14 Mediterranean & Israel cruise?

phabric

I am thinking of this cruise on the Island  roundtrip Rome , either -

Nov 9-23, 2023 or

Nov 23-Dec 7, 2023

Which date would have cooler weather?

Which side of the ship for this cruise?

They offer an overnight excursion from Jerusalem (port time 6am-9pm).  The next day is Nazareth (port time 7am-9pm).

The overnight excursion- port of interest - Western Wall, Garden of Gethsemane, Jewish Quarter, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Bethlehem .

Includes - hotel stay, day 1 - lunch and dinner, day 2 - lunch    Doesn’t mention Breakfast on day 2?

Cost - $799.95/pp

Has anybody taken this tour?  Your thoughts on this tour?

Did you feel you missed seeing Nazareth the next day?

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

Nov 9-23, 2023 or

Nov 23-Dec 7, 2023

They offer an overnight excursion from Jerusalem (port time 6am-9pm).  The next day is Nazareth (port time 7am-9pm).

The overnight excursion- port of interest - Western Wall, Garden of Gethsemane, Jewish Quarter, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Bethlehem .

Includes - hotel stay, day 1 - lunch and dinner, day 2 - lunch    Doesn’t mention Breakfast on day 2?

Cost - $799.95/pp

Did you feel you missed seeing Nazareth the next day?

I could tell you better in NOV 2022 since we are doing essentially this same voyage OCT 31 - NOV 14, 2022.  I saw the overnight thing, but we can see most of the offering from each of the two ports.  It's a bit early to start trip planning (more than a year out), but I plan to book a local tour operator that will cover us in both Israel ports for touring.  I get that you will have more total time with an overnight, but we prefer to just do the two separate days.  Seems easier too.  And won't cost $800/pp.

On the weather question, I think it is pretty obvious to expect that the later dates will have generally lower average temps.  You can use Accuweather site to look up historical trends and typical weather at times of year in various cities or countries. For me, I'd get the earliest date possible that late in the year.  I am now glad we picked 2022 as I prefer the early November dates we have and hoping it will be pleasant.

Here is a link for Athens:  https://www.accuweather.com/en/gr/athens/182536/november-weather/182536

We were in Rome from Nov 5 2019 to the 10th before our TA cruise on Sky Princess.  The weather was fine with a light windbreaker at the coldest.  We then sailed to Florence, Genoa, Toulouse, Spain, Portugal......  - all with quite fine weather.  That being said, it is really impossible to predict November weather IMO.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Extra

14 hours ago, phabric said:

Nov 9-23, 2023 or

Nov 23-Dec 7, 2023

In general, the later the cruise is at that time of year, the cooler it is.

Most of the time you are at sea and cannot see land from either side.

14 hours ago, phabric said:

Cost - $799.95/pp

The port is over an hour away from the places you want to visit. Doing a two day tour allows you to avoid hours of commuting cutting into sightseeing time.

When we did a two day tour like this we used an independent vendor and the cost was significantly less than what Princess charges. With a small group of six people we also were able to control the itinerary and avoid forced souvenir shopping stops. And with a reputable tour company you will have no problem getting back to the ship on time the 2nd day.

• Like 1

We are two 75 yr old ladies.

Do you have the name of the  independent tour company?

Did you enjoy the tour?  Was it a tiring 2 days?

Were meals included like Princess?

Edited by phabric

19 hours ago, phabric said:

We are two 75 yr old ladies.

Do you have the name of the  independent tour company?

Did you enjoy the tour?  Was it a tiring 2 days?

Were meals included like Princess?

Dubi Fishler of  http://dubitours.com/       tel:+(972)-544-259-100     info@dubitours.com

We were a group of 6 (meeting each other and setting up the tour on the Cruise Critic roll call before the cruise) which made the price/day/person affordable. Outside of hotel breakfast, meals were not included included.  Admission fees were also additional.

We were about your age at the time and although the days were long, they were not, for us, tiring.

The six of us independently booked the hotel in Jerusalem and used Hotel Arthur, Jerusalem, 13th, Dorot Rishonim St., Tel: 02-6239999   

http://www.atlas.co.il/arthur-jerusalem/   

• Thanks 1

We are also doing the October-November 2022 sailing.  We have already booked the overnight tour thru Princess even tho it is over a year away.  We just feel more comfortable booking thru the cruise line, although it is probably the more expensive way to go.

