LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

9 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

We disembarked and checked into the Crown Plaza.  They let us check in early.  On the way to the space needle we were accosted by a mentally ill homeless person who reached in my pocket and stole my iphone.  I fell in the process.  Thankfully sore and bruised but nothing broken.  Called Seattle PD and we got in the back of a cruiser and directed them to the location of my phone using find my phone.  They caught him.  We got my phone back.  They seemed surprised that we could accurately describe him and as they walked up we made the phone make a noise.

We still did the Chihuly and the space needle but I am in the hotel at 3:30 icing my knee and done for this trip.  Thankful nothing worse happened.

Wow.  Glad you are ok.  And good for you on getting your phone back.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, woodworker&knitter said:

Those sugar dispensers were on our 2019 cruise . I’m really surprised they haven’t been replaced yet. They really are useless 

Yeah, they were on my September 2019 cruise.  Particularly awful for raw sugar, which is sort of "sticky" anyway.  So I brought my own raw sugar in packets for my October 2019 cruise and will continue to do so in the future.

• Like 1

So sorry about your incident in Seattle. We live south of the city and rarely go in because of the homeless camps and issues of people being accosted on the streets. We hope our leaders will find solutions. Hope you are safe during the remainder of your time in this "beautiful" city.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

We disembarked and checked into the Crown Plaza.  They let us check in early.  On the way to the space needle we were accosted by a mentally ill homeless person who reached in my pocket and stole my iphone.  I fell in the process.  Thankfully sore and bruised but nothing broken.  Called Seattle PD and we got in the back of a cruiser and directed them to the location of my phone using find my phone.  They caught him.  We got my phone back.  They seemed surprised that we could accurately describe him and as they walked up we made the phone make a noise.

We still did the Chihuly and the space needle but I am in the hotel at 3:30 icing my knee and done for this trip.  Thankful nothing worse happened.

What a shame this happened after a lovely cruise.   You are lucky you were not more seriously injured.  Glad you got to see Chihuly -we loved it.  

Thankful you were observant and contacted police & recovered your phone.  Rest up.  Hope the ice helps.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

So grateful you had you app locator on, the SPD responded promptly and the "valuables" in your phone are secure. Wishing you healthy recovery for your injuries....

Oh my gosh, so glad you are okay, downtown Seattle is not safe, I got screamed at by some wild eyed transient the last time I picked DD up at the train station, outside of that and cruising I never go down there, and this was a city I once lived and worked for 20+ years, no more!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow.  Glad you are ok.  And good for you on getting your phone back.

What great features on that phone, perhaps I should rethink using my business phone which is an Apple, but it's mostly a paperweight because it's unfamiliar to me.

2 hours ago, highscar said:

One final bill on navigator says not available because someone else paid it. excuse me.  I am the only person to pay the bill. 

I seriously hope that person is on our sailing and chooses to pay our final bill!

I recall one cruise where I went to check on a charge and was told I couldn't see the bill because it was in my husband's name.  I responded . . . and yet it's my credit card that is registered, perhaps I should just have you take it off the file, and you can see if he has his credit card with him on this trip.   They acquiesced and let me see the bill.    As I recall, that was about 20 minutes before our late dinner, and I was in the "hangry" phase.  LOL

@ksmaxey what a terrible way to end a nice vacation for you - I'm so glad you weren't injured more, and that you were also able to retrieve your phone.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

SO SORRY!!!  I live in Snohomish County (immediately north of King County, location of Seattle) and maybe go down there once a year now, perhaps not that often.  And when I have to go, I do not walk the streets of downtown. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have never been to a hotel that didn’t have a final statement slipped under the door at heaven knows what time early in the morning and is waiting for me when I do my express check out. 

Exactly, usually I'm at a Hyatt or a Hilton/Westin if I'm somewhere Hyatt-less and the choice is always mine, I always pick paper if I've used room service or the minibar.

9 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

SO SORRY!!!  I live in Snohomish County (immediately north of King County, location of Seattle) and maybe go down there once a year now, perhaps not that often.  And when I have to go, I do not walk the streets of downtown. 

