sangiorgio hotel Civitavecchia

phatsneaks

All I will say is to suggest that you look at the reviews of that hotel that are on TripAdvisor (a sister company of CC) and then draw your own conclusion.   I am troubled by the idea of making present day recommendations based on pre-COVID  experience.  

Hank

We’re in the process of booking a hotel prior to our cruise in May. I looked at the TA reviews on this hotel as I do all hotels and it seems that many who booked a “refundable” rate did not receive a refund and the hotel doesn’t seem to be responding. We will look elsewhere. 

On 7/18/2021 at 7:26 AM, cruisemom42 said:

What hank says is true; however, in recent pre-COVID time I recall reading several complaints about the San Giorgio here. In addition to the comments about refunds I think I would be very reluctant to book there.

Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Civitavecchia? We just need one night pre cruise. 

12 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Do you have a recommendation for a hotel in Civitavecchia? We just need one night pre cruise. 

I will jump in :).  Since it is unlikely that any of us have recently been to Civitavecchia (because of COVID) any recommendation would be questionable because of changes that might have happened because of the pandemic.  The last time we needed to spend a night in "Civ" was about 2 years ago and we tried the Hotel Borgo del Mare.  The price was right, the staff at the hotel were terrific, but the location is not good since it is located outside of town.  The San Giorgio would seem like a good candidate, but this hotel has been said to be very hit/miss (over several years) because of management that seems to have little interest in their customers.   We avoided this hotel for a few years because of some reported issues where confirmed reservations were not always honored and some folks would arrive to find out that they were being relocated to another hotel (not as nice).  

You might want to go to "Booking.com" and pull up a list of the hotels so that you can read their evaluation and related reviews.  But like many things, we suspect most of this is pre-COVID.   As a frequent cruiser and very frequent European traveler you might want to just consider that you will only be spending one night and "how bad can it be."   There are times when we settle for less then we like on one night bookings.  Bottom line for us is that we do our best to avoid staying anywhere in Civitavecchia unless it becomes very necessary (this has often happened when we are dropping a rental car in Civitavecchia..pre-cruise).

Hank

We ended up booking Hotel Traghetto. Reviews are good and the hotel was very quick to respond to my email. It looks to be an older hotel and probably a two-three star by U.S standards but the location is great and it’s only for one night. Mainly just a place to shower and sleep. Not a lot of options in Civitavecchia. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

• 1 month later...

@Hlitner,

Wondering why you avoid Citavecchia ?

I've been to Rome twice on land trips

I don't really need to see anything there before my next cruise

I thought relaxing for a night or so near the port would be a good idea but am willing to rethink that based on your advice

Not Hank, but we have spent a few  nights before a cruise near the beautiful hill top town of Orvieto, another time in Viterbo where we visited the lovely old town and the beautiful Villa Lante,  and Villa Farnese.   We have also spent time a little further away in Gaeta and Tuscany.    There are lots of really interesting places an hour or so away from Civitavecchia.   

a few photos from Viterbo area and Orvieto and it’s magnificent cathedral.

65606530-891E-4C69-9C22-3F6F7CCB6FCD.jpeg

1A3C4DA3-CB8A-4F4E-9A2E-0336F4DB85F9.jpeg

6909D44E-C336-4D59-A782-73BC975B79A8.jpeg

9615A149-0B48-4AEB-AC71-914B3446780A.jpeg

D8DFF7E3-7844-4CF8-BE42-9EE96C57E729.jpeg

F1550A55-5DD3-4E98-8442-423DB9E133F6.jpeg

63567D09-3EC9-4C3F-8BCA-8F10E9CB262C.jpeg

9D99CC1F-9597-431F-ADA9-5E21C01936A9.jpeg

C37CAFB5-969D-4A11-ABF4-C1D715B03245.jpeg

D637BB0C-BF2A-4789-AFB9-95CE3C0D3127.jpeg

Edited by bennybear

@bennybear,

T h an I s for the Orvieto suggestion

I am often a solo land t re ave I er

I've been to a Italy 5 times so far but h ave not visited Orvieto

I usually tell folks that the towns in Italy are soo rich with sights that visiting f r om a cruise ship doesn't do them justice 

I am taking this cruise because my husband is more comfortable on a ship and wants to travel with m e

He has not been to Europe before and so I'm trying to m ake

Heasy and comfy v arrangements for him

After the long plane trip I think he'll want to just relax at a hotel or take a short c walk

Sorry for the typos

My tablet is not cooperating tonight

Laura

• Like 1

@riffatsea  Not Hank either, but I also am not a fan of Civitavecchia. We've talked before regarding Italy, not sure if you remember me. Civitavecchia is one of the LEAST charming places I've been to in Italy.  And in recent years it seems that the hotels and restaurants do not try very hard to make things more pleasant as they know they have such a captive audience with cruise ship passengers who are just staying the one night or possibly two. The hotels are very tired, in particular. 

