1st passanger > Shore excursion credit

janroatan

Question about shore excursion credits/ 1st passenger: my husband and I may wish to go on different shore excursions at same port, as the $50 credit is applied to the 1st passenger only,for example, could I book under my husbands name( he,s 1st passenger) and take the shore excursion myself?

Edited by janroatan

I think if you do it on the NCL phone app, it allows you to select which passenger(s) and then see the totals before confirming.  So just select yourself and see if that excursion credit applies before confirmation.

In the past, the tour operators usually have not checked the names on the tickets when you board their tour bus.  Things may be different now with COVID protocols in place.  They may actually ask for ID.  If the ship's staff discover that you have switched tickets, however, that's another can of worms.  It's not likely they would do much other than reprice the ticket, causing you to forfeit your shore excursion credit for that port.  It's possible, though, that they could find some technicality that your actions have violated some provision of your cruise contract.  In that case they could put you off the ship and leave you stranded.  Again, it's not likely, but is saving $50 worth the risk?  My wife and I booked a Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago, shortly before the new rules about shore excursion credits went into effect.  She's a scuba diver.  I'm not.  In most ports my plan was to just stroll through the town while she used our tour credit to go diving.  When NCL announced the changes, we rebooked the cruise to list her as the primary passenger so she would get the discount on tours.  Our NCL agent was able to take care of the change with no worries.

3 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Shore Excursion credit is per cabin.

So regardless how many shore excursions you take, your cabin will be credited $50 after the completion a shore excursion per port.

That is the way the system used to work, but NCL revised it just prior to the COVID suspension of sailings.  Now the primary passenger in each cabin is entitled to a $50 credit on all shore excursions which he or she takes.  Other passengers in the stateroom receive no discount.  The benefit is not transferable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Shore Excursion credit is per cabin.

So regardless how many shore excursions you take, your cabin will be credited $50 after the completion a shore excursion per port.

So you are saying its only $50 per port, not per excursion?

3 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

That is the way the system used to work, but NCL revised it just prior to the COVID suspension of sailings.  Now the primary passenger in each cabin is entitled to a $50 credit on all shore excursions which he or she takes.  Other passengers in the stateroom receive no discount.  The benefit is not transferable.

Thanks for the update.  I was not aware of this change either.  Only one excursion planned and both wife and I are on it.

Some folks will find this helpful...

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

$50 USD Shore Excursion Credit
Offer is applicable to first guest on the cruise reservation.
The first guest shall receive free shore excursions priced at $50 or less (“the promotion”)
In the alternative, first guest will receive $50 in Shore Excursion Credits to apply against shore excursions priced greater than $50.
$50 Shore Excursion Credit is applicable to all tours, including debarkation tours.
In the event the tour is less than the value of the credit the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be adjusted to match the tour value.
The first guest may redeem the promotion of $50 Shore Excursion Credit on more than one shore excursion per port.
Latitude Members Discount is combinable with the $50 Shore Excursion Credit.
In the case of multiple excursion credits or discounts, the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied first followed by any additional shore excursion discounts.
In the event a port of call or shore excursion is canceled, the guest will be refunded the amount that the guest paid for the excursion.
For shore excursions purchased prior to cruise, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits will be applied to the first guest at time of purchase.
For shore excursions purchased onboard, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied to the first guest’s onboard account.
Please see additional restrictions below:

• If the first guest purchases shore excursions tickets for other guests, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit will not apply to such tickets.
  • The first guest cannot purchase shore excursions for themselves where the duration of such excursions overlap in time.
  • For port calls in Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest Caye, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit does not apply to equipment rentals.
  • Pre-cruise and post-cruise land tours are not eligible for this promotion.
  • $50 Shore Excursion Credit has no monetary value, are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for actual currency of any value.
  • Other guest in the stateroom are not eligible to receive the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits.

Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by booking online via NCL.com, by calling 1-866-625-1167, or onboard.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, janroatan said:

So you are saying its only $50 per port, not per excursion?

No, it's $50 per excursion for the first passenger.  If you can book multiple excursions that don't conflict, you will be credited for each excursion.

@julig22

If you can book multiple excursions that don't conflict, you will be credited for each excursion.

How long will it take NCL to rewrite that condition so that what is stated is what I think they mean?

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has received the $50 for EACH of two excursions on the same day.   I would be astounded if anyone has.

I believe what NCL is tying to cover is that during an overnight (or multiple night) stop the first person in the cabin could receive the $50 for one trip each day.

If I am right then NCL, as usual, has failed to have its regulations read by a pedantic cynic!!!!

12 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

If you can book multiple excursions that don't conflict, you will be credited for each excursion.

How long will it take NCL to rewrite that condition so that what is stated is what I think they mean?

