FYI: Here’s what happens if you’ve been out of country 14 days before cruise

amypintx

Yes this is not listed in the vaccinated portion of the carnival cruise protocol. you have to go in deeper to the FAQ to even find this information. I am sure most people will not know this until they arrive at the terminal. Would it flag a person if they said no to the question on the 14 travel question if they were on a different cruise a week or 2 earlier ?. also if they answer yes will it let them know before they travel to their cruise that they need to be tested this could be a very big issue. What happens if they arrive and followed all the rules Vaccinated and all then test positive at the port. what does Carnival do with them. Carnival needs to put this on their Health Protocals .

14 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

Yes this is not listed in the vaccinated portion of the carnival cruise protocol. you have to go in deeper to the FAQ to even find this information. I am sure most people will not know this until they arrive at the terminal. Would it flag a person if they said no to the question on the 14 travel question if they were on a different cruise a week or 2 earlier ?. also if they answer yes will it let them know before they travel to their cruise that they need to be tested this could be a very big issue. What happens if they arrive and followed all the rules Vaccinated and all then test positive at the port. what does Carnival do with them. Carnival needs to put this on their Health Protocals .

I agree. I would not have known if I hadn’t dug into the FAQs. I feel like there should be some automatic response when someone answers yes to any of those questions to tell them what’s going to happen at embarkation. If we would have tested positive, we would have been denied boarding.

I don’t know if it would flag someone if they didn’t answer “yes” but there is a warning on the assessment that basically says you won’t get any kind of refund of you lie so I personally wouldn’t risk it. 

I’m sure the man that was being denied boarding while we were there had answered yes to the question about exposure. He should have received an email right then that they weren’t going to let him on board so that he didn’t travel all the way to the port. Maybe he did and just didn’t read it, I don’t know. We also saw people complaining about why they had to get an antigen test for their unvaccinated kids when they just did one less than 72 hours ago even though this policy is very clearly spelled out. Some people just don’t read their emails. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by amypintx

OK, so I am just going to put this out there for ya'll.  I was getting a bit nervous about the prospect of having to deal with this pre-cruise ordeal because our August and September cruises were so close (less than 14 days)  so I called my PVP.  I was worried "what if" we get a false positive or worse yet a positive, what does that mean.  Do we have to be stuck somewhere for 10-14 days.

He put me on hold and came back about 15 minutes later because he wanted to speak to a supervisor about exactly what the rules are.  When he came back he told me this exactly:

If you have traveled internationally with 14 days of your cruise:  You have to bring a negative PCR test with you  & you have to pay to be tested at the port $150 (basically almost like you are unvaccinated).  NOW this does not match what the OP said just happened on her cruise, and I don't know if it is because September is in the "2nd round" of cruises they released and maybe in the fine print somewhere they tweaked the rules?  Or maybe the supervisor my PVP spoke too was wrong but......

I BAILED right there, told him no way I am dealing with all that BS, move me a week more out so I have more than a 14 day gap.  Good news is I was able to move at no penalty, but jeez, still stressful having to rearrange air, hotel, cruise, etc... and what if I hadn't asked!

NO BS here exactly what just happened to me.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wemjam said:

OK, so I am just going to put this out there for ya'll.  I was getting a bit nervous about the prospect of having to deal with this pre-cruise ordeal because our August and September cruises were so close (less than 14 days)  so I called my PVP.  I was worried "what if" we get a false positive or worse yet a positive, what does that mean.  Do we have to be stuck somewhere for 10-14 days.

He put me on hold and came back about 15 minutes later because he wanted to speak to a supervisor about exactly what the rules are.  When he came back he told me this exactly:

If you have traveled internationally with 14 days of your cruise:  You have to bring a negative PCR test with you  & you have to pay to be tested at the port $150 (basically almost like you are unvaccinated).  NOW this does not match what the OP said just happened on her cruise, and I don't know if it is because September is in the "2nd round" of cruises they released and maybe in the fine print somewhere they tweaked the rules?  Or maybe the supervisor my PVP spoke too was wrong but......

