The Daily for Saturday August 07, 2021

richwmn

Today is Campfire Day, International Beer Day, and National Clown Day

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. - Soren Kierkegaard"

Meal suggestion for today - Vegetarian Chicken-Fried Portobello Mushroom Steaks

Drink of the Day - Bloody Aztec

Wine of the day - Brovia 2016 Garblèt Suè (Barolo) Piedmont

Destination of the Day - Glacier Bay

Ships with Passengers

Seattle, WA
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Ensenada MX eta 8/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0807World.thumb.png.1d3616155872110f00ad8fabdd9effc6.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I don't drink beer very often, and I don't like clowns.  Haven't sat around a campfire in years.

Love that quote.

Not sure about the meal suggestion, but I'm putting a beef roast in the slow cooker for our meal tonight.

The drink does not sound appetizing, hope the wine is good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Glacier Bay.  We were there on our first cruise 20 years ago, maybe we'll have to plan a return visit.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the sailaway Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute both campfires and clowns but will pass on the beer.  I love the Kierkegaard quote.  Glacier Bay is awesome.  Vegetarian steak does not sound appealing.  My alternative is Assorted Garden Greens, Marinated Pineapple Spears and Tagallatelle Verdi Alla Conti as served on MS Prinsendam August 7, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Those on the float plane that went down and their families
 Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Out of ICU)
St Louis Cruisers brush with Covid and missing graduation
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard msmayor
Bon Voyage Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8

Front Line Health Care Workers
Neptune suite for Aliaschief
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
Ger_77's family visit
garlictown in Maui
Better outcome than expected for Ger_77's friend
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy Saturday.  Always loved the smell of a campfire, but not safe now.  Not a beer drinker and dislike clowns.  I really like the quote.  The meal sounds interesting.   Have been to Glacier day, will look for photos.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Several recipes for today's drink.  Will have to try this one.

Bloody Aztec:

How To make a Bloody Aztec
Pour tequila and crème de cacao into a cocktail shaker, add ice and mix. Pour red food colouring into bottom of a rocks glass. Pour contents of shaker into rocks glass. Do not stir.
Social and Cocktail says:
As opposed to the Bloody Mary the Bloody Aztec uses red colouring instead of tomato and the tequila replaces the vodka. The chocolate flavours paired with the agave notes of the tequila create a very interesting combination. Worth a try.

Ingredients
1 oz El Fogonero silver tequila
1 oz White Crème de Cocoa Liqueur
1 oz Cream

Shake & Pour
1. Fill a mixing glass with ice.
2. Add in all the ingredients.
3. Shake well.
4. Pour into a cocktail glass.
5. Sparkle chocolate on top.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 7.03.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.59.30 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all and thank you for the daily report.  On a hot summer day an ice cold beer is refreshing.  A campfire brings back so many memories of when I was a Boy Scout.  I’ve never liked clowns so they’ll have to celebrate on their own.  The quote is good advice for everyone.  The meal suggestion sounds good but we’re having friends over for dinner and Seafood Newburg is on the menu.  Glacier Bay is a magical place, I hope to return again soon.  Prayers to all those in need especially the six poor souls who perished in Misty Fjord.  Hats off to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 26

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F and cloudy here.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and looking forward to Roy's care reports.

I remember the camp fires when I was in the Sea Scouts and we regularly went camping.

I like a  beer where I can taste the hops.

I've never really liked clowns.

The meal suggestion sounds tasty but not sure of the drink.

An excellent quote for today.

We called at the cemetery this morning and put fresh flowers on Pauline's grandparents and also her baby brothers grave.

Pauline made a picnic of Prawn and smoked salmon sandwiches and we popped down to our local beach car park to eat them.

Today is the start of the English football season so I will be watching my team Sunderland later.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

16283361472147665474031483576844.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone.   

It was a good trip to Columbus yesterday and also good to see some friends for the first time in almost two years.  

My neighbors and I occasionally get together around the fire pit for an outdoor happy hour.  We started that at the beginning of the pandemic and continue the practice.  I'll skip the beer and leave the clowns in the circus.  

@rafinmd How strange that you need moderator approval.   Didn't that happen to someone else on this thread?

Today's meal might appeal to the vegetarians in the family.  Seems like a lot of work for a mushroom to me, but I'm a dedicated carnivore.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/vegetarian-chicken-fried-portobello-mushroom-steaks-3363569

1890278247_Vegetarianchickenfriedportobellomushroomsteaks.jpeg.06b400cd27e5a1e3cb79b1eeb9d58485.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich for the daily. I love the quote and all of the days celebrations. Campfires remind me of my scouting and RVing days, a good beer on a hot day always a winner. As a committed carnivore, the meal doesn’t appeal to me. Roy, sorry that you’re temporarily in moderator confinement. I’ll check back later for cares and celebrations.

• Like 19

Good morning and  thanks,Rich, for  the  Daily. I  am  not  a  fan  of  clowns  and  now  drink  non  alcoholic  beer. I  remember  campfires  but  I  think  they  would be  dangerous  in  a  lot  of  areas  now  due  to  wildfires. The  recipe  looks  interesting  and  I  am  pondering  the  quote.

