Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

2 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

You all know that no rapid test goes to a lab correct?  All that CVS, Walgreens etc does is use the same test kit and it produces the results in minutes. The emed test is administered by someone on video chat with you. They see the results of the test and record it and send you the results electronically just like getting it done at a pharmacy. All Carnival is going to want to see is that some authority verified your results and that you are not showing up at the port with your at-home test kit showing them it says negative. 

again, everyone has to do their own homework and make their own choices. But this test is CDC approved and FDA authorized and if the federal government accepts it when returning home from a foreign country on an airline I’m pretty sure it’s ok for boarding a cruise ship. In addition John specifically addressed this one and said it’s fine to use. 

I'm just not sure Iwould want to take the chance of doing that test and finding out at the pier that Carnival won't accept it.  

2 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

You all know that no rapid test goes to a lab correct?  All that CVS, Walgreens etc does is use the same test kit and it produces the results in minutes. The emed test is administered by someone on video chat with you. They see the results of the test and record it and send you the results electronically just like getting it done at a pharmacy. All Carnival is going to want to see is that some authority verified your results and that you are not showing up at the port with your at-home test kit showing them it says negative. 

again, everyone has to do their own homework and make their own choices. But this test is CDC approved and FDA authorized and if the federal government accepts it when returning home from a foreign country on an airline I’m pretty sure it’s ok for boarding a cruise ship. In addition John specifically addressed this one and said it’s fine to use. 

I get that the rapid doesn’t go to a lab like a pcr, but a nurse practioner or whoever at the minute clinic, etc is reading it and certifying it.  If the emed kit is simply the binax now home kit…who’s reading your “pregnancy test stick” in front of you?  Do you just hold it up to the video chat person?  Or do you tell them what it says?  You’re still doing a “home test” as you take the sample, mix the solution, etc.   Just saying I wouldn’t stake my cruise on it based on a Facebook message and worry they’d deem that a home test unless I had no other option regardless of them sending you a digital email saying your status. 

I also get it’s cdc and fda approved as it wouldn’t be in the market if it wasn’t. Like molecular rapids are approved but no one takes them to travel. 

18 hours ago, SCBarker said:

This has been causing confusion on our FB roll call. Two separate people have posted these from two separate PVPs. Of course one says vaccinated and one says unvaccinated, but Carnival has stated 3 days in both instances. If they could just be more clear on what 3 days is, I guess.

FB_IMG_1628176804099.jpg.ca9cc7d3cd38168d90edea8b1424440c.jpg1226633735_FB_IMG_16281870479822.thumb.jpg.597881691bea161bbd5f78aeac7285f3.jpg

Getting confused,,,,didn't Heald say if you sail on Saturday you could test Wed,THurs, Fri for vacinnated?   We are leaving on cruise SUNDAY, like to go to Miami a few days early, but want to get the AntiGen test here at home before we leave. We are fully vacinnated...SO.......can we get it Thursday?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Getting confused,,,,didn't Heald say if you sail on Saturday you could test Wed,THurs, Fri for vacinnated?   We are leaving on cruise SUNDAY, like to go to Miami a few days early, but want to get the AntiGen test here at home before we leave. We are fully vacinnated...SO.......can we get it Thursday?

It certainly seems like you can get it Thursday. I believe some PVPs were giving bad advice the 1st day of the new rule, and they have been corrected since then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

It certainly seems like you can get it Thursday. I believe some PVPs were giving bad advice the 1st day of the new rule, and they have been corrected since then.

Agreed. The most consistent answer I have seen is that it isn't a 72 hr window from boarding. You must be tested one of the 3 days prior to embarkation day, although morning of is fine also.

3 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

But why drop 150 for 6 test kits when you can go to your CVS or Walgreens and have it be free?  Unless you're in an extreme rural area?

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But why drop 150 for 6 test kits when you can go to your CVS or Walgreens and have it be free?  Unless you're in an extreme rural area?

Walgreens is not offering an antigen test unless you are showing symptoms and for me there is no CVS within 100 miles. Some people really have very limited options. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

Walgreens is not offering an antigen test unless you are showing symptoms and for me there is no CVS within 100 miles. Some people really have very limited options. 

I am in the same situation.  Every testing location within about 50 miles of my home is only testing people with symptoms.  I’m still looking though, and hoping it all works out.

14 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

For those needing an antigen test check out https://www.emed.com

We ordered from them 6 total tests for $150.  Self administered at home via video chat.  They provide proof via their app in minutes that you can show as proof of a negative test result.  This is also accepted by several major air carriers as proof if you need to return home to the US from abroad.  We planned on taking them with us next month when we sail on the Pride just in case something happens and we needed to fly home.  Glad we bought them as we now have them for this new requirement.

I received them the day after i bought them, VERY fast shipping times.

One Note: These test are only good through January.  Their site says 12 months from manufacturing date, what they fail to disclose is that they made all the kits in January 2021, so no matter when you order the kit is only good til January 2022.  

Thank you for the info.  I will be watching to see if there are any initial problems, as I would be really nervous about being rejected at the pier during these early days. I want to give it some time to become routine, then I have a lot booked in the future and would be happy if it was that easy.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:52 AM, Shayhooper said:

Be careful with Walgreens. They offer a rapid test that is an Abbott ID Now test that is NOT an antigen or PCR test. It is a NAAT test but my understanding is not all NAAT tests are PCR and they are not antigen. They also have a rapid Bimax that IS an antigen test but they are only offering that to people who have been exposed or are showing symptoms. 

Thanks for the information.  I was confused about which Walgreens testing was the one to use.  Checked with our Walgreens yesterday and they said lately the turnaround time is 4-5 days for PCR and the nearest BiMAX is three states away so it is going to be CVS for us.

