Tips for reasonable one way flight back from Rome to US for a TA cruise

52 minutes ago, SRF said:

My go to is Kayak.

I just ran it for the middle of April, and as others have said, cheapest is TAP.  As long as $603 each.  Two stops, Lisbon and Newark.

If you want one stop only, bests is Aer Lingus for $828, with one stop in Dublin.

Delta/Air France/KLM is in the mid $700 range with 1 or two stops.

If we stopped in Dublin I would want to stay there a couple of days….love it there.

3 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

Just checked flights from FLL to Rome and the prices are around 600pp one way in April. You can also go to London or Frankfurt and maybe find cheaper flights. You might be best to buy insurance if you dont use Air2 sea. It is too complicated right now as the airlines do not care about the reasons for the flight. They just sell A seat and the rest is up to you.

This is similar to my advice, although London is sometimes a better deal I would check Paris , and catch a overnight train to rome

I would suggest Air2Sea also just because you can book it now and then cancel if prices drop.  My TA ends up in Barcelona but I am booking airfare from London just because there are so many flights back to the US.  I have noticed that airfare in April is super expensive now. I am betting on it coming down in price.

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Next April we are going on our first TA on Odyssey from Ft Lauderdale to Rome. I’ve started checking the one way return flights on ChoiceAir and the prices are very high, more than our JS fares!  Do any of you experienced TA travelers have any tips, tricks or ideas on how to find a reasonably priced one way flight home? Thanks.

You are searching for a flight on Sunday, go to Monday and the prices on TAP drops to around $700 pp on choice air.. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

So you are suggesting to add another leg onto the journey and that lowers the price? I know you can book a return and not use the return ticket and that is way cheaper also. Probably different to And from Europe though.

instead of booking one way on either end of a TA check out Multicity. i know for example, on kayak flight booking site if you click on round trip option there is a drop-down list that includes multi city. First flight i can choose flights to port to begin my TA, second is return from end of cruise to home airport. It counts like a round trip but the option to fly from another airport than original destination. 

And yes you can do it to/from Europe.

Edited by herbanrenewal

Set up an alert with any website that offers alerting features. I personally use airfarewatchdog. 

When the fare drops to a price you feel comfortable with you can go ahead and purchase ticket.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

You are searching for a flight on Sunday, go to Monday and the prices on TAP drops to around $700 pp on choice air.. 

This is quite normal.

Mid week fares are much cheaper.  Tourists fly on weekends.  Business people fly out on Sun and home on Fri. 

So Mon - Thurs fares are cheaper.

One time we went to Hong Kong.  Mid week was $3200 round trip business class.  The same week, but traveling on the weekend was over $10,000.

7 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

instead of booking one way on either end of a TA check out Multicity. i know for example, on kayak flight booking site if you click on round trip option there is a drop-down list that includes multi city.

That MAY not give you good fares.

I was pricing flights to Barbados and back from Houston for a Grandeur repo next April.

Multi city on American Airline priced out at $1700.   One way to BGI was $178 and one way back from Houston was $195, both on American.  Delta and United are $167 from IAH to home.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

We always have used Air2Sea (choiceair) but their prices are very high now. Maybe they’ll come down?

Airfare on all websites is showing prices same or higher than choice air.   The cheapest flight option is on TAP for an economy seat under $800 pp.   If you want premium economy or higher google flights is showing the cheapest as Air Canada for $2635 pp

You can always book a flight with choice air/air2sea now and change it or reprice it at any time up till final payment is due 90days out.     They have no charged us to change a flight or a reprice a flight.   

• Like 1

I think you should wait 2-3 months before you book a flight.  Right now there aren't as many flight options because not as many people are travelling internationally, therefore fewer flight options.

By late Sept there will be more changes due to covid, hopefully positive changes, with more countries opening up, more people travelling and the airlines will offer more flights.

In the meantime, you can play around with various city pairs.  Maybe it would be cheaper to fly from Rome to NYC/ Boston/Atlanta, then a flight to Orlando.  Or maybe Rome to London to Orlando. 

Have fun with your research !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

The only thing I worry about is if you are questioned by immigration, you have both a.   T A and a flight back. That would be very confusing for the agent.

I've done this several times and never had a problem. Most Immigration officers can look at dates and easily see your plans for travel. Just as you may travel from country to country within an itinerary. Just think of this flight plan as another part of your itinerary.

For someone like me needing to return to Delaware from Florida after the TA it just doesn't make sense to book two separate one way trips (1 -to Europe then 2 -back home) when its perfectly legal and a readily available option to do it as a multicity. If you like you could use a travel agent - they have no problem doing it.

