Once a day house keeping???

pokerguy90

1 minute ago, fyree39 said:

I'm happy to pay those tips, but I really dislike how the lines pile on the work asking more and more of their employees.

Nailed it!  A lot of people want to visit the sins of the father on the child though... and cut the tips they give these hard working guys and gals because their job "got easier"

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

There is no reason to compare cruises with hotels - totally irrelevant.  Otherwise, one might compare cruises to lodging in the woods or house rental without any service.  Also, you wouldn't say "hotel don't offer 3-7 restaurants to choose to eat at, or shows to watch in a theater, or an art auction to participate in, or activities at the pool, or dancing, Zumba,  or palate classes, or drink packages and multi-bar or lounges".  And the list goes on...

You do realized that they have a Director of Hotel Operations or something along those lines on the ship right?  Or Hotel Manager or something like that - someone can chime in with the correct name for the person in charge of that department.

That's kind of like saying if you go stay at an AI that offers shows, and activities at the pool, and 4 restaurants, and all your drinks and dancing and musicians at night in their club - you are not staying at a hotel.

A cruise ship is basically an AI afloat at sea.

• Like 1

Along with veteran employee who were called back to work (and many more waiting), there are many inexperienced new hires that are still gaining experience. Cruise lines can't go from 0 to whatever the new normal will be overnight. And there will be a new normal.

On my recent cruise I learned all of the room service delivery people were new hires. They did a fantastic job but you could tell all were nervous. We even got a follow up call asking if the service was okay. That was impressive.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That's quite a jump there. Who would you even tip with a house rental without any service?

The thread is about service, not tipping.  Hotels are not comparable to cruising in the regard of service.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Because they would clean top to bottom during the day and return in the evening for  straightening up, clean towels, leave chocolates, turn down the beds, create a towel animal and set the lights for evening.  It was always a lovely way to return to your room to see

NOT doing the towel animals is always the first thing I ask when meeting the steward. The second is I would like ice in our room every day by 1700/5PM. We only need the cabin cleaned once a day, I don't care when, but around 1000-1400 if that works. We don't need a turn down service either. If we need an extra towel that day I just ask him/her in the hall. Rarely has that been an issue on any cruise on any line.....but once or twice we have gotten a sub-par steward. That usually means I had to get my own ice! Horrors! 😉

Doug.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

The thread is about service, not tipping.  Hotels are not comparable to cruising in the regard of service.

I wasn't the one that first mentioned hotels. or planes trains etc.

Your stateroom is still serviced daily. Gratuities are daily, not per service.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, bdever said:

A few questions about this if someone can help because I really don’t have an opinion yet since I haven’t yet to board a ship in 16 months and never experienced once a day service to see if it would even impact a solo traveler (just me):

1. Can I request the service be done between 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM and do you think the request will be granted?

2. If I tip $10.00 a day extra to the room attendant do you think that would make a difference in getting 1. As a yes or do you think it would make a difference in getting a light refresh of the room in the late afternoon?

3. If I want a mid-day cabin service, say like 12:00 - 1:00 would that be an issue?

Thanks everyone 

For $10 a day I'LL clean your cabin!😉 But yes, I do think $10 a day would get your cabin cleaned when you want, assuming that is not during his/her "time off".  But I also think $10 a day is a bit excessive.....but then I am of Scottish descent.........

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Does anyone remember what the stewards "standard" hours are? 

I don't know exact, but I remember seeing them in the hallways in the like 8-12 and 5-9 ranges.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

For $10 a day I'LL clean your cabin!😉 But yes, I do think $10 a day would get your cabin cleaned when you want, assuming that is not during his/her "time off".  But I also think $10 a day is a bit excessive.....but then I am of Scottish descent.........

Doug

Thanks Doug, I’m also Scottish descent and when I posted I thought 2 things

1. I probably will get offers from fellow passengers for the $10 per day room refresh 

2. My ancestors are rolling in their graves like ***** is this one thinking?!?!? She’d be lucky to be on a paddle boat cruise to Catalina Island let alone have a first class ticket in Havana with housekeeping once a day. 

probably I’m being smacked up the side of my head by a few ancestral ghosts. Appreciate your feedback. First one in my family to cruise tbh so I better just humble myself. LOL - not a huge deal. Thanks for keeping it real. 

Edited by bdever
Spellcheck

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Thanks Doug, I’m also Scottish descent and when I posted I thought 2 things

1. I probably will get offers from fellow passengers for the $10 per day room refresh 

2. My ancestors are rolling in their graves like ***** is this one thinking?!?!? She’d be lucky to be on a paddle boat cruise to Catalina Island let alone have a first class ticket in Havana with housekeeping once a day. 

probably I’m being smacked up the side of my head by a few ancestral ghosts. Appreciate your feedback. First one in my family to cruise tbh so I better just humble myself. LOL - not a huge deal. Thanks for keeping it real. 