I BAILED right there, told him no way I am dealing with all that BS, move me a week more out so I have more than a 14 day gap.  Good news is I was able to move at no penalty, but jeez, still stressful having to rearrange air, hotel, cruise, etc... and what if I hadn't asked!

A cruise is supposed to be an non-stressful vacation. Reading this thread, I only see stress, stress, and more stress.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise and your rescheduled one with a minimum of stress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

A cruise is supposed to be an non-stressful vacation. Reading this thread, I only see stress, stress, and more stress.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise and your rescheduled one with a minimum of stress.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!  Over it now as everything is wrapped up, it just seems like every time we think we have it figured out someone changes the rules lol!  OH well, guess it keeps life interesting - got to bend in the wind.

8 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Thanks for the kind thoughts!  Over it now as everything is wrapped up, it just seems like every time we think we have it figured out someone changes the rules lol!  OH well, guess it keeps life interesting - got to bend in the wind.

You're welcome. And what a great attitude.😊👍

16 minutes ago, wemjam said:

And here's something to help anyone feeling stressful with their cruise planning. The ship shown is a Princess ship, not a Carnival ship, but Carnival Corporation does own Princess. And relieving stress is important, and I don't know how anyone can not feel good after seeing and hearing this.

(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay feat. Jack Johnson | Otis Redding 50th Anniversary - YouTube

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And here's something to help anyone feeling stressful with their cruise planning. The ship shown is a Princess ship, not a Carnival ship, but Carnival Corporation does own Princess. And relieving stress is important, and I don't know how anyone can not feel good after seeing and hearing this.

(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay feat. Jack Johnson | Otis Redding 50th Anniversary - YouTube

LOVE IT,  I was singing along and my husband across the living room started 😍 

40 minutes ago, wemjam said:

LOVE IT,  I was singing along and my husband across the living room started 😍 

Glad it had the positive effect it was supposed to have. I could suggest a few more playing for change YouTube videos if you want, and if it would not be too far off topic.

10 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Pray that you don't get a false positive.  It happens quite a bit with this (all of them) test.  There's a pro golfer who was tested and taken off the course about 5 weeks ago.  He had no symptoms and they removed him from the tournament.  He now tests positive again...  after testing negative for weeks...  I don't trust the tests at all and am avoiding taking one at all costs myself.

He was unvaccinated and that was the reason he was being tested in the first place….

11 hours ago, wemjam said:

If this is true, then Carnival needs to communicate it more clearly to their international guests.

Based on the citizenship and residency that you fill out when you book, they send out automatic emails (if you're from a Schengen country or require a Visa/Esta).

In this case we're a large group of vaccinated people flying to Miami in August and October and if it weren't for this post we would not have known this.

I sent in an email to Carnival to receive this requirement in clear writing in order to prevent unpleasant cost and surprises. 

12 hours ago, wemjam said:

Great idea on pushing back the 2nd cruise.  Better to be safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

If this is true, then Carnival needs to communicate it more clearly to their international guests.

Based on the citizenship and residency that you fill out when you book, they send out automatic emails (if you're from a Schengen country or require a Visa/Esta).

In this case we're a large group of vaccinated people flying to Miami in August and October and if it weren't for this post we would not have known this.

I sent in an email to Carnival to receive this requirement in clear writing in order to prevent unpleasant cost and surprises. 

Please let us know what the response is..I figured coming into US from Canada vaxxed (same vaccine) would be sufficient until I read this this thread..

2 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

It doesn't matter if one is vaxxed or not.....  a false positive is a false positive that ruins a vacation.

Yes, a false positive definitely ruins your vacation. And a false negative might just ruin a vacation for a lot of people.

