Passport Processing Update for adults

For those who have a passport renewal in process, I thought it might be helpful if I report my experience. 

I happily received my passport today. The application was mailed on May 5th. I received notice on June 15th that it was now in process. I did not pay for expedited processing. 

So it was under 12 weeks from the day I mailed it. Frankly I was worried, because the June 15th email said that processing time was 10-12 weeks, and I interpreted that to mean that it would be another 10-12 weeks from that point, but apparently not.

Edited by emeraldcity
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

For those who have a passport renewal in process, I thought it might be helpful if I report my experience. 

I happily received my passport today. The application was mailed on May 5th. I received notice on June 15th that it was now in process. I did not pay for expedited processing. 

So it was under 12 weeks from the day I mailed it. Frankly I was worried, because the June 15th email said that processing time was 10-12 weeks, and I interpreted that to mean that it would be another 10-12 weeks from that point, but apparently not.

Thanks for posting this. We renewed mid June and received the “in process” message mid July, so maybe we have a chance of getting them back before fall. 

The last renewal, we just got the card.  Does anyone know if that will work for Northbound Alaska...Vancouver returning from Seward?  Or do we need the book again?  I assume since we'll be entering the US from Canada in Seward on our ship, customs will accept the card.  Then we fly back home from Seward so we will have already been cleared.  Any help will be appreciated, I do have a year to get 'er done.

I used USPS Priority and a Postal Money Order when mailing my (expedited) renewal on July 8th. The passport had expired just last year, so within the 15 year of issuance timeframe. Just checked and it gave me this update:

Your Application Status

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 07/14/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.

Edited by dmwnc1959

If I recall correctly, for our NB cruises, we cleared US customs in Vancouver, before boarding the ship.  We had the passport book and card, and it seemed like our card would not work.  I would call and confirm. According to the card itself, if arriving by sea or land, it should work, but I'm not sure the cruise policy will allow.  

How does mailing increase the time by 6 weeks? The U.S. postal system really is not all that bad. So I guess it takes five weeks to take a passport, put in in an envelope, and have the mailman pick it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

I used USPS Priority and a Postal Money Order when mailing my (expedited) renewal on July 8th. The passport had expired just last year, so within the 15 year of issuance timeframe. Just checked and it gave me this update:

Your Application Status

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book and card on 07/14/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. Our processing times do not include mailing times, which could add 6 weeks to the door-to-door time.

Just a quick update on passport processing times from my post above, this from today:

“The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book and card. We're now printing your passport book and card and preparing to give it to you.

You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. You should receive your passport book and card on or around 08/08/2021.”

Very cool. And very happy!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Of course, now that I have my new passport in hand ... my September and November cruises were canceled.

It figures...

You 'bout gave me a heart attack..... I know we are on a Roll Call together but I couldn't remember which one.

I'm doing a string of five cruises S2S and B2B in Nov/Dec, and you saying you had a November cruise cancelled made me afraid for a minute!  LOL

9 hours ago, jrapps said:

We just got our renewals back. We sent them in Priority Express, did Expedited service, and paid for the Priority Express return shipping. Took exactly 4 weeks. I was shocked it was so fast.

Same here. I wasn’t expecting it until maybe October, even had my iPhone calendar marked to check it then, but for some reason I decided to check yesterday. It even shows up in my USPS Informed Delivery email as being delivered this coming Monday. So pretty much exactly one month door-to-door. Now all I have to do is final payment and the pre-boarding COVID test for a December 5th sailing. Easy peasy. 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

You 'bout gave me a heart attack..... I know we are on a Roll Call together but I couldn't remember which one.

I'm doing a string of five cruises S2S and B2B in Nov/Dec, and you saying you had a November cruise cancelled made me afraid for a minute!  LOL

Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the Enchantment or the Radiance, so I just lurked on those roll calls. But I have high hopes for the Allure in December.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for the Enchantment or the Radiance, so I just lurked on those roll calls. But I have high hopes for the Allure in December.

Yes, I'm doing Freedom, Symphony, Allure, and Jewel in that stretch.  As long as Jewel makes it back from the Med and starts cruising from MIA in November, my last leg should be safe -- all the others are already through their simulation cruise transition.

• Host Kat changed the title to Passport Processing Update for adults

We sent ours in may and got a later stating the app wasn't with the passpOrts and we had to send a nEw app in. Still haven't Got the new passports. Sailing today to Alaska out of Seattle.I was told birth certificate and license will do.

Adding in my timeline: I sent in an expedited passport renewal on July 6, want to processing in July 10 and received my new passport on August 6. Their processing estimate of up to 12 weeks for expedited is VERY conservative. 

Thanks for the updates. I took my 2 granddaughters to the post office and went through the passport application process for them 10 days ago. I didn't bother with expedited because the cruise they need it for is in May, but I'm interested to find out how long it will likely be before they get them.