Enchantment and Grandeur - Unitor Contract

I saw an article in Marine Link today (7/16/2021) about a contract for Unitor to install 450 pre-fabricated passenger cabins in both Enchantment of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas but do not see any date for this project.  We have a cruise booked in December for Enchantment but no idea if this work will be before or after we sail.  Please message back if you have seen the drydock schedule as I cannot seem to find anything current for Enchantment and really no word as to when Royal will start sailing out of Baltimore.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, dream2cruise said:

We have a cruise booked in December for Enchantment but no idea if this work will be before or after we sail.  

Unlikely any work will be done to either ship and certainly no cabins will be added while under RCI.

3 minutes ago, dream2cruise said:

Article states that the contract is between Unitor and Royal.

It doesn't matter what the article says, there's no way to add 450 cabins to an Oasis class sized ship, never mind something the size of Grandeur. They may have got the ship name wrong and perhaps are talking about Icon, though that ship will need about 2500 cabins. 

Edited by Biker19

Just now, Biker19 said:

It doesn't matter what the article says, there's no way to add 450 cabins to an Oasis class sized ship, never mind something the size of Grandeur. They may have got the ship name wrong and perhaps are talking about Icon.

Could the be just revamping the cabins by trading out old ones for new ones?

1 minute ago, dswallow said:

It also refers to new builds and refers to both ships as 74,000 GT (Enchantment was lengthened long ago and is now about 83,000 GT).

Maritime Contracts Unitor Contracting Div. Gets Work On RCCL (marinelink.com)

So just not sure what to make of it. 🙂

Agreed.  I was just curious as to the status of Enchantment so did some searching today and ran across that article.

2 minutes ago, dream2cruise said:

Could the be just revamping the cabins by trading out old ones for new ones?

RCI has never done that to my knowledge. When they refurbish the cabins they change out the carpet and maybe the sofa and perhaps fix the cabinetry.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI has never done that to my knowledge. When the refurbish the cabins they change out the carpet and maybe the sofa and perhaps fix the cabinetry.

The article also mentions scope of work includes carpeting, flooring, furniture, "all technical contact points", bulkheads, ceilings, adjoining alleways, ventilation work, sanitary systems, electrical systems, sprinkler systems and insulation.

I recall a full switch out to new prefabricated cabins on Sovereign of the Seas years ago. It was featured on a multi-part documentary on some cable channel. 

Edited by coaster

2 minutes ago, dream2cruise said:

Agreed.  I was just curious as to the status of Enchantment so did some searching today and ran across that article.

That article info just doesn't sound right for RCI.

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

It also refers to new builds and refers to both ships as 74,000 GT (Enchantment was lengthened long ago and is now about 83,000 GT).

Maritime Contracts Unitor Contracting Div. Gets Work On RCCL (marinelink.com)

So just not sure what to make of it. 🙂

Looks like a 1995 article.

https://magazines.marinelink.com/Magazines/MaritimeReporter/199509/page/18

Page 18 of the 1995 edition.

1025269338_ScreenShot2021-07-16at6_01_52PM.thumb.jpg.772da88eac60e1d731f1446b8279daca.jpg

As it says, the vessels were being built at the time.  

Magazine edition cover.

1527392037_ScreenShot2021-07-16at6_05_22PM.thumb.jpg.3f00455c483a277dcd04478d5aa9e0b2.jpg

Edited by twangster

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Looks like a 1995 article.

https://magazines.marinelink.com/Magazines/MaritimeReporter/199509/page/18

Page 18 of the 1995 edition.

1025269338_ScreenShot2021-07-16at6_01_52PM.thumb.jpg.772da88eac60e1d731f1446b8279daca.jpg

As it says, the vessels were being built at the time.  

Magazine edition cover.

1527392037_ScreenShot2021-07-16at6_05_22PM.thumb.jpg.3f00455c483a277dcd04478d5aa9e0b2.jpg

Wow!  Why in the world does it show up with today's date online?

Unitor - Enchantment.JPG

6 minutes ago, dream2cruise said:

Wow!  Why in the world does it show up with today's date online?

Unitor - Enchantment.JPG

I think that's today's date at the top of the page, not meant to refer to the article below.

Take a look tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think that's today's date at the top of the page, not meant to refer to the article below.

Take a look tomorrow.

Most likely the case.  I sent a note to the moderator to see if this thread can be pulled or original post edited.

Thanks!

Edited by dream2cruise
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dswallow said:

There seems to be a missing line under the headline that at least some other articles have...
image.thumb.png.88af33d73eee1c31eeb7be10e103b085.png

I am convinced that this a website gltich for Marine Link and have asked the moderator to pull this thread.  Lesson learned.  At the end of the day, I really would like to know the status of Enchantment and Baltimore but I will need to be patient.  🙂