LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

6 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I note that only 820 crew were listed on your form.

Normal ship compliment for crew should be close to 100 more than that.

David

Yea, but they (Nieuw A) is/are also sailing at "only" a little better than 65% pax capacity

• Like 2

Lisa, please let me also add my thanks for taking us all along on your pioneering cruise on the N/A. I have LOVED reading your journal with all the good, the bad and the ugly on this ‘maiden’ trip after the great pause. It was especially enlightening for me since we will also be doing a ‘maiden’ trip in Europe on board the N/A’s sister ship, the Eurodam over 2 weeks when we sail out of Piraeus on August 15th. I actually write a ‘blog’ about our travels which has of course been down since we haven’t been anywhere for a long time now.

For now I wish you and Tom safe travels tomorrow and who knows, we may very well meet up on a ‘Dam’ ship somewhere in the world, I hope so.

(I hope you don’t mind, but I have sent you a friend request over on fb - Avril …… - avatar is the Scottish flag.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am sure I will still be adding more as I think of it but I do not remember the Elemis Lotion being in the dispensers only hand soap at the sink and the shampoo, conditioner and body soap in the shower. My last cruise on the Eurodam we still had the small plastic bottles with the hand cream to bring home. So sadly no more toiletries to bring home. I guess this goes sling with the no plastic bottles.

Oh and that reminds me, I may have to go with the bottled water or just plain ship sink water. With each new can of water I opened the taste became more tinny tasting. I still have an unopened can in the fridge I will leave because it tastes that bad. The tsp water on the ship is actually not that bad, it just needs to be cold to drink it.

48AE76B8-5A18-4463-A03A-6615D5B0790A.jpeg

So, there is no longer a bar of soap at the bathroom sink, only liquid?

Edited by PSR

17 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No have not seen the Let Us Know cards like in the past. Our server in the MD did remind us of the on line survey last night and asked to remember his name.

Thank you for your reply.

Again, many thanks for reporting here during your cruise.

Travel safely home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laminator said:

The Navigator App shows a daily news icon in the connect section. I believe that works off the ships intranet and is free. 

That’s what I meant when I said DH will have to read on electronics whether he likes it or not 😉. He liked to read the paper version 😉 

11 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Do all that sail on HAL get one of these tiles at the end of the cruise?  I was hoping someone would post a pic.  I didn't know what they were.  It reminds me when we flew on KLM and they gave us one of their ceramic dutch houses filled with gin.  

Everyone who sails HAL automatically becomes a “Star Mariner” for their next cruise (it used to be an opt-in invitation to join the Mariner Society but now it’s automatic).On every cruise thereafter you get the tile, sometimes handed out at the Mariner brunch/lunch or sometimes placed in the room.

Some people have done creative projects with these tiles. I keep threatening to make a little patio tabletop but doubt that will happen.

The Mariner lunches over the years evolved into rather rushed, mass events for 1* to 5*  Mariners, a LOT of people, often with two seatings and a short announcement or two. The medallion presentation events are based on number of days sailed and are small events with the Captain prior to the Mariner Lunch.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for taking your time to share your adventures with the rest of us! It’s been much appreciated. I looked forward to reading each day and it was so nice to read about how things went on HAL’s re-start! Hope you have a pleasant journey home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PSR said:

So, there is no longer a bar of soap at the bathroom sink, only liquid?

No bar - just liquid.  It is so much cleaner and nicer.  This is our first with dispenser at the sink

• Like 7

7 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am sure I will still be adding more as I think of it but I do not remember the Elemis Lotion being in the dispensers only hand soap at the sink and the shampoo, conditioner and body soap in the shower. My last cruise on the Eurodam we still had the small plastic bottles with the hand cream to bring home. So sadly no more toiletries to bring home. I guess this goes sling with the no plastic bottles.

Oh and that reminds me, I may have to go with the bottled water or just plain ship sink water. With each new can of water I opened the taste became more tinny tasting. I still have an unopened can in the fridge I will leave because it tastes that bad. The tsp water on the ship is actually not that bad, it just needs to be cold to drink it.

48AE76B8-5A18-4463-A03A-6615D5B0790A.jpeg

wait... is this liquid hand soap by the sink????? All my hopes and dreams are coming true! I loathe bar soap!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lisa - thanks SO MUCH for your postings.  It has been great reading them all.

A couple of quick comments - first, I am so happy that the Pinnacle has upped the quality of the food (especially the beef).  After all, thats what we are paying extra for.

Second, on our 2019 cruise bar soap was also eliminated, but the room steward would get you one if you asked.