Even if one doesn't want to see the sights in Rome, it is so much more pleasant in terms of hotel choices in areas where one can can a stroll or two, relax in a piazza and/or have a very nice meal. 

Too many people get hung up on being close to the ship. Rome is only a bit over an hour away. It's hard for me to imagine any circumstances where one would not be able to get to the ship "in time" especially with prior arrangements made.

If your husband hasn't been to Italy before, there is double reason to stay in Rome. There is just nothing impressive about Civi....  IMO.

• Like 1

Sigh. Some of you may remember me from the Italy boards on Trip Adviser

I was  a very active poster and land traveler

I hear what you guys are saying and will take your advice to heart

I have enjoyed 2 very different hotel stays in Rome so will consider them again pre cruise

Rome is not my favorite city in Europe even though it has much to offer

DH is totally not interested in sightseeing there

I do want him to be comfy and both my hotels were delightful

Thanks again for your advice

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, cruisemom42 said:

@riffatsea  Not Hank either, but I also am not a fan of Civitavecchia. We've talked before regarding Italy, not sure if you remember me. Civitavecchia is one of the LEAST charming places I've been to in Italy.  And in recent years it seems that the hotels and restaurants do not try very hard to make things more pleasant as they know they have such a captive audience with cruise ship passengers who are just staying the one night or possibly two. The hotels are very tired, in particular. 

Even if one doesn't want to see the sights in Rome, it is so much more pleasant in terms of hotel choices in areas where one can can a stroll or two, relax in a piazza and/or have a very nice meal. 

Too many people get hung up on being close to the ship. Rome is only a bit over an hour away. It's hard for me to imagine any circumstances where one would not be able to get to the ship "in time" especially with prior arrangements made.

If your husband hasn't been to Italy before, there is double reason to stay in Rome. There is just nothing impressive about Civi....  IMO.

Hmm.   A "Cruisemom" called Hank!  Kind of boggles the mind until we recall Johnnie Cash's "A Boy Named Sue."  I guess these days we cannot even discuss this issue (i.e. what gender do you identify as today?).  

I will reiterate that the only reason we would now consider staying in Civitavecchia is if we had to drop a rental car the afternoon/evening before a cruise.   Otherwise we would certainly be in Rome.

Hank

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, cruisingator2 said:

We ended up booking Hotel Traghetto. Reviews are good and the hotel was very quick to respond to my email. It looks to be an older hotel and probably a two-three star by U.S standards but the location is great and it’s only for one night. Mainly just a place to shower and sleep. Not a lot of options in Civitavecchia. 

We are sailing on the Getaway Oct 4th.  We are staying at the Hotel Traghetto as well.  Good reviews and very prompt response from management.  Also, it is directly across the street from the cruise shuttle bus stop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, cruisingator2 said:

We’re in the process of booking a hotel prior to our cruise in May. I looked at the TA reviews on this hotel as I do all hotels and it seems that many who booked a “refundable” rate did not receive a refund and the hotel doesn’t seem to be responding. We will look elsewhere. 

Had the same experience at this hotel and had previously stayed there.  Refundable rate was charged at time of booking and never refunded.  Hotel was contacted many times to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, bennybear said:

Not Hank, but we have spent a few  nights before a cruise near the beautiful hill top town of Orvieto, another time in Viterbo where we visited the lovely old town and the beautiful Villa Lante,  and Villa Farnese.  

How did you get from FCO to Orvieto and then Orvieto to the ship? Taxi? We'll have too much luggage for a bus

On 8/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi CruiseMom...you've been very helpful to me on other threads...re Hotel Traghetto...I know you're not a fan of Civitavecchia, but any experience with this hotel?  We had great communication with them, when dates had to be changed they accommodated quickly, and when we requested a port view room they put us on a waiting list.  I get that it isn't modern, but we're going there keeping history and Italian charm in mind so I don't think we'll be disappointed having little expectations....unless....the shower is a 'bucket in the corner' with a scrub brush attached...😉.  We're touring the Rome attractions after 2nd leg of our back to back, staying at the Albergo Del Senato for a few days (with your recommendation) so the pre cruise hotel is for convenience.  I really hope to be able to see something of Civi between the two cruises docking...any suggestions?

