Silly Little Questions about Celebrity

CruiseMelissa

Semi-seasoned cruiser, first time on Celebrity. Sailing Millennium on August 6 and was hoping to get a few little questions answered...

1.  Is there a sail away party?  If so are there any "standard" songs they play?  We love to put together a playlist to get us ready to cruise and all of our Caribbean and RCL sail away party tunes aren't going to cut it.

2. I thought I read this somewhere but can't seem to find it.  From what I understand you're allowed to stop by your stateroom at any point after boarding and pick up your room key. Does this mean you can also leave something like a carry-on roller suitcase there, even if it's out in the hallway?  

3.  Best place to get your room key hole-punched to go on a lanyard?  

Thanks so much! 

You can stop at Guest relations and they will punch your card.

You can stop at your stateroom as soon as you get on.   Pick up your keys that are right outside the door.   Leave any bags you have in the room,  put things in the safe if you want to.   Then you have to leave until the rooms are ready.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, micheleata said:

You can stop at Guest relations and they will punch your card.

You can stop at your stateroom as soon as you get on.   Pick up your keys that are right outside the door.   Leave any bags you have in the room,  put things in the safe if you want to.   Then you have to leave until the rooms are ready.   

This is SUCH a HUGE thing—no more Schleping our bags around

• Like 5

They have the party band usually playing at the pool.   Usually upbeat tropical songs.    Many gather at the rails for the sail away.   Mast Bar is also a frequent CC member meeting point.

I may be incorrect with new protocols but my experience with going to the room was only permitted on ships that have gone through Revolution and have the new RF Key system.   Millennium has been updated so you should be fine.  You can leave anything you wish in your room.   I usually also put my valuables in the safe.   I believe they still ask you to just drop off and not stay in room until housekeeping is finished and an announcement is made.

Millennium was the first ship I ever sailed in 2000.   Still have a soft place in my heart for her.

• Like 3

OP, you may want to join the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise, because roll call members often arrange to meet at a specific location - such as the Sunset Bar - for sail away. We’ve met many congenial people (and formed a few enduring friendships) via the roll calls.

@Jim_Iain I feel the same about Millennium. She was our first ship too (2006). We were meant to sail aboard her on a b2b Japan/TP in April of this year. Someday…

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Thanks so much everyone, that is great news about the bags.  If your room hasn't been cleaned yet they just work around them?  Amazing.

It was my understanding. As your room attendant may not be done with your cabin. Your cabin door will remain open as the attendant may be going in and out of your cabin.

3 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Thanks so much everyone, that is great news about the bags.  If your room hasn't been cleaned yet they just work around them?  Amazing.

Your door to your room may be propped open.  I suggest taking valuables with you or putting them in the safe as a precaution.  But that is me.

The sailaway parties are not like those on Royal Caribbean or the Fun Ships.  You may want to join the Roll Call and meet up with fellow cruises at one of the bars.  

Have fun!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

.... I thought I read this somewhere but can't seem to find it.  From what I understand you're allowed to stop by your stateroom at any point after boarding and pick up your room key. Does this mean you can also leave something like a carry-on roller suitcase there, even if it's out in the hallway? ...

Hello, @CruiseMelissa.

We recommend that you put your luggage in the closet, if it will fit -- so that it will not be in the steward's way, in case vaccuuming still needs to be done.  Another option may be to slip the luggage under the bed (or beds) if it/they have been fully made already.

We suggest that you and take valuables with you, unless you can quickly put them in the safe.

Best wishes for safe and happy cruises!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, want2retire said:

First time Celebrity cruiser.  Two questions: Are there hair dryers in all staterooms?  Also, I can't seem to find where to select the bed set up for the cabin, twin or pushed together for double.  Thanks for the help.

Yes, there are hair dryers in staterooms.  

When you arrive, you can tell your stateroom attendant how you would like the beds arranged.  Also, it is easy to place your luggage under the bed.  We did not know that and when we came back from dinner, we could not find the luggage.  We looked all around.  Discovered under the bed....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, want2retire said:

First time Celebrity cruiser.  Two questions: Are there hair dryers in all staterooms?  Also, I can't seem to find where to select the bed set up for the cabin, twin or pushed together for double.  Thanks for the help.

You can check and select your bed arrangement in the Manage your Reservation link, I believe.

Edited by mayleeman

The Millennium was the first revolutionized ship in 2019,  so you can definitely pick up your keys at your room.

Even if I arrange for our beds to be apart before we arrive, they are usually not.    Just tell them when you arrive and they will fix it for you.   This is when I ask them to empty the mini bar also, and ask for more hangers. 

