Captain Kate - Will she be on the Sept.4, 2021 Sailing?

Ramjet1997

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

WOW…I’m at a loss about some of these replies.

LOL--- I hear ya--- 

Hey, as a member of CC in "Good Standing " ( ???? ) and part of the 5,00,000  Club, haven't ya caught on to some of the " less than smart " contributors by now ?? 

( Here comes the " Who are you to judge other contributors "  posts ) .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Met Captain Kate on my recent cruise.  Told my TA that Celebrity should throw wads of cash at her, offer her corporate equity, name a deck on the EDGE after her.  Do whatever they need to do, but she’s a great asset to the cruise industry, and specifically to Celebrity.  She’s smart.  She’s obviously talented in PR.  Fer cryin’ out loud she’s commanding 1,000 + crew, making certain thousands of guests are happy, making money for her employer, on a ship that’s one of the largest in the world, sailing to other countries every week, keeping her demeanor the whole time, spending a lot of time away from her family, etc, etc, etc.  I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around anyone who has issues with her because of her gender or the way she looks.

I concur…some should not sail on ship’s she’s Captaining, given you feel that threatened by that fact.

Geesh!

She has to work even harder to fight these stereotypes and opinions like the ones that show up here, because of her gender, just to be seen as equal. It is exhausting at times, I am sure.  Hats off to her. I know Celebrity isn't complaining, she's a social media wizardess and the promotion she has given to cruising, and the edge, with her feed (and her cat's!) ❤️ is priceless for the cruise line.  You go, woman. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lunesse said:

She has to work even harder to fight these stereotypes and opinions like the ones that show up here, because of her gender, just to be seen as equal. It is exhausting at times, I am sure.  Hats off to her. I know Celebrity isn't complaining, she's a social media wizardess and the promotion she has given to cruising, and the edge, with her feed (and her cat's!) ❤️ is priceless for the cruise line.  You go, woman. 

I rather think it´s a stereotype to count every bit of criticism as gender related!

I HIGHLY admire Captain Kate for her professional skills. Due to a very traditional environment in this field she probably had to work twice as hard - granted! I also think she´s very personable and nice - no doubt. I also admired the female captains before her and we have sailed with some before. I hope there will be more!

Personally I just think that any captain, no matter if male or female, doesn´t need to be a social media star and although I love animals I don´t need the hype around a cat. My personal opinion is that this has nothing to do with "modern luxury" and is more of simple entertainment - with the emphasis on simple. Sure, she´s fulfilling a role catering to an audience. Can´t blame her... but wonder about the audience. That´s my reservation on the Captain Kate topic. Anyone who has a different opinion - by all means do. But don´t count every other opinion as gender related when it´s not. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Met Captain Kate on my recent cruise.  Told my TA that Celebrity should throw wads of cash at her, offer her corporate equity, name a deck on the EDGE after her.  Do whatever they need to do, but she’s a great asset to the cruise industry, and specifically to Celebrity.  She’s smart.  She’s obviously talented in PR.  Fer cryin’ out loud she’s commanding 1,000 + crew, making certain thousands of guests are happy, making money for her employer, on a ship that’s one of the largest in the world, sailing to other countries every week, keeping her demeanor the whole time, spending a lot of time away from her family, etc, etc, etc.  I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around anyone who has issues with her because of her gender or the way she looks.

I concur…some should not sail on ship’s she’s Captaining, given you feel that threatened by that fact.

Geesh!

Graphicguy, I reread this whole thread.  I cannot see any posts here that are negative about Captain Kate or say they are threatened by her being Captain or being a woman in a key role or her appearance.    So What are you referring to?  I am confused.

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

^^^^^^^^

See post #8 and #10.

So... #8 just says that Sussex cruiser is glad Captain Kate won´t be on board. However, there´s not even the slightest comment which could be gender related.

Even I have to say I´d probably prefer a cruise with a different captain - simply because of all the hype. NOT because of the gender. I could never understand the focus on a captain. It´s just not our reason to cruise.

#10 seems to be an ironic interpretation of #8 not a statement - so also nothing negative about Captain Kate.

Sorry, but your answer is the perfect example. 
The whole Captain Kate thing has become some sort of holy grail. All one needs to do is not to care about the captain, or even worse not to care about her or about the associated social media and cat focus. Doesn´t take long for him or her to be attacked or to be categorized as sexist. It´s all a bit over the top...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

So... #8 just says that Sussex cruiser is glad Captain Kate won´t be on board. However, there´s not even the slightest comment which could be gender related.

Even I have to say I´d probably prefer a cruise with a different captain - simply because of all the hype. NOT because of the gender. I could never understand the focus on a captain. It´s just not our reason to cruise.

#10 seems to be an ironic interpretation of #8 not a statement - so also nothing negative about Captain Kate.

I am the person who posted #10. Here's the original post by Sussex Cruiser, which i referenced. So my post WAS  a statement, not an ironic interpretation. I  have no problem with people who don't like Ms. Lutoff-perlo or Captain Kate. But dont deny there are people who don't like them mostly because they are women. Sussex shows it right there.

Screenshot_20210727-111304_kindlephoto-1129487605.png

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I could never understand the focus on a captain. It´s just not our reason to cruise.

I could never understand the focus of the 1600 pages plus  of the " Who's On Board " thread .

They are Staff members who are there to do their job and provide excellent service that " Customers " pay for to ensure the " Customer's " future loyalty to the Cruise Company.

Yes, it's nice to re-connect when we recognize a Staff member from a previous cruise , but , we would never plan a cruise based on whether so and so will be on board. 

Where will the best rest room attendant be, at my favorite pit stop on Edge during my sailing? Will the highly regarded stateroom attendant be the one making up my room? Are the waiter/sommelier who know exactly what I want at my table going to be there when I am? Certainly more important to me, personally, than who the captain will be. We could go on.

Discussions and decisions based on who the captain is, absolutely ridiculous. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

During a cruise, does she ever wave her arms to part the seas? At the very least she must feed the entire crew and passengers with a couple of loaves of bread and a couple of fish.

Misogyny at its finest, even in 2021.