On board Apex now. Bullet point synopsis and observations!

ian441672

6 hours ago, little britain said:

@ian441672 is Eden now just a normal dinner without someone hanging upside down over your shoulder; and then a separate show? 

Are there any special deals on board for the specialty restaurants? Currently £39pp on the planner ($54).. wondering whether to buy now or wait! 

Guessed you have upgraded your drinks package but could you just ask how much an Aperol Spritz is please; I’m thinking it’s $10 so I should have $1.20 upsell to pay! 
Cheers 🍻

No! I think you can eat your dinner in peace now following lots of feedback they are far less intrusive. The shows are most nights and the whole area is a great ambience and looks really exciting and enticing. Not eaten there but most people say it is really good. We enjoy a drink there for sure immersed right into a show. 

Haven’t seen any special on board deals for specialty dining. We’ve only done the one so far.  We got the premium drink package included and most cocktails range from $12-16 but haven’t paid much attention to the prices tbh, no one  has asked us to pay anything much more and we are really just ordering what we fancy. 

I ordered a sidecar in 3 different bars and they didn’t really know what one was. In the sunset bar, they gave me a free pour of cognac and Cointreau which I threw. On the Carpet it tasted like a Virgin version and even in the martini bar he clarified what the ingredients were! That aside, it’s all very nice!

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have sailed in Aft sky suites on other Celebrity ships.  Did you have a problem with smoke and soot?  I couldn't leave anything on balcony as it would get filthy.

Yes, one morning there was a fair bit of soot on our loungers and towel. Was a bit of a nuisance but it was soon cleared. Smoke generally not so much of an issue tho I have seen some (and smelt it).  

Mykonos is confirmed as a NO. So it’s staying on board, nice lie in and Retreat Deck day. We have the best of Mykonos next week. 

Rhodes and Lindos were amazing. Sooooo hot, but we made it to the top of the colosseum and the views were magnificent. Old town was great and the tour included a late 3pm lunch for some reason, but it was a traditional up market taverna style meal outside, covered in trees and flowers, a real treat before boarding at 5. 

Sailing away now, off to get changed for a cocktail then magic carpet dinner in time for sunset. Just hope it’s on the right side!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ian441672 said:

Foldable table…. Good idea. Not so sure how practical!? We have asked for afternoon tea on our balcony tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how practical this will be. Been saving our welcome champagne for this too, so whatever happens on Mykonos (or not), something to look forward to. Had a quick cup of tea late afternoon yday in the lounge and very nice indeed. Half a dozen people also enjoying, and just a nice casual relaxed atmosphere there. 

Nice corner bar too, no bar stalls, but not needed with all the comfy seating nearby. Separate presentation area near the Retreat Deck exit, for teas and nibbles. All good. 

Cheers!

Ian - glad that you enjoyed the Wellington!  

I hope they bring the bar stools back next year as we do enjoy sitting at the bar, but I can understand why they do not have them during Covid.

I was joking about the table - although I would like one - haha.  We do prefer having breakfast on the balcony - not having to get ready and go somewhere for breakfast, so it should be interesting.

We saw a video of that English singer "in quarantine" on the ship - she was funny.  

Hope you enjoy your Magic Carpet Dinner and come back and report to us - lol.  

Too bad about Mykonos but at least you will have the full tour next week.

Have a nice day!😀

Canuck

14 hours ago, steamboats said:

Norwegian Jade is in Mykonos today (first cruise) and the pax are allowed to go onshore on their own.

steamboats

Yes and supposedly Mykonos lifted all their restrictions as of July 26th but still listed as tour on Celebrity so I guess I'll miss my favorite island.  Sigh.

Just a couple of Rhodes from top of the Acropolis and from afar. We walked up THAT, well worth it! Also a nice pic from the cobbled streets of Rhodes and sunset on the Magic Carpet and the finale of another really good show, Tree of Life. 