11 hours ago, want2retire said:

If you do not make a request for separate twin beds, the "default" arrangement is "together."

8 hours ago, mayleeman said:

You can check and select your bed arrangement in the Manage your Reservation link, I believe.

If you wish to request twins (as we do), but you cannot find a place to do this online, it can definitely be done over the phone -- by you or through a travel agent, if you use one.

7 hours ago, micheleata said:

... Even if I arrange for our beds to be apart before we arrive, they are usually not.    Just tell them when you arrive and they will fix it for you.   This is when I ask them to empty the mini bar also, and ask for more hangers. 

Unfortunately, "micheleata," what you said about the beds has been true in at least 75% of our cruises.  Sometimes the message does not get from "X" to the ship ... but sometimes the steward "overlooks" the request to separate [accidentally or on purpose?] and leaves the beds together from the previous cruise.  (It was "spooky" to read how much we think alike -- regarding the beds, the mini-bar, and the hangers!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, want2retire said:

To expand on my prior post:  "Manage your booking" is in the Customer Support link at the very bottom of the main Celebrity page.

You may have to sign in and enter your reservation number.  From there you will be on a page showing your booking. Look for "Manage your vacation" and it shows your bed configuration. If you want to change it, select "Edit" and you get this:

Screenshot_20210724-235348_Chrome.jpg

Edited by mayleeman

To further expand on the instructions about setting your bed preference it sometimes doesn't "take" when you do it on the website.  I tried to set it for a few times on one booked cruise.  Eventually, I had to call X for another reason, and the rep went ahead and set it.  It took that time.

Other cruises have had no issue.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 3:54 AM, jg51 said:

If you do not make a request for separate twin beds, the "default" arrangement is "together."

If you wish to request twins (as we do), but you cannot find a place to do this online, it can definitely be done over the phone -- by you or through a travel agent, if you use one.

Unfortunately, "micheleata," what you said about the beds has been true in at least 75% of our cruises.  Sometimes the message does not get from "X" to the ship ... but sometimes the steward "overlooks" the request to separate [accidentally or on purpose?] and leaves the beds together from the previous cruise.  (It was "spooky" to read how much we think alike -- regarding the beds, the mini-bar, and the hangers!)

Good tips would add 1 other. When the steward does the nightly turn down ask for a large bucket of ice. As you go to bed take the lid off the ice it helps keep the air moist - works really well.

OK, one more. Steward works to a very precise "formular" and get into trouble if they deviate. If you like something different for example we hate the way the sheets are tucked in so tight you can't move, we not only request the steward to leave the sheets loose but we offer to write it down so they don't get in trouble. This particularly helps new Stewards and has been much appreciated.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, the penguins said:

When the steward does the nightly turn down ask for a large bucket of ice. As you go to bed take the lid off the ice it helps keep the air moist - works really well.

I don't mean to be fussy (which means I'm about to be fussy 😉), but you could put some water in your ice bucket at night for the same effect and not trouble your steward.  Of course, that's if you don't like that iced water in the morning, which you might.  In that case, go nuts! 🙂

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I don't mean to be fussy (which means I'm about to be fussy 😉), but you could put some water in your ice bucket at night for the same effect and not trouble your steward.  Of course, that's if you don't like that iced water in the morning, which you might.  In that case, go nuts! 🙂

From one Texan to another (ok we are English but our grandson is a born and bred Texan living in Dallas that makes us honorary Texans) It's the ice melting that helps to dampen the air

• Like 1

It's the water evaporating that adds humidity to the air.  Starting as ice and having it go from solid to liquid phase before going to gas phase just slows the process down.

In fact, though it is minor, the moisture that condenses on the outside of the extra cold bucket serves to remove a very small amount of humidity from the air - though it too will eventually evaporate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

It's the water evaporating that adds humidity to the air.  Starting as ice and having it go from solid to liquid phase before going to gas phase just slows the process down.

In fact, though it is minor, the moisture that condenses on the outside of the extra cold bucket serves to remove a very small amount of humidity from the air - though it too will eventually evaporate.

Thanks - all I know is that "the boss" says it works and if she happy then that's good enough for me. Geoff

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

From one Texan to another (ok we are English but our grandson is a born and bred Texan living in Dallas that makes us honorary Texans)

I concur!

48 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was going to say precisely that.

34 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Thanks - all I know is that "the boss" says it works and if she happy then that's good enough for me. Geoff

But this is far more important!  Cheers!