RCCL to Charge for Onboard Testing for Fully Vaccinated?

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I would double check what they told your TA.  I have been getting wrong information from Royal reps over the phone lately.  They are working from home for the most part and you can hear kids and dogs in the background.  I was told I need a PCR test (I'm vaccinated) for a 3 night cruise in September.  WTH? Did this just change? 

Yes, you will need a test within 3 days of your cruise but that is the only test vaccinated cruisers need.

Edited by mauraoel

2 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Yes, you will need a test no within 3 days of your cruise but that is the only test vaccinated cruisers need.

I'm taking a 3 night cruise -- just checked Royal's website and this is what they posted:

PRE-CRUISE TESTING REQUIREMENT

PRE-CRUISE TEST FOR ALL GUESTS ON SAILINGS 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER

• All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

PRE-CRUISE TEST FOR ALL GUESTS ON SAILINGS 4 NIGHTS OR LESS

• All guests age 2 and older will need to take the pre-cruise test as outlined above. However, on these shorter sailings, guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination in order to be exempt from this test.

22 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I would double check what they told your TA.  I have been getting wrong information from Royal reps over the phone lately.  They are working from home for the most part and you can hear kids and dogs in the background.  I was told I need a PCR test (I'm vaccinated) for a 3 night cruise in September.  WTH? Did this just change? 

First, you realize that when you call RCCL, you are talking to a minimum wage call center person who does not "know" and does not "make" Royal Policy. All they can do is "google" their call center computer system and read to you want they find. And calling the call center multiple times for a "popular opinion poll" trying to get one to say what you want to hear or doing the same here on CC, is a recipe for getting left behind on the dock because you don't have the right documentation to embark. 

AND a TA is no better. Probably worse, because they are more likely to recite "what they heard" vs. doing the leg work to research. 

Royal is very good about putting their current policies, based on cruise location, on their web site and sending email notifications to passengers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

First, you realize that when you call RCCL, you are talking to a minimum wage call center person who does not "know" and does not "make" Royal Policy. All they can do is "google" their call center computer system and read to you want they find. And calling the call center multiple times for a "popular opinion poll" trying to get one to say what you want to hear or doing the same here on CC, is a recipe for getting left behind on the dock because you don't have the right documentation to embark. 

AND a TA is no better. Probably worse, because they are more likely to recite "what they heard" vs. doing the leg work to research. 

Royal is very good about putting their current policies, based on cruise location, on their web site and sending email notifications to passengers. 

Yes that's exactly what I did -- checked the website that states that for a 4 night cruise or less you can be exempt from the covid test if you show proof of vaccination.  

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That's not a new phenomenon.

No, but it seems worse now that they are working from home.  The last rep put me on hold for 15 minutes and still didn't have the answer.  I checked RCI's website and found the answer myself in a few seconds.  Will not call there anymore. 

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I'm totally confused and whom do we believe and get a straight answer.  Shouldn't the requirements be documented at the check-in process.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'm totally confused and whom do we believe and get a straight answer.  Shouldn't the requirements be documented at the check-in process.

The problem is things are constantly in flux and changing.  I'm going on what's posted on the website and bringing that info with me to the port the day of boarding.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

Regarding B2B, our TA just checked with Royal.  Supposedly the only test you need is the first one to get onboard.  If another is required for the next cruise they will do that onboard.  No idea on cost, though.

In all reality I would expect the ship to test B2Bers on their dime not the passenger's.  Just logic though, Rccl, CDC...not so much.  It's a Mexican standoff!

• Haha 1

Got another one of these “health” updates from Royal today regarding tests before our Adventure cruise on Aug. 7 out of Nassau - we had an antigen test booked for this Wednesday - we decided to be safe and switched it to a PCR test Wednesday.  It’s from our local CVS which has been doing a one day turnaround in results, so we’re hoping to get results before we fly out early Friday morning.