Dinner was good. We were second sitting and most of tables full. The whole length of the ‘Carpet’ had mostly 2x2 tables quite adjacent to each other with some 4’s as well. Unfortunately all the near ocean view tables were gone so we sat on the outer line of tables slightly obscuring the view. I had to get up to take those, but the wife had the best views facing the gorgeously orange hued sun. Sea food not really our thing so I’m not totally sure we got value for money, but it was a lovely warm breeze blowing as the sun set, gliding through the Aegean Sea (perhaps?!). Charcouterie board was good, soft and hard cheeses, meats, a to die for honey, the proper stuff and some bread. We turned down the amuse bouche of an oyster in shell, nothing else was offered. Cold veloute soup with king prawns and foam and some other bits (I’m not selling it well am I? Sorry!). All pleasant, then another course and the surf and turn. Big fillet mignon, fois gras (we passed), live lobster tail and a nice jus. 

It was a lovely experience and I tried bits I wouldn’t normally try. We wouldn’t do it again only because of what we do/don’t like but nothing to do with the the service, atmosphere or food itself. A very special evening for sure. 

Interestingly, we had some white Opulence Chardonnay to start with at $16 a glass. In Luminae I didn’t even realise this was over the $15 limit, but here the waiter said there would be a dollar surcharge. I expressed genuine surprise (I was oblivious at this point) but he was good and said don’t worry, it’s on me! That was good of him but there is some discretion which was good. I’ll stick to it on Luminae!

Tree of Life really good and I’d see all the shows this week again. Hopefully they will repeat next week. Rockumentary on tomorrow night. 

Some noise last night, deckchair pulling late and early, somewhere above or below us, plus water running somewhere. At first I thought it was someone desperate for the toilet but it went on far longer than that! Not the best of sleeps but such a comfy bed. 

Day of rest today. Phew. 

94FF9740-317A-4DF8-8481-D83CA012748E.jpeg

3B3F9B42-8A56-4D60-A3A5-F917562689A7.jpeg

56CCD7F7-F383-4F60-9E40-280E08616E4C.jpeg

90A90B21-DA07-4720-8FFE-D000C22AD0F1.jpeg

DBB0026F-FD55-4B19-8789-79B73147ACC7.jpeg

B7B9E9F3-F2F2-49B1-83FF-2334D2E78DCA.jpeg

2D86DCC3-B60C-49D3-AA9F-BDB3654CBE94.jpeg

4F2F8BF5-BF65-47CA-B427-BF7869498194.jpeg

• Like 7

Ian - thanks for reporting and the great pics!

Wow - surprised that the Magic Carpet's two top tables are not spaced out more - that is a bit "too close for comfort" in normal circumstances, never mind during Covid...

Haven't seen a current Magic Carpet dinner menu - so are you saying that it is all mainly seafood?  I am allergic to all fish/seafood, so that may not be good & hubby doesn't care for it too much either.  Maybe we will just have cocktails there instead.

Are you planning on eating at the Rooftop Garden Grill - just wondering how that is?  Also have heard that Le Bistro is excellent for lunch so anxious to hear about that.

Hope your Afternoon Tea worked out ok on your balcony.

Cheers,

Canuck

5 hours ago, little britain said:

@ian441672 I can’t see the Carpet menu on the planner: is it something only offered on board?  If so how much💰 pls! 

It’s offered on board, our concierge offered it. I think it was $120 pp plus gratuity. If I see the menu I will take a photo, but it is hard to find as meal is only once a week. 

3 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ian - thanks for reporting and the great pics!

Wow - surprised that the Magic Carpet's two top tables are not spaced out more - that is a bit "too close for comfort" in normal circumstances, never mind during Covid...

Haven't seen a current Magic Carpet dinner menu - so are you saying that it is all mainly seafood?  I am allergic to all fish/seafood, so that may not be good & hubby doesn't care for it too much either.  Maybe we will just have cocktails there instead.

Are you planning on eating at the Rooftop Garden Grill - just wondering how that is?  Also have heard that Le Bistro is excellent for lunch so anxious to hear about that.

Hope your Afternoon Tea worked out ok on your balcony.

Cheers,

Canuck

Yes, tables close. Wife wasn’t that happy, nor me really. Mostly sea food that’s why as much as we enjoyed it, we felt we didn’t get value since we are not keen sea foodies either. Cocktails is a certain winner for sure. 

