t know if it covers evacuation. I have never felt comfortable myself to depend on it for a cruise, but many people report using it successfully.

Do you have to buy a comprehensive policy to get cancellation coverage and other travel benefits or are the stand-alone policies for that without the medical coverage to pair with the annual medical?

On 7/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bo1953 said:

I say take their money, test as RCCL did, kick them off at next port at their own expense.

The price of placing the whole ship and sailing in jeopardy, especially knowing that you are not vaccinated...

Contracting C-19 after vaccination is a different issue, IMO and calls for a different approach and treatment even if kicked off the ship.

She planned for the sailing for a year, plenty of time to be vaccinated even with a C-19 diagnosis AND Dr.'s note etc...

While I do not know (yet suspect it was not done) she could have self-tested before arrival to the ship to confirm if neg or pos for C-19.

$1 bet she did not have travel insurance!!!

In health and bon voyage

I agree with everything that you're saying.  I believe RCCL went overboard compensating this lady and her friend.  Private plane home @ RCCL expense, reimbursement for the cruise....even after she spent a few days on the ship, a Future Cruise Credit....for WHAT?????  Sailing unvaccinated and getting a positive test she should have been put off the ship at the port (or next available port) at her expense, reimbursement should have been pro-rated and ABSOLUTELY NO FCC!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Babr said:

I was thinking of it in terms of cancellation coverage paired with GeoBlue. Cards such as Chase Sapphire Reserve offer up to$10,000 per trip with a small amount for medical, but I don’t know if it covers evacuation. I have never felt comfortable myself to depend on it for a cruise, but many people report using it successfully.

Do you have to buy a comprehensive policy to get cancellation coverage and other travel benefits or are the stand-alone policies for that without the medical coverage to pair with the annual medical?

My feeling, especially these days, is that when I travel internationally I want to have a well known widely accepted medical policy.  I use GeoBlue because before my trip I can go to their website and save information from their network for every country I plan to visit (and cities too).  I get local info on physicians, clinics and hospitals accepting their coverage.  If I have a number of trips in one year it covers all of them for one reasonable annual fee.  I consider the travel benefits like trip interruption a different issue entirely.  The medical coverage is what is important to offset a major financial event and keep us safe.  Trip coverage will be an annoyance if something happens but not a financial game changer.   So for trip coverage I shop by price for the best travel benefits and don't care about the medical part.  Yes that might be GeoBlue coupled with a credit card coverage or some other travel policy I can find online.  I have not traveled internationally in 18 months now so when I start again I will pay particular attention to COVID and PANDEMIC wording in these policies.  And what happens for unexpected quarantines.  

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My feeling, especially these days, is that when I travel internationally I want to have a well known widely accepted medical policy.  I use GeoBlue because before my trip I can go to their website and save information from their network for every country I plan to visit (and cities too).  I get local info on physicians, clinics and hospitals accepting their coverage.  If I have a number of trips in one year it covers all of them for one reasonable annual fee.  I consider the travel benefits like trip interruption a different issue entirely.  The medical coverage is what is important to offset a major financial event and keep us safe.  Trip coverage will be an annoyance if something happens but not a financial game changer.   So for trip coverage I shop by price for the best travel benefits and don't care about the medical part.  Yes that might be GeoBlue coupled with a credit card coverage or some other travel policy I can find online.  I have not traveled internationally in 18 months now so when I start again I will pay particular attention to COVID and PANDEMIC wording in these policies.  And what happens for unexpected quarantines.  

Good advice thank you. We have 3 Europe cruises next year and I will look into this more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks.  In case you have not already seen it, Trawick International is a company that specifically covers expenses for quarantine. I believe there are a couple of choices within their portfolio. Voyager is one.

I saw an article in Forbes about best covid travel policies which led me to Smartmouth.com. It is similar to insuremytrip.com... but I found that I liked the detailed search options... once I entered my criteria and got a number of options... I called the company and the agent not only answered my questions but helped me further refine the policy to include just what I needed.. I ended up with a Trawick policy.. but there were a number of options.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thanks.  In case you have not already seen it, Trawick International is a company that specifically covers expenses for quarantine. I believe there are a couple of choices within their portfolio. Voyager is one.

Thank you I will check it out!

12 minutes ago, kearney said:

I saw an article in Forbes about best covid travel policies which led me to Smartmouth.com. It is similar to insuremytrip.com... but I found that I liked the detailed search options... once I entered my criteria and got a number of options... I called the company and the agent not only answered my questions but helped me further refine the policy to include just what I needed.. I ended up with a Trawick policy.. but there were a number of options.

I have purchased my last several trip insurance policies using Squaremouth.  Good place to compare and purchase.

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have purchased my last several trip insurance policies using Squaremouth.  Good place to compare and purchase.

Like my cruise planning.... I like to look on line and then call the companies to have questions answered and finalize plans. 

