Unvaccinated Carnival Mardi Gras Guests Must Remain On Board in San Juan

ShaniBell

This came up on one of the Facebook groups for the 7/31 sailing.  One of the passengers travelling with an unvaccinated minor received an email from Carnival letting them know they would not be allowed off the ship in San Juan.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/unvaccinated-carnival-mardi-gras-guests-must-remain-on-board-in-san-juan/53824

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

Not surprising.  Big reason we changed our cruise from November 2021 to June 2022.

Agreed, not surprising at all considering it happened on prior cruises with other ports. 

Changing your dates was probably a wise thing to do.  With what we all pay to cruise I wouldn't want to be subject to a limited experience at full cost.  Our DD is 14 and vaccinated.  Had she not been, we would have likely looked at other options for travel this summer as disappointing as that would have been.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShaniBell said:

Agreed, not surprising at all considering it happened on prior cruises with other ports. 

Changing your dates was probably a wise thing to do.  With what we all pay to cruise I wouldn't want to be subject to a limited experience at full cost.  Our DD is 14 and vaccinated.  Had she not been, we would have likely looked at other options for travel this summer as disappointing as that would have been.

Rebooking would have cost you thousands more as well.  It cost us thousands more to move our cruise - same ship and itinerary and cabin type.  So it is a tough decision for a lot of people.

Cruising while unvaccinated will have limitations and restrictions. People might not even find out some of the restrictions until the last minute. It doesn’t seem worth it to me.  There are many other ways to vacation.  

And now it’s possible that masks will be back for everyone.  We are vaccinated, but I now wish I had just rebooked our August cruise for next year. The ports seem to require masks for everyone. Who knows if the CDC will go back to requiring them for everyone on the ship again too.

I would not cruise with an unvaccinated person this year. Between mandatory masks, bubble tours, multiple covid tests, and last minute changes to even being able to get off of the ship at the ports, it doesn’t seem worth it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would not cruise with an unvaccinated person this year. Between mandatory masks, bubble tours, multiple covid tests, and last minute changes to even being able to get off of the ship at the ports, it doesn’t seem worth it.

After reading a post on another thread about a family being quarantined after positive testing following a bubble cruise, it can certainly be a risk to sail and definitely lead to additional expenses.  Seems the riskiest part is getting off in the ports - for both vaccinated and unvaccinated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

After reading a post on another thread about a family being quarantined after positive testing following a bubble cruise, it can certainly be a risk to sail and definitely lead to additional expenses.  Seems the riskiest part is getting off in the ports - for both vaccinated and unvaccinated.

I wouldn't travel with an unvaccinated person either due to the risks and inconveniences. However, on some cruises I choose to skip a port day and enjoy having the ship all to myself for a few hours. It is not the same and it's understandable that this can be disappointing as the majority of guests do get off at every port, but they can still have a fun day on board and enjoy the pools without any crowds or chair hogs.

• Like 1

Hopefully Carnival keeps as many unvaccinated people from getting on their ships where they don’t have to worry about them getting off as well ….. Hope the restrictions stay in place for a long time for the safety of passengers, crew, and the ports that are visited. Nobody wants unvaccinated adults around the cruise industry right now and for the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

I have no idea where/when we contracted covid.  The ship rules are very lax, my kids always wear masks indoors but I can not say that is the norm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

I have no idea where/when we contracted covid.  The ship rules are very lax, my kids always wear masks indoors but I can not say that is the norm. 

Air travel, maybe?  That's the other piece of the darn puzzle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Sounds like the cruise lines are going to go with masks indoors soon.  It is the upward trend right now with going back to masks indoors.  

i don’t see anything wrong with that. i don’t want the cruise industry to shut down

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Sounds like the cruise lines are going to go with masks indoors soon.  It is the upward trend right now with going back to masks indoors.  

If they do that they are going to lose quite a few vaccinated cruisers.  Not going to wear a mask on my 3 cruises I have booked between now and the end of January.  I'll just cancel and do something else if they go there.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, vacruisin said:

If they do that they are going to lose quite a few vaccinated cruisers.  Not going to wear a mask on my 3 cruises I have booked between now and the end of January.  I'll just cancel and do something else if they go there.

They won't have a choice.  People need to do what they need to do.  Businesses need to do what they need to do.  There are many options.  Disney parks just implemented masks indoors again and so are work places so it is trending.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

That's what I am thinking too.  This is a deal breaker for my husband and I may just have to look into rebooking.  It's bad enough that we are going to skip excursions because of the mask mandates at the ports, but now we may not even be able to enjoy the ship.  I wish I had rebooked for next year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vacruisin said:

I agree.  Now that I haven't had to wear a mask, I will avoid every place where it is required and that includes cruise ships (if that is going to be the case).  Thankfully, my airline tickets are on SW so I can easily reschedule.  Even if I lose my $600 rebooking OBC it will be worth rebooking to next year if I have to do it. My cruise is in a little over three weeks.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

That's what I am thinking too.  This is a deal breaker for my husband and I may just have to look into rebooking.  It's bad enough that we are going to skip excursions because of the mask mandates at the ports, but now we may not even be able to enjoy the ship.  I wish I had rebooked for next year.

Don't worry about that just yet.  With the 95% vaccination requirement cruise ships will not fall into the "hot spots" category that is mentioned for re-implementing mask mandates.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vacruisin said:

Don't worry about that just yet.  With the 95% vaccination requirement cruise ships will not fall into the "hot spots" category that is mentioned for re-implementing mask mandates.

At one time, the CDC was going to require everyone to wear masks on the ship.  They changed it after an uproar, but I can see them changing it back in a heartbeat.  The cruise lines will not have a choice since the ships are viewed as mass transit and the CDC can require masks at all times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  Now that I haven't had to wear a mask, I will avoid every place where it is required and that includes cruise ships (if that is going to be the case).  Thankfully, my airline tickets are on SW so I can easily reschedule.  Even if I lose my $600 rebooking OBC it will be worth rebooking to next year if I have to do it. My cruise is in a little over three weeks.

Yes, mask wearing for anything but the shortest amount of time comes as a shock to your system after you have become used to not wearing one.

We recently had a land vacation in Boston. Having to wear a mask in the airport, the plane, the subway terminal, the subway, a bus (to and fro Cape Cod), and some attractions was not a pleasant experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

I don't think so.  With the CDC getting hammered for their CSO in Florida right now, the last thing they would want is to make it more strict.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I don't think so.  With the CDC getting hammered for their CSO in Florida right now, the last thing they would want is to make it more strict.

They will do what is necessary to keep an outbreak from happening on ships. They know they cannot afford to be shut down entirely again.

The Florida lawsuit is irrelevant. There are good reasons that they did not join the lawsuit and continue to follow the protocols despite Florida's "victory".

7 hours ago, deweytrader said:

Were you wearing masks indoors too? If not, I would assume you contracted if first and gave it to your DS. You may have missed the news the last few days- vaccinated people can carry high amounts of the virus and are able to transmit the delta variant :( 

Hope you are doing well in quarantine and can get home soon. 

• Like 1