Not doing Rooftop Grill as enticing as it looks, sticking with L plus another Fine Cut next week. 

L hostess said tonight as a B2B we might get a complimentary lunch at Le Bistro on 2nd cruise embarkation day. She will confirm, and the SFX don’t happen at lunch, but she said the menu is amazing and food is outstanding, one of her favourites, so fingers crossed there. This is not published and is invite only. 

Tea and champagne superb. Soooo much and out butler had to bring in a second table to fit it all in! It was very hot too outside but we did ok. 8 scones, 4 pots of hot water, 6 sandwiches, 12 pastries and jam and cream. Full up even after having light lunch. Might do it again next week, watching the world sail by, sipping tea and fizz. Very decadent 😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Wonderful pictures.  You have me sold on Edge!  Afternoon tea on the balcony sounds really novel.

Thanks, glad you liked. It was very nice and we enjoy it on Princess and X. Both similar with pros  and cons, but usually tasty and way too much! It’s a lovely way to spend an hour, either in dock or on a sea day. Different vistas and different experiences, but a special occasion on an amazing trip and ship! 

2 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Yes, tables close. Wife wasn’t that happy, nor me really. Mostly sea food that’s why as much as we enjoyed it, we felt we didn’t get value since we are not keen sea foodies either. Cocktails is a certain winner for sure. 

Not doing Rooftop Grill as enticing as it looks, sticking with L plus another Fine Cut next week. 

L hostess said tonight as a B2B we might get a complimentary lunch at Le Bistro on 2nd cruise embarkation day. She will confirm, and the SFX don’t happen at lunch, but she said the menu is amazing and food is outstanding, one of her favourites, so fingers crossed there. This is not published and is invite only. 

Tea and champagne superb. Soooo much and out butler had to bring in a second table to fit it all in! It was very hot too outside but we did ok. 8 scones, 4 pots of hot water, 6 sandwiches, 12 pastries and jam and cream. Full up even after having light lunch. Might do it again next week, watching the world sail by, sipping tea and fizz. Very decadent 😊

Hi Ian - We are on for 34 days next year (touch wood) so we hope to try the Rooftop Garden Grill, if even for lunch.  I have heard wonderful things about Le Bistro for lunch - I "think" they may even have some kind of Wellington too (a short rib one if I recall - yumm) but I looked at the menu a few weeks ago & it looked really good, so hope you get to enjoy it.

Oh my - your Afternoon Tea does sound good! haha

Again...absolutely enjoying living vicariously through you!😁

Canuck

On 7/28/2021 at 10:29 AM, Cruise a holic said:

We have sailed in Aft sky suites on other Celebrity ships.  Did you have a problem with smoke and soot?  I couldn't leave anything on balcony as it would get filthy.

We were just on the Edge in an aft sky suite and had a very minor amount of soot every day.  The room steward tried to stay on top of it and I always went out with a washcloth prior to sitting down.  Certainly not a negative impact at all.  However, if you sat down in your only pair of white dress pants it might be an issue if you weren’t careful.  I think balconies vary a lot....some are too shady, some are too sunny, some too windy, some obstruct the view, but a little soot would never make me dislike an aft cabin!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We were just on the Edge in an aft sky suite and had a very minor amount of soot every day.  The room steward tried to stay on top of it and I always went out with a washcloth prior to sitting down.  Certainly not a negative impact at all.  However, if you sat down in your only pair of white dress pants it might be an issue if you weren’t careful.  I think balconies vary a lot....some are too shady, some are too sunny, some too windy, some obstruct the view, but a little soot would never make me dislike an aft cabin!

I I didn’t expect and put our swim suits out to dry.  Don’t leave anything on the aft balcony to dry!

8 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Hi Ian - We are on for 34 days next year (touch wood) so we hope to try the Rooftop Garden Grill, if even for lunch.  I have heard wonderful things about Le Bistro for lunch - I "think" they may even have some kind of Wellington too (a short rib one if I recall - yumm) but I looked at the menu a few weeks ago & it looked really good, so hope you get to enjoy it.

Oh my - your Afternoon Tea does sound good! haha

Again...absolutely enjoying living vicariously through you!😁

Canuck

34 days, wow, what a ship to spend that time on! Where are you going? Lucky you. 

