PASSPORT EMERGENCY 🤬😡

Penguin11

OMG - I screwed up… i thought our passports expire in 2022.  THEY BOTH ARE NOW EXPIRED.  Anyone know what to do?

can we get expedited passports if we are willing to pay for the service? HELP ME BEFORE MY WIFE KILLS ME….

You have up to 5 years on an expired passport to renew without having to start from scratch. The state department is running really far behind and even expedited passport renewals are taking 18 weeks or longer. Get your photos and fill out the form online and print and get your cashier checks and get it going.

Just as an FYI, most Carnival cruises you do not HAVE to have a passport.

I drivers license and certified birth certificate is enough for you to sail. 

HIGHLY recommend a passport, but it may not be 100% needed.  Just to ease the stress a bit

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Penguin11 said:

Aug 22

Yep, I would plan on drivers license and certified copy of birth certificate (and a copy of marriage license to be safe since your birth certificate name is different than you "married" name if that applies to you)

1 hour ago, Penguin11 said:

can we get expedited passports if we are willing to pay for the service?

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

For an extra $799? I'm thinking not.

He said he's willing to pay for it and hide it from his wife to stay out of the cruise ship doghouse

• Like 1

As long as you begin and end in the same US port (known as a closed loop cruise), you can travel with a certified copy of your birth certificate and driver's license.  If your wife's last name changed due to marriage, bring a copy of your marriage certificate too.

Passports are recommended, but we've traveled this way with no issue.  Enjoy your cruise!

Edit:

Here's the link to show your wife that you've got it covered.  

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Edited by Happy0810

44 minutes ago, Penguin11 said:

Found the birth certificate. Just need a copy of the marriage license. Unfortunately it was destroyed years ago by water damage. Never had a need to replace it. 

Where do you live? You have time! Try your local county’s website. I’m in Illinois and you can apply for birth certificates and marriage license copies online and have them mailed to you. Super convenient if you’re not local to the office. 
You can cruise without the passport, you’ll need a legit birth certificate, the one with the state seal from the government. Also a photo ID. Someone will have to inform you about the Real ID, I don’t know if one of those are required. 
Honestly, I’m not sure what an expedited passport is costing these days, but I would say it’s not even probably a guarantee you’ll get it, they’re extremely backed up. 

Most all documents can be requested online now, and most have the ability to pay for overnight service, at a increased cost. 

My passport was due to expire in November, so I sent it off for renewal on May 24th, and still haven't gotten it back yet. They cashed the check over a month ago Since I was renewing my passport card also, I had to send them both in. Luckily I have a copy of my birth certificate and marriage license as a backup. 

Good luck, at least you found out now, and not on your way to the port!

1 hour ago, Penguin11 said:

Found the birth certificate. Just need a copy of the marriage license. Unfortunately it was destroyed years ago by water damage. Never had a need to replace it. 

Generally speaking, (at least checking in in Seattle) - if your wife's birth certificate shows the same first & middle name (or her maiden name as her current middle name) and the same birth date (on both the birth certificate & driver's license), then she would be good to go.  I can only speak for cruises from Seattle to Alaska.

Good luck!

We applied for my daughters passport in early May and are still waiting for it… we cancelled our cruise due to kids COVID restrictions and now it looks like our backup Mexico trip is in jeopardy thanks to the passport delays… oye!

7 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Generally speaking, (at least checking in in Seattle) - if your wife's birth certificate shows the same first & middle name (or her maiden name as her current middle name) and the same birth date (on both the birth certificate & driver's license), then she would be good to go.  I can only speak for cruises from Seattle to Alaska.

Good luck!

That may work, but would you really want to count on it working?

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That may work, but would you really want to count on it working?

If it's all they have then why not? I'd rather show up with that then with nothing. Before we got passports we always brought the marriage license but were never asked for it. Can they ask for it? Yes. Will they? That's a big maybe and it doesn't appear to happen very often at all. 

OP if you want to remove all angst and live near a passport issuing agency (a facility run by the State Department) you could make an appointment and have a faster turnaround time since the passport is produced on site. It will cost more, but nowhere near $799.

Edited by sparks1093