Once a day house keeping???

pokerguy90

57 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I hope it's sooner than later. 

Me too. Wow.  The crew members work very hard.  I can't imagine cutting someone's tips when they are doing the job that Carnival asks them to do.  That person is definitely better off moving on to another line.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 9

On my last cruise on Pride (1/2020) the cabin steward asked what I'd prefer and I told him whatever was easier for him. I just wanted the ice bucket full.  

He cleaned in the mornings and still did turndown in the evening and my ice bucket was always full and fresh all day long.

I'm solo in the cabin and don't care when it's done.  They could even skip a day!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Directors of Housekeeping across the land and their GM's strongly disagree. Have you recently reviewed the housekeeping payroll for a 4-Diamond property versus a 3-Diamond and do you know the difference and why there's a variance? 

Ha! This is a fun memory of my first "real" job interview after hotel school. My interview was peppered with questions like this by the D.O.H.  I got the job but I didn't stay in hotel management because a husband and kids took me on another path in life. I like that Carnival and most of the big cruise companies call the top position in the rooms division on their ships the Hotel Director. It's a good reminder that cruise ships are hotels that take us to fun places. Thanks for the memory, sanmarcos.

Edited by AHS123
  • Like 3

Human nature is truly baffling.

No cruises for  a year and a half and people are  now moaning about how many times their cabin gets serviced.

Last week it was the omission of foods on the menus.

Gotta keep on laughing and hope my future cruises are with the "happy people."

• Like 12

14 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Is this even possible anymore?  I thought you had to leave your key card in the slot in order to have lighting in the room.  I doubt too many stewards would so actively and overtly flout the rules by leaving a card in the slot when you are not there.

That is only on select ships and yes, on those ships, my stewards have always left their cards in the slot for me.

6 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

What? First Class hotels in America before covid provided evening turn down service. FYI, a First Class hotel is rated with the 4 Star Award from Mobile and the American Automobile Association bestows their coveted 4 Diamond Award to First Class hotels. 

What long time Carnival cruisers miss is the First Class cabin service that Carnival extended to all guests for decades. Then when we were given a "menu" for the cabin we were asked to choose morning or evening. ( Those in the know knew they could still request both and the service was provided as requested.)

When Carnival began asking their guests to choose which time of day to have the cabin serviced they unofficially went from providing 4 Star/4Diamond cabin service to a 3 Star/Diamond rating.

For now it is what it is and as former hotel managers in North America we have come to accept this with the hopeful caveat that the service standards we loved and appreciated when choosing Carnival will return to a more "normal" post pandemic style of the cruising experience.

For those like us who have sailed with Carnival for years and those who are new please have a look at the two different uniforms the stewarding staff used to wear. The casual gray top was for day wear (and likely still is) and is a uniform with a relaxed fit that allows ease of movement. The tuxedo style shirt with evening dress vest was designed for the turn down staff to signal to guests that it was evening and the staff were there to refresh the towels, empty the waste baskets, turn down the bed and leave a towel animal friend. 

We agree with all of you who say the dedicated, hard working housekeeping crew deserve the auto-gratuities they receive and, as is often the case, even more cash extended to them personally.

Carn Stew AM.jpg

Carn Stew PM.jpg

I remember that but never made the connection.  Thank you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

We, as cruisers, cannot force the cabin stewards to perform servicing twice a day as we expect but if they don't, they will get paid accordingly for the service they provide (meaning I will cut the steward portion of the gratuities in half to coincide with half the work being done).

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

I would never berate a crew member but I will also not overpay for services not performed. I will just explain why I am lowering the gratuities and leave it at that. Oh, and probably start sailing Royal and MSC more.

Over pay?  That what $7 bucks that gets divided between two room stewards is overpaying?  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Directors of Housekeeping across the land and their GM's strongly disagree. Have you recently reviewed the housekeeping payroll for a 4-Diamond property versus a 3-Diamond and do you know the difference and why there's a variance? 

I think you are replying to someone who doesn't think there is a difference between service at Ponderosa and Ruth Chris Steakhouse.    

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Carnival tips are $13.99 per person per day except suites which is $15.99 per day per person. This paltry 14.00 a day is split several ways …I have included a screen shot off Carnivals website. Stewards split their small share with an assistant, if they have one ! 

323AFF5A-EFE9-4EE0-9D6B-BC0A715748FA.jpeg

Edited by Indiansbaseball
  • Like 1

We ask for minimal service at a time best for the steward and extra towels.  Once a day bed making, trash and towels if needed. We do not require vacuuming and scrubbing of the cabin during our stay. In the past we have had the steward skip a day totally if they were able to leave the ship at a port. Give them an extra few minutes off the ship. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is only on select ships and yes, on those ships, my stewards have always left their cards in the slot for me.

