Canada Going Ahead with Vaccine Passport for Travel

Robjame

Well tonights supper was a lively event, with "lively" discussion re the travel passport.

The antivaxer DS was en pointe tonight..... DH can't get past the call to election, and I'm miffed that the Feds are involve with this passport, but there is no other way but, to have it federal, if we want international gates of entry to recognize us. 

Bring on the passport, and bring on my booster..... I am ready🛳️

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Well tonights supper was a lively event, with "lively" discussion re the travel passport.

The antivaxer DS was en pointe tonight..... DH can't get past the call to election, and I'm miffed that the Feds are involve with this passport, but there is no other way but, to have it federal, if we want international gates of entry to recognize us. 

Bring on the passport, and bring on my booster..... I am ready🛳️

So are we!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm in total favour of the federal passport, but I too can see delays while lawyers representing all of the involved parties work through the legislation governing the release of medical information. This website provides a quick glimpse of the nature and extent of federal, provincial, territorial and even municipal legislation.  https://www.colleaga.org/article/healthcare-privacy-legislation-canada

I'm hoping that there can be some early agreement that having been vaccinated for Covid-19 does not constitute personal medical information that needs protection. If you were given a vaccine to combat an STD or other existing medical condition, I can understand the need for protecting that information, but a vaccination that everyone should get is a very different thing as it doesn't reflect of your medical status.

I don't think it needs to get that complicated. If an individual wants a proof of vaccination passport she would submit an application that would include authorization for a limited release of data related to covid vaccination. 

Of course an even simpler solution would be legislation that made infectious disease vaccination status a matter of public record.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, iancal said:

I was SHOCKED when I went on my Alberta Health website account to see if my covid shots were recorded.  I had signed up for the account two years ago but I very had reason to access it other than set up my password.  Everything was there, including my medical etc from 9 years ago. 

Every time have had the flu shot (always gratis) we had to provide our health card number. Same for the travel clinic, etc.   Somehow the boffins figured out how to merge it into a patient friendly electronic record system that each of us could access.  

Seems to me when we lived in BC everything was similarly recorded.  Not certain if those records are on line and available to patients.  No idea what they did when we lived in Ontario or Quebec.

In theory it should be very easy but.....this is Government.

You were shocked to see them there??? Not sure i follow?

Transport Ministers comments on requiring vaccinations are interesting.  Included in the comments on Federal Employees I noted the following statement as well:

"Starting soon, all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

You were shocked to see them there??? Not sure i follow?

Surprised that they were so efficient!  And very surprised to see all our vaccinations from the mid 2000's plus the travel clinic vaccinations.

Very pleased with AHS-most especially their covid vaccination program.

Edited by iancal

1 minute ago, iancal said:

Surprised that they were so efficient!  And very surprised to see all our vaccinations from the mid 2000's plus the travel clinic vaccinations.

oh ok lol sorry i wasnt understanding.  I have my record already printed and stored with my passport for my cruise in November. 

9 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

oh ok lol sorry i wasnt understanding.  I have my record already printed and stored with my passport for my cruise in November. 

Perhaps by November we will have a Federal vaccination passport!  Here's hoping.  We are very pleased with the Federal Gov't announcement this morning....long overdue.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iancal said:

Perhaps by November we will have a Federal vaccination passport!  Here's hoping.  We are very pleased with the Federal Gov't announcement this morning....long overdue.

I agree i just hope testing requirements for flying are relaxed by then too if you have a vaccine passport.

“all commercial air travellers and passengers on interprovincial trains and large marine vessels with overnight accommodations (such as cruise ships) will have to be vaccinated, Alghabra said. He said accommodations will be made for "those few who are unable to be vaccinated," such as testing and screening.”

5 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I agree i just hope testing requirements for flying are relaxed by then too if you have a vaccine passport.

We do two extended independent trip a year pre covid. We really do miss travel but we are not complaining or worse...feeling sorry for ourselves.

Having said that, we are incredibly thankful that we or those close to us have not been impacted from a health perspective and a financial perspective.

Many others have experienced deaths in their family.   We have an amazing group of health care workers who are doing yeoman's work, long hours, day in and day out. Extremely thankful and appreciative of them.

Our very small job is to follow the directions of our health professionals and pandemic experts in order to help lessen the load for those on the front line of this battle.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

That makes me very happy to know that next time I fly all the passenger will be vaccinated.

So does that mean unvaccinated people can't enter Canada by plane?

I'm also thinking this will make a lot of Americans angry if they wanted to do Alaska from Vancouver or Victoria 🙂

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

That makes me very happy to know that next time I fly all the passenger will be vaccinated.

I'm also thinking this will make a lot of Americans angry if they wanted to do Alaska from Vancouver or Victoria 🙂

This may still be possible.  Entirely anyone's choice. American, Canadian, whatever.  The requirement is to have proof of being fully vaccinated.  No need to be angry  if the choice is theirs (and ours).

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Unvaccinated Canadian residents and foreigners with work or student visas, or new immigrants will still be flying into Canada.
Otherwise there will be serious consequences for our economy.

On a related note, once people are in Canada, the Canadian government would need enough vaccines on hand for anyone who had received Covaxin, Sputnik, Sinovac or Sinopharm.

Edited by gnr25
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gnr25 said:

On a related note, once people are in Canada, the Canadian government would need enough vaccines on hand for anyone who had received Covaxin, Sputnik, Sinovac or Sinopharm

Not a problem. Canada has bought or has on order some 120 million doses of mRNA vaccines.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, K_e_short said:

One would think... but... when they announced no Alaska season d/t Canada refusing cruise ships, the American posts were very positive and jubilant happy they could forgo any Cdn ports.... hmmmmm....They were happy to use Seattle as embarkation point, but there would have to be a foreign port in that itinerary, so??????????? I lost interest at that point.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

One would think... but... when they announced no Alaska season d/t Canada refusing cruise ships, the American posts were very positive and jubilant happy they could forgo any Cdn ports.... hmmmmm....They were happy to use Seattle as embarkation point, but there would have to be a foreign port in that itinerary, so??????????? I lost interest at that point.

Not surprising about the Americans being jubilant to forgo any Canadian port. Only 43% of Americans have passports vs.. about 60% in Canada and Australia.  Yanks are homebodies. If they want to see Paris, they don't need a passport, just fly to Vegas. All the sights and culture of Paris, without the foreigners! 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hahahahaha, I didn't know the passport info. Never thought about us travelling more, maybe it seems that there are more American's, because their population is so much larger, hence more travellers?? Or maybe just the places I go, they go.....LOL

I once stayed in the Paris hotel, LasVegas. Wasn't impressed, but their shows all round the city were great.

Viva Las Vegas baby!

Best part of Vegas for me, is Red Rock canyon and all the hiking in area. 

• Like 1

On the topic of passports that was a thing when I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2019.

We booked a bus tour that went from Skagway Alaska into the Yukon. The driver had to physically check that everyone had a passport.

Now as a Canadian I thought it was funny that I went from Canada to U.S. to Canada.

16 hours ago, K_e_short said:

On the topic of passports that was a thing when I went on an Alaskan cruise in 2019.

We booked a bus tour that went from Skagway Alaska into the Yukon. The driver had to physically check that everyone had a passport.

Now as a Canadian I thought it was funny that I went from Canada to U.S. to Canada.

We did the same.  The CBSA or RCMP who boarded the bus to ask everyone for citizenship was more interested in us Canadians than anyone else.  

• Like 1