No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

I do not think that finding a place to get an accepted covid test at a port is rocket science.  

Nor do I believe that it is the cruise line's responsibility to arrange them. If they do fine.

Our preference would always be to do the research on our own, make our own arrangements, and not to depend on the cruise line or have to wait in their line up to get the test.

This may be because we are fairly independent travelers.  We would rather arrange for it ourselves, with room for error, and be safe rather sorry when it come to boarding the ship rather than depending on the cruise line.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I booked a November cruise r/t San Diego on board the Nieuw Amsterdam last Friday.  Final payment was Sunday, then I read at the HAL web page about the 72 hour prior to boarding Covid requirement.  Not happy about that.  I spent all day searching for places that will do a rapid antigen test in our desert community.  Our health plan does test but  in the 1- 3 day period, which will not work for us.  I found one company locally that does a rapid antigen in 30 minutes for $129 in addition to more expensive tests that take a little longer.  Hopefully we can submit it to our insurance, but I will consider it a "shore excursion for good' health if not.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, iancal said:

I do not think that finding a place to get an accepted covid test at a port is rocket science.  

Nor do I believe that it is the cruise line's responsibility to arrange them. If they do fine.

Our preference would always be to do the research on our own, make our own arrangements, and not to depend on the cruise line or have to wait in their line up to get the test.

Or maybe you have more time to do these things since you have often mentioned you do things on the fly as you are retired.  Just because your prefer to do things a certain way, doesn't mean everyone should.  Just because you don't believe it is not the cruise lines responsibility doesn't make it so.  People will just give up (that don't have endless amounts of free time) and cancel instead of jumping threw endless hoops.  Pretty sure that going to hurt the cruise line. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Or maybe you have more time to do these things since you have often mentioned you do things on the fly as you are retired.  Just because your prefer to do things a certain way, doesn't mean everyone should.  Just because you don't believe it is not the cruise lines responsibility doesn't make it so.  People will just give up (that don't have endless amounts of free time) and cancel instead of jumping threw endless hoops.  Pretty sure that going to hurt the cruise line. 

It took me all of 15 minutes to research what locations, what tests,  were available to us in the Athens, Greece  area, plus the price and how to make a reservation.  We require a PCR test in order to fly home and enter the country.

Probably a LOT less time than it would take me to research this on CC or be on hold for some cruise line hoping that they could direct me.

This is hardly the responsibility of the airline or Government.  If we have a successful test we can go.  Failure to get the test is completely down to us....we will only have ourselves to blame.

I would not consider 15 minutes an 'endless amount of time'. 

It took about 2 minutes max to type in covid tests in Seattle and get a list and a map of vendors providing those services. Same for FLL. MIA.

Easy to blame the cruise line.   Who would you blame if this test was required to enter Hawaii or a foreign country.  The state or country Governments.  Who would you realistically expect to pay the cost?

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, iancal said:

It took me all of 15 minutes to research what locations, what tests,  were available to us in the Athens, Greece  area, plus the price and how to make a reservation.  We require a PCR test in order to fly home and enter the country.

Probably a LOT less time than it would take me to research this on CC or be on hold for some cruise line hoping that they could direct me.

This is hardly the responsibility of the airline or Government.  If we have a successful test we can go.  Failure to get the test is completely down to us....we will only have ourselves to blame.

It took about 2 minutes max to type in covid tests in Seattle and get a list and a map of vendors providing those services. Same for FLL. MIA.

Easy to blame the cruise line.   Who would you blame if this test was required to enter Hawaii or a foreign country.  The state or country Governments.  Who would you realistically expect to pay the cost?

Good for you.  Maybe you should help people that are struggling to find these tests.  Did you actually book all these tests?  Finding is one thing, booking is another.  Until you have actually booked all these tests the theory means zero.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

I guess I believe that it is entirely up to me to present myself at the cruise check in desk with the appropriate documentation.

If I do not have it, it is entirely down to me.  I only have to look in the mirror for some one blame.

The task of arranging for a pre cruise covid test is nothing compared to the challenges of those who are having serious covid health and financial challenges.   

Really...people need to step up, take responsibility for themselves and move forward rather than expect someone else to take responsibility or crying for it or about it.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Good attitude.

🙂Thanks!  Ironically, we have  European River Cruise in September, and the CDC Covid vaccination card is all we need to  enter the Netherlands and Switzerland, and board our ship.   The cruise line is providing the test to return to the US at no cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Norwegian Line was testing at the Marriott prior to their embarkation. If you could seen the lines of people I would prefer to receive mine prior to arrival.

