HAL requiring masks?

jayhawk66

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’ve read this thread with great interest because we are on the August 28th sailing. However, we will not have any problem with the new mandates. Getting a rapid test will be no problem at our Urgent Care 2 miles from us with results given within 15 minutes. Travel is one of the qualifiers to have a rapid test done. And it’s quite possible it will change to be done at the pier. 

I do understand the concerns though due to traveling ahead and logistics of finding a site to do the test. 

However, as someone said, this is doable if you want to. If it’s outside your comfort zone then cancel. 

There are several urgent care places around me, but "we offer nasal swab and antibody testing"...antibody is not listed as acceptable on HAL website and nasal supposedly is not instant unless I'm mistaken.

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

There are several urgent care places around me, but "we offer nasal swab and antibody testing"...antibody is not listed as acceptable on HAL website and nasal supposedly is not instant unless I'm mistaken.

It’s an Antigen test aka rapid test so check for that at your urgent care. 

Lots of people canceling on the Carnival board already.  I can't see this working now that demand is even higher for tests. 

They will have to think of something.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.  My cruise is a ways off still but of course I made final payment 2 days ago😔.  I knew it was a risk.  I have hal flights and cancel for any reason insurance.  I’ll still lose some but I’m trying to mitigate that as much as possible.  A lot can happen before then, good or bad.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Here is a link to my Urgent Care with the info. 
https://nextcare.com/plan-your-visit/curbside/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I personally would never wait until I arrived at the cruise terminal to get the Covid test.    What if you are asymptomatic positive?   Denied boarding and unable to fly home.    I'll definitely have test in hand before I board my flight.   

HAL is requiring you get it ahead of time within 72 hours.  Carnival, too, if Vaccinated.  If not Vaccinated on Carnival, still need to get your own within 72 hours and they also do one at the Pier at Passenger expense.  

4 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Not exactly my idea of the way to start a fun-filled cruise vacation.

I am on the 8/14 cruise and I am OK with this. This pandemic is bad, so I understand the situation and welcome extra precautions. Here in NYC many have started wearing masks voluntarily without any mandates, in areas where previously it has been OKed. We both need a vacation badly after a pretty tough 18 months.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They will have to think of something.  It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.  My cruise is a ways off still but of course I made final payment 2 days ago😔.  I knew it was a risk.  I have hal flights and cancel for any reason insurance.  I’ll still lose some but I’m trying to mitigate that as much as possible.  A lot can happen before then, good or bad.

We're just going to have to wait and see.  Can't make appointments at places until two weeks out.  Many are booked solid in Florida from what I've heard.  With fewer ships in Seattle it might not be as bad, especially if we look for a place far out in the suburbs, which is what I did for the vaccine.  

But it's a huge gamble.  A lot of preparation goes into taking a vacation.  Not knowing I have the "golden ticket" in hand until almost up to the time we board is.....I honestly have no words to describe the feeling. 

• Like 4

RCCL cancelled my December cruise yesterday.  My HAL cruise is for Oct 23, already payed in full. Thinking about this HAL cruise if I should cancel . I booked this cruise in March or April giving time for dust to settle.  And the plot thickens.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We're just going to have to wait and see.  Can't make appointments at places until two weeks out.  Many are booked solid in Florida from what I've heard.  With fewer ships in Seattle it might not be as bad, especially if we look for a place far out in the suburbs, which is what I did for the vaccine.  

But it's a huge gamble.  A lot of preparation goes into taking a vacation.  Not knowing I have the "golden ticket" in hand until almost up to the time we board is.....I honestly have no words to describe the feeling. 

Absolutely it takes a lot.  It's been close to 2 years since I've had time off.  I'm so incredibly tired.  This was the reason I made final payment.  I need something to look forward to because there is not much else at the moment.  

• Like 5

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

Absolutely it takes a lot.  It's been close to 2 years since I've had time off.  I'm so incredibly tired.  This was the reason I made final payment.  I need something to look forward to because there is not much else at the moment.  

I'm seriously pondering a land based trip, looking into the airline requirements and what quarantines are still in place as we speak.

5 minutes ago, adaemma said:

RCCL cancelled my December cruise yesterday.  My HAL cruise is for Oct 23, already payed in full. Thinking about this HAL cruise if I should cancel . I booked this cruise in March or April giving time for dust to settle.  And the plot thickens.

