U.S. appeals court lifts CDC cruise ship restrictions in win for Florida

bluesman0711

4 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Outright lie there my friend 

Um, that is literally what happened.

We can debate all day whether what the CDC did was right.

(I think it was absurd.)

But denying the facts of what they, in real life, did… that’s crazy talk.

• Like 1

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

I will leave the politics of congress to others

I can't see the high courts doing anything with this. Seems more of a not liking the outcome of exercising of authority, not that the authority doesn't exist. There are already plenty of solutions if people want to change that and going to the court with a lazy "but it's too hard defense" isn't likely to spark motivation to step in. There is no constitutional crisis.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you test positive before debarking from a cruise, you are required to quarantine and not fly.

I am not disagreeing but That statement seems too much like a blanket statement. Where is the exact ruling you are referring to?

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I can't see the high courts doing anything with this. Seems more of a not liking the outcome of exercising of authority, not that the authority doesn't exist. There are already plenty of solutions if people want to change that and going to the court with a lazy "but it's too hard defense" isn't likely to spark motivation to step in. There is no constitutional crisis.

I agree.  I cannot think of how they can find a reason.  

3 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I am not disagreeing but That statement seems too much like a blanket statement. Where is the exact ruling you are referring to?

If you traveled by air to join your cruise and test positive at embarkation and are not able to cruise – or test positive during the debark testing – you may be required to quarantine before traveling home. While Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements, all guests are responsible for expenses associated with quarantine.

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The only thing that concerns me is that the government doesn't like to lose. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdmundXXIII said:

(I think it was absurd.)

It's not even about right or wrong, it's a matter of authority. Not liking the outcome of that authority isn't the same thing as them not having it to make. People in positions of authority make unpopular decisions all the time. Doesn't make those decisions illegal just because some, or even many, disagree with them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EdmundXXIII said:

(I think it was absurd.)

So I must have dreamed it was a certain governor that prohibited disembarkment of a highly infected cruise ship?  I’ll provide links.  You’ll provide what?

18 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That cruise ship didn't leave from the US.  US cruising was shut down from March 2020 until June 2021, I believe.  That is ridiculous.  The CDC put them in a March 2020 Covid box and didn't want to let them out.  It was overreach and completely unnecessary to shut them down for that period of time.  

Yes the middle of March. We got off the Breeze Feb 29 Those B2B cruises were normal no mention that the cruise lines might close down. April 1 was my first cancellations. The Legend was not going to Europe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

If you traveled by air to join your cruise and test positive at embarkation and are not able to cruise – or test positive during the debark testing – you may be required to quarantine before traveling home. While Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements, all guests are responsible for expenses associated with quarantine.

Yes, I have seen that. That wording was may, not must or required. It depends on any local, state, or federal regulations vs recommendations.

1 minute ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

The only thing that concerns me is that the government doesn't like to lose. 

That's what elections are for, politicians don't like to lose (power) but they will have to get over themselves. We are the government and get the government we deserve for we give them authority with our votes.     

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

there was one that said an island might tip over if too many people went to one side. There are many many more things that our lawmakers say.

Yup, actually said sink, but the point remains

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

umm, if the lawsuit in Florida hadn't forced the CDC to arbitration we might still be waiting for the 1st cruise.

Yep.  It certainly seemed to get them actually moving towards a plan to allow cruise ships to sail.

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

But how would Carnival know?  The vaccinated arent tested.

1 hour ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Not much science or the CDC would not have lost in 2 courts, so far, when challenged. 

The courts aren't ruling on the science. They are ruling on the basis of scope and authority. What the CDC is or isn't allowed to impose. The science is pretty simple. Vaccines, mask etc. slow the spread of viruses. This is known medical science. The courts aren't disputing this. 

4 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

umm, if the lawsuit in Florida hadn't forced the CDC to arbitration we might still be waiting for the 1st cruise.

No we wouldn't. And if Americans had followed simple instructions last year, we would have been cruising sooner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Good to know Florida politicians have so much influence that a pending suit (at the time cruising did start domestically) led to the slow/sensible start schedule we currently are experiencing.  Congrats?

9 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Even the CEO of Port Canaveral said that the lawsuit helped move things forward.  Anyone who has read the lawsuit can see what the cruise lines faced when dealing with the CDC over the past  1 1/2 years.  The goal post always moved.  I think the people who are not siding with Florida may have never even read the lawsuit.

It's pretty bad when a lawsuit has to be filed just to try to get an entire industry back open after being completely shut down for 1 1/2 years.  No government entity should be powerful enough to shut down an industry the way the CDC did to the cruise industry for the amount of time they did.  They should have issued guidance like they did with the other industries. The cruise lines lost billions of dollars, had to sell ships, and were bleeding.  Thankfully, DeSantis had the guts to stand up for them.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No we wouldn't. And if Americans had followed simple instructions last year, we would have been cruising sooner.

I wore a mask everywhere I only left my house 2 times a  month to go to the grocery store. I social distanced and seldom saw my grandchildren. Im an American and I followed every instruction simple and otherwise but I still had 20 cruises cancelled, .What more should i have done in order to cruise sooner?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thankfully, DeSantis had the guts to stand up for them.

Always taking a stand & making sound decisions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-ship-coronavirus-zaandam

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jacksonville.com/amp/112255994

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

No government entity should be powerful enough to shut down an industry the way the CDC did to the cruise industry for the amount of time they did. 

Thankfully, DeSantis had the guts to stand up for them.

It seems like there is a lot of CDC this and CDC that while ignoring the rest of the world where many cruise lines that never call here also shut down for some time and most of their home ports had less cases than we did. That is because it was the correct decision. You are assuming that the cruise lines wanted to stay operating during that time (they didn't). If they wanted to stay operating, they would have fought for it. Luckily they were in a strong position to weather the storm and that was better to them than the risk of continuing operations.

You also ironically say that "No government entity" should have the power to shut down an industry while praising a state "government entity" forcing them to fully open when they know they aren't ready.