New Health Attestation/Ticket Contract

Good morning everyone,

On the RSSC site, there is now a new section of documentation under the booked cruises.  Of particular concern is the Health Attestation/Ticket Contract. I am fully vaccinated, but as I read this, I am not sure about a couple of things.

1. It seems that there will be a COVID antigen test prior to embarkation. Is this test taken at the port in the morning of embarkation? What is the turnaround time on the results?

2. What happens if you are one of the breakthrough infections? Will your cruise fare be refunded?

I am going to call Regent, unless someone already has and replies to this message!!

My cruise leaves out of Florida; when I check the box saying I agree to provide proof of vaccination is Regent then liable for the $5,000 fine or not until I actually show up at the pier with my card?

15 minutes for antigen test results.

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, dvalentine823 said:

Good morning everyone,

On the RSSC site, there is now a new section of documentation under the booked cruises.  Of particular concern is the Health Attestation/Ticket Contract. I am fully vaccinated, but as I read this, I am not sure about a couple of things.

1. It seems that there will be a COVID antigen test prior to embarkation. Is this test taken at the port in the morning of embarkation? What is the turnaround time on the results?

2. What happens if you are one of the breakthrough infections? Will your cruise fare be refunded?

I am going to call Regent, unless someone already has and replies to this message!!

I briefly scanned the document. I have the same questions as you. Also in the contract you can be disembarked, or refused reboarding at  the discretion of the ship. I am concerned about what happens after that. We have Medjet insurance that would evacuate us to a US hospital if we were hospitalized. But there is no provision for evacuating someone who tests positive, but is not hospitalized. I am concerned about having a breakthrough infection and being required to leave the ship with no place to go to quarantine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

Good morning everyone,

I asked this specifically to Regent in writing.

My response was something along the lines of Regent will maintain all health protocols and work with your insurance company to get you home. In other words, have insurance or else. This includes a positive (false or otherwise) on the pier prior to getting on board.

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

I briefly scanned the document. I have the same questions as you. Also in the contract you can be disembarked, or refused reboarding at  the discretion of the ship. I am concerned about what happens after that. We have Medjet insurance that would evacuate us to a US hospital if we were hospitalized. But there is no provision for evacuating someone who tests positive, but is not hospitalized. I am concerned about having a breakthrough infection and being required to leave the ship with no place to go to quarantine.

Have insurance or you are on your own.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

My cruise leaves out of Florida; when I check the box saying I agree to provide proof of vaccination is Regent then liable for the $5,000 fine or not until I actually show up at the pier with my card?

15 minutes for antigen test results.

Under Florida's "law" (making it illegal for businesses to ask customers for proof of vaccination), which is now in the court and awaiting a ruling, It's the company (NCLH) that's doing the "asking" and presumably violating "the law" - not the customer (passenger) that's being asked for the verification.  I think all these concerns/questions point to the fact that there's still a lot more issues (both health-wise and legally) that need to be addressed, resolved, and answered by "the cruise industry", as a whole;  In our cases, specifically by "the company" we're presently dealing with....Regent.

I'm not concerned about actually being "sick" on embarkation day (I define that as "feeling like hell", being symptomatic, running a fever, throwing up, trips to the bathroom, etc., etc.).  That's a "risk" I've taken upon myself - either with or without insurance.  What I'm most concerned is this.... I've had the 2 jabs (I got them in February),  I've been feeling perfectly "normal" since February with no health issues whatsoever, and having had numerous routine doctor visits during the interceding months.

On "cruise day" (this coming December) I still have a normal temperature, I'm "skipping and dancing with excitement" over to the terminal, I dutifully fill out Regent's health questionaire, sign it, and take Regent's required antigen test at dockside.  And inexplicably, the test comes back "positive" and Regent says, "I'm infected and can't take the cruise."  I can't contest their ruling.  I'm turned away from boarding the ship with absolutely no commitment of a fare refund (over $35K for me), and I'm left with no recourse but to collect my luggage, head back to the Miami airport, and fly back home to Arizona (on my own "dime")...and never hear another word from Regent ever again about the matter.

That is what's really "bothering me" at the moment - being "turned away" when I'm not really "sick".

And I don't think "having insurance" is the answer here, because I don't think any travel insurance would/will cover that specific circumstance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

Good morning everyone,

On the RSSC site, there is now a new section of documentation under the booked cruises.  Of particular concern is the Health Attestation/Ticket Contract. I am fully vaccinated, but as I read this, I am not sure about a couple of things......

"D" - I'll really be interested to hear Regent's answer on your second question....As we all have read, there is such a thing as a "false positive", as well as a "false negative" results for the Antigen test....actually, on all tests!  Will Regent be making allowance for those circumstances in the case of fully-vaccinated passengers?  And....