Might try the Garden Grill next week, depending on the L menu, but as said, I know we will do the Fine Cut again. 

We booked our antigen tests on the app for this morning. Easy to do, booked yesterday and could pick time slot from 5am to 11am, before exiting for Santorini. Will have to do the same next week, plus the UK entry required test verified our flight home. 

Off to Santorini on our own today up the cable car for a wonder, as we have an Oia and island tour next week. 

I will post up to tomorrow after reboarding / change over day just in case anything worthwhile to let you know happens. 

I can let someone else take over if they like to, as next week is likely to be the same for me but others may have different tips and observations. 

Hope it’s been useful. I know I used to really look out for updates and hints before I boarded here, especially in these times, so I kind of wanted to pay some of that back. Hope I have!

Thanks all. It’s lovely to have another week on board. In short, service has been exceptional and anticipative, over and above. Butler Jackie is fantastic, making his love heart sign with his two hands every time he sees me, slight bow and a welcoming smile. He can’t do enough, offering to walk us everywhere we want to go, which of course we don’t need. This is just typical of all the staff. 

Chatting to one Brit in the entertainment crew, he said pax numbers in the 600-700s will be steady for the rest of the Med season before rising slightly at the end and going to the 1000s when returning to the US. 

Food has been good, at times very good, but not often wow, exceptional. Happy tho in general with what we have had and that could be in part to our preferences. 

Entertainment ranks in the top 3 of all cruises we have done, in my view of course. Loved all the production shows, a couple were outstanding and I hope to see them again next week. Singers were great too. We were the only ones in the Pub Quiz yesterday in the Club (by default we wondered in for a drink at 7), so we won that! Shame about the numbers but that will pick up. 

All in all, very special week and we were lucky to be on board this special ship at this time, taking advantage of some low numbers. 

Apex may not be for everyone or the traditionalists, but it was for us. In my view Celebrity have raised the stakes in the cruising game with the retreat concept expanding and the Edge Class ships doing the same. Other companies may have to up their game to compete, as we will be back for sure. Celebrity have made cruising edgier (sorry) and really set the standard for this level and type of cruising. Well done, and I certainly hope to be part of that,  (and as the captain would say), True Story!

• Like 5

@ian441672 thank you so much for all your posts - allows me to relive my Apex cruise! For next week, if you let the testers know you are returning to the UK they will do a PCR test so you won’t have to do both the antigen and PCR tests at that point. I’d also remind them at the appointment next week just to be certain. They are all onboard and enjoying the experience! 
Wendy

14 hours ago, ian441672 said:

It’s offered on board, our concierge offered it. I think it was $120 pp plus gratuity. If I see the menu I will take a photo, but it is hard to find as meal is only once a week. 

Holy cat flap!! We will pass ( especially as it’s 🎣 fishy!) !!  

Thanks for your posts and answering our questions! 

Thanks Scots, Wendy and little Britain. 

Negative test. Phew. It’s always a worry!

Confirmed we get a complimentary B2B lunch at Le Petit Chef tomorrow so that’s going to be fun. Wonder how many of us will be there?! L will still be open as usual for embarkation lunch. We meet the retreat hostess at 9am on deck 2 for a new card and photo and then we have to register a credit card as they don’t hold over! Then we have the day to ourselves so we will book Rooftop Garden Grill for next week as the menu does look just what we like. Plus, depending when L doesn’t look that appealing (it is great you can see the whole weeks menus ahead on the app) we will also book Fine Cut, so that’s next weeks dining sorted. We’ll have to do Eden another time, any excuse for another cruise!

Santorini hot and nice to walk and meander along the cobbled small streets of shops and cafes. Great views of the ship from high up too. Then it was champagne and crisps (chips) in the Retreat Lounge, all to ourselves, at 1.30. We know how to live it up! Sat in the lovely oversized comfy white chairs with foot stall sipping and admiring the view from the huge panoramic windows. 

Right, resting in room for final night of week 1. Cocktails, L and Rockumentary, then Eden for a singer we like before time for bed!

Bring on week 2 😊