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has received the $50 for EACH of two excursions on the same day.   I would be astounded if anyone has.

I have done 2 excursions on the same day more than once - and got $50 for each.  Thought it was an error (in my favor for once!) the first time it happened.

25 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Has anyone tried to challenge this change from per cabin (in the old days) to the first passenger ONLY?  It appears that NCL has found yet another way of saving pennies and annoying passengers.

I would suspect that they also got quite a few complaints when the benefit was split, so six of one, half dozen of the other.  It was never per cabin as far as I know (which would be an accounting nightmare), although I believe you were always able to have the benefit go to the primary guest.

43 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

I believe what NCL is tying to cover is that during an overnight (or multiple night) stop the first person in the cabin could receive the $50 for one trip each day.

If I am right then NCL, as usual, has failed to have its regulations read by a pedantic cynic!!!!

It appears to work for me, I want to do whale watching and the tram trip in Juneau, Alaska

& Totem park and duck tour in Ketchikan, Alaska

In both cases they go into the basket with both getting a $50 discount along with Latitude discount applied.

Interestingly I thought I would have to book the afternoon Whale watch as both the morning whale watch and tram start (clash) at 8am even though the tram can be used unlimited for 24 hours so does not really have a fixed time. 

In the case of this stop, even if I put both in my basket at 8am they both have all the discounts right through to final payment page.

I have not completed at this stage as we are too far out, but I have gone as far as entering credit card number page.

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

Has anyone tried to challenge this change from per cabin (in the old days) to the first passenger ONLY?  It appears that NCL has found yet another way of saving pennies and annoying passengers.

Challenge it on what basis?  They are a private company setting terms and conditions on a perk they are providing. No one is forcing anyone to sail with them. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

It was never per cabin as far as I know (which would be an accounting nightmare), although I believe you were always able to have the benefit go to the primary guest.

Under the old promo, it was indeed $50 per cabin, per port (with a clarification that for Bermuda, with the overnights, each stateroom received a $150 credit).

https://www.ncl.com/in/en/specials-and-promotions/choice

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

I have an upcoming cruise with excursions scheduled... in Harvest Caye, I signed up for two excursions, and got the $50 for each.

37 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Under the old promo, it was indeed $50 per cabin, per port (with a clarification that for Bermuda, with the overnights, each stateroom received a $150 credit).

https://www.ncl.com/in/en/specials-and-promotions/choice

In the US, the promo was either split or applied to one person and the devil was in the details (T&C's), not necessarily what the lead-in ad says.  If the promo is different in other countries and not split or applied to a single passenger, then I apologize - your link (India) doesn't link to the T&C's (site on permanent vacation).  The equivalent US page says:

Free Excursions

Save $50 per Shore Excursion with Shore Excursion Credits.

But when you go to the T&C's, this is what you get:

The first guest shall receive free shore excursions priced at $50 or less (“the promotion”)

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

In the US, the promo was either split or applied to one person and the devil was in the details (T&C's), not necessarily what the lead-in ad says.  If the promo is different in other countries and not split or applied to a single passenger, then I apologize - your link (India) doesn't link to the T&C's (site on permanent vacation).  The equivalent US page says:

Free Excursions

Save $50 per Shore Excursion with Shore Excursion Credits.

But when you go to the T&C's, this is what you get:

As you’ve seen, the only T&Cs that can be found now are the current ones, which  for the shorex promo are $50 for the first guest, no limit on the number of shorex per port. (That’s what you’ve quoted.) But as others have said here and in other threads, it was previously $50 per cabin per port. 

No reason to beat this horse any longer; those aren’t the terms now. 

On 8/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, julig22 said:

No, it's $50 per excursion for the first passenger.  If you can book multiple excursions that don't conflict, you will be credited for each excursion.

Up to a total of $50.  If excursion #1 is $65, you will be charged $15 and all other excursions will be full price.  If excursion #1 is $35 you will be charged $0 and have $15 left over for another excursion.

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Up to a total of $50.  If excursion #1 is $65, you will be charged $15 and all other excursions will be full price.  If excursion #1 is $35 you will be charged $0 and have $15 left over for another excursion.

Nope.  You get up to $50 credit for each and every excursion that passenger #1 can manage to take during their time in port.  Scroll up and read the T&Cs that were posted- where it specifically states that it applies to more than 1 excursion.  And I've done it more than once.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, julig22 said:

Nope.  You get up to $50 credit for each and every excursion that passenger #1 can manage to take during their time in port.  Scroll up and read the T&Cs that were posted- where it specifically states that it applies to more than 1 excursion.  And I've done it more than once.

Yes it states that you can spread the $50 per port across multiple excursiona at any given port.  You do not get $50 per excursions, it is per port.