U.S. appeals court lifts CDC cruise ship restrictions in win for Florida

bluesman0711

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

So feckless suggestions that the lines are free to ignore? Basically, police themselves ultimately? To what end? No matter what or is there a situation that you could fathom that may be too much for them to handle or in our national security interests to have some federal oversight or ultimate control to halt sailing?  

Is there any proof they would ignore?  Of course the cdc should do their job and assist the cruise lines.  The way it is suppose to work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SDN said:

It may be because a lot of business needs air travel and a cruise isn't essential. Planes have HEPA filters and aggressive air handling. Last year, I flew double masked and with eye protection. There were studies done that showed planes were safe for short periods. I believe a ship 3 days out to sea would be a lot more of a risk but I could be wrong about that.

The difference is that they will require a negative COVID test for unvaccinated passengers who want to cruise.  A covid positive person can wander all over the airport, board the plane, sit within inches of another person, remove their mask to eat a snack and drink, and it's no problem with the CDC.  Yet cruise ships could not sail for over a year.  I would much rather be next to a tested unvaccinated person on a cruise ship than sit next to untested people on an airplane for hours.   It's obvious the untested person sitting inches away for several hours is a higher risk for spread.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The lawsuit continues to be irrelevant.

Cruise Lines International Association, a trade group, did not indicate on Friday whether it supported Florida'a legal challenge, but said before the appeals court order that cruise ships will continue to operate in accordance with the CDC requirements.

Not irrelevant to those principled people who believe the CDC and the government stepped in it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The air on planes is exchanged every 2-3 minutes and masks are required for all. It is not at all obvious that it is high risk.

That's assuming masks work.  Not saying they do or don't, but if you knew the person sitting on the same row as you had covid, would you want to sit by them for two hours even with a mask on?  Sorry, but I certainly wouldn't trust that mask to protect me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

The difference is that they will require a negative COVID test for unvaccinated passengers who want to cruise.  A covid positive person can wander all over the airport, board the plane, sit within inches of another person, remove their mask to eat a snack and drink, and it's no problem with the CDC.  Yet cruise ships could not sail for over a year.  I would much rather be next to a tested unvaccinated person on a cruise ship than sit next to untested people on an airplane for hours.  

The problem was those early cruises that couldn't get into port with all those positives aboard. What do you do with 1000's of people that all need quarantined? I don't know anyone who thinks allowing cruises would have been a good idea when they were shut down. Not sure if that is what you are saying but I see the point. The cruise lines could have fought to stay open but they didn't. They also aren't US flagged so they couldn't get the help that the airlines could.

1 minute ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That's assuming masks work.  Not saying they do or don't, but if you knew the person sitting on the same row as you had covid, would you want to sit by them for two hours even with a mask on?  Sorry, but I certainly wouldn't trust that mask to protect me.

I had essential travel during all the waves and flew multiple times with two masks and eye protection before vaccine and didn't have a problem. I think properly worn masks are very effective even if someone takes theirs off briefly. I left mine on the whole time, no eating or drinking.

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If I knew for sure they had covid, they wouldn't be on the flight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SDN said:

The problem was those early cruises that couldn't get into port with all those positives aboard. What do you do with 1000's of people that all need quarantined? I don't know anyone who thinks allowing cruises would have been a good idea when they were shut down. Not sure if that is what you are saying but I see the point. The cruise lines could have fought to stay open but they didn't. They also aren't US flagged so they couldn't get the help that the airlines could.

That cruise ship didn't leave from the US.  US cruising was shut down from March 2020 until June 2021, I believe.  That is ridiculous.  The CDC put them in a March 2020 Covid box and didn't want to let them out.  It was overreach and completely unnecessary to shut them down for that period of time.  

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

In a world where everyone does job?   The cdc.  Maybe they will learn the lesson.  

And full circle we go! Hallelujah! I agree with your assessment 100%. Not liking what that authority does, does not invalidate that authority or need for the protective/defensive services that it provides on behalf of the citizens of the USA. Challenging, or rewriting rather, that authority should be done at the congressional level if they choose. It's not a cruise line or state issue, neither have standing.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

And yet, the CDC has no issue with anyone boarding a plane.  I will never understand why covid tests aren't required to fly.  That's why I waited until I was fully vaccinated before getting on a plane. I am smart enough to figure out that flying is high risk since covid positive people are definitely getting on planes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

And full circle we go! Hallelujah! I agree with your assessment 100%. Not liking what that authority does, does not invalidate that authority or need for the protective/defensive services that it provides on behalf of the citizens of the USA. Challenging, or rewriting rather, that authority should be done at the congressional level if they choose. It's not a cruise line or state issue, neither have standing.  

I am not disagreeing but have you seen what some of the congressmen are saying and doing? 🙂

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I will leave the politics of congress to others

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

I do not think Carnival will change anything quickly, but there would be just as many who start cruising as those who leave due to more lenient policies. If they dropped the vaccine requirement, I would cruise this month. 

BINGO!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

And yet, the CDC has no issue with anyone boarding a plane.  I will never understand why covid tests aren't required to fly.  That's why I waited until I was fully vaccinated before getting on a plane. I am smart enough to figure out that flying is high risk since covid positive people are definitely getting on planes.

Of course they do. They have guidelines which is what you want cruise lines reduced to.  Being fully vaccinated do not mean you are immune.

If you test positive before debarking from a cruise, you are required to quarantine and not fly.

46 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

What's crazy to me is that people can fly without even taking a covid test and sit within inches of another person for hours.  The CDC was fine with it and is still fine with it, yet the risk is high.  Cruising was singled out and shut down.  Very hypocritical since it's obvious that sitting within inches of a covid positive person for hours on end is high risk.

Well said and so true!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The problem is, you wouldn't know.  There are no testing or vaccination requirements, so you are essentially putting your trust in a mask or the fact that you are vaccinated.  You could be sitting right next to someone who has covid.  I'm sorry, but I disagree that is less of a risk than being on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Of course they do. They have guidelines which is what you want cruise lines reduced to.  Being fully vaccinated do not mean you are immune.

If you test positive before debarking from a cruise, you are required to quarantine and not fly.

Don’t bother arguing.  A broken clock is right twice a day.  Not sure a broken record is ever right.