Since NCLH has stipulated (at least for  now) that "nearly all" passengers must have full-dose vaccinations to cruise on their ships....then "that's the population" that I'm targeting my next points to....  According to the CDC's own "science", we're being told that "breakthrough cases" between "fully vaccinated individuals" is very rare....not impossible.....but "vary rare".  CDC's own "science" is also saying that in cases of those few "breakthrough infections" (among fully vaccinated people), that symptoms are often "very rare" or "non-existent", and that instances of this have NOT resulted in hospitalizations or death among the vaccinated population in the U.S. of 170+ million people (so far).

So... I'm wondering if NCLH's "SailSafe Health & Safety Program" will be taking that data into consideration on "boarding day" when making their on-the-spot "Sail/No Sail" decisions with individual passengers who show proof of full-dose vaccinations??  Regards.

• Thanks 1

Other Cruise lines who are ACTUALLY sailing are dealing with this every day. From what I’ve read a confirming test is given if you test positive immediately before boarding (or in the case of Viking, every day of the cruise). If the follow-up test is also positive you are presumed positive and not allowed to board, whether you have symptoms or not. I would think any of us would not want covid positive pax on board—symptoms or no. This is the world we are living in right now—and maybe for some months to come. I’m still going to cruise if given the chance. Others may choose not to. 

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

And I don't think "having insurance" is the answer here, because I don't think any travel insurance would/will cover that specific circumstance.

I agree, insurance would not cover the type of circumstance where you're perfectly healthy but denied boarding because of a positive test, whether just a false positive or an asymptomatic carrier.

After two cancellations our first Regent cruise is scheduled for March 2022.

In the interim, we are scheduled to depart in less than two weeks for a 12 day cruise on the Celebrity Equinox. We have been advised that all passengers over the age of 12 will be fully vaccinated. In addition, just last Thursday, we were told that a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of boarding is now required. An Antigen test is sufficient. We have made an appointment at CVS for the test. If a passenger tests positive, a refund is provided. Currently, and for only a few months, those that test positive while sailing are being flown to their homes on a private jet. This testing requirement is going to be in place until at least September 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Under Florida's "law" (making it illegal for businesses to ask customers for proof of vaccination), which is now in the court and awaiting a ruling, It's the company (NCLH) that's doing the "asking" and presumably violating "the law" - not the customer (passenger) that's being asked for the verification.  I think all these concerns/questions point to the fact that there's still a lot more issues (both health-wise and legally) that need to be addressed, resolved, and answered by "the cruise industry", as a whole;  In our cases, specifically by "the company" we're presently dealing with....Regent.

I'm not concerned about actually being "sick" on embarkation day (I define that as "feeling like hell", being symptomatic, running a fever, throwing up, trips to the bathroom, etc., etc.).  That's a "risk" I've taken upon myself - either with or without insurance.  What I'm most concerned is this.... I've had the 2 jabs (I got them in February),  I've been feeling perfectly "normal" since February with no health issues whatsoever, and having had numerous routine doctor visits during the interceding months.

On "cruise day" (this coming December) I still have a normal temperature, I'm "skipping and dancing with excitement" over to the terminal, I dutifully fill out Regent's health questionaire, sign it, and take Regent's required antigen test at dockside.  And inexplicably, the test comes back "positive" and Regent says, "I'm infected and can't take the cruise."  I can't contest their ruling.  I'm turned away from boarding the ship with absolutely no commitment of a fare refund (over $35K for me), and I'm left with no recourse but to collect my luggage, head back to the Miami airport, and fly back home to Arizona (on my own "dime")...and never hear another word from Regent ever again about the matter.

That is what's really "bothering me" at the moment - being "turned away" when I'm not really "sick".

The new policies from Allianz do - effective July 27....and they are grandfathering in some previous policies as well.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I agree, insurance would not cover the type of circumstance where you're perfectly healthy but denied boarding because of a positive test, whether just a false positive or an asymptomatic carrier.

They do now - change on July 27.

We were so happy when we booked a Regent cruise a few days ago and anticipating stepping on board after a long hiatus.   Then today I went into my account and read the Ticket/Health contract.   Not very reassuring to read that info.  "Too bad, so sad, see ya" if we were to become ill with covid/variant while onboard.  If there's even a hint that this virus mess is still going on before our final payment is due then we will regrettably cancel.  

• Like 2

Bellaggios:

Sue and I are certain we have sailed with you in the not-so-distant past.  And, I believe, were scheduled to be with you again on March 14th, 2020 at San Diego for that Splendor segment.  Was not to be.    

This AM, began checking out insurance possibilities for our October 31st Explorer sailing from Barcelona.  Much-earlier today (actually yesterday at exactly 2100H, WCT), went on-line to schedule our three specialty restaurant times.  Also--and in hindsight (always 20/20) probably should NOT have completed the initial portion of the new  "Attestation" Pre-Boarding section--for reasons mentioned on another Thread.   In essence--we have now agreed to Terms and Conditions  which Regent controls as to testing procedures.  

