Negative COVID test Prior to Cruising

The email and everything that I clicked through and read sure didn't sound like it.  It specifically said no testing would be available in the terminal. Many airports have testing available-but usually at a fairly high cost.  Certainly if I was flying in that morning (which I never do anymore), I wouldn't be relying on a test at the airport.  I did not research Fort Lauderdale, but I did research Miami.  There are a number of local government sponsored sites, as well as CVS, Walgreens, a commercially run fast COVID site, and I am sure medical labs.  One website said tests were free for everyone, but another said tests were free for only local residents.  My plan is to make an appointment for a walk-in appointment for an antigen test at a CVS or Walgreens in Miami.  

• Like 1

I'm booked for an 11 day on the Eurodam in November.  I tested positive for Covid 2.5 weeks ago.  No real symptoms.   Spent 14 days in quarantine.  I feel great!  Cleared to return to work and no longer restricted from interacting with anyone.  I also have acquired natural immunity.  I've been told not to test again for 90 days because I will still test positive for weeks/months.   If someone tests positive and recovers they may not be able to produce a negative test for months.  Kind of makes it hard to go on a cruise.  

8 minutes ago, zamboni88 said:

I'm booked for an 11 day on the Eurodam in November.  I tested positive for Covid 2.5 weeks ago.  No real symptoms.   Spent 14 days in quarantine.  I feel great!  Cleared to return to work and no longer restricted from interacting with anyone.  I also have acquired natural immunity.  I've been told not to test again for 90 days because I will still test positive for weeks/months.   If someone tests positive and recovers they may not be able to produce a negative test for months.  Kind of makes it hard to go on a cruise.  

We got the vaccine even though we had Covid, mostly so we could cruise. You should be able to get the vaccine in time to cruise November if you plan ahead. The 90 day period can get shortened a little. 

Pfizer vaccine is 3 weeks apart, last one 14 days before cruise.  

19 hours ago, Hobie said:

I just received email from HAL that starting Aug. 14, a negative covid test, taken with three days of boarding is required.

I received this email as well and thought it was for our Eurodam Greece cruise Aug 22nd, but apparently it was for or Oct 2 2021 cruise from Seattle. The email says all ships, but I guess not.

1 hour ago, zamboni88 said:

I would hope cruise lines would go the same direction as Hawaii, which allows you to enter the state without a negative covid test if 1) you have completed your isolation and have proof of positive test within 90 days of travel and 2) have a medical provider's note attesting that you have recovered and are no longer symptomatic.

15 hours ago, KirkNC said:
On 8/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, Boytjie said:

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of wearing a mask?

This type of mask protects the person wearing the mask but if that person is sick - their breath is expelled through the mask unfiltered. Typically used (preCOVID) in industrial applications handling hazardous material or construction dust. Used these days by people who do not care that you could get their infections.

I am cruising to Alaska on HAL leaving Aug 21, 2021. Since Hal is requiring a negative Covid test within 72 hours of sailing, I started looking for a place to get the testing done. No one will guarantee that if I take the test Wednesday afternoon, that I will have the results by Saturday. They tell me 3 to 5 days. Is anyone else having this problem? 

11 minutes ago, cruiser wannabe said:

I am cruising to Alaska on HAL leaving Aug 21, 2021. Since Hal is requiring a negative Covid test within 72 hours of sailing, I started looking for a place to get the testing done. No one will guarantee that if I take the test Wednesday afternoon, that I will have the results by Saturday. They tell me 3 to 5 days. Is anyone else having this problem? 

Check out Walgreen in Seattle, the appointment is only open 1 or 2 days out, if you plan to test on Wednesday check the open appointment on Monday or Tuesday. Look for Antigen test, the result should be within an hour. They notified you through email.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, zamboni88 said:

While it is possible that you will continue to test (+) for COVID-19 for up to 90 days via a PCR test—it is very unlikely that you would continue to test (+) via a rapid antigen test (RAT). That’s because RAT’s are really designed to determine if you’re actively infectious. HAL accepts both PCR and RAT tests. 

5 hours ago, cruiser wannabe said:

When are you arriving in Seattle? Will you have a car?

We had a good experience at the University of Washington's testing site at Bellevue College, We had appointments but it is not necessary. We were tested on Wednesday around 1:45 PM and our results were posted by 7 AM on Thursday morning.

5 minutes ago, lka1012 said:

My issue with the 72 hour test is that many of us depart for our cruise more than 72 hours before sailing. This can make if a logistical nightmare.  Could they move move it back to at least a week.

While I understand the frustration, what good would a test taken a week before travel be?  I think even 72 hours isn't great in terms of providing a "very recent snapshot" of possible COVID infection.  If there is going to be testing, then it shouldn't just be testing theater. I'd want to know that the people getting onboard with me tested negative in the last day or two, not seven days ago.

COVID is not over, as much as some would like it to be. We all need to accommodate ourselves to the disease for now. COVID is not going to accommodate itself to our desires. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, lka1012 said:

My issue with the 72 hour test is that many of us depart for our cruise more than 72 hours before sailing. This can make if a logistical nightmare.  Could they move move it back to at least a week.

A week?  Might as well not get tested at all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruiser wannabe said:

Several places to look now that people have shared information.  You can check out the August 14 Roll Call, on the regular Holland America boards there are two threads going that address this:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2795238-port-of-seattle-covid-test-locations-and-results-time/

and the following:  

17 hours ago, cruiser wannabe said:

You need to find a rapid test. Not as easy to find as the PCR. We gave up because of supply in our area. Cancelled both cruises for Sept. Hopefully your area will be easier to find. Good luck!