RCCL to Charge for Onboard Testing for Fully Vaccinated?

Maybe I'm reading today's email incorrectly but it seems to imply that we will be subject to onboard testing even though fully vaccinated and charged $178 per person.  

We're scheduled on Symphony, 7 night, later in August.  The email reads...

"The total charge from the third-party testing vendor for guests 12 and older is $136 USD per guest on sailings 5 nights or less, or $178 USD per guest for sailings of 6 nights or more. This amount will be applied to the guest's onboard expense account."

Is this correct for those of us fully vaccinated?

I got an email today for my Aug 29 sailing.

At the top of the section it says "Guests who provide documentation of full vaccination will be exempt from these requirements, unless specified below."

Look at your email again and see if that language is at the top of the protocols for unvaccinated guests.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BeancounterUSA said:

I got an email today for my Aug 29 sailing.

At the top of the section it says "Guests who provide documentation of full vaccination will be exempt from these requirements, unless specified below."

Look at your email again and see if that language is at the top of the protocols for unvaccinated guests.

Yes, it says...

"Guests who provide documentation of full vaccination will be exempt from these requirements, unless specified below."

Specified below is the following...

"Mid-Cruise (for sailings 6 Nights or Longer): Guests 12 and older are required to undergo an antigen test for COVID-19 administered onboard by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test."

12 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not clear to me.  The onboard testing is "Specified Below"

Look under the pre-boarding testing..that's the only one that specifically mentions there is no exemption for vaccinated indviduals.  It's in bold.  That is the only "specified below" they are referring to.  Vaccinated is exempt from all the other testing.

8 hours ago, yogimax said:

Maybe I'm reading today's email incorrectly but it seems to imply that we will be subject to onboard testing even though fully vaccinated and charged $178 per person.  

We're scheduled on Symphony, 7 night, later in August.  The email reads...

"The total charge from the third-party testing vendor for guests 12 and older is $136 USD per guest on sailings 5 nights or less, or $178 USD per guest for sailings of 6 nights or more. This amount will be applied to the guest's onboard expense account."

Is this correct for those of us fully vaccinated?

Why does it cost less to test on a cruise of 5 nights are less? You get 3/4 of a test.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yes, it says...

"Guests who provide documentation of full vaccination will be exempt from these requirements, unless specified below."

Specified below is the following...

"Mid-Cruise (for sailings 6 Nights or Longer): Guests 12 and older are required to undergo an antigen test for COVID-19 administered onboard by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test."

It literally says you're EXEMPT FROM BELOW unless it says otherwise. 

Since it doesn't specify that "this applies to vaccinated guests" on the part below, it does not apply to vaccinated guests, as stated in the first part. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

It literally says you're EXEMPT FROM BELOW unless it says otherwise. 

Since it doesn't specify that "this applies to vaccinated guests" on the part below, it does not apply to vaccinated guests, as stated in the first part. 

It was very clear to me as well.  

• Like 1

Not clear to me.  The onboard testing is "Specified Below"

To specify something, you actually name it or mention it.  What you're calling "specified below" isn't a specification mentioning vaccinated guests, but just a continuation of the entire letter listing the protocols in place.

ALL passengers have to be tested within 3 days of the cruise at their expense through August 31st. Any test will be accepted by bringing the negative test e-mail or on your phone at check in at the port. No test, no sail. No more  testing for vaccinated passengers.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Lol,I think we explained this pretty well in 13 posts for something that is clear already on royals site. Smh:)

I saw a post by birdtravels that he thought he would be charged 178 for tests between his b2b2b so maybe it's not entirely clear what it means.

48 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

ALL passengers have to be tested within 3 days of the cruise at their expense through August 31st. Any test will be accepted by bringing the negative test e-mail or on your phone at check in at the port. No test, no sail. No more  testing for vaccinated passengers.

On RCL's Q&A site, it states that the testing requirement goes through December 31.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm starting to get confused, easy to do these days with constant changes.

I thought royal was requiring passengers 12 or older to be vaccinated as of august 1st.  Does that apply to all US sailings or except those sailing out of FL?

I can not speak for all, but I know the 12 and older vaccine requirement is in place for Texas and Seattle embarkations; not for Florida

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

On RCL's Q&A site, it states that the testing requirement goes through December 31.

Isn't  December 31 only for Fla.  Unless updated yesterday, Texas still states on Independence thru Aug.  Requested a refund yesterday after I read December 31 but was told my sailing protocols for October have not been announced???  So confusing.

27 minutes ago, Pineapple Princess said:

Isn't  December 31 only for Fla.  Unless updated yesterday, Texas still states on Independence thru Aug.  Requested a refund yesterday after I read December 31 but was told my sailing protocols for October have not been announced???  So confusing.

I get more confused with everything I read.  We have a Nov 5th out of Baltimore and a Dec 31st out of NJ coming up.  have to wait and see how it all plays out.  The Nov 5th cruise has final payment coming up Aug 7th

On 7/31/2021 at 7:06 AM, firefly333 said:

I saw a post by birdtravels that he thought he would be charged 178 for tests between his b2b2b so maybe it's not entirely clear what it means.

birdtravels was out of Nassau - which requires testing for non-vaccinated people coming into the Bahamas (and I think he wasn't vaccinated (or was traveling before Bahamas exempted vaccinated travelers from testing). 

But question is still valid - what happens if you are doing a B2B - no place to get tested for second cruise except on the ship.  Or what happens if you are doing a side by side - again, you are not onshore long enough for a test - will they do it on the ship?

Plus, the $178 number was for three tests - one at boarding, one midcruise and one before disembark.  A vaccinated person would only need one test three days before the next cruise.

Regarding B2B, our TA just checked with Royal.  Supposedly the only test you need is the first one to get onboard.  If another is required for the next cruise they will do that onboard.  No idea on cost, though.

12 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Regarding B2B, our TA just checked with Royal.  Supposedly the only test you need is the first one to get onboard.  If another is required for the next cruise they will do that onboard.  No idea on cost, though.

I would double check what they told your TA.  I have been getting wrong information from Royal reps over the phone lately.  They are working from home for the most part and you can hear kids and dogs in the background.  I was told I need a PCR test (I'm vaccinated) for a 3 night cruise in September.  WTH? Did this just change?