I too am curious about the weather. I have checked accuweather and other sites but would like to hear from those who have actually been there in late fall.

4 hours ago, Mflem1278 said:

We are also doing the October-November 2022 sailing.  We have already booked the overnight tour thru Princess even tho it is over a year away.  We just feel more comfortable booking thru the cruise line, although it is probably the more expensive way to go.

I too am curious about the weather. I have checked accuweather and other sites but would like to hear from those who have actually been there in late fall.

3 hours ago, phabric said:

Please post about your overnight excursion experience as my cruise is not until Nov 2023.

You may want to search Cruise Critic for past reviews of this overnight tour.

Some of them were not complementary about the hotel(s) Princess used.

I have visited Israel about 15 times over past 20 years.  Have gone 1/2 the time by ship from both Rome and Athens.   The weather will be pleasant in November.  Side of ship  for cabin does not matter because when at sea, does not matter, when coming into port early morning about the same either side. 

Keep in mind Israel is a very small country about the size of New Jersey, so sites you wish to visit are only about 1-2 hour drive from either port cruise ships use.  Cruises usually stop at both the port of Ashdod (south of Tel Aviv) or Haifa in the north.   Depending on what is going on in Israel politically sometimes the ports get changed at the last minute, i.e., from Ashdod to Haifa.   On cruises I have been on these changes were made after we were on board and announced to passengers.  I mention that for anyone thinking about booking independent tours.  Would guess tour operators keep up with such changes because not uncommon.  You may wish to discuss with operator before going so if such a change happens you will know what to expect. 

I have visited all sites you are planning to tour,  independently many years ago, we have family in Israel.  You are in for a real treat.   We have not visited Nazareth but have driven by it many times, as I say Israel is a small country.  Main reason we have not visited is now days basically an Arab town.    My family less interested in visiting an Arab town.  

If you decide to do an independent tour over night, you must request in writing in advance permission from the cruise line to do so.   You can contact Princess or have your TA to make such a request.  We have done this in Israel and other countries.  Princess basically needs to know date you will leave the ship and date you will return on an overnight,  where you will stay over night and a phone contact #, plus passenger names.  If you do an over night on a ship tour not necessary.

Have a great trip.  

• Thanks 1

We used Guided Tours Israel and worked with their coordinator Leo. The same guide met us at both ports, so if things get changed at the last minute, they should be able to accommodate you.  While I agree that both Bethlehem and Nazareth are now Arab towns (and quite unkempt), the sites you would visit are important. I would skip Bethlehem over Nazareth.

14 hours ago, caribill said:

You may want to search Cruise Critic for past reviews of this overnight tour.

Some of them were not complementary about the hotel(s) Princess used.

I have tried to find any review and have not been able to find any.  Can you point me in the direction where I can find any.

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I have tried to find any review and have not been able to find any.  Can you point me in the direction where I can find any.

I also was not successful in finding those reviews.

Not a review on that topic, but you might find this thread useful

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

I also was not successful in finding those reviews.

Not a review on that topic, but you might find this thread useful

I was going to suggest the same option.  This is under the ports board, Africa and the Middle East.  You might post a question on that board to see if anyone has experience that night help you.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:43 PM, phabric said:

Please post about your overnight excursion experience as my cruise is not until Nov 2023.

I just booked this cruise for Nov 9 2023. I think I will do a B2B by boarding the Enchanted Princess Nov 23 at the same port we disembark the Island Princess to come back to Fort Lauderdale on the TA. The fare on the TA is comparable to what an airfare would be so why not? 

6 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just booked this cruise for Nov 9 2023. I think I will do a B2B by boarding the Enchanted Princess Nov 23 at the same port we disembark the Island Princess to come back to Fort Lauderdale on the TA. The fare on the TA is comparable to what an airfare would be so why not? 

I decided to rebook the Nov 23 2023 so I don't have to change ships. We didn't like the physical maneuvering of changing ships and now will have the same cabin straight through. Next year I will start looking for independent tours.