When we did our Galveston to Venice cruise (B2B), we got round trip tickets from Venice to Houston. The round trip price was less than the one way from Venice to Houston. Just didn't show up for the return flight to Venice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

When we did our Galveston to Venice cruise (B2B), we got round trip tickets from Venice to Houston. The round trip price was less than the one way from Venice to Houston. Just didn't show up for the return flight to Venice.

Never know unless you check. Flights were lot higher 2+ decades ago I do 2 different RT on 2 different Airlines. Out on each of them for a leg changing planes and same on way back. Saved me $300 plus each time.

18 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

it just doesn't make sense to book two separate one way trips (1 -to Europe then 2 -back home) when its perfectly legal and a readily available option to do it as a multicity. If you like you could use a travel agent - they have no problem doing it.

Unless it 4 times as much to book as multi city versus two one ways. 😄

22 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I think you should wait 2-3 months before you book a flight.  Right now there aren't as many flight options because not as many people are travelling internationally, therefore fewer flight options.

By late Sept there will be more changes due to covid, hopefully positive changes, with more countries opening up, more people travelling and the airlines will offer more flights.

In the meantime, you can play around with various city pairs.  Maybe it would be cheaper to fly from Rome to NYC/ Boston/Atlanta, then a flight to Orlando.  Or maybe Rome to London to Orlando. 

Have fun with your research !

Thanks, that’s what I plan to do now, all your options are good. 
I’ll keep checking but not book for a few months. 

19 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I've done this several times and never had a problem. Most Immigration officers can look at dates and easily see your plans for travel. Just as you may travel from country to country within an itinerary. Just think of this flight plan as another part of your itinerary.

For someone like me needing to return to Delaware from Florida after the TA it just doesn't make sense to book two separate one way trips (1 -to Europe then 2 -back home) when its perfectly legal and a readily available option to do it as a multicity. If you like you could use a travel agent - they have no problem doing it.

Can I do this trip of booking thru Air2sea? Or did you book this directly with your airline?

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Can I do this trip of booking thru Air2sea? Or did you book this directly with your airline?

whatever is cheaper - i usually check several options. this year's trip i booked thru American. 2 years ago thru travelocity.

Air2Sea (Choice Air) is typically published air so shouldn't be any different from what you can find on any search engine or the airlines own website. Sometimes there's a contracted fare that's less expensive but not sure where that's at these days with lines just now returning to service. So, ALL airfare is high right now.

22 minutes ago, floatn said:

Air2Sea (Choice Air) is typically published air so shouldn't be any different from what you can find on any search engine or the airlines own website. Sometimes there's a contracted fare that's less expensive but not sure where that's at these days with lines just now returning to service. So, ALL airfare is high right now.

Yes now during Covid/shutdowns different but several times 2017-2019 found TA Air cheaper on Air2Sea over same Airline site by $1-2000. Agree, high and limited number Flights over Pre-CV times

I just booked Air2sea and I am totally confused as to how this actually works. I see so much conflicting info that it becomes very confusing. This is the first time I have used them. I will give you my details.

booked Van to LAX on a refundable with fees. Presumably that means if I cancel. The fare direct with the airline was cheaper than the price from Air2sea because they book fares that are refundable. Presumably if the cruise is cancelled. Now I assume we pay at final payment date. What happens if the cruise is cancelled, is it an auto refund? What happens if the airline cancels the flight and they have to switch you to another? Are you price protected? I also see people

saying if the price drops you can cancel and rebook. Its all over the map. Maybe I am not understanding its intentions. Please give me more concise info to help my lack of understanding. Thanks.

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

I just booked Air2sea and I am totally confused as to how this actually works. I see so much conflicting info that it becomes very confusing. This is the first time I have used them. I will give you my details.

booked Van to LAX on a refundable with fees. Presumably that means if I cancel. The fare direct with the airline was cheaper than the price from Air2sea because they book fares that are refundable. Presumably if the cruise is cancelled. Now I assume we pay at final payment date. What happens if the cruise is cancelled, is it an auto refund? What happens if the airline cancels the flight and they have to switch you to another? Are you price protected? I also see people

saying if the price drops you can cancel and rebook. Its all over the map. Maybe I am not understanding its intentions. Please give me more concise info to help my lack of understanding. Thanks.

we had an Arctic cruise cancelled last year and we got the Air2sea refunded along with the cruise fare.

37 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have heard that if you purchase a round trip ticket and do not use the return portion, the airline may fine you or bar you from traveling with them again.

Ive heard that too, but I don’t know for sure