Has anyone used a wireless router in your stateroom?

Muechie

Curious if anyone has been successful in using a wireless router inside stateroom in conjunction with your purchased wireless internet package? Or, is it even allowed?

We will have (on board Zuiderdam) the premier unlimited WiFi plan. Need reliable internet access for more than just emails. 

Also interested in using the USB and HDMI ports on the stateroom TV. Do they normally have any accessible ports for connecting a laptop or FireTV?

Very unfamiliar with the onboard setup so figured I throw out theses questions for the seasoned cruisers.  Thank you

16 minutes ago, Muechie said:

Curious if anyone has been successful in using a wireless router inside stateroom in conjunction with your purchased wireless internet package? Or, is it even allowed?

We will have (on board Zuiderdam) the premier unlimited WiFi plan. Need reliable internet access for more than just emails. 

Also interested in using the USB and HDMI ports on the stateroom TV. Do they normally have any accessible ports for connecting a laptop or FireTV?

Very unfamiliar with the onboard setup so figured I throw out theses questions for the seasoned cruisers.  Thank you

Typically, the USB and HDMI ports on the TV are inactivated.  If you bring a universal remote, and want to scroll though all the TV codes, you could unlock the ports.

As for a router, each device using wifi needs to log in, so I'm not sure that a router has that function, to be able to log into the internet.

As cruiserbruce says, the real problem is limited bandwidth in the ship's system, and also the latency of the satellite communication.

• Like 3

I have done it for a couple of cruises in the past and it worked well, though as mentioned ultimately the speed is determined by the available ship bandwidth. The reason we used it was so that we could connect multiple devices at the same time using one plan (ship only sees the travel router logged in).  If you do a search you will find some very helpful how-to posts on CC.  Now that multiple wifi plans are “thrown in” for most cruise packages I doubt we will bother again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sleslie said:

I have done it for a couple of cruises in the past and it worked well, though as mentioned ultimately the speed is determined by the available ship bandwidth. The reason we used it was so that we could connect multiple devices at the same time using one plan (ship only sees the travel router logged in).  If you do a search you will find some very helpful how-to posts on CC.  Now that multiple wifi plans are “thrown in” for most cruise packages I doubt we will bother again.

Thank you, this is valuable information. That was our original idea. ❤️

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Typically, the USB and HDMI ports on the TV are inactivated.  If you bring a universal remote, and want to scroll though all the TV codes, you could unlock the ports.

As for a router, each device using wifi needs to log in, so I'm not sure that a router has that function, to be able to log into the internet.

As cruiserbruce says, the real problem is limited bandwidth in the ship's system, and also the latency of the satellite communication.

Excellent tips. Love the idea of a universal remote 😊. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I doubt the wireless router would assure you of reliable internet, because the weak link is the pipe between the ship and the satellite. 

Yes, you make a great point. We were looking to have both of us online simultaneously but that might not work as we envision. Thank you 🙏 

7 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

Is the internet stronger if you go into some of the public areas rather than using in your stateroom?

Yes, sometimes. Lisa  (Laffnvegas) has mentioned in her “Live From” thread (first Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam) the variance, going out to her hallway to send since it was stronger than in the stateroom. I think she’s getting the best signal from the Crows Nest lounge up top.

I think the time of day is the biggest factor. I travel with a service dog who awakens me at 5 a.m. at home and is used to being fed then. Sleeping late on vacation isn’t an option. So I get a great signal until the rest of the ship starts waking up!

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Muechie said:

Since they moved the TVs to wall mounts, the external ports have been essentially inaccessible. We travel with a set of wireless headphones for TV. The headphone transmitter is plugged into the headphone jack of the TV. On our last cruise I was able to snake my arm behind the TV and with the use of a 90 degree adapter could plug in to the TV, all by feel. The USB ports were in the back and they were too close to the wall to allow anything to be plugged into them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

Since they moved the TVs to wall mounts, the external ports have been essentially inaccessible. We travel with a set of wireless headphones for TV. The headphone transmitter is plugged into the headphone jack of the TV. On our last cruise I was able to snake my arm behind the TV and with the use of a 90 degree adapter could plug in to the TV, all by feel. The USB ports were in the back and they were too close to the wall to allow anything to be plugged into them.

Very good to know. That would mean they don’t have a 😯 Bluetooth option on the TVs 😔 that’s a bummer. Thank you @IPB4IGO I really appreciate your information. 

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Yes, sometimes. Lisa  (Laffnvegas) has mentioned in her “Live From” thread (first Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam) the variance, going out to her hallway to send since it was stronger than in the stateroom. I think she’s getting the best signal from the Crows Nest lounge up top.

I think the time of day is the biggest factor. I travel with a service dog who awakens me at 5 a.m. at home and is used to being fed then. Sleeping late on vacation isn’t an option. So I get a great signal until the rest of the ship starts waking up!

Sounds like it pays to be an early riser @Caribbean Chris  I will remember this when I’m trying to send pics back home 😉

23 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I doubt the wireless router would assure you of reliable internet, because the weak link is the pipe between the ship and the satellite. 

Thank you, I appreciate your information. It makes total sense. I’m leaning away from the expense of a wireless router. Thanks again ☺️

6 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Just another example of people trying to game the system....SMH.... if you want to use multiple devices, buy a plan that allows it!

Thank you for your suggestion and I appreciate your input. ☺️ I couldn’t agree more. ❤️

On 7/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Muechie said:

Here is an excerpt from my blog FAQ section

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/2018-world-cruise-faq/

If you only have one internet plan – you will only be allowed to log into the internet with one device at a time.    If you attempt to log in to a second device, you will be asked if you want to log out of the other device first and then log in with your current device.