Norwegian is requiring testing at the pier, prior to boarding.  100% vaccinated people, as well as crew.  I'm ok with that.  

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Hey, I actually found a ton of information on the US Embassy page on where to find testing in each country. Did you know that Greece caps rapid antigen tests at 20 Euros? The cheapest I could find by me starts at $100, which I hadn't really planned on spending. The CDC also has a pretty thorough FAQ.

Hawaii's Safe Travels website informs me that my family would need neither a covid test or to quarantine since we're all fully vaccinated. It'd be a bit of a bummer if that were to suddenly change 10 days before my flight and after I made all my travel arrangements. In case I would need testing, it has a pretty convenient list of all the Trusted Travel Partners. They, too, have a pretty robust FAQ.

HAL has made a ton of improvements to their website, but OMG the original release was a bit of a mess for people who leave this Saturday and have flights and hotels, trips planned before they board. I can actually drive to the port and am super familiar with testing options by me but we're dealing with a bit of squeeze here since the county started shutting some sites down to focus on mass vaccinations, more people need to get tested again because of Delta, they can't promise 72 hour turnaround, we don't have rapid testing available unless your symptomatic or having a procedure done, the covid testing sites geared toward travel are all south of the embarkation port around the airport and we live much farther north plus they can cost an arm and a leg for a family of 4 if insurance doesn't pick up the tab.

Should HAL cover all it? I don't know if I'd argue for that. Ideally they would try to make at the pier testing available at reduced rates since they could bulk pricing. At the least, those of us who are traveling really soon and didn't have testing on our radar of things to do before leaving should be allowed to vent on here. Just don't yell at any HAL reps.

The PCR tests required to enter Canada are priced at $150-200 USD in Puerta Vallarta.

The same test is 40-60E in Greece.   The Greek Government has set a price ceiling of 60E for the shot.  Smart.

There are huge margins in these tests.  Travelers are being fleeced.

More over we have read that some of the tests in Mexico are scams. 

No idea about the antigen tests.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I guess I believe that it is entirely up to me to present myself at the cruise check in desk with the appropriate documentation.

If I do not have it, it is entirely down to me.  I only have to look in the mirror for some one blame.

The task of arranging for a pre cruise covid test is nothing compared to the challenges of those who are having serious covid health and financial challenges.   

Really...people need to step up, take responsibility for themselves and move forward rather than expect someone else to take responsibility or crying for it or about it.

I think you overestimate the capabilities of the average cruiser.  Be it time, IT knowledge, understanding of the differences in tests, many want or need a helping hand.  Those like yourself (and probably me for that matter) who can do it independently, great, that works as well.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Couldn't agree more!

14 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Couldn't agree more!

Tampa Girl, would you feel differently depending on the luxury level of the cruise?  I think I would.  Normally we are extremely independent, but it was kinda jarring to read the post here of the Seabourn passenger who was not offered assistance in obtaining a test.  I think I'd expect a bit more hand-holding from a luxury line.  Same as I would from upper-tier hotel.  I don't expect too much from a mainstream cruise line.

I'm genuinely curious to hear thoughts on this, as we are in new territory and expectations are being set.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, syesmar said:

I wonder when passengers who don’t have access to texts, or even email, will find out? Is the test immediately before boarding being provided by Seabourn?

Best wishes and safe travels for you and your family!

SEABOURN UPDATE: All guests must now present a negative COVID-19 test (antigen or PCR) taken within 3 days of embark at the pier; go to *****/3fNJrF7 for details. You must also complete the Greek government's PLF before arriving in Greece, present original proof of vaccination at the pier, and arrive no earlier than your assigned check-in time. Install our Seabourn Source app for important updates: *****/SBNSource

When one opens the link, it says they are still testing at the pier AND you have to show your vaccine card AND have a test 72 hours before boarding. It’s on HAL letterhead. I didn’t realize they were the same company, other than under the Carnival Corp umbrella. The pre-cruise hotel is arranging it for us.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Tampa Girl, would you feel differently depending on the luxury level of the cruise?  I think I would.  Normally we are extremely independent, but it was kinda jarring to read the post here of the Seabourn passenger who was not offered assistance in obtaining a test.  I think I'd expect a bit more hand-holding from a luxury line.  Same as I would from upper-tier hotel.  I don't expect too much from a mainstream cruise line.