That was a good video, and so relevant even BC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, atexsix said:

What great features on that phone, perhaps I should rethink using my business phone which is an Apple, but it's mostly a paperweight because it's unfamiliar to me.

If it’s an Apple unless it’s very old, you should have the “find my phone” on it.  You need the GPS on for it.  

It’s on my Ipad.  I don’t like being followed so only activate it when I am travelling 😉 

• Like 2

@ksmaxey

Thank you for sharing what happened. Although I had “find my phone” activated it needed something changed & I had to call Apple and it’s all corrected plus they explained how to use an iPad or husbands phone if needed to find it.  Learn something new everyday.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Oh my gosh, so glad you are okay, downtown Seattle is not safe, I got screamed at by some wild eyed transient the last time I picked DD up at the train station, outside of that and cruising I never go down there, and this was a city I once lived and worked for 20+ years, no more!

I live south of Seattle and don’t go downtown unless it’s a necessity. I have been accosted by very aggressive homeless people too many times. 

• Like 1

Don't get me started on what Seattle has become.  I was born there, my father was born there, my grandmother was born there in 1867.  The kind of help our "leaders" have given is to defund the police and not prosecute the criminals.  Just this week an employee at the County Court House was attacked in the ladies restroom there by a person who was just released a couple of days before after serving 21 months in prison for attacking four other women.  I am no longer proud of being from Seattle.  Rant over. 

Concerning being familiar with cell phones or iPhones:  In December, 2019 we were offered some excellent smart phone classes on the Westerdam.  I attended them and learned a lot, particularly how great my iPhone is as a camera.  I certainly hope that HAL considers having classes like that again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisin'teach said:

So sorry about your incident in Seattle. We live south of the city and rarely go in because of the homeless camps and issues of people being accosted on the streets. We hope our leaders will find solutions. Hope you are safe during the remainder of your time in this "beautiful" city.

I am staying at a hotel on Howell street. I think it is Hyatt.  How safe is that area during day?

13 minutes ago, mckgreg said:

I live south of Seattle and don’t go downtown unless it’s a necessity. I have been accosted by very aggressive homeless people too many times. 

I will ask you the same. How safe is Howell street at the Hyatt.

Also are cabs safe to and from airport?

I mean should all the cruise lines worry about sailing from Seattle now?

Comment  is not directed to any particular individual

My husband and I ( seniors) have been to Seattle 3 times recently ( 2 yrs ) stayed only 2 blocks from Market, walked everywhere during the day. loved the city . Took Cab at night or went to nearby wonderful restaurants. Please don’t frighten people or give Seattle a bad reputation. 
No matter where you go there may be danger. Pay attention, situational awareness should be first and foremost. 
* I am not from Seattle, I’m from Arizona and East Coast. 

Edited by Calicokat
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I will ask you the same. How safe is Howell street at the Hyatt.

Also are cabs safe to and from airport?

I mean should all the cruise lines worry about sailing from Seattle now?

No, the cruise lines shouldn't worry here anymore than they would in Boston or New York.  The area around the Hyatt is fine, I stayed there last month (staycation).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

Awesome job by the coppers in blue at Seattle PD! Sorry, you had to experience what is turning into a major problem across the U.S. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Awesome job by the coppers in blue at Seattle PD! Sorry, you had to experience what is turning into a major problem across the U.S. 

Yes it was! Especially since response times are awful lately (not their fault at all).  

• Like 1

Before 2021 the MDR waiters have been from Indonesia and bartenders/waiters/wine stewards have been from the Philippines. (occasionally from Thailand).  I have met a couple of Canaletto waitresses from Thailand also.

If the MDR waiters are Filipino then this is a new policy.  

~Nancy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We do not go to our Alaskan cruise until next June but we have an Aft room and wondered if you had any pictures to share of the room. What did you think about being in the aft room. Too far away from things?  I worry because my 80 year old mother will be with me.  Hows the motion and noise in the aft?  We are on the 8th floor.

5 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

I am so glad you are ok, and got your phone back. hopefully you knee is feeling better tomorrow.

• Like 4