Probably more for their convenience. On my recent Horizon cruise, there were already plastic cards in the slots that remained their the entire cruise. I guess Carnival got tired of fixing broken switches.

When my wife & I started cruising in 1992.  Carnival’s service was as good if not better than we had on our most recent cruise in a full suite on Princess.  This was just 6 months before Covid entered our lives. 
Over the years, a noticeable change in declining service has been taking place over the past 8-10 years. You guys can get so defensive over a thread such as this one. When it’s actually frustrating, how the main stream lines have cut back. From paying for room service, no longer having 3-4 staff for each table in the main DR, 2x per day cabin service.  

What everyone needs to understand is those long time cruisers like myself remembering what was  part of cruising, what truly made it special was the SERVICE.  Common people were able to get pampered, feel like a VIP, feel special. Little by little, year by year, line by line, these little things truly made the experience so alluring, and so affordable to us.  Now those days are over, The product has declined. But we want bigger, better, more options. And we sacrificed our amenities for 55k ton ships, and replaced them with MAMMOTH 100k-225k ton cities at sea.  We made the sacrifices, I for one can’t afford a silver sea, Regent, Crystal cruise. on those lines you get that level of service for $$$$.  Who knows maybe things will return to a more intimate guest experience.  But now on these lines Covid can’t be blamed for this is the impersonal service, cut backs and shareholders want that dividend. and we all lay the price. In closing, i do not miss the formal, formal nights when gowns & tuxedos were expected. I like the less rigid structure of cruising now. On the other hand. having the same waitstaff for all dining rooms meals was better. so it’s all about change. either you embrace it or not. But i’m glad with all we have been through in the past year and a half. These are good problems to argue about. sort of normal bickering again. 

Be well, stay well and LIVE YOUR LIVES….

• Like 4

A few questions about this if someone can help because I really don’t have an opinion yet since I haven’t yet to board a ship in 16 months and never experienced once a day service to see if it would even impact a solo traveler (just me):

1. Can I request the service be done between 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM and do you think the request will be granted?

2. If I tip $10.00 a day extra to the room attendant do you think that would make a difference in getting 1. As a yes or do you think it would make a difference in getting a light refresh of the room in the late afternoon?

3. If I want a mid-day cabin service, say like 12:00 - 1:00 would that be an issue?

Thanks everyone 

1 minute ago, bdever said:

A few questions about this if someone can help because I really don’t have an opinion yet since I haven’t yet to board a ship in 16 months and never experienced once a day service to see if it would even impact a solo traveler (just me):

1. Can I request the service be done between 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM and do you think the request will be granted?

2. If I tip $10.00 a day extra to the room attendant do you think that would make a difference in getting 1. As a yes or do you think it would make a difference in getting a light refresh of the room in the late afternoon?

3. If I want a mid-day cabin service, say like 12:00 - 1:00 would that be an issue?

Thanks everyone 

You can request anything you like. If the steward can accommodate, most will try. If everyone wants service at the same time, some are going to wait. Best to talk with your stewards and be nice to them.

Premature tips are sometimes misinterpreted. Most are happy to do their job and some might actually take tipping in advance as an insult - it can imply you don't think they normally do their job. It really isn't necessary, although tipping more than the minimum for extra service is certainly warranted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bdever said:

Thanks everyone 

We have never requested a specific time, and I think asking may be problematic.  They have so many rooms to clean they kind of do it in a logical order.  So if they are normally cleaning one of a hall way at the time you request, they would have to pack up and move all the way down to your end of the hallway to make it happen.

NOW I will say this, I have found that they always try to do their very best to do whatever is asked of them so it doesn't hurt to ask.

I will also say this, I have seen many references to "tipping" to get what I may want.  These guys will do it because they are hard working and really do want happy customers!  We are their livelihood.  To me this is a bit of insult as it says "I am trying to buy you off."  I would simply ask and then TIP really well at the end of the cruise!  I not only do my automatic tips, but if they have gone above and beyond and provided exceptional service, we will make sure to hand them an envelope with an extra special think you for great service $25-$50

Asking them to do it twice when this is not policy is asking them to break the rules that have been set for them and I don't think that is right to do at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You can request anything you like. If the steward can accommodate, most will try. If everyone wants service at the same time, some are going to wait. Best to talk with your stewards and be nice to them.

Premature tips are sometimes misinterpreted. Most are happy to do their job and some might actually take tipping in advance as an insult - it can imply you don't think they normally do their job. It really isn't necessary, although tipping more than the minimum for extra service is certainly warranted.

