On board Apex now. Bullet point synopsis and observations!

ian441672

Just now, CanuckCruizer said:

Your Mum does not look 87!  Wow - that is wonderful that you were able to travel in a suite and live it up with your Mum.😀

Thanks for the tip - I forgot that you can't book the Magic Carpet online so will be sure to do it the first day too.

Canuck

My mum says thank you! She honestly comes alive on cruises and I was so glad we could do this one, and in a suite. I always book speciality restaurants as soon as I board - after depositing mum at Cafe al Bacio! - but much easier in The Retreat. Deniza was lovely. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

My mum says thank you! She honestly comes alive on cruises and I was so glad we could do this one, and in a suite. I always book speciality restaurants as soon as I board - after depositing mum at Cafe al Bacio! - but much easier in The Retreat. Deniza was lovely. 

That's great - glad that you enjoyed yourselves.  Oh - is it Deniza or Denisa?  We had a great Concierge on the Solstice, Denisa, she was from Romania & she was younger, say in her early 30's with dirty blond hair - lovely looking girl.  I wonder if it is the same person?

Canuck

1 minute ago, CanuckCruizer said:

That's great - glad that you enjoyed yourselves.  Oh - is it Deniza or Denisa?  We had a great Concierge on the Solstice, Denisa, she was from Romania & she was younger, say in her early 30's with dirty blond hair - lovely looking girl.  I wonder if it is the same person?

Canuck

I’m pretty certain that’s her! Her husband is also onboard.PS it is Denisa - found the birthday card she gave me! 

4 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

I’m pretty certain that’s her! Her husband is also onboard.PS it is Denisa - found the birthday card she gave me! 

Hi Wendy - found a picture - we have  a better picture of her but don't know how to fuzz out other passengers, so posted this one instead.  We don't go till later next year but I guess she could be on when we are, depending on her contract.  Yes, I remember something about her boyfriend or husband - she told us but I can't remember.  Well, you were in good hands with her!

Canuck

2019-09-18_11-29-41 Solstice to Hawaii.JPG

2 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Hi Wendy - found a picture - we have  a better picture of her but don't know how to fuzz out other passengers, so posted this one instead.  We don't go till later next year but I guess she could be on when we are, depending on her contract.  Yes, I remember something about her boyfriend or husband - she told us but I can't remember.  Well, you were in good hands with her!

Canuck

Definitely her! Even though proportionally The Retreat had more guests than the rest of the ship we had amazing service. Though to be honest that was the standard everywhere. 

it seems like the Caribbean is always getting soot on the aft balconies, but all the times I was in the Med, I only remember one time where there was a small amount of soot.  If I could just be on a cruise, I'd be a happy camper soot or no soot.

Thank you, Ian, for all your photos and information.  We have a b2b/TA a year from October on Apex, so I have a long time to wait; SV first and then an S1 corner aft for the TA, but both on deck 11.  Got such a great price for SV that I could not pay over double for a suite because of all the busy port days.

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, wendyam76 said:

Definitely her! Even though proportionally The Retreat had more guests than the rest of the ship we had amazing service. Though to be honest that was the standard everywhere. 

It never ceases to amaze me - how many times we run into cruise staff we have cruised with before!  Hope she is on next year as it would be nice to see her again.

Canuck

• Like 1

Wendy - Forgot to say that when we were on the Solstice - there was another lady, Denisa's Manager, who was from Glasgow.  My Mum was from Glasgow so of course, I twigged on the accent immediately. Don't know if she would be on the Apex too, with Denisa or not.  Can't remember her name...anyways I noticed you are from Scotland as well.😄

Canuck

Oh Canuck - this was my mum’s biggest joy running into past crew! From Anna in the coffee shop to Melissa the Captains Club host.  People always say they are just pretending to remember you - well when they see me the first question is where is your mum!

i didn’t hear any Glaswegian accents - in fact there were very few guests or crew from the UK on our sailing.
yes, we are a couple of hours further north - Aberdeen.  

C555612B-8E5B-4CB8-A319-E74319BB9CE9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

Oh Canuck - this was my mum’s biggest joy running into past crew! From Anna in the coffee shop to Melissa the Captains Club host.  People always say they are just pretending to remember you - well when they see me the first question is where is your mum!

i didn’t hear any Glaswegian accents - in fact there were very few guests or crew from the UK on our sailing.
yes, we are a couple of hours further north - Aberdeen.  