Thanks  again  to  @ger_77, for  the  porcupine  ball  recipe. It  was  a  big  hit  last  night  and  our  guest  told  me  he  really  liked  it. It  was  high  praise  indeed.  He  and  DH  were  discussing  the  many  ways  chicken  shows  up  on  the  menu  and  I  got  the  hint!

It  is  warm  and  muggy  here  already  and  our  two  dog  walk  was  a  bit  of  a  chore. The  dogs  are  the  same  age  but  ours  has  endless  energy. Tana's  dog  is a  regular couch  potato  and  needs encouragement  to continue  on  the  route.

Glacier  Bay  is  a  wonderful  place  that  we  have  been  to  twice.

It  is  so  nice  to  have  LIVE  trip  reports  from  Alaska  again!

Terry

• Like 25

Five AM here but are bodies say seven AM Central. Great dinner at Elliott’s Seafood waterfront.

Marriott provides a shuttle for $10.00 each so we will be leaving for Pier 91 around 11:15.

The Alaskan Red Crab legs last night were the best crab I have ever had.

Thanks for the Daily.

image.thumb.jpeg.5653f542b604cc4dae5329cd478585bf.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For some reason my post today needs moderator approval.

Roy

As you may recall that happened to me because I mentioned a particular Captain's name in my post.  If you can't figure out what word is objectionable and try posting again, then try clicking on the report button on your above post and explain what happened.  Otherwise it could be 6 or 8 hours before a moderator gets to it.  

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. Today is going to be a real scorcher. Real feel temps at 96degrees. Our NY daughter is coming for a visit. Today is her first day as an empty nester. Sam has given her driving directions to a local ice cream store so she can bring us some dessert.

Strange that Roy’s post needs moderator approval. I’ll come back later to check on it. I’ve been to Glacier bay but know I won’t be able to find pictures.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 24

Good morning everyone!  Sorry to hear about Roy's post being objectionable but I'm sure it's just one of those "who knows why" type of things.  Thanks Rich for your work today putting the Daily together for us.  We should call you the publisher.  

I am sad because we can't be in Cincinnati today to watch our grandson graduate 15 months late due to Covid, but DD sent me a link so we can watch it live from home.  Ceremonies begin at 9 am eastern.  I hope we don't have any technical difficulties today!

Sending my best wishes to all our CC friends who will be boarding Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle.  I can't wait to see how their cruise goes this week.  I'm also hoping to hear from Jeannie (Pescado Amarillo) on her blog since she hasn't been able to post for several days.  She will be on the Majestic Princess next so no doubt will have some type of internet package there.

Like many on here we've been to Glacier Bay several times and enjoyed its natural beauty each time.  Seems appropriate it is port destination of the day during the early weeks of the 2021 Alaska season.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHE7MxJiwV0rLtlbJ2lhWR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! An interesting combo of days.

Roy, it will be interesting to find out what is going on with your post. Sandi, I remember when you had to use a code name for a certain Captain. And I also remember Rich having a problem posting one morning. Didn’t we almost send out an APB for the Daily that day?

Morning Dailyite family. It is a lovely day here this morning. Lots of loud thunder and rain last night. But just before it got dark we had a gorgeous double rainbow.  

I have a lazy day planned, though I do need to get out and do some dead-heading. I overdid it yesterday. Two grocery stores, the Post Office and the normal routine of Bindi walks was too much for this zombie leg of mine. 

Heading to a friend’s for tapas and wine this evening. I will be bringing a bottle of NZ Sauvignon blanc with me. It has a great rating and was only $11.99 at the grocery store. 

@Heartgrove, you have inspired me.  I need to hunt for this Icelandic ale locally.

3C73D9C2-35E9-4AD6-8916-29EB4EF1EEF0.thumb.jpeg.129072b6da5cddef1912f1c5d1bc4bc6.jpeg

Looking forward to pics of Glacier Bay. I was there in 1995, was supposed to be there this September, but if all goes well - will be there in September 2022.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

Brovia 2016 Garblèt Suè (Barolo) Piedmont

This wine sounds amazing. The lowest rating I saw was 96. But the lowest price online was, gulp, $104.00! Definitely outside my price range. 

Notes

Garblèt Sué struts the combination of power and impressively nervy core that makes this such an exciting, high-wire act wine. Garblèt Sué is a south/southeast-facing vineyard with predominantly limestone soils that are felt in the wine's kinetic intensity.  

Typically, there's a certain ruggedness to the wine. The 2016 Garblèt Sué consolidates these qualities and adds an uncommon amount of refinement to the wine. Antonio Galloni is spot on when he writes that 2016 "is incredibly sensual, with finer tannins than are the norm." 

As we said recently, the 2016 Piedmont vintage almost miraculously combines concentration with finesse and detail. The 2016 Garblèt Sué possesses a mysterious and subtle depth of complexity that's seriously compelling. 

For years, Brovia has been making some of the greatest classical Barolos around with prices that haven't caught up with their peers. The 2016 vintage represents one of their best efforts to date. Don't miss this watershed vintage of Garblèt Sué. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30