Princess Passengers on Dialysis and on Oxygen

CruiseNYC

In case you haven’t already heard, Princess has canceled cruises for all passengers on dialysis and passengers on oxygen through the end of the year.   I asked if passengers with other immunocompromised illnesses were also denied passage and they stated that they are not.
This strikes me as a totally random decision, clearly not well thought out. Does this seem discriminatory to you? 

It may have to do with the capacity of the medical facilities on board. I think they are trying to have beds and supplies open in case they are needed.

It is not so much about whether you are any more likely to catch Covid that someone else; it is about having capability to accommodate emergencies.

• Like 2

My point is they could say the same for older people (of which I am one), who account for more than 80% of Covid deaths. And what about cancer patients, or folks with chronic lung diseases, dementia and diabetes (I have looked around for the most immunocompromised people out there)
so they’re saving sick beds for all these other folks but not people on oxygen or doing peritoneal dialysis?

19 minutes ago, CruiseNYC said:

My point is they could say the same for older people (of which I am one), who account for more than 80% of Covid deaths. And what about cancer patients, or folks with chronic lung diseases, dementia and diabetes (I have looked around for the most immunocompromised people out there)
so they’re saving sick beds for all these other folks but not people on oxygen or doing peritoneal dialysis?

I remember reading the justification for this decision somewhere, but it has been too long ago. The take away I remember was preserving maximum capacity of the limited facilities on board in case of a Covid outbreak. They are holding the space for Covid patients by limiting other passengers who might need the space or supplies. It might even be part of the requirements to return to sailing.

2 hours ago, CruiseNYC said:

You are comparing apples to oranges. You are on active treatments and the other issue like "older person" is not a disease on active treatment. If the ship were quarantined those on active treatments could run out of supplies that are not available in the medical facility. You are buying your peritoneal infusion from an outside medical company who will deliver it to the ship. If you run out you're SOL. If a diabetic runs low on insulin the ship stocks some of that , it's a common drug. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

You are comparing apples to oranges. You are on active treatments and the other issue like "older person" is not a disease on active treatment. If the ship were quarantined those on active treatments could run out of supplies that are not available in the medical facility. You are buying your peritoneal infusion from an outside medical company who will deliver it to the ship. If you run out you're SOL. If a diabetic runs low on insulin the ship stocks some of that , it's a common drug. 

Yes, I think you’ve identified the critical distinction. It was not just about being immunocompromised. It was the nature of ongoing treatment and the needed supplies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Babr said:

I remember reading the justification for this decision somewhere, but it has been too long ago. The take away I remember was preserving maximum capacity of the limited facilities on board in case of a Covid outbreak. They are holding the space for Covid patients by limiting other passengers who might need the space or supplies. It might even be part of the requirements to return to sailing.

People taking O2 bring their own concentrators on board and do not require use of the health facilities.

• Like 1

Supplementary oxygen (including via oxygen concentrator) – To comply with health and safety regulations there is a limit on board for how much Oxygen we can store. Unfortunately as we will be increasing our own supply of Oxygen on board we will be unable to carry additional supplies for individual guests.

Mechanical ventilatory support (except for overnight CPAP for sleep apnoea, guests who only require overnight CPAP for sleep apnoea can travel) – The mechanical ventilators that we hold in the medical centre on board need to be retained for medical centre use, therefore we would not be able to support if the guests equipment fails.

Dialysis – This requirement presents a time critical need for treatment, if we are not able to access replacement dialysis equipment/fluids if needed this brings about a significant risk to the guest.

Princess have been quite clear in their reasons for this decision, not discriminatory, justified and sensible in my opinion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, caribill said:

People taking O2 bring their own concentrators on board and do not require use of the health facilities.

The dialysis is more of an issue although concentrators need maintenance and repair. Read post 11 which gives a great definition on this topic

Edited by cruzsnooze

12 hours ago, trey420 said:

If it's temporary, like just this year it's not that bad.

Well we cruise to Hawaii every Christmas and have a suite booked for almost a year.  I’ve recently been put on oxygen.  We figured with all the cruises we’ve had to cancel, we could afford a suite.  Oh well c’est la vie.  

3 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

Well we cruise to Hawaii every Christmas and have a suite booked for almost a year.  I’ve recently been put on oxygen.  We figured with all the cruises we’ve had to cancel, we could afford a suite.  Oh well c’est la vie.  

Yes that truly sucks. Hopefully next year will be better.  

17 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

14 hours ago, trey420 said:

Yes that truly sucks. Hopefully next year will be better.  

Totally agree with what trey420 said.  

• Like 1

I am the manager for a Home therapy program....the largest in my state.

I do agree with Princess in this instance.

IF by chance the ship became quarantined --and you only had enough cases of dialysate for the week...what in the world would you do?  what if you developed peritonitis, fluid overload, etc, etc.

In a "normal" world getting supplies to you wouldn't be an issue, but in the Covid world, it very likely could.

I understand it is frustrating, it is for me too--just in a different way.