C555612B-8E5B-4CB8-A319-E74319BB9CE9.jpeg

Wendy - I have been to Aberdeen a few times as I used to Highland Dance - we have many friends from Aberdeen.  That is a whole different language almost! 😁 I filled a whole suitcase with shoes & boots - I think (at the time, late 70's & early 80's) Aberdeen was like, the shoe capital of the world - never have seen so many shoe stores in my life! ha  My Dad was not impressed with my Mum & I, that was for sure! haha.

I am pretty sure that Melissa was our Captain's Club host on our cruise too - recognize her in the picture.  Yes - we have been recognized (many years after the fact) by crew members as well.  We once saw the same bartender on 4 or 5 different ships, kept bumping into him everywhere - ha.  It is a "small cruising world".

Canuck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Wendy - I have been to Aberdeen a few times as I used to Highland Dance - we have many friends from Aberdeen.  That is a whole different language almost! 😁 I filled a whole suitcase with shoes & boots - I think (at the time, late 70's & early 80's) Aberdeen was like, the shoe capital of the world - never have seen so many shoe stores in my life! ha  My Dad was not impressed with my Mum & I, that was for sure! haha.

I am pretty sure that Melissa was our Captain's Club host on our cruise too - recognize her in the picture.  Yes - we have been recognized (many years after the fact) by crew members as well.  We once saw the same bartender on 4 or 5 different ships, kept bumping into him everywhere - ha.  It is a "small cruising world".

Canuck

Oh my goodness - small world! I can speak Doric but don’t tend to - was brought up to speak “proper”!!

some shoe shops survive - but not as many. My school does a lot of Highland Dancing but that is not one of my skills.  And yes barmen tend to remember us as I always ask for half shots in martinis/cocktails - half the alcohol so I can enjoy them! 

Oh my goodness - small world! I can speak Doric but don’t tend to - was brought up to speak “proper”!!

some shoe shops survive - but not as many. My school does a lot of Highland Dancing but that is not one of my skills.  And yes barmen tend to remember us as I always ask for half shots in martinis/cocktails - half the alcohol so I can enjoy them! 

Wendy - that is bizarre as I ALWAYS ask for 1/2 the booze too as I like the juice flavour - don't like to taste the alcohol - ha.  The bartenders usually scowl at me at first (at the Martini Bar especially) but I persevere and get them "programmed" for my drinks.  Most of them think I am joking when I ask for 1/2 the alcohol & most think I mean I want more!  I have to really emphasize that I really mean HALF!  I usually get an extra glass of cranberry or something to add if they put too much booze in it.  That is so funny as I thought I was the only one!

I remember the first time we went to visit some friends my Mum met - they were from Aberdeen.  My Dad was Canadian so it was hysterical - he needed a translator.  I could understand them fine (I guess being raised by my Mum etc) but poor Dad just kept staring at everyone having the conversations.  It took him a long time to know what on earth they were saying.  

I guess we have gone off topic and I apologize.

Better get back to the Apex!

Canuck

5 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Wendy - that is bizarre as I ALWAYS ask for 1/2 the booze too as I like the juice flavour - don't like to taste the alcohol - ha.  The bartenders usually scowl at me at first (at the Martini Bar especially) but I persevere and get them "programmed" for my drinks.  Most of them think I am joking when I ask for 1/2 the alcohol & most think I mean I want more!  I have to really emphasize that I really mean HALF!  I usually get an extra glass of cranberry or something to add if they put too much booze in it.  That is so funny as I thought I was the only one!

I remember the first time we went to visit some friends my Mum met - they were from Aberdeen.  My Dad was Canadian so it was hysterical - he needed a translator.  I could understand them fine (I guess being raised by my Mum etc) but poor Dad just kept staring at everyone having the conversations.  It took him a long time to know what on earth they were saying.  

I guess we have gone off topic and I apologize.

Better get back to the Apex!

Canuck

oh my goodness - even smaller world! Right to get it back on topic the Apex martini bar crew are the best ever and once they stopped laughing at me always made my drink perfectly and even made special ones for me. The last night I handed over some extra tips and they were practically in tears - and I’m only speaking $10/20 - I wished I’d thought earlier to keep ordering drinks as they would have got more built in tips. 

oh my goodness - even smaller world! Right to get it back on topic the Apex martini bar crew are the best ever and once they stopped laughing at me always made my drink perfectly and even made special ones for me. The last night I handed over some extra tips and they were practically in tears - and I’m only speaking $10/20 - I wished I’d thought earlier to keep ordering drinks as they would have got more built in tips. 