If you would like to share the same internet connection with someone else, you can do this in a couple of ways, as long as you are in close to the other person.

With your laptop – you can log into your account, and then use your laptop to create a mobile hotspot you can use to connect your phone or tablet to the same internet signal currently being used by your laptop

HERE is a link to a good tutorial for how to create these hotspots on a MAC, iPhone or Android in addition to Windows.

Here is how you do this for Windows 10 devices

Go to your network settings – you can get there by typing in “Mobile Hotspot” into the search box on the lower left-hand corner of your screen.   A menu will pop up “Change Mobile Hotspot Settings”  – highlight that and press enter – you will then be directed to the mobile hotspot set up screen.   Turn on the Mobile Hot Spot by tapping on the toggle switch.   Then you can rename the hotspot and change the password to something easier to remember.    Now you will be able to log on to your Mobile Hot Spot from your other devices

If you are in a place that requires you to buy separate login for each device and you don’t have a laptop available to create a mobile hotspot you can use a TRAVEL ROUTER to create a mobile hotspot you can share.    It works like this.   You logon the router with your phone, and then you use the router to logon to the WIFI access your purchased.    Once you make this connection, the TRAVEL ROUTER will receive an rebroadcast the WIFI connection.    Once you have established your mobile hotspot, then all of your devices can logon to this new hotpost you created.

Here are a couple of websites that discuss the various options available for travel routers.  

Guide to the Best Portable Mini Travel WiFi Router in 2021 (nerdtechy.com)

The 7 Best Wireless Travel Routers of 2021 (lifewire.com)

5 Best Travel Routers – Apr. 2021 – BestReviews

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Muechie said:

Excellent tips. Love the idea of a universal remote 😊. Thank you. 

We never found the HDMI ports to be accesible on our HAL ships.    We travel with one of this which has helped on other ships that had available HDMI but were hard to reach.    Search for HDMI angle adapter.   They make them for USB as well.   

Sometimes  you can kluge up something using the DVD player if still available.....Thats why I always carry a few extra cables and adapters.  You never know what configuration you may run into.  

Good idea from @chengkp75 on the remote

image.png.f6a2ad3291161af45fb6832960093cb4.png

image.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Muechie said:

Sounds like it pays to be an early riser @Caribbean Chris  I will remember this when I’m trying to send pics back home 😉

The bandwidth issue is due to the fact that everyone is on the same signal.  The ship is online 24/7 to the home office, with the POS registers, pax accounts, the maintenance and repair program, and even the waste management system is online realtime to the head office.  So, in the hours before most supervisors start work (before 6am), there will be more bandwidth.  Pax internet is basically whatever is left over of the bandwidth after ship's business is done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The bandwidth issue is due to the fact that everyone is on the same signal.  The ship is online 24/7 to the home office, with the POS registers, pax accounts, the maintenance and repair program, and even the waste management system is online realtime to the head office.  So, in the hours before most supervisors start work (before 6am), there will be more bandwidth.  Pax internet is basically whatever is left over of the bandwidth after ship's business is done.

Thank you, this is an important fact to know and I can use this on any cruise. 😊

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We never found the HDMI ports to be accesible on our HAL ships.    We travel with one of this which has helped on other ships that had available HDMI but were hard to reach.    Search for HDMI angle adapter.   They make them for USB as well.   

Sometimes  you can kluge up something using the DVD player if still available.....Thats why I always carry a few extra cables and adapters.  You never know what configuration you may run into.  

Good idea from @chengkp75 on the remote

image.png.f6a2ad3291161af45fb6832960093cb4.png

image.png

Wow great tip @The-Inside-Cabin  I can see how this would be very helpful. I’m definitely adding this to my list of tips and electronic items to bring. Thank you 🙏 

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is an excerpt from my blog FAQ section

https://www.theinsidecabin.com/2018-world-cruise-faq/

If you only have one internet plan – you will only be allowed to log into the internet with one device at a time.    If you attempt to log in to a second device, you will be asked if you want to log out of the other device first and then log in with your current device.

If you would like to share the same internet connection with someone else, you can do this in a couple of ways, as long as you are in close to the other person.

With your laptop – you can log into your account, and then use your laptop to create a mobile hotspot you can use to connect your phone or tablet to the same internet signal currently being used by your laptop

HERE is a link to a good tutorial for how to create these hotspots on a MAC, iPhone or Android in addition to Windows.

Here is how you do this for Windows 10 devices

Go to your network settings – you can get there by typing in “Mobile Hotspot” into the search box on the lower left-hand corner of your screen.   A menu will pop up “Change Mobile Hotspot Settings”  – highlight that and press enter – you will then be directed to the mobile hotspot set up screen.   Turn on the Mobile Hot Spot by tapping on the toggle switch.   Then you can rename the hotspot and change the password to something easier to remember.    Now you will be able to log on to your Mobile Hot Spot from your other devices

If you are in a place that requires you to buy separate login for each device and you don’t have a laptop available to create a mobile hotspot you can use a TRAVEL ROUTER to create a mobile hotspot you can share.    It works like this.   You logon the router with your phone, and then you use the router to logon to the WIFI access your purchased.    Once you make this connection, the TRAVEL ROUTER will receive an rebroadcast the WIFI connection.    Once you have established your mobile hotspot, then all of your devices can logon to this new hotpost you created.

Here are a couple of websites that discuss the various options available for travel routers.  

Guide to the Best Portable Mini Travel WiFi Router in 2021 (nerdtechy.com)

The 7 Best Wireless Travel Routers of 2021 (lifewire.com)

5 Best Travel Routers – Apr. 2021 – BestReviews

This information is travel gold. Thank you again @The-Inside-CabinI really appreciate this.