Canadians unable to cruise with Royal Caribbean

3 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ok - call me crazy - but he said that they were not in a position to change the government policy and while sympathetic....(can't copy the post) etc. sounds like we will not be considered "fully vaccinated" to me.

Canuck

I don't see that at all. They were interpreting the cdc and fda rules. Upon closer inspection they've revised it. That's how I take this.

4 minutes ago, discru said:

Yes, I think we are all posting the same responses... more than 42 days between both doses of the same brand (Pfizer)... I would assume Moderna, as well, and you are considered vaccinated for purposes of cruising.  I don't think I have seen IN WRITING an official response to a particular question about this.  Most people received phone calls, or heard from some supervisor, saying more than 42 days will not be considered vaxxed.  There has been nothing in an official response, to a specific question, that I have seen, about a specific scenario, saying anything other than what M Bayley told me. 

I'm confused. Isn't what you posted official or are we talking about a different question?

Just now, DHLuCruise said:

I don't see that at all. They were interpreting the cdc and fda rules. Upon closer inspection they've revised it. That's how I take this.

Ok - I took it the totally opposite way & so did a couple of people I told.  Guess we will just wait and see...

Canuck

5 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Ok - call me crazy - but he said that they were not in a position to change the government policy and while sympathetic....(can't copy the post) etc. sounds like we will not be considered "fully vaccinated" to me.

Canuck

The 42 days refers to mixed vaccines

• Like 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Thank you. There are two questions running around this thread 

1. Two doses of the same over 42d

2. Two different doses over 42d

Question 1 appears to have been answered. (You are vaccinated)

It's question 2 that is still a no at this time 

4 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

I'm confused. Isn't what you posted official or are we talking about a different question?

No... it WAS official... What I am saying is I have not seen any official written response from anyone that is CONTRADICTING what Michael Bayley wrote me.  Sorry if I was confusing.  All written responses that people are posting, that came officially from a Royal representative, are saying the exact same thing as what M Bayley wrote to me.  

Edited by discru
Clarification

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ok - maybe I have to reread everything again....lol - buy why bother I say?  We are not cruising till next year (after moving cruises repeatedly, trying to get them as far away as possible) I give up, for now.  Everything could change multiple times before we have to make final payment but it is soooo frustrating that they cannot be CLEAR on their protocols.

Canuck

6 minutes ago, discru said:

No... it WAS official... What I am saying is I have not seen any official written response from anyone that is CONTRADICTING what Michael Bayley wrote me.  Sorry if I was confusing.  All written responses that people are posting, that came officially from a Royal representative, are saying the exact same thing as what M Bayley wrote to me.  

Lol. I know this is a mess isn't it?

The response from Michael Bayley (or his office) is gold. That will help a lot of people with the same vaccine > 42d crowd.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mikey2611 said:

If you read the Royal Caribbean covid restrictions they effectively prevent Most Canadians from taking a RCL cruise. 

a valid vaccination is required and according to the CDC that has to be 2 shots of the same vaccine in which the second shot is given between 21 and 42 days of the first. 

RCL seem prepared to accept 2 shots of different vaccines ( Pfizer and moderna) but the requirement of the second dose being taken between 21 and 42 days simply cannot be met by the majority of vaccinated Canadians. This is because it was government policy to delay the second shot to at least 90 days. 

Additionally it was previous RCL policy to refund the $480 per person deposit up to the date of final payment. Now they will only give you a future cruise voucher after deducting $100US  four what they term “ administrative costs).  
with all the uncertainty rather than giving more flexibility they are gouging prospective cruisers who through no fault of their own but due to changing covid restrictions may have to cancel before final payment date. 

my advise - don’t book in advance just take your chances on last minute booking and avoid being caught with costs over which you can have no control. 

It sounds like Canadians are off the board for now. But honestly, I dont find Canadian market to be that attractive right now either. American market is the most valuable for Royal and many other companies. However, I hope things change in the near future. 

21 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Canuck

I don't see the confusion 

2 same doses, regardless of time between shots = vaccinated

2 different MRNA vaccines with appropriate timing = vaccinated

all others = unvaccinated

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I don't see the confusion 

2 same doses, regardless of time between shots = vaccinated

2 different MRNA vaccines with appropriate timing = vaccinated

all others = unvaccinated

Well, I have read multiple things on multiple forums and it may not be confusing as you are American - but to "most" Canadians - it is confusing.  In that post which was posted by dwswallow (sorry if I got the name wrong) I don't believe it referred to mixed or same dose - maybe you needed to see the question asked before the response - just guessing. 

Canuck 

17 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Well, I have read multiple things on multiple forums and it may not be confusing as you are American - but to "most" Canadians - it is confusing.  In that post which was posted by dwswallow (sorry if I got the name wrong) I don't believe it referred to mixed or same dose - maybe you needed to see the question asked before the response - just guessing. 