Back to the topic of sailing with unvaccinated vs total vaccinated sailings...it looks like Disney is following the RCL model ... which makes sense... since if ever there was a family cruise line..it is Disney. It will be interesting to see how people react to that.. Like Royal they are requiring travel insurance, testing masking etc.   I don't recall if they did simulated cruises or not..but I assume they have.    https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2021/07/disney-cruise-line-announces-august-9-2021-u-s-restart-and-publishes-safety-protocols/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for this information.  GeoBlue appears to have better coverage than AIG TravelGuard at a better price and more coverage.

Have you had GeoBlue pay out a claim yet?  Are they OK to deal with?

9 hours ago, Babr said:

I noticed that GeoBlue did not cover quarantine.  I tried Trawick and they did not seem to cover French Polynesia. Any ideas on others?

Edited by NMTraveller

29 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I noticed that GeoBlue did not cover quarantine.  I tried Trawick and they did not seem to cover French Polynesia. Any ideas on others?

Sorry. I don’t have any other suggestions. I’m beginning to reacquaint myself with travel insurance. Like most others, I have not travelled in a while, and insurance policies have changed somewhat since Covid.

• Like 1

Just now, Babr said:

Sorry. I don’t have any other suggestions. I’m beginning to reacquaint myself with travel insurance. Like most others, I have not travelled in a while, and insurance policies have changed somewhat since Covid.

Same here.  I think that  I will ask this question on the insurance forum.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, kearney said:

I saw an article in Forbes about best covid travel policies which led me to Smartmouth.com. It is similar to insuremytrip.com... 

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

To clear this up, the correct site is Squaremouth.com (not smartmouth)
Travel Insurance - Compare the Best Quotes & Buy Online (squaremouth.com)

I too worry for future cruises, and feel Insurance is now semi-required...  I'm asking a question here -- As I was employed, my Work Health insurance covered me (at least I thought so) when I cruised; but now I'm retired and on Medicare... I am pretty sure Medicare covers nothing outside of the US; is this correct?  Therefore, I'll need some form of Travel/Health insurance coverage for any future travels?

Kirk

10 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

I too worry for future cruises, and feel Insurance is now semi-required...  I'm asking a question here -- As I was employed, my Work Health insurance covered me (at least I thought so) when I cruised; but now I'm retired and on Medicare... I am pretty sure Medicare covers nothing outside of the US; is this correct?  Therefore, I'll need some form of Travel/Health insurance coverage for any future travels?

Kirk

I had to laugh.... I keep doing that! Must be some deep seated psych thing....

42 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Kirk

Do you have a Medicare supplement?  When I retired, I kept FepBlu, which covers out of country.  My sister has Cigna which does the same.  EM

On 7/23/2021 at 10:29 AM, kearney said:

Back to the topic of sailing with unvaccinated vs total vaccinated sailings...it looks like Disney is following the RCL model ... which makes sense... since if ever there was a family cruise line..it is Disney. It will be interesting to see how people react to that.. Like Royal they are requiring travel insurance, testing masking etc.   I don't recall if they did simulated cruises or not..but I assume they have.    https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2021/07/disney-cruise-line-announces-august-9-2021-u-s-restart-and-publishes-safety-protocols/

This is from a Facebook group.  Yesterday a member questioned Celebrity's bubble tours for families with children, then another member told us about two positives on the Apex.  Hope this family remains asymptomatic. 

IMG_2194914AD1DC-1.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

• Thanks 1

I came across this paper ..one of the authors is a Dr at Johns Hopkins. It is making the case that positive test results among asymptomatic vaccinated... may be misleading and essentially overstates the problem with the virus. Interesting read. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/07/21/covid-testing-vaccinated/  

2 hours ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

I am pretty sure Medicare covers nothing outside of the US; is this correct?  

Medicare alone does not cover foreign medical expenses, but some of the Medicare supplement plans do (like Plan G).  Be careful, though, as they have lifetime maximums. 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Do you have a Medicare supplement?  EM

11 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Medicare alone does not cover foreign medical expenses, but some of the Medicare supplement plans do (like Plan G).  Be careful, though, as they have lifetime maximums. 

Thanks to all, I know this was a topic diversion, but appreciate the 'Heads Up'.
Yes, I have United Healthcare, but signed up for it without checking the Travel aspects, as Cruising was out of the question (..waaaay back in Dec/Jan).

I'm still gun-shy of booking, as I want too much?
a) 100% vaccinated cruise
b) Leave my buffet alone... (I'm flexible, if they want to serve me, fine)
c)  Can I simply get off the ship in port, to do as I please?
d)  Are the ports / Islands safe (from Covid-19) for me to do my own thing?
e)  What are the vaccination rates of the ports/Islands?  Are they ready for 3,000 visitors? or 6,000, etc.
f) And oh, I think prices are too high... but as another poster mentioned, until the FCC are used up, prices may remain artificially high?

I wanna go, I really, really do (kids voice) but I'm not ready yet...
And side note, my Bank of America Cruise points are gonna slowly start to fall off....

Kirk

2 minutes ago, Crusin till Im Dead said:

Yes, I have United Healthcare, but signed up for it without checking the Travel aspects,

The company you have a Medicare Supplement Plan from is not what governs the benefits, it's which lettered Plan you have.  Each lettered Medicare Supplement Plan has the same benefits nationwide; this is mandated by federal law.