Ha, we both seem to have a good sense of humor.....might it be a Scottish thing?😉

Doug

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kirtihk said:

There is no reason to compare cruises with hotels - totally irrelevant.  Otherwise, one might compare cruises to lodging in the woods or house rental without any service.  Also, you wouldn't say "hotel don't offer 3-7 restaurants to choose to eat at, or shows to watch in a theater, or an art auction to participate in, or activities at the pool, or dancing, Zumba,  or palate classes, or drink packages in multi-bar or lounges".  And the list goes on...

Why do you suppose Carnival and all the major cruise lines designate their head of the rooms division the Hotel Director? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

NOT doing the towel animals is always the first thing I ask when meeting the steward. The second is I would like ice in our room every day by 1700/5PM. We only need the cabin cleaned once a day, I don't care when, but around 1000-1400 if that works. We don't need a turn down service either. If we need an extra towel that day I just ask him/her in the hall. Rarely has that been an issue on any cruise on any line.....but once or twice we have gotten a sub-par steward. That usually means I had to get my own ice! Horrors! 😉

Doug.

Interesting since ice is not accessible by guests

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, BlerkOne said:

Yep. People who complain about cruise line cabin service obviously haven't stayed in an average US hotel lately. 

The hotels also seem to require masks regardless of vaccination status.

13 hours ago, kirtihk said:

There is no reason to compare cruises with hotels - totally irrelevant.  Otherwise, one might compare cruises to lodging in the woods or house rental without any service.  Also, you wouldn't say "hotel don't offer 3-7 restaurants to choose to eat at, or shows to watch in a theater, or an art auction to participate in, or activities at the pool, or dancing, Zumba,  or palate classes, or drink packages in multi-bar or lounges".  And the list goes on...

Why shouldn’t Blerk be comparing cruises to hotels? Both operate within the hospitality industry as different sectors of lodging accommodations. Operationally, both are quite similar when the logistics are considered. Resorts, including non-resort hotels, can provide many of the above activities you suggested above. Many properties have several different F&B outlets, live entertainment, Zumba, drink packages/club level. I even have fond memories of your example including art auctions while visiting the Catskills frequently years ago.

As you stated, the list goes on. It’s important to remember that the shipboard executive committee position is generally referred to as Hotel Director traditionally and recently referred to as Hotel General Manager on some lines. 

Oh, and yes, I agree with Blerk. Those complaining about cabin service aren’t familiar with the current industry practices with hotels when it comes to stayover service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug.

oh no, had to get your own ice .  lol

5 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

oh no, had to get your own ice .  lol

Yes, it was AWFUL! 😨

Luckily the steward who serviced the cabins next to our saw me trying to find ice and offered to get it for me. He did that a couple times that week. Nice guy. He was rewarded at the end of the cruise with a hearty handshake and a "few dollars".😎

Doug

On 7/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, amypintx said:

Same for us. I don't understand the uproar over the once a day thing. Most hotels have only ever cleaned once a day. 

I get so tired of that response from people. I have been cruising for seventeen years and up until the pandemic I have always received twice daily room cleaning service. It has been that way I'm quite sure since cruises started so that is the norm as is hotels have never had a policy to clean rooms twice a day so you and others are comparing apples to oranges. I believe that if you don't want twice daily service just inform your steward and don't worry your pretty little heads about us old school cruisers that still quite enjoy the service. And by the way the stewards are overworked because all the cruiselines have cut staff in all areas of service just as pretty much every business in this country and many many many others

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ctkathchick said:

that is the norm as is hotels have never had a policy to clean rooms twice a day so you and others are comparing apples to oranges. 

Depends on the brands you stay at. It’s the norm for twice a day full service or single service with a secondary turndown service whenever I stay at some of my preferred brands like St. Regis.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:45 AM, kirtihk said:

LOL....that is weak.  Of course you can compare it to a hotel.  You apparently only see a cruise ship, the people who work on a cruise ship see a hotel, bars, restaurants, entertainment, ect.  They are all their own entities same as if it was on the same block on land.  That is the reason housekeeping reports to the Hotel Director, they are titled that for a reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

I usually always tell the steward one a day. I just don't like overworking others. Plus I don't really trash my room much half my items stay in luggage 😂

What does that mean? Do you go to a restaurant order then bus your own table?  It’s their job!!! This is why we tip. Its a service job.

• Like 3

Good luck getting twice a day full service.  The pandemic has changed cruising.  If you cruise with the expectation that everything will be the same as pre-pandemic, you will be surprised and likely disappointed at some things.  There was no priority boarding for Diamond or Platinum, but we could check in a few days early to get our preferred times. Cabins were not ready at boarding for Platinum. To get your Platinum gifts, you had to visit Pixels.  We didn’t bother getting our water or sweet treat.  The Fun Times have been condensed to a single, one-sided page that you had to pick up at guest services. It was not comprehensive, as music as movies were omitted. Your Time Dining required reservations.  If you didn’t check in on the app, they would do it for you when you showed up.  In the D.R., you had to don a mask to leave the ship. There was no Hairy Chest or bellyflop contest. So, for us old schoolers, there are plenty of changes. Despite all of this, our recent Horizon was one of our best.  We went in knowing there would be lots of changes, and sure enough, there were.  

• Like 3