I'm genuinely curious to hear thoughts on this, as we are in new territory and expectations are being set.

I am traveling with my family and have booked very  nice rooms on Seabourn. I would have expected them to have laid out their worst case scenario game plan for us in advance so we could be prepared. I realize that this is a fluid situation, but it will be for years it’s a virus. I don’t like having new demands set 36 hours before I fly out. That is not luxury or a  “worry free promise”. 

I read of another lady on here who sails on the 15th from Athens; coming from FL and she is scared of the unknown problems that could arise. That’s not being unprepared or blaming others, it’s desiring to be ready. Some folks responses to her were unkind.

Cruising should be fun. Luxury cruising should be inclusive, IMHO.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, leaj said:

I read of another lady on here who sails on the 15th from Athens; coming from FL and she is scared of the unknown problems that could arise. That’s not being unprepared or blaming others, it’s desiring to be ready. Some folks responses to her were unkind.

I completely agree.  The lack of grace amazes me.  

• Like 3

I just talked to a very nice guy at Carbon Health.  They have multiple locations around Seattle for travel testing.  They do have people booking for their Alaska cruises.  They offer the Rapid PCR test with results in about 3 hours and the next day PCR test.  The first is $165 and second is $150.  The information on their website and on their phone is excellent.  Insurance is not accepted.  Most of the locations are walk up, but he did say there are some drive up.  They are open until 7pm every night.  You can book an appointment online or you can call.  If you have specific questions, they do suggest that you call and they are happy to answer your questions.  https://carbonhealth.com/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-centers/washington/Seattle

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Norwegian Line was testing at the Marriott prior to their embarkation. If you could seen the lines of people I would prefer to receive mine prior to arrival.

The only reason there were long lines for this first cruise of NCL is because Eurofins Clinical that is conducting the covid testing had their computer system crashed. Prior to that happening it was going quite smoothly. NCL is paying for this for their passengers. It is being conducted at the Marriot Resort that is across the street from pier 66. Passengers can log on and make an appointment prior to their assigned boarding time. Stuff happens and Eurofins has promised NCL they will not have issues for upcoming weeks but all in all NCL passengers are happy with what NCL is doing for them. Go over to their CC board, you will not have people stressed out about paying for or trying to locate a place they can be tested. NCL is just handling it for them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The only reason there were long lines for this first cruise of NCL is because Eurofins Clinical that is conducting the covid testing had their computer system crashed. Prior to that happening it was going quite smoothly. NCL is paying for this for their passengers. It is being conducted at the Marriot Resort that is across the street from pier 66. Passengers can log on and make an appointment prior to their assigned boarding time. Stuff happens and Eurofins has promised NCL they will not have issues for upcoming weeks but all in all NCL passengers are happy with what NCL is doing for them. Go over to their CC board, you will not have people stressed out about paying for or trying to locate a place they can be tested. NCL is just handling it for them. 

Thank you Lisa. You are a wonderful resource for accurate information.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks Lisa.  Sounds like a great system to me 👍 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I just talked to a very nice guy at Carbon Health.  They have multiple locations around Seattle for travel testing.  They do have people booking for their Alaska cruises.  They offer the Rapid PCR test with results in about 3 hours and the next day PCR test.  The first is $165 and second is $150.  The information on their website and on their phone is excellent.  Insurance is not accepted.  Most of the locations are walk up, but he did say there are some drive up.  They are open until 7pm every night.  You can book an appointment online or you can call.  If you have specific questions, they do suggest that you call and they are happy to answer your questions.  https://carbonhealth.com/coronavirus/covid-19-testing-centers/washington/Seattle

It is really that easy.   Google covid tests in Seattle.   Carbon Health, locations along with lots of other suppliers come up.

Complete with location map, phone numbers, website, and identifies which vendors require appts or have restrictions.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=lf:1&tbm=lcl&q=covid+tests+in+seattle&rflfq=1&num=10&ved=2ahUKEwiAs9f09afyAhVR-Z4KHcDECOYQtgN6BAgrEAM

As the OP said, all it takes is a phone call to to move forward with this.  Or in the case of Carbon book on line by selecting a date and clicking on a time.

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, Shippy said:

MSC is testing ALL people at the Miami pier, Vaccinated or not.

You cannot bring your own test results.

Vaccinated people are tested at no charge. Unvaccinated people must pay.

no test...no cruise

That is how I would prefer it done but there is also something to be said for not flying to a location to find out you have a positive result.  

• Like 3