Wow, that's far ahead.  Can I ask where the cruise wass going to?

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Yes.  Totally agree they should be doing testing at the pier.  Maybe they will later.  I suppose that has to be organized.  But they should have known it was probable and had the protocols ready to go.

My understanding is that there is not that much room to wait at Pier 91, so it might not be an option. After the fiasco with Celebrity in Ft. Lauderdale, I would hate to be waiting outside the terminal for hours. It might not be as hot as Florida but it might be quit wet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm not a road trip person.  I have thought of traveling locally but it has limited appeal to me.

I'm just looking at Hawaii at the moment or one of the new remodeled Amtrak trains. We really don't need to see Alaska for the umpteenth time, it was just an opportunity to get away from the stress for awhile....HA....stress....yeah right!

And I know Hawaii has testing requirements and maybe even some airlines, but at least we could be put on another flight should there be an unforeseen delay with the covid test, there's no room for flexibility with a cruise ship, that's what bothers me.  And I'm sure they'd find some way to blame the passengers on refunds.

Edited by atexsix

3 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

My understanding is that there is not that much room to wait at Pier 91, so it might not be an option. After the fiasco with Celebrity in Ft. Lauderdale, I would hate to be waiting outside the terminal for hours. It might not be as hot as Florida but it might be quit wet.

Me...I'd have my ducks in a row before I ever got on a plane.  But I still think they should offer it for those willing to take the chance, or who live in remote areas where testing is hard to access.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

These are the things we all have to weigh.  For us, we figured going in that if ports are missed or we mostly just get to enjoy the balcony or outside decks and someone else doing the cooking, that's enough in Alaska for a pandemic-era vacation.  Just getting away from regular routine sounds nice right about now.

Btw...the testing isn't a big deal.  Long gone are those long swabs deep in the nose. I was with both DD and DGD on separate occasions when they were tested, and it was quick as lightening and no discomfort.  Drive-through easiness.

I am with you on that! If I get to sit on my balcony and look at beautiful scenery and someone brings me food and booze, we are way ahead of being in our apartment in Brooklyn!

I have to say, the first test I had (for a medical procedure) was so easy! But at a recent test they guy seemed to have changed jobs from chimney sweep to covid tester. Yikes!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I'm just looking at Hawaii at the moment or one of the new remodeled Amtrak trains. We really don't need to see Alaska for the umpteenth time, it was just an opportunity to get away from the stress for awhile....HA....stress....yeah right!

Gotta do the test for Hawaii.  And they are super strict, with only approved testing facilities they've partnered with.  You have to set up an online account with the State of Hawaii, etc., etc.

2 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

I am with you on that! If I get to sit on my balcony and look at beautiful scenery and someone brings me food and booze, we are way ahead of being in our apartment in Brooklyn!

I have to say, the first test I had (for a medical procedure) was so easy! But at a recent test they guy seemed to have changed jobs from chimney sweep to covid tester. Yikes!!

Oh no!  That's funny, though, the way you describe it.

My DD did a drive-through that was at CVS.  She had to self-swab as a girl behind a window observed.  It was quick and painless and results came back really fast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Gotta do the test for Hawaii.  And they are super strict, with only approved testing facilities they've partnered with.  You have to set up an online account with the State of Hawaii, etc., etc.

That's fine.  Like I said, we have more flexibility with an airline.  72 hours is too narrow a window, 5 to 7 days is more realistic, especially on an all vax'd ship. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atexsix said:

And I know Hawaii has testing requirements and maybe even some airlines, but at least we could be put on another flight should there be an unforeseen delay with the covid test, there's no room for flexibility with a cruise ship, that's what bothers me.  And I'm sure they'd find some way to blame the passengers on refunds.

Actually I wouldn’t mind Hawaii. I had thought about it but it left my mind again.  It been about 32 years since I’ve been there.  I was 2 years old 😛😉.  It’s probably changed a bit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, adaemma said:

I live in Miami, last week the people waiting to board one of the Celebrity ships in FLL,  had to be in long line under the really hot sun.  911 was called to relieve those suffering from heat stroke.

That’s not good!  😢

27 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Go and enjoy!  Everything always seems to work out and many times things sound worse than they are!  I just made final payment for November (but can still cancel up until the 12th).   We decided we’re going and will just roll with it.  Definitely probably won’t feel  as normal as last week’s Cruise but will probably still be a good Cruise and worth going!  

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 3