Canuck 

Sorry you are confused.  Use my guidance above it is very clear (and correct)

• Like 1

I just saw a definitive question and answer on Michael Bayley's FB.  

Marlena asked: So if same vaccine but longer then 42 days thats ok?
8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
  • Michael Bayley

Yes, Marlene. If both doses are from the same manufacturer you're considered fully vaccinated as long as you had the second dose no sooner than recommended (Pfizer 21 days, Moderna 28 days) and at least 14 days prior to sailing

So I will print that one too.😀

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
  • Michael Bayley

Yes, Marlene. If both doses are from the same manufacturer you're considered fully vaccinated as long as you had the second dose no sooner than recommended (Pfizer 21 days, Moderna 28 days) and at least 14 days prior to sailing

Amazing! Going to print, and frame this! 🙂

1 hour ago, CanuckCruizer said:

8iuTX4LlGZO.pngAuthor
  • Michael Bayley

Exactly what I said above 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckCruizer said:
  • Michael Bayley

Ok, I understand somewhere on the CDC website, it allows for 4 day grace period (early) for the 2nd shot of the vaccines.   Ex: 2nd Moderna shot 24 days after the first.  So questioning MB’s “no earlier than” statement above.

Edited by BSocial
Edit

8 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Ok, I understand somewhere on the CDC website, it allows for 4 day grace period (early) for the 2nd shot of the vaccines.   Ex: 2nd Moderna shot 24 days after the first.  So questioning MB’s “no earlier than” statement above.

Good question - don't know the answer BUT I do not think it would apply to any (or hardly any) Canadians, outside of a possible long term care home resident and even then, to my knowledge, no shots were given earlier than the recommended manufacturer's instructions.  With the exception of the "procrastinators" who are just getting their shots now...😒

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

CEO may personally consider to be fully vaccinated but not the rules set by Cdc for all cruiselines, not just Royal.

Suspect this will all change as various studies are being done.

Directly from the CDC website below - CDC considers us beyond 42 days vaccinated (and now Royal is acknowledging this as well after some initial confusion and permitting those beyond 42 days to sail if they received the same vaccine twice (mRNA).

Interval between mRNA doses

The second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, but not earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, individuals who receive the second dose up to 4 days before or at any time after the recommended date can be considered fully vaccinated.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, NateUpNorth said:

We sail in November (L&S from 2020) and I have no faith it'll be sorted by then either! LOL
We've got 2 under 12 ineligible, 1 mixed and beyond 42 days (both MRna, not that it matters) and 1 unvaxxed (for now).
Good luck to us getting that mess sorted out...... oh well, unfortunately lesson learned. No more booking a cruise more than a couple months out.....

That my friend is a mess and a bunch of whole different questions.  I hope you can sail in November.  I am sure some policies will align and work for you, but that is a lot of policies that will have to fall into place for you.  Good luck.

20 hours ago, milkman3232 said:

Thank you for contacting the executive office of Royal Caribbean International. Mr. Bayley received your email and I am pleased to respond on his behalf.

In response to your inquiry regarding the protocols for your cruise on the Allure of the Seas sailing on August 22, 2021. As long as both vaccines are from the same manufacturer, then the doses can be more than 42 days apart. You will be considered vaccinated.

Mr. Hartlin, thank you again for having contacted the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Laura *****
Executive Office
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

I got the exact same letter from a different individual at RCCL from the Executive Office.  We are good to sail (again) on August 14th for us.  Thanks for sharing this letter with everyone.

19 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

I just finished printing out milkman's letter from Bayley's office saying that the longer intervals between doses were ok & that we would be considered vaccinated & then the other person's Facebook (or Instagram or whatever it was) response from Bayley's office & now you posted this - it completely contradicts the other two!  How they can publicly post two totally different answers is beyond me.  I need a drink now....

I got the exact same response directly from Michael Bayley's office.  As long as you have 2 shots, even after the 42 days, of the same mRNA vaccine, Michael Bayley and RCCL say we are clear to sail.

19 hours ago, discru said:

Yes, I think we are all posting the same responses... more than 42 days between both doses of the same brand (Pfizer)... I would assume Moderna, as well, and you are considered vaccinated for purposes of cruising.  I don't think I have seen IN WRITING an official response to a particular question about this.  Most people received phone calls, or heard from some supervisor, saying more than 42 days will not be considered vaxxed.  There has been nothing in an official response, to a specific question, that I have seen, about a specific scenario, saying anything other than what M Bayley told me. 

I got it in writing directly from Michael Bayley's office.  2 doses of Moderna or 2 doses of Pfizer, even after 42 days are clear to sail as fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Sorry - I was looking for a definitive answer from a "qualified" responder.

Have a lovely day,

Canuck

Lol,now we have qualified responders? Just direct message then.whats the credential qualification? Works for rccl?