We are now in the heavier penalty phase if WE cancel.  So--for the present, will continue to ride this out; and work with the Insurance Agent who has supplied us with coverage on several earlier cruises.  Of course, those were pre-COVID.  Certainly, it would be a welcome relief if Regent offered similar coverage as described above pertaining to your Celebrity cruise.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
clarification
  • Like 3

I am not happy with Regents  new policy. Sounds like a money grab with no concern for the passengers. Fully understand not being able to board if positive, but since tests are not 100% there should be a chance to re test. I guess we will see how it plays out over the next few months after they actually get a ship underway. 

We have a expensive long cruise on June with final payment due at the end of the year. We will cancel if we are still on this roller coaster at that time. I would rather waste the $1000 dollars on the deposit than spend another $10,000 on insurance with the risk of having to wear a mask, having ports canceled or flat not being able to do the cruise. It will be interesting to see what really happens.

29 minutes ago, cwn said:

I am not happy with Regents  new policy. Sounds like a money grab with no concern for the passengers. Fully understand not being able to board if positive, but since tests are not 100% there should be a chance to re test. I guess we will see how it plays out over the next few months after they actually get a ship underway. 

We have a expensive long cruise on June with final payment due at the end of the year. We will cancel if we are still on this roller coaster at that time. I would rather waste the $1000 dollars on the deposit than spend another $10,000 on insurance with the risk of having to wear a mask, having ports canceled or flat not being able to do the cruise. It will be interesting to see what really happens.

I cant fathom committing to buying a product that not even the company that sells it has a clear certainty what it will look like in the end. I love cruising, but no way I'll subject myself to this uncertainty while putting my money on the line. You all have more sangfroid that I will ever have!

• Like 1

We are probably crazy, but we really want to do this cruise. Our time to take long cruises is growing short and it may not be offered again soon. Sooo….we will take chance.

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm taking my first Regent cruise next year.

People might find this interesting .... it's directly taken from NCL's website:

Will I receive a refund if I test positive for COVID-19 prior to boarding? What about other members in my party that are denied boarding?

Guests and members of their party who are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test result, within 2 weeks of their sail date, will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a future cruise credit or, at the guest's discretion, be provided a cash refund. Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

This is from their Sail Safe page .... https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

One can only hope that the same rules will apply throughout the Corporation.

• Like 3

Reference my previous Post #23:

This PM, confirmed insurance coverage for this October's Barcelona-Miami Explorer segment.  Spouse and I will sleep easier (not completely easy) tonight knowing that under a worse circumstance scenario (being denied boarding at the Barcelona pier) we are covered for costs related to getting us back to USA and our home.  

Not relying on any "good will" from Regent to match Celebrity's protocol in this regard.   

Also--British Airlines, our carrier from SEATAC via Heathrow to Barcelona, currently requires proof of a negative COVID test taken within three days' of our departure date (October 29) from SEATAC.  Of course, that particular protocol could change as the UK seems to be dealing effectively with the Delta variant.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Reference my previous Post #23:

This PM, confirmed insurance coverage for this October's Barcelona-Miami Explorer segment.  Spouse and I will sleep easier (not completely easy) tonight knowing that under a worse circumstance scenario (being denied boarding at the Barcelona pier) we are covered for costs related to getting us back to USA and our home.  

Not relying on any "good will" from Regent to match Celebrity's protocol in this regard.   

GOARMY!

Hi Army - For all past cruises, I have "self-insured", and have never had to make a claim in 12 years of cruising.  DW and I are still pretty healthy, I've got TRI-CARE For Life (just like you most likely do) that covers our overseas medical costs, and I pay for all my travel-related expenses (cruise fares, air fares, hotels, etc.) with a Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  So...there is some insurance there without having to pay for an additional policy (other than with 25 years of my life in the Navy).  But I don't know how to "quantify" or "wrap my head around" the cost I would have to absorb myself, if I showed up on the pier on "cruise day" and some "Regent dude" hits me with a "positive" test result (either "real" or "fake") from his "buck-fifty Antigen test kit"!  And then a "Regent Guy" in a faux naval officer's uniform tells me "Goodbye, seeya next cruise, and by the way....we're not refunding one penny of your fare for this cruise"! 

I've already figured out that they've got more lawyers than I do!  So.... I assume that the trip insurance you obtained, will cover your cost of the cruise fare (i.e., Reimburse it)....In case "The "Antigen Test Police" deny you boarding in Barcelona on embarkation day?  And, I assume you also got it from a private company (Not Regent) after you made your final payment.  Would you mind giving me a "hint" on who/where you got the policy from, so I could contact them for further information for my own cruise on Mariner in December??  My Email is Kryptokitty20atYahoo.  Thanks Much!  Go Navy Beat Army 😉