Just how accurate are the tests? Are the rapid results ones less accurate? Are the ones done a few days before, especially if you are travelling to get to the cruise, not as valid as they could be because you could catch Covid in transit? So many questions, so few answers.

So went to the Carnival website and found this in the fine print related to being out of the country 14 days prior to sailing (guess the supervisor my PVP was talking too was wrong... also I know I saw Canadian asking about this too)

What happens if I am vaccinated but have travelled internationally (excluding Canada) within 14 days?

You will receive an antigen test at embarkation.

4 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Please let us know what the response is..I figured coming into US from Canada vaxxed (same vaccine) would be sufficient until I read this this thread..

I received official confirmation from Carnival that this is indeed the case.

So PCR test done within 72 hours of embarkation PLUS $150 Carnival test for each guest - vaccinated or not.

I'm very disappointed. 

I asked John Heald before our cruise and he said no fee. I screenshot it in case they tried to charge us, I was going to argue. There was no discussion about cost at all. But that could have been since it was July as was mentioned.  Definitely something they need to document one way or the other. 

E34F7A44-45B5-4E74-A4FB-54A6D396E103.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

I received official confirmation from Carnival that this is indeed the case.

So PCR test done within 72 hours of embarkation PLUS $150 Carnival test for each guest - vaccinated or not.

I'm very disappointed. 

AGAIN, such contradictory information.  You and I have both been told now that this is the requirement directly by Carnival agents, but their website and JH saying just take the free test (I posted that above right from the Carnival site).   It is so frustrating.  I am SO glad we bailed and just moved our 2nd cruise out a week.  I would have been really peeved off if I showed up thinking all I need is a free test and then found out all this crap.  

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

I am SO glad we bailed and just moved our 2nd cruise out a week.  I would have been really peeved off if I showed up thinking all I need is a free test and then found out all this crap.  

Good move! Different info from JH to the phone agents/PVPs to the embarkation staff. Much better to reschedule so you can just answer no to the question! 

I’m very interested in hearing what other people actually experience in the coming weeks. 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:30 AM, ontheweb said:

I don't believe that they allow you to not get off the ship

on a back to back between the 2 segments.

A lot like what happens to us Barbados boarders

(those boarding at Bridgetown, B'dos)

when we get to San Juan, PR.

We must vacate the ship, for a few hrs. -we go shopping anyway!

For us folks who board at Barbados

our 7-day cruising arrangement is technically..

a half-cruise from Barbados to PR
followed by another half-cruise from PRSanJuan

back home to Barbados!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wemjam said:

So went to the Carnival website and found this in the fine print related to being out of the country 14 days prior to sailing (guess the supervisor my PVP was talking too was wrong... also I know I saw Canadian asking about this too)

What happens if I am vaccinated but have travelled internationally (excluding Canada) within 14 days?

You will receive an antigen test at embarkation.

So this would mean I would be exempt from pre board antigen since it says excluding Canada? lol who knows what will actually happen at the time of..  Do you recall where about on the site you saw this?

5 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

So this would mean I would be exempt from pre board antigen since it says excluding Canada? lol who knows what will actually happen at the time of..  Do you recall where about on the site you saw this?

On Carnival's home page at the very top there is small print that says UPDATE and then the line underneath the last thing says health protocols.  Click on that.  The next page has 3 tabs at the top, the 2nd one says Return to Service FAQs.  ON that page about 3/4's of the way down is a heading that says:

HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE & SCREENING

It is in that section.

Hope that was clear enough to follow

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

On Carnival's home page at the very top there is small print that says UPDATE and then the line underneath the last thing says health protocols.  Click on that.  The next page has 3 tabs at the top, the 2nd one says Return to Service FAQs.  ON that page about 3/4's of the way down is a heading that says:

HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE & SCREENING

It is in that section.

Hope that was clear enough to follow

Found it! Thank you so much for this..we already have to do 3 tests for our vacation, so thinking we also needed to do the one pre boarding was a lot considering we are vaxxed..happy about this:)