Edited by Oceangoer2

19 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Hi CruiseMom...you've been very helpful to me on other threads...re Hotel Traghetto...I know you're not a fan of Civitavecchia, but any experience with this hotel?  We had great communication with them, when dates had to be changed they accommodated quickly, and when we requested a port view room they put us on a waiting list.  I get that it isn't modern, but we're going there keeping history and Italian charm in mind so I don't think we'll be disappointed having little expectations....unless....the shower is a 'bucket in the corner' with a scrub brush attached...😉.  We're touring the Rome attractions after 2nd leg of our back to back, staying at the Albergo Del Senato for a few days (with your recommendation) so the pre cruise hotel is for convenience.  I really hope to be able to see something of Civi between the two cruises docking...any suggestions?

I'm afraid I am not going to be much help with the hotel. None of the choices in Civitavecchia are great, but this one is as good as any and better than some. Just read a recent (2021) review that confirmed what I have seen elsewhere, to sum up: it's inexpensive, friendly but "badly in need of a refurbish".  

Regarding what to see in Civitavecchia, the Port Mobility website does a very good job of providing information on the sights of Civitavecchia (again, keep expectations modest).  Here is a tour of the most interesting spots in the old centro, for example:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/itinerari/half-day/civitavecchias-old-town-centre#

I'll admit that I find the town sights rather uninspiring, but more interesting to me are some of the even older parts of the "old port" that you can visit during a several hour stroll:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/itinerari/top-routes/historic-port-civitavecchia

And if you do the latter, I would also vote to include the small but interesting archaeological museum which is near Fort Michelangelo:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/national-archeological-museum-civitavecchia

All this can be easily done on foot. It may also be worth considering as an option a visit to Tarquinia via local bus -- a much more prepossessing town with one of the best Etruscan collections in Italy plus access to the astounding painted Etruscan tombs.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm afraid I am not going to be much help with the hotel. None of the choices in Civitavecchia are great, but this one is as good as any and better than some. Just read a recent (2021) review that confirmed what I have seen elsewhere, to sum up: it's inexpensive, friendly but "badly in need of a refurbish".  

Regarding what to see in Civitavecchia, the Port Mobility website does a very good job of providing information on the sights of Civitavecchia (again, keep expectations modest).  Here is a tour of the most interesting spots in the old centro, for example:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/itinerari/half-day/civitavecchias-old-town-centre#

I'll admit that I find the town sights rather uninspiring, but more interesting to me are some of the even older parts of the "old port" that you can visit during a several hour stroll:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/itinerari/top-routes/historic-port-civitavecchia

And if you do the latter, I would also vote to include the small but interesting archaeological museum which is near Fort Michelangelo:

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/national-archeological-museum-civitavecchia

All this can be easily done on foot. It may also be worth considering as an option a visit to Tarquinia via local bus -- a much more prepossessing town with one of the best Etruscan collections in Italy plus access to the astounding painted Etruscan tombs.

Wow...thank you...more information than I can process...will look into your links.

Not sure if you are asking for suggestions for just the turn around day on a back to back cruise?  We too would highly recommend Tarquinia,  the ancient .Etruscan Necropolis and museum are very worthwhile and the local bus will take you in about half an hour.  
Last  time we booked a tour of more Etruscan sites and a palace with Stefano’s Rome cabs.  I would be happy to share more info if you’re interested. 
We usually stay a little further before a cruise,  we’ve used both Orvieto and Viterbo as good places to explore.  They’re  about an hour from the port.  

I am also interested in some information in Civitavecchia.  I am wondering if I can go to a laundromat while in port on the turnaround day on B2B cruises?  Do?  Does anyone have experience.  We will be on the Edge next October for 3 B2b.  I prefer not to rely on Celebrity for all my laundry needs for a month!

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 10:26 AM, cruisingator2 said:

We stayed there for one night before our cruise in September.  It was perfect for our needs. The room was very basic, but the location was good. The breakfast was nice and the cappuccino was wonderful .  They called a taxi for us to get to the port the morning of our cruise.

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, s.greer said:

We stayed there for one night before our cruise in September.  It was perfect for our needs. The room was very basic, but the location was good. The breakfast was nice and the cappuccino was wonderful .  They called a taxi for us to get to the port the morning of our cruise.

Back to this topic. We’re sticking with this hotel for one night. We are expecting clean and very basic. We will be staying in Sorrento for four nights before making our way up to Civitavecchia. After the cruise we’re heading to Rome for three nights so I did want to go to Rome for one night pre-cruise. I will post back in early June after we return on how this hotel was. The responses from my emails have been prompt and very polite. I appreciate everyone’s responses.