Negative COVID test Prior to Cruising

5 minutes ago, Hobie said:

I just received email from HAL that starting Aug. 14, a negative covid test, taken with three days of boarding is required.

I did too.  What is a "mask with exhaust valves"?

Hi,

We will be sailing on August 14th, and maybe I am freaking out a bit and can't think numbers right now. It said "within" 72 hours, so if I schedule my testing on Friday the 13th, I am still good right? 

Thank you,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Missheo said:

Hi,

We will be sailing on August 14th, and maybe I am freaking out a bit and can't think numbers right now. It said "within" 72 hours, so if I schedule my testing on Friday the 13th, I am still good right? 

Thank you,

Definitely as long as you get the results back. The question is on the other end, can any time on Wednesday work or do they cut off at 72 hours before boarding (so if you get on at 2 PM you would need to get it after 2 on Wednesday). Would be helpful if they clarified that or if it is just within the three days prior to boarding. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Missheo said:

Hi,

Thank you,

Yes, but you have to allow time for getting the results back. I am looking to see if we can get tested late on the 11th or early on the 12th. 

7 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Yes, but you have to allow time for getting the results back. I am looking to see if we can get tested late on the 11th or early on the 12th. 

The antigen test the result will be within 30 minutes max. They said PCR or antigen, so we picked the antigen for the faster result. I would love get tested on the 12th, but both of us work and by the time we're home, nothing is open.

• Like 1

Another consideration is the cost of the test. I don't know of an insurance company that will pay for the test for TRAVEL. Many test sites won't guarantee results in less than 48 hours (so you have the results a day before sailing). Of course, if you want the results before you fly, and you plan to spend a night in Seattle before boarding, you need the results in even less time. And if they do guarantee quick results, the price is at least $140. 

If anyone is aware of a test site that will offer the test with results within 48 hours and be free for travel purposes, please share that info with all of us.

• Like 1

Here is the issue for me. I am flying down 5 days before my cruise and won't have a car. So it makes getting a test so much harder as I won't be home. I understand why they are doing this, but with requiring vaccinated people to get tests-well, I think they should have a supplier. No reason they can't hook up with a supplier in Miami and in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not even saying they need to pay for the test. But I'm sure if they made an arrangement with CVS, we could all save $10 or so. 

• Like 3

Friends had the test at a Walgreen’s drive-thru - for TRAVEL -  to the US Virgin Islands a few days ago. They were asked to provide their medical insurance info (in one case, Medicare, the other Tricare.)  They paid nothing.

They had the PCR  tests and results came before 48 hours had passed. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, silversneakers said:

I thought someone on the board said they had about 80 kids on the ship this week. I can't believe all were vaccinated.  Maybe someone can correct me if I misunderstood.

HAL’s cruises are all 100% vaccinated.  People on our roll call with children under 12 were moved to 2022 by HAL.

Children 12 and up can be vaccinated and must be to sail on HAL.

Did I miss some announcement from CDC or did all the cruise lines decide independently to implement these new protocols.  Just seems strange they appeared in such a small window.

Edited by KirkNC

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Did I miss some announcement from CDC or did all the cruise lines decide independently to implement these new protocols.  Just seems strange they appeared in such a small window.

Nieuw Amsterdam has been color coded Yellow for a week, but there’s been no announcement or explanation from HAL. Carnival has not usually been notifying passengers when there are cases. Just last week, there were several ships known to the public with multiple cases onboard. I think with Delta, they are trying to prevent those who are positive at embarkation from boarding, even while realizing it won’t stop all cases onboard. There are also reports here on other lines’ CC boards about clusters of passengers testing positive once returning home (of course, an airport is going to have its own risks).

With the return to Europe, I wonder how that factored in, considering Monday’s travel alerts to Greece?

See this for more on the Cruise Ship Color Status and NA: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794220-cdc-yellow-category-for-na-does-anyone-have-any-info-as-to-why/

Edited by syesmar

46 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Did I miss some announcement from CDC or did all the cruise lines decide independently to implement these new protocols....

PS: Yesterday, Carnival passengers aboard Vista were notified their upcoming mask policy went into effect immediately on their ship due to “a small number” (their words) of cases onboard. https://abc13.com/carnival-vista-covid-19-cases-on-board-galveston-cruises-texas-departure/10930814/

56 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of wearing a mask?

Depends on what you are wearing it for! To keep stuff (like dust) out, it works. To prevent you from breathing stuff (like germs) out, it doesn't.

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 1

Going to wait a few days to contact our PCC, problem we will have is we are doing another cruise the day after we get off a princess ship. The next day we will hopefully board a Holland ship kind of tough to get a test .Hoping to be able to go to a CVS or Walgreens to get an approved test in FLL Hopefully in a few days I can get some answers, till then wishing. Just like a darn merry go round  here we go again.

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

The CDC? Don't you remember they lost that suit that Florida filed? Don't you remember all the gloating by those who have it in for the CDC? 

• Haha 1