Wendy - OMG - we love the Martini Bar but yes, they laugh at me too.  And my DH doesn't drink hard liquor - only beer & wine - so that is why they remember us too! ha  I usually order a "light" Cosmo or a "light" lemon drop & they shake their heads.  I guess they figure "what's the point" hahaha.

Canuck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Thanks Ian

We're booked B2B in Sky Suite / Retreat from August 28th to September 11th.

It actually sounds like The Retreat will have more passengers per square foot than the rest of the ship has lol

Agree that repeating the same 7N menu in "Lume" isn't too good, but I'm sure we'll cope lol 

Do me a favour if you get chance - can you ask in "Lume" if they can do any authentic curries please (hey I am British so you'll know we can't be too far from any type of curry lol)

Oh yes - can you also confirm which ports had the 1hr time shifts please - some excursions are very early so we wouldn't want a 7.30am tour only to find we were losing an hours sleep the night before.

Cheers

Hello, 

we are also in a sky suite on 28th August cruise.

counting the days to we cruise

Irene

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ian - glad that your Turnaround was seamless - that is always nice.  Hope you enjoy your lunch in Le Bistro and the next week's cruise.  Thank you again for doing your great report - really enjoyed it.  Hope you & your wife have safe travels.

Cheers,

Canuck

Thanks Canuck. Glad to share and glad you enjoyed my trip. Lunch was good, half a dozen couples on an invitation only basis, all nice.

You will need a full PCR test for UK entry, and they reminded me of that fact! 

Magic Carpet was windy, not overly so on our day, warm breeze which we enjoyed. We had a drink up there one day and was quite windy, so depends on day I guess. 

Safe travels to all. 

2 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Thanks Canuck. Glad to share and glad you enjoyed my trip. Lunch was good, half a dozen couples on an invitation only basis, all nice.

Magic Carpet was windy, not overly so on our day, warm breeze which we enjoyed. We had a drink up there one day and was quite windy, so depends on day I guess. 

Safe travels to all. 

Ian - glad you enjoyed the lunch!

I forgot to quote you when I posted before about the Greece warnings for essential travel only so don't know if you saw it.  Wondering if the ship is telling you anything about not being able to access ports or not?  Certainly hope not for your sake. 

Hope you have a wonderful time and many thanks again!

Cheers,

Canuck

3 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Canuck

She was our Retreat concierge. Fantastic lady, so helpful, friendly, always remembers our name and good fun!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ian - glad you enjoyed the lunch!

I forgot to quote you when I posted before about the Greece warnings for essential travel only so don't know if you saw it.  Wondering if the ship is telling you anything about not being able to access ports or not?  Certainly hope not for your sake. 

Hope you have a wonderful time and many thanks again!

Cheers,

Canuck

Thanks, I did see that. All tours running as normal (at moment) and cannot still do Mykonos on our own. Santorini and Oia tomorrow all going ahead, but things are changing everyday….

1 minute ago, ian441672 said:

Thanks, I did see that. All tours running as normal (at moment) and cannot still do Mykonos on our own. Santorini and Oia tomorrow all going ahead, but things are changing everyday….

That's great - hope it stays that way for you.  Enjoy Santorini!😎

Canuck

18 hours ago, ian441672 said:

Safe travels to all. 

Hi,

I see you say that you need a PCR test for U.K. entry.

According to U.K. government website it can be PCR or lateral flow 

This could include tests such as:

• a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device

It’s your responsibility to ensure the test meets the minimum standards for sensitivity, specificity and viral load details. You must check with your test provider that it meets those standards.

we are on APEX 28th August , then spending a week on Greek mainland. The hotel we are staying in will do the test for us and we have booked a lateral flow test.

Who told you that a PCR test needed? I thought it was on day 2 after return you need a PCR test.

Irene

Travel Home

An antigen test is required for re-entry into Greece.  The test will be administered free of charge by our medical staff on board prior to debarkation. Additional home country test requirements will be administered onboard free of charge. Learn more once onboard. 

Love following this thread…… 

trying not to get anxious with the constant changes to itineraries and restrictions- So thankful to be able to sail again! Can anyone share what the protocol is now if you have a positive antigen test upon debarkation in Greece? Thank you!!