BlerkOne OMG you and I were typing almost the same exact thing at the same time lol!!!

• Like 1

Thanks BlerkOne & wemjam 😉

I will not pre tip to avoid insult and I will politely request service of the room in the Morning hours after 10:30 AM with a light late afternoon refresh. If my requests are granted I will tip an additional $70.00 at the end of the cruise as a thank you 😊 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bdever said:

Thanks BlerkOne & wemjam 😉

I will not pre tip to avoid insult and I will politely request service of the room in the Morning hours after 10:30 AM with a light late afternoon refresh. If my requests are granted I will tip an additional $70.00 at the end of the cruise as a thank you 😊 

Just put the Do Not Disturb sign out and deadbolt the door. When you leave remove the sign and let the stewards know you are out of the cabin - in person, not by paging them.

I don't know what you mean by afternoon refresh, but you can exchange towels or get more ice from them during their normal hours. Still best to ask in person and not page.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Just put the Do Not Disturb sign out and deadbolt the door. When you leave remove the sign and let the stewards know you are out of the cabin - in person, not by paging them.

I don't know what you mean by afternoon refresh, but you can exchange towels or get more ice from them during their normal hours. Still best to ask in person and not page.

This will work too.  You can leave your do not disturb out and they will not bother you.  Do keep in mind though at some point during their day shift of cleaning they stop (they are not there All day).  I am not exactly sure what time that is, but if you wait too long to remove the sign as a signal to clean, you may miss them.  If you pull it by 10:30 like you wish though you should be fine. 

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

This will work too.  You can leave your do not disturb out and they will not bother you.  Do keep in mind though at some point during their day shift of cleaning they stop (they are not there All day).  I am not exactly sure what time that is, but if you wait too long to remove the sign as a signal to clean, you may miss them.  If you pull it by 10:30 like you wish though you should be fine. 

I think I will do both. I will politely ask for room service in the morning after 10:30 AM and put the sign if I remember to do so and removing it when leaving.

Refresh means smoothing the bed and empty dust bins.

Thanks again 😃

1 hour ago, Iplayslots said:

When my wife & I started cruising in 1992.  Carnival’s service was as good if not better than we had on our most recent cruise in a full suite on Princess.  This was just 6 months before Covid entered our lives. 
Over the years, a noticeable change in declining service has been taking place over the past 8-10 years. You guys can get so defensive over a thread such as this one. When it’s actually frustrating, how the main stream lines have cut back. From paying for room service, no longer having 3-4 staff for each table in the main DR, 2x per day cabin service.  

What everyone needs to understand is those long time cruisers like myself remembering what was  part of cruising, what truly made it special was the SERVICE.  Common people were able to get pampered, feel like a VIP, feel special. Little by little, year by year, line by line, these little things truly made the experience so alluring, and so affordable to us.  Now those days are over, The product has declined. But we want bigger, better, more options. And we sacrificed our amenities for 55k ton ships, and replaced them with MAMMOTH 100k-225k ton cities at sea.  We made the sacrifices, I for one can’t afford a silver sea, Regent, Crystal cruise. on those lines you get that level of service for $$$$.  Who knows maybe things will return to a more intimate guest experience.  But now on these lines Covid can’t be blamed for this is the impersonal service, cut backs and shareholders want that dividend. and we all lay the price. In closing, i do not miss the formal, formal nights when gowns & tuxedos were expected. I like the less rigid structure of cruising now. On the other hand. having the same waitstaff for all dining rooms meals was better. so it’s all about change. either you embrace it or not. But i’m glad with all we have been through in the past year and a half. These are good problems to argue about. sort of normal bickering again. 

Be well, stay well and LIVE YOUR LIVES….

Mic drop...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I get what you're saying about pre-tipping perhaps being misinterpreted. What we usually do is make a specific request on the first day (Please make sure our ice bucket is filled, an extra pillow, or whatever), and then tip after the request. That sets the stage that we appreciate and reward the extra attention. It doesn't matter TO US if they would have done it anyway, My husband is a compulsive over-tipper anyway, and they need that money much more than we do, and it makes them smile. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I get what you're saying about pre-tipping perhaps being misinterpreted. What we usually do is make a specific request on the first day (Please make sure our ice bucket is filled, an extra pillow, or whatever), and then tip after the request. That sets the stage that we appreciate and reward the extra attention. It doesn't matter TO US if they would have done it anyway, My husband is a compulsive over-tipper anyway, and they need that money much more than we do, and it makes them smile. 

Same.