13 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I am in the same situation.  Every testing location within about 50 miles of my home is only testing people with symptoms.  I’m still looking though, and hoping it all works out.

Do you have Quest in your area? CVS does not test in our state, and we can only get PCR at Walgreens. I was able to schedule test for next week at a Quest location. It is a PCR test, but they say that results are typically available the next the day. It is no cost to you.

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test

14 minutes ago, melaniesmom said:

Do you have Quest in your area? CVS does not test in our state, and we can only get PCR at Walgreens. I was able to schedule test for next week at a Quest location. It is a PCR test, but they say that results are typically available the next the day. It is no cost to you.

Thank you for suggesting Quest.  The nearest Quest location in Washington State is about 150 miles from my town.  The good news is that I have managed to schedule an appointment for a PCR test 3 days before my cruise at an airport location about 50 miles from home.  They say results are usually available in 1-2 days.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by nwcruiselover

38 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Thank you for the info.  I will be watching to see if there are any initial problems, as I would be really nervous about being rejected at the pier during these early days. I want to give it some time to become routine, then I have a lot booked in the future and would be happy if it was that easy.

I will be doing a live from on our 9/19 Pride sailing. I know that doesn’t help the people traveling in the next few weeks but I will be sharing how everything works. 

as I have said before it’s up to each person individually. But the emed test provides you with a digital card showing your name, dob, test time and result. Again it’s my belief that all carnival is protecting against is someone showing up at the port with a stick that shows the test was negative. If you show up with documentation from a vendor that meets the requirements it should be good, again because we are vaccinated already. Totally different case for those unvaccinated with having the PCR requirement. So we are going to use them since we had already bought them for another purpose. 

also a side note our TA just sent us an email that our itinerary has changed. No more Grand Turk for us which is too bad it’s one of our favorite places. Now it’s Bimini. Never been there before!

4 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Whomever posted that “cheat sheet” should be fired! (Okay, that’s a bit extreme, but these PVRs are giving out so much bad info).  Yes, fully vaccinated, sailing on Sunday …test either T, F, or S - or sun morning if you can get results that quick.  Just to be safe, I am taking along a screenshot of the J Heald post if I am questioned at the port.  But you’re right, it is very confusing.

• Like 1

We are scheduled for a 14 day Hawaiian cruise on Nov. 28th.  3 days prior to this is Thanksgiving so everything will be closed.  The following day, Friday, I could do the test, but the following day, the 26th, we will be driving from Arizona to Cali so won't be available to get the results.  We will be staying in Cali on Sat, the 27th and supposed to be sailing the next day.  How do I get my results back when I'm not available in time for sailing??

Someone please give me a hand???

3 hours ago, melaniesmom said:

Thanks for the Quest link.  Was planning on going to a local CVS minute clinic for the Antigen test, but since the PCR test is more reliable opted for it at Quest. Have appointments lined up for Thursday at noon for a Sunday embarkation.

so here's my question. we are in the UK and fully vaccinated. we fly into the usa 24hrs before the cruise departs. We land in the evening and will struggle to get somewhere to get tested. can we bring test results from a test taken in the UK before we depart?

20 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

so here's my question. we are in the UK and fully vaccinated. we fly into the usa 24hrs before the cruise departs. We land in the evening and will struggle to get somewhere to get tested. can we bring test results from a test taken in the UK before we depart?

It sounds like you could use those test results as long as the test was performed within the 3 days immediately preceding the cruise.  However, it would be best to check with your TA or Carnival to be sure.  Good luck!

On 8/5/2021 at 9:29 AM, grillinchillin said:

image.png.d58d89fbb43e156061e08a8e93567665.png

I just read John Heald"s information, and it was calculated that for a Monday cruise, you could get tested three days before, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  He said time of day is not important it is not 72 hours.  

On 8/5/2021 at 3:26 PM, undertoes10 said:

Since no one can reach Carnival including my TA, can someone venture to guess when the 72 hour covid test begins and ends?  If cruise is on Saturday, can test be taken Wednesday for Saturday arrival onto Ship which is 4 days from test date to Sail date or must it be done on Thursday which would make Saturday the 72 hour window.?  Is it 72 hours from the results or the actual date of the test?

And B2B, will test be done at port free since we can't get a 72 hour test in the middle of the ocean.

They do not count the hours. It is 3 days. If your cruise is Saturday, you can test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. John Heald also said you can even  test on that Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, sanger727 said:

While it would be convenient from the standpoint of arranging a test, this brings it's own set of challenges. 

Option 1: Planned flight to Florida on Friday with cruise Saturday. Get antigen test Thursday and test positive. Call airlines and get a voucher. Call Carnival and get FCC. stuck at home for 10 days but that is what it is.

Option 2: Take flight to Florida on Friday and arrive at cruise terminal Saturday. Get rapid test at pier and positive. Already taken the flight so can't get a voucher on that. Cruise line should give you a voucher but now you are either stuck in Florida in a hotel room for 10 days or taking an expensive medical flight home. 

between those two I pick option 1

I would pick Option 1 as well, however, why not take the test on Weds., if test is positive (which could very well be a false positive), then schedule another one for Thursday early morning (if possible) and keep fingers crossed for a negative result?  If positive, then we have the rest of the day on Thursday and/or Friday to contact the airlines and Carnival. 

1 hour ago, DB2VA said:

I just read John Heald"s information, and it was calculated that for a Monday cruise, you could get tested three days before, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  He said time of day is not important it is not 72 hours.  

And if it was 72 hours that would be even more complicated for someone flying in from Europe 5 time zones different.  At least they did something good